bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Wanderland here

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 23, 14 11:01 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Wanderland here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Wanderland.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spolier is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

Edited on 07/10/2015 at 11:26:29 AM PST

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Wanderland here

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Sep 26, 14 3:11 PM
Initial reactions are mixed.
I like the idea, and the graphics.
But I'm slightly confused...it appears that the scenes need time to "recharge" (like those in MC) between searches. I quit MC several times (and, finally, quit it completely) because of that. In the case of this game, though, not only do the scenes have to recharge, but I have to have energy as well. Come on, one or the other, please!
My other objection is to the HOS. The essence of these games is to "hide" the objects in plain sight, but have them blend in with the background. In this game, it seems to me that the objects themselves are generally tiny, making it difficult for my 66-year-old eyes, and they are move too dramatically and too often for a realistic search. This is especially true as you advance through a few levels, since the time to search seems to diminish rather quickly. When I have a search scene with several new items, plus none of the old ones in any place I've found them before, it makes it impossible to finish without spending money/crystals/whatever it is in this game.
I do appreciate the cleverness of the hiding places, and I definitely appreciate the puzzles which need to be solved to progress.
But whether or not I'll continue to play will depend on the eyestrain headaches, I think.

dk413
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
469 Posts

[Post New]by dk413 on Sep 27, 14 7:34 AM
I agree with Ekstra. The game has real potential and some nice features like, the well, idol, & tent. The HOS and items are way to tiny and are hard on the eyes. Most of the quests early on just gave me other quests that are locked. The items we need to find, especially to battle and open new areas, do not show in the list of reward items in either the HOS or battles. The drop rate for needed items for battling, opening new areas and collections is abysmal. I have played to LV 16 to give it a chance. I have a quest from Fr Fernando needing holy water for almost a week, first when it was checked I was not at a high enough Hos level to get it, having achieved that after 23 tries it has not dropped. Having to use energy to get places and search/battle is a bit much.
Until some major improvements are made I would not recommend this game.

TeachumWell
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by TeachumWell on Sep 28, 14 9:48 PM
This is almost a fun game. I like the crisp graphics, the interesting characters and the interlocking quests. But there are downers, too, and these can lead to a frustration level that massively lowers the enjoyment factor.. What's the problem? The HO's. The graphics (especially in the hut) are dim, dull, and the items blend into the background far too often. Also, the added "shape search" items don't first appear in regular form so it's often hard to discern what they might be. And the last problem, the vanishing hints. I've no idea how to refill them and how some other mechanics work. A bit more direction would help. I'm gonna stay with the game a while longer and see if I can get help here. I want to play it, but it may end up as too frustrating to pursue. Hope some good changes come along.

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Sep 29, 14 8:25 AM
On the whole, I like the game. Like everyone has said, the graphics are great but the blotter is a real pain to spot!... though thank you for actually realising that it is called a blotter and not a stamp/rocker/reliquary!

I really dislike having to use energy to move - it is such a waste of such a small energy bar. Someone else mentioned that you have to use energy to go to a person to get a quest, use it to go to the scene to do the quest, sometimes use it to access the room, then use it again to go back to the person to get the reward. There is also a well which gives free energy every 6 hours or so and you have to use energy to get to it and get back to where you were... what a waste!

It does seem as if Artogon has looked at all the available free-to-play games and decided to have a bit of this and a bit of that. This means that the game play is all over the place. We need energy to move, energy to banish enemies, energy to search some scenes and once we've searched there's a timer to stop you searching again straight away.

I'd be much happier with this game if we only needed energy to search scenes and forget the movement energy and enemy banishing energy. Or just use energy to move and banish and keep the timer for the scenes but not need to use energy to search unless there is a curse in there.

Edited on 09/29/2014 at 8:27:31 AM PST

Gilead
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Gilead on Oct 5, 14 6:45 PM
The only thing I dislike about this game is that its literally forcing you to spend coins/diamonds to move forward, both of wich have a very low drop rate.

New HOS available when you get a level, should not need an item to unlock only available by purchasing it, either make it level restricted only, or have that item be a drop in a previously opened HOS, or drastically lower the amount of coins for the item (took me over a week of saving coins to open the crypt).

The upgrades on the well, the idol, the outpost, and any other similar feature, should be done at our discretion, not forced on us, as it is the case at the moment. 8 diamonds for the 3rd upgrade on the well, and you can't use it until you upgrade it, that's just saying "if you don't spend your cash on diamonds, screw you".

Items needed to fight mobs, again, drop rate is ridiculously low, again seemingly to be so to force us to spend real money.

FTP = Free To Play

Not Forced To Pay.

Other FTP are fun because, you can advance at a good pace, without spending money.

I've been playing Wanderland since day one, and have just reached level 10....

[Post New]by skipperpaul on Oct 7, 14 4:51 PM
Great game, really enjoying it but I think if there was more money and more experience early on while you figured the game out it would be easier to get hooked. I'm playing 2 games because I run out of money and experience quickly and one of me is doing so much better than the other which is fun. Happy to pay into FTP games but not until I'm sure I want to carry on.

[Post New]by hellsfury64 on Oct 9, 14 1:08 AM
Thanks. I really like the game so far. That being said, it should be fun, as in entertainment, not work.

I don't mean for this to sound the way it's going to come out, bluntly put, I pay my dues to BFG, so I expect "free to play" games to really be that. The only thing the developer gets is fans of their work who may purchase future games from them. It's the cost of doing business.

Personally, I do not ever pay for in game purchases, unless it is something special that is an extra to the game, not an integral part of it. I'll wait two months to gain enough points rather than purchase more unless it is a lifetime supply of energy for under $5. There are BFG games that do that. A new game every day means I have to be fully vested in this game and care what happens to the characters to play this instead of one of the others. The games need to advance at a fair pace and keep up with those of us who play for 5-6 hrs into the night. Energy needs to refill,or I play something else. Stuff has to drop rather frequently or I play something else. Coins need to build up enough for anything we need to buy without waiting for even one day. I don't want to waste energy, coins, crystals or my time.

I've only ever seen one idiot say I want it to be real. Most people play to get away from the daily grind,not to add to it. No one needs extra aggravation. You want to make it better and make your supporters happy? Take away the energy usage for talking and movement (to and from people, portals and HOS sites)and let things drop more frequently. There shouldn't be anything we can't win to get ahead, including crystals and entry into new level scenes.The game needs a bit more direction. There are two many things available to do at once, instead of following a storyline through with a limited number of quests that lead to the next portal. As it stands, I can play for days without needing to do anything for any main portal quest.Play the game yourselves for 6 hours straight and see what disturbs you in the game. Play, as a player, not thinking what-so-ever as a business person. Please don't think of us as x number of players times X number of $. Everyone here is happy to help you make this the best game possible. We will tell you every little glitch, every little thing we'd like added or taken away, or altered in the game. That's an awful lot of free employees. Want $$$? Make your NPCs something extraordinary you can market,Tee shirts whatever, just don't squeeze it out of us!

Again, I do enjoy the game, and hope to see it progress well. I'd like to see original stories too that you can build off of later for future games.Good luck!

nedp
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by nedp on Oct 9, 14 5:04 AM
hellsfury64 wrote:
The games need to advance at a fair pace and keep up with those of us who play for 5-6 hrs into the night. Energy needs to refill,or I play something else. Stuff has to drop rather frequently or I play something else. Coins need to build up enough for anything we need to buy without waiting for even one day. I don't want to waste energy, coins, crystals or my time.

There are two many things available to do at once, instead of following a storyline through with a limited number of quests that lead to the next portal. As it stands, I can play for days without needing to do anything for any main portal quest.

I have read Hellsfury review for the game and shall always say each to their own but I do disagree with the 2 above paragraphs where the expectations for a game like this is a bit unrealistic - if you play 5 - 6hrs a night you can't expect a free to play to keep up with that level of play. The volume of game play / quests required by the creaters to generate is way too excessive that only a pay to play like EVE etc have the manpower and finances to be so immersive.

This is a small company so resources are limited and I think they have done well for their first venture in free to play - if you don't want to waste your time waiting around for the game try playing a few different ones at the same time both for the variety and distraction.

I dont want this game to be a walk in the park either, thats what sets it apart for the time being esp is that its not linear I love that! bring on the quests at least you aren't left wondering what to do next and that when on forums we see players can be on the same lvl but doing different quests.
As for needing a few days at times to complete quests and build up resources its better than no challenge at all which would happen if everything was in abundance right from the get go there would be no reason to want to advance (but some drop rates do need tweaking)

I respect your opinion Hellsfury and know you have some really good points but I don't want this game dumbed down there needs to be some like this otherwise I would still be just concentrating on ART & AK which is what this game would become - very repetitive and boring

hopefully this game will have something to keep everyone happy as time goes on but I think we need to give it time to find its feet otherwise you are better off coming back in 6 months to see if all the wrinkles have been ironed out and gameplay is smoother

[Post New]by hellsfury64 on Oct 9, 14 1:43 PM
I don't play for that long at one sitting,but I do know a few who do on AK. I don't want it to end up like that where everyone is given everything to catchup when they haven't played that long. It should be relatively easy at first, getting harder as the game goes along, but gradually. A level should be that much change in difficulty only, one level harder.

My comments where strictly because I am a business owner, so I look at everything through those eyes. I was talking to the developers knowing full well that many with a few dollars is better than a few with a lot. Some games have become vidos, toys, stationary, you name it. The games themselves are still free.It takes planning from the get go. I want them to do this here. It has the potential.

I looked into what we'd need to do to get in with BFG ourselves and I try as many games as I can. Some I fall instantly in love with and some are pretty much the same as what you find out there all the time, even if they are great games, it becomes monotonous. I think this has potential to become something special, but I need to get into the game before they expect so much in expenditures of energy and collectables. Others, play much more than I do. I can't level up by 10 in 2 days. I haven't even had the chance to see if rubies drop from anywhere similar to the well or idol or just from leveling up. Your game play must be different than mine as I had a whole day logging in a few times, not wanting to use up my rubies due to energy running out, and didn't go back through any fairy tale portal at all during that time. I'm not forced to in the game,so I do quests near where I am first so I don't waste my energy moving or on cursed scenes. I will once I build up some cash, but I don't feel a need to do things just to level up. I never worry about no new quests as I just like to explore in the games. This is what I meant by being vested in the characters. The art is great. How about a cut scene of the battle with a skeleton? Something like that would set it apart. I want to see all the little things they've put into the game. Literally. I hate having a timer on the HOS.There is so much going on, as an artist, I'd like to appreciate the artwork. I don't need tiny little things, I want beautiful, possibly intricate items, that may overlap, intertwine, what-have-you, but being kind to those with vision/computer/mouse problems.

[Post New]by hellsfury64 on Oct 9, 14 1:46 PM
I was thinking of a few AK players I know who play that much. My laptop wouldn't allow it if I wanted. I always get everyone else new and take the oldest one!

Vernier2
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Vernier2 on Oct 19, 14 2:13 PM
Great game but very expensive! Too costly to be your only game but perfect to flick in and out of while you play other games and wait for updates elsewhere. I would like to play more but run out of energy very quickly and don't see any way to increase except leveling up or paying 45 rubies in the shop.

DiDi212
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by DiDi212 on Nov 11, 14 7:15 AM
This popped up as a new release today, but I see from reading other reviews this game has been out for a while. I found this game to be very juvenile. The game play is sluggish. I had to delete this game and re-install it because it froze the first time. I also see it has lots of posts in the technical-issue portion of the forum. It played okay after I re-installed it. The colors are very nice but everything is small. The HOS are list type. Only 6 items to find and they are in plain sight. Also scenes are repeated with the same objects - some in the same place -- unacceptable IMHO. I don't have patience for a game like this. I thought it was horrible. I only played to the swamp area so maybe I gave up too soon but nothing about this game could compel me to continue. Please no offense to those who loved this game. It's just not my cup of tea -- and at 65 I've had lots of cups LOL.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Nov 11, 14 8:48 AM
I had to walk away while the game loaded up the first time and missed the beginning. Could not find a way to turn off/down the music, to give my player a name, or any way to get to a main menu, including exiting the game. Absolutely hated the huge arrows holding my hand and not allowing me to do anything but click where they pointed. Had to use Task Manager to get out of it. A definite no for me.

Vernier2
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Vernier2 on Nov 11, 14 1:09 PM
You should persevere twinsoniclab it sure does get harder! I have scenes with 20 items to be found in 48 seconds, really challenging! The rewards you are getting without trying are going to be so appreciated further in the game, candles and ribbons especially. I play several FTP games and look forward to coming back to this one most. I especially love going round collecting my free rewards when they come and battling the gremlins that come out to infect the sites, although doing a scene upside down or foggy is fun too. I did find if you want to rush ahead you have to buy resources but with patience its as FTP as any. Great game.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 11, 14 1:18 PM
For those who enjoy these FTP games - knock yourself out. This is the second one I have tried and I don't like this one either. This game reminds me too much of role playing games of years gone by. To me, there is just way too much going on and I do not want to "reside" in a game in perpetuity. Anyone remember the legends about those who got lost in "Dungeons and Dragons?" I don't think it would be that bad with this game however. LOL I think I'm going to stick with the old-time HOP/Adventure games. Personally I like a new game everyday. I have no desire to join an alternate universe LOL. I am even in the process of selling my "rare" hard-to-find Magic cards on online. Some of those babies will bring some big bucks as well. Yeah- more money for moi. Everything magical has lost its "magic" for me including this game.

[Post New]by mellowtraumatic on Nov 12, 14 3:40 AM
Thanks for the reviews, guys! I was almost tempted to try this one but then I noticed it has an energy bar, which is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I wanted to check the reviews just in case I was missing anything special. Doesn't look like that's the case here.

griller1
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by griller1 on Nov 15, 14 4:58 PM
well now I got a little tired with midnight castle so I tried wanderland..... I wandered around aimlessly for a few levels and came to the conclusion I knew nothing of what to do so I just walked away from this one

shimmer66
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by shimmer66 on Nov 15, 14 8:37 PM
Hmm. Well, I've played a lot of FTP HO games--Awakening Kingdoms, Found, Midnight Castle, Agency 33--so I tried this one out.

Graphics are lovely, and the layout reminds me of Found, but without the randomness--no aliens, Incas, and lost boy scouts here! Otherwise, it feels a bit unfinished. Lots of potential, and while it has enough variety and interesting mystery to it, it's not lost in its own darkness like MC.

Been playing since yesterday and am at around level 8--the first couple levels come real fast, which is nice because the energy bar gets refilled. The scenes are pretty good--not real inventive, but not completely routine either. Heard a lot of talk on the forum about how small the objects to find are, but they're not really so different than the size of some of the objects on AKingdoms in the higher scenes--Druid's Hut + I mean.

Like Found and Agency 33, there are a lot of mobs. Unlike Found and Agency 33, the items to banish the mobs are pretty hard to get a hold of. The drop rate in the scenes is more like Found, very sparing, and it makes it difficult due to the low energy recovery rate and short energy bar. This is also something that has been on the forum, and here I will agree. There needs to be something done about the energy rates--either the recovery rate upped, or the drain down. Just so long as its something.

One thing that might be considered is doing something with a drop rate on rubies, something similar to that on AKingdoms. Either that or, like on AKingdoms, get some energy items that you can play gold for. The 2500 price on the recovery rate potion isn't too bad--I haven't tried it, so I don't know how effective it is. But to have a simple one like the low energy item on AKingdoms (I think it's a sandwich?) to buy with gold would be good, because then you could actually get a bit excited about earning money in game to keep on top of it.

So I guess, my rating for this game is higher than Found and MC, but lower than Agency 33 and AKingdoms. It has a lot of potential, and I look forwards to seeing where it will go from here. Keep up the good work!

Edited on 11/15/2014 at 8:39:30 PM PST

dk413
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
469 Posts

[Post New]by dk413 on Nov 17, 14 9:14 AM
Sorry to say I will be deleting this game. I first began playing when it came out in September. Thought the game had a lot of potential, I liked it even though it had a lot of issues which had been expressed in the forum. However, since then I had to re-install the game 3 times because the game would only let me get so far before the only quests I had were impossible to complete and more forward. Either no gremlins showed up or we were asked to craft a creation. Not only were the activators unavailable but also some pieces we need. All three times it happened at different levels from 15-24. The quests we are given to do at the beginning that are locked are many and pointless that early. The items that are awarded in the HOS scenes do not match what we need to complete the quests we have and more forward. I anxiously awaited the update but thankfully I read the forum before downloading it. Things went from bad to worse. With the last update so many players have left the game. It is too bad.

I know it is only a game and whether to play or not, is our choice but it is still sad when a game makes playing on nearly impossible.

Good luck everyone.

Go to: