michlynr
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

no cursor

[Post New]by michlynr on Apr 5, 09 5:36 AM
I downloaded this game but when i try to play i dont have a cursor on the screen it flickers on and off at time but i cant play it.
thanks, michelle

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:no cursor

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 8:41 AM
Do you have Vista? I know a person who was having a similar problem with a different game and what they had to do was to turn off mouse trails somewhere in their Vista settings; I don't remember where that setting was located, unfortunately. You might want to google and see if you can locate how to do that, just in case that is the problem.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 1:02 PM
Thank you! That will probably help some future posters.

Alex7154
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Alex7154 on Apr 5, 09 2:01 PM
I wanted to amend my last message and accidently deleted it. I suggested turning on your mouse trails, and it worked for some of the screens (Vista: Personalize=>Mouse Options=>Pointer Options=>Turn on Trails)

But, once I got inside to the game, the cursor disappeared again. It would highlight choices and worked my way to the Options panel. On turned off the Special Cursor and my mouse showed up. I slowed down the mouse trails to make it a little easier.

[Post New]by Bill92 on Apr 11, 09 5:26 PM
I also have no curser when attempting to play Alchemist's Apprentice. Mouse tails on or off. It loads the game ok then no curser. I am using a 64 bit machine running Vista.

Re: Cursor flickers, disappears completely, at rest; cursor only visible in motion

[Post New]by helmcken on Aug 25, 11 2:43 PM
I've sent a private thank-you to Howatch, but wanted all forum posters to know that the advice offered here works for games other than Alchemist's Apprentice!

I've recently downloaded Penny Dreadful's Sweeney Todd and tried to play it. But the cursor would only be visible if I kept the mouse in motion! Any time the cursor was at rest, it would disappear completely! The only other time it was visible was when the pointer's image changed from standard to symbolize a possible interaction. Then that custom image would show.
My laptop is current, runs dual OS: Linux-based Ubuntu on one side and Windoze Vista as the 2nd operating system - kept ONLY for gaming! (Other than Frictional Games, who released the most excellent Penumbra trilogy and the equally awesome follow-up Amnesia, I do not know of any games developed first for Linux, yet) Anyway, my system is up-to-date with all drivers, etc., is regularly "House-cleaned" and has run all games without issue. So, I knew this was a minor issue caused by this particular game.
I cruised several forums seeking an answer. After ensuring the Adobe Flash/Shockwave was the most current version and performing an uninstall (done thoroughly with the Your Uninstaller program - highly recommended for Windoze OS!!) and second installation, I arrived at Big Fish forums. Here, I came across Howatch's advice to Michlynr to try turning off the mouse trails. That solved it!! The cursor now stays visible even at rest! Thank-you!!!
I wanted to let everyone know that that advice is useful for many other gamers; even playing games other than Alchemist's Apprentice. It appears any game which uses this combo of Flash/Shockwave on a Vista OS might experience this issue and therefore benefit from this advice.
Thanks again, fellow gamers! Happy, safe, gaming everyone!

meav
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by meav on Jun 30, 14 4:58 PM
I use windows 8. I can download and activate the games but when I go to play the game no cursor is visible. Some times when moving the mouse one of the instructions such as the word play will light up which would indicate that the cursor is there but cannot be seen. Any ideas as to how the cursor can be made visiable

Go to: