Edited on 09/22/2014 at 7:51:24 AM PST

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Arizona Rose and the Pharaohs' Riddles here!`

[Post New]by firebird40 on Sep 22, 14 2:37 AM
Welcome back, Catbag! Glad to see you are feeling better

This game is not for me, I'm afraid. The first puzzles I encountered were not my favorites, and the game is nowhere close to a full screen for me- even on widescreen there were huge black bars. That usually makes it a no-buy for me.

Graphics were cartoon-like, and looked good on my computer. Definitely try this one for yourself, as the puzzles may be perfect for you. Just not my thing today, I guess.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 22, 14 2:52 AM
Happy Monday, ALL!

This game is played the same as other "riddlers" or "mosaics" or what-have-yous.
The story line was confusing. I don't think you can actually "get" it unless you played the previous game, which I did not, and it was constantly referred to.

The graphics were fine. I mean, seriously, they're blocks or a dot to represent a destroyed/empty block. I disliked that the "used" blocks looked like legos. Very disconcerting. The music did not mesh with the environment at all. It was supposed to be an Egyptian tale.

The gist of the game play is this: You create pictures using a blank grid, which you then "fill up" with blocks depending on the numbers on the top, bottom and left of the grid. There are 2 modes of difficulty - casual and hard. I played on casual so I could get the feel of the game. The first few levels are a tutorial that does a good job of explaining how to play the game. You get 4 hints per level. Each level gets progressively harder. Blocks are multi-colored in placement depending on the picture being created. Because that's what the game is all about, creating pictures.

Scattered among these "riddlers" are HOGs (hidden object games) which I found to be ridiculously easy. The mini games, as well, were very easy. There is also a "hint" button in the HOGs and a "skip" button in the mini games. I didn't use either.

While I really liked the fact that there were a smattering of HOGs and mini games to break up the monotony of the riddler levels, I was truly bored with the actual game. I have found, and own several, better and more exciting "riddler/mosaic games from the BFG site. For these reasons, this game will not be a purchase for me.

However, if you are new to this genre of game play, or want to play a relaxing, non-stressful game of riddlers, I would certainly encourage anyone from beginners to experts to try the demo.

Now, it's been a very l-o-n-g restless night and I plan to sleep all day You know where to find a more detailed review if you'd like to read it. Until next

Happy Gaming!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Arizona Rose and the Pharaohs' Riddles here!`

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 22, 14 3:34 AM
catbag8717 wrote:(I'm back, my friends!)

A thread for your reviews!

Welcome Back catbag871! You've been missed.

I really enjoyed the first game of Arizona Rose...but this one is NOT anything like the first one. IMO As always try the game for yourself. I won't buy it on sale/COTW/DD/Punch Card.

But to those who like it...Enjoy it!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 22, 14 7:50 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Arizona Rose and the Pharaohs' Riddles here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Arizona Rose and the Pharaohs' Riddles.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Sep 22, 14 11:08 AM
Since I had a pcc and it is Monday and I love these kind of games I went ahead and got it.

The first one was my favorite of these types and I was hoping I would enjoy this one as much. Unfortunately not so much. I now prefer the Fantasy Mosaic games.

Unlike the other ones of this type this one does get more challenging levels pretty quickly. Unfortunately the devs seem to think making the board itself smaller is the answer. I don't mind a 15 X 15 board but there is plenty of room to fill the screen more. Instead they have made the board tiny on some levels.

Another problem , and it was the same in the original, is that it is sometimes hard to distinguish between the background and the board itself. The colors are not that vibrant and tend to blend with the background.

I still enjoy it but I don't think I will replay it as often as I did the original if at all.

If you like this type of game then it is worth a sale price or a pcc. Not sure I would have spent full price on it though. I would recommend trying for yourself and using the whole demo to decide.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 22, 14 11:08 AM
This is the first time I have played a game of this type as I usually only play HOPAs, HOGs or Adventure games. so please bear with me.

At the onset I thought I wouldn't like it as there was no sound in the intro and quite a few speech bubbles I had to read, and there was no Skip button for them.

The tutorial started well and I read every word but then became confused when the instructions kept repeating something along the lines of "this tile needs the be turned over not broken" or vice versa. It was really frustrating as I had no idea what it meant so turned the tutorial off, after that I zoomed through Level 1 & 2

As I was enjoying the game so much I bought it with a PCC, and Level 3 was quite challenging to the point I was banging my head on my desk! Somehow halfway through Level 3 I was knocked back to Level 2 again, not sure why but I probably clicked on the wrong control button or something like that so I decided to quit for the day.

I read the all reviews on the game and noticed this was the 2nd in the series and a couple of fishies had said the latter was a much better game so I took a peak. IMO only, no it isn't. I have said before that I don't really notice the music unless it's annoying and the first game's was as I couldn't concentrate.

Overall I would give this 4 Stars. I also expect not to finish it for several years. I say this because when I got up this morning I finally completed the final 5 levels of a game I had purchased in August 2009!

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Sep 22, 14 11:50 AM
Can anyone tell me how big the puzzles get? I guess no one has had time to finish it yet, and I see someone hit 15x15, but is there anything bigger? If this is the same as many others and just goes to 20x20, then I'm not going to bother I don't think. I got the last Fantasy Mosaics game and it never got difficult either (plus it required guessing on some levels, which I hate).

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 22, 14 12:13 PM
I've only tried the trial period, but this game has not grabbed my attention. I do enjoy this kind of puzzle, but I'll have to try the first Arizona Rose (some reviewers have stated it's better that it's sequel) and see what I think. Thanks to all the reviewers who help all of us to make informed decisions about how to spend our money and our time!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 22, 14 1:42 PM
Hi all. Well, I have never done this before, but today is a very lazy day for me, so my review is as follows:

mrm2006 pretty much said it all. I'm a major HOG, HOPA, IHOP type player, but sometimes I just want a nice simple game to skate through the day. This one just didn't have anything that grabbed me, nor did it make me want to go out and purchase the game. Way too simplistic all the way around. I seldom ever do not recommend a game, but this one just did nothing for me, so no recommendation and no buy today. I'm not even sure a beginner would find this one all that much fun, but I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 22, 14 1:58 PM
DE- CODING AND PUZZLING DOWN THE NILE WITH ARIZONA ROSE

BF begins the week with a Grumpy Cat Monday surprise! Wow! What a great game! The Eye of Horus is upon you as you trek your way to Egypt in as you de-"code" your way deciphering tablets to discover the identity of the "Great Ones!"

This game will probably not appeal to everyone as it is puzzle-based and principally, "O'Ekaki" (AKA Paint by Number, Pic-A-Pix, Nonogram games which is a pictorial variation of Sudoku). There are also other puzzle type games which brings some variety to this game. I play these games while working on projects to help focus on creating design solutions - so I am certain many of you will not like this game.

STORY: You play Arizona Rose, a cryptanalyst, called in to decipher hieroglyphics in Egypt by her friend, Peter (who is very cute if he would shave the stubble). There is very little of a storyline in this game. You basically play puzzles throughout the game to discover the identity of the "Great Ones."

LEVELS: There are two levels which are based on difficulty for the puzzles

GRAPHICS: They are cartoonish and one-dimensional.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC:" There is not voice - so get ready to ready to read the whole narration (it will help your reading skills) which is extensive in this game.

I love this "muzac." It has an "arab"esque flair. Great music for belly dancing , floating down the Nile River, or you next Egyptian-themed party. Wow! I am so taking this music to my belly dancing class (great for your abs - so don't knock it!)

HOP SCENES, INVENTORY AND PUZZLES: The puzzles are mainly O'Ekaki with a few other variations as well such as variations of the "Pipe Connection Puzzle," and "Jig Saw" puzzle. This is very awesome to "moi." I located one hidden object silhouette puzzle. I stand corrected! It seems to be a hodgepodge of genres.

EXTRA GOODIES: You receive scores and are timed for your performance on the O'Keaki puzzles. You have hints available to you in the form of scarabs if you get stuck in the puzzles.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE NILE RIVER FISH FOR PROVIDING THIS GAME. Now to decode the rating on this game. I RATE THIS GAME 6 HIEROGLYPHS OUR OF 5 HIEROGLYPHS. Now to allow my Egyptian inner self out and boogie on down to the "muzac" while floating down the river

A MIGHTY BIG WELCOME BACK CATBAG! YOU ARE THE CAT'S MEOW!

Edited on 09/22/2014 at 4:35:23 PM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Sep 22, 14 2:45 PM
Now at level 4.1 so wanted to add to previous review.

Board is now at 20 X 20 which wouldn't be a problem but be warned the tiles are very very very tiny. Like this tiny . Actually might be a tad smaller. I have pretty decent eyesight ...with my glasses on and it wasn't very easy to see . Especially with the blending into the background.

To answer a previous question, the first game did have boards of 25 X 25 so would expect the same especially since I am at 20 X 20 with at least another level to go.

There are 5 levels ( I believe) with 30 boards. Not counting the tutorial section at the beginning.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Pharaohs' Riddles NOT a riddle - the answer is "it's a lousy game"

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 22, 14 7:11 PM
riefer wrote:Can anyone tell me how big the puzzles get? I guess no one has had time to finish it yet, and I see someone hit 15x15, but is there anything bigger? If this is the same as many others and just goes to 20x20, then I'm not going to bother I don't think. I got the last Fantasy Mosaics game and it never got difficult either (plus it required guessing on some levels, which I hate).

Have you tried the demo for Gemsweeper. Starts off easy, great for beginners, but it sure does get much harder. I've hit levels of up to 30x25 (yes, I own it). So, the easy firsties are very misleading. And I mean a 30 x 25 that has 2 2 1 on the 30 side.

Good luck and

Happy Gaming!

Susan

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Sep 23, 14 5:05 AM
I'm at level 5 which has 43 puzzles. The 5th starts with 25 x 25 grids.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Sep 23, 14 5:38 AM
Thanks Susan, I'll give that one a try!

Brendansoma and gobols, thanks for the additional info about this one.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 23, 14 1:27 PM
Love this game and have the other Arizona Rose game. There are not enough games like this and happy that there is another one. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 24, 14 3:53 AM
First time I play this type of game, classified in the category of "brain teaser", and really caught me, so I kept plaiyng for hours, and you get rewards and achviements too, it may sound silly, but it helps! A change of pace from the usual!

[Post New]by heleneshaw on Sep 30, 14 8:54 PM
Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles was already my favorite nonogram game. I kept wishing they'd come out with another one...

Well Kudos!

I love it! Only just a few still improvements, they've kept all the good stuff...

The only suggestion I would have for a sequel is that it would be great if the grids were larger in the 25 X 25 puzzles... Hard to see on a laptop!

All in all... totally worth the investment for me!

[Post New]by libragirl44 on Nov 5, 14 4:33 PM
Enjoyed the first Arizona Rose a lot, but the grid on this one is so small, hard to see; sore eyes!!! If it is this small now when I am at 20x20, I don't think I will bother to go on to 25x25. A shame!

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 4:33:49 PM PST

Go to: