catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 25, 14 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:26:54 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret here!

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 25, 14 12:52 AM
ONE OF THE BEST GAMES THIS YEAR (AT LEAST TO "MOI") BASED ON THE BETA OF THIS GAME

SOTHEBYS WOULD RENDER THIS GAME OF A TOULOUSE-LAUTREC MASTERPIECE WELL WORTH THE CE PRICE.

"PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" MOVES TO THE MOULIN ROUGE AND SOLVING THIS CASE WILL BLOW THE "WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND."

BF is making the French connection this week with a series of games set in Paris. Today's offering by the PixIES is an amalgamation of different themes to create a wonderful, suspenseful detective story.

"Effort exceptionel mes chers développeurs" What a great game! The only CE games I have been purchasing lately are the ones from these devs I love the masterful way it has been constructed and it is not overloaded with gimmicks.

STORY: A enthralling, suspense-filled "whodunit" set in 1887 during construction of the Eiffel Tower You play Madame Roche, a private detective. Sophie, the star of the "la danse classique" (ballet) at the Crimson Cabaret, is found dead seemingly due to natural causes. Actually the Crimson Cabaret was more known for the "scandalous" creation of the can-can rather than ballet. These dancers were really not the "ballet" type.

However, the famous Parisian artist, Henri Toulouse-Lautrec "paints" a different picture of her death. He believes she has been murdered. Feeling time is growing "short Toulouse-Lautrec," begs your help in locating her killer and avenging her murder. As you arrive at the Crimson Cabaret, you see the janitor being arrested for the crime. However, after doing an autopsy on the corpse, you are certain it is not him. By chemical analysis, you soon realize she was poisoned by Parisian Green, an insecticide.

Many questions arise as to the murderer and even I, your amateur sleuth and writer, have not been able to figure out the killer. You must collect and analyze evidence to locate the killer. Is it possible Sophie's friend and fellow dancer Odette is the culprit? Could jealousy be a motive for her boyfriend, the Baron to kill her? And who is the "Phantom of the Moulin" who is hiding behind a mask? Is he or "she" the killer?

LEVELS: There are 3 levels plus the ability to customize the game.

GRAPHICS: This dev has the BEST GRAPHICS on this site. They are three-dimensional, beautiful, and "magnifique." There is also mouth movement by the characters in the story.

PACE: This game is very engaging and suspenseful. It is paced to keep one's inte

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:30:09 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 25, 14 12:54 AM
CONTINUED

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC: "La tristesse durera toujours" (The sadness will last forever) for our Henri. "Notre petit homme" (Our little man) had such a great "grand amour" for his dancers at the Moulin Rouge (actually not quite the ballerina type) and it is reflected in the music in this game. A "chanson triste" (sad song of lament) hauntingly echoes throughout this game. The mouth movement of the characters perfectly matches the voice.

HOP SCENES, PUZZLES AND INVENTORY: Wow! These devs are ingenious masters in creating the puzzle-like HOP scenes in this game. The HOP scenes not only contain elements related to French culture, but are historically accurate for this period as well. The scenes are multi-faceted with HOP puzzles within each HOP scenes - rather like a picture within a picture. There are also mini-HOP scenes. They are so cleverly done and very innovative

You have an alternative Match 3 game instead of playing the HOP scene. I will replay this game because the Match 3 is innovative as well and I really wanted to play both! Amazing!

The inventory is interactive as well. The puzzles are variations of those we have seen before but well-done.

EVIDENCE: The game has an evidence board which allows you to collect and analyze data from the crime. You receive a detective kit with supplies to collect samples, a magnifying glass to analyze data, and a fingerprint kit.

EXTRA GOODIES: You collect "moulins" (windmills). You receive achievements for your good work in solving this case. There are morphing objects to collect as well.

MAP: You receive the map shortly after receiving your detective kit. It indicates active areas and allows transport to those locations.

I RATE THIS GAME DIX (10) MOULINS OUT OF CINQ (5) MOULINS. THIS GAME IS TWICE THE GAME OF ANY OF THE CE'S WE HAVE HAD IN QUITE SOME TIME!

FINAL THOUGHT: BF HAS BEEN ON AN EXTENDED PARISIAN "TOUR DE JOUR." CAN WE PACK OUR BAGS NOW AND MOVE ON? TOO MUCH FRENCH CUISINE CAN LEAD TO BORING LEFTOVERS.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:31:48 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 25, 14 1:24 AM
This game is excellent Kuddo's to the DEV;s for all there hard work and time they spent on this game DEV's this game is a winner the graphics are so clear and the music is awesome..I recommend this game you will love the story line..Thx BF for giving us this beautiful game to play today.. 5

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:32:58 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 25, 14 2:46 AM
This game goes beyond beautiful and stunning. It has more than you ever could expect or want in a game. Beyond magnificent! I'll leave all the details to those reviewers who have done and will do a great job!

And I have to say this first...I APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S REVIEW! No matter how short or long or with one line or one Emoticons! Rather Pro or Con...Everyone's review is valuable and important and much needed & appreciated!

This is one of the Best games I've seen in years! The quality of the animations & graphics are beyond what we usually get! The extras are more than we've ever been offered in a game.

This game is a dream come true! It is ART personified! Bold/Challenging/Beautiful/Surprising/and is Awe Inspiring!! This is a Buy with out doubt! IMO

Be sure to read the Codex in the Extras...it gives you the real History of this fantastic story and truth! I highly Recommend this game. Bravo to the Developers on a job that exceeds expectation and desire!
Thank you for giving us a much needed quality game!

I give this game my Best Rating: “DIVINE FINE SWINE”

“These are my terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games.

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

"edited for spelling"

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:33:15 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret Review - Part 1

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 25, 14 4:38 AM
The popular, beautiful and talented Star of the Moulin Rouge, Sophie, was murdered. And, by her death, secrets long buried are now exposed. But, what are those secrets? And who can they harm? And how?

I was very impressed with this game. The graphics were amazing, the music beautiful and the voice overs perfect with lip syncing (thank you DEVS).

There are 4 difficulty modes (casual, challenging, expert and, yes, CUSTOM). Objectives pop up in a box telling you what your next objective is and when an objective has been achieved. There is an Achievements (25) button near your Inventory. Plus items will be in your inventory a LOT.

The optional "tutorial" was annoying to me. Usually, after reading whatever instruction it gives you, you can click the "x" button or anywhere outside the instructions and it will go away. Not so here. Until you perform THAT instruction, it will stay like an annoying little flying insect around your head.

Eventually, you will find a "journal". However, when you hover your mouse over it, it's titled an "Evidence Board". Blooper? Upon opening there is a dossier of all parties involved in the investigation. As you play the game, an Exclamation Point (!) will appear on it as well as the pictures inside. Here, you will see what new "evidence" has been found. There is also an "Objectives" and "Task" tab at the top.

Also eventually, you will receive a map. (whew!) Task and Objectives are indicated on the map using very tiny icons. Truthfully, so small I almost missed them completely. You will also receive location cards to give the driver of your carriage. There is no legend for "this is where you need to be", etc.

The HOGs were vary interactive and there are a variety of ways to play. In the list items type, there is an alternative match 3 game you can play. Very easy. And, sometimes there are mini games IN the HOGs. Way cool!

As for the mini games. I found there were more available than HOGs. At least in the demo. Fun, some new things we've not seen before. Some require patience (a virtue) and perseverance . I believe I skipped one to get back to the game play but WHEN I OWN this game, I will finish it - guar-an-teed!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:38:53 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret Review - Part 2

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 25, 14 4:50 AM
Sorry for the longest review ever but a great game deserves detail

Where was I??????

Your character is Madam Roche and you have been hired by the renowned and talented artist, Lautrec, to find out the truth behind Sophie's murder. You will bring with you an "Evidence Bag" - full of all kinds of goodies for investigating DEAD BODIES!

CE Bling: NOW I'm impressed - lol.
Besides the usual fare of wallpapers, music, etc. we have:
Achievements - 25 - viewable whenever you choose.
BONUS HOP (in addition to the replayable HOPs)
Souvenir Room
Collectibles (I did not find ONE collectible during the demo, but that doesn't mean anything as I was REALLY into the game). Sorry.
Codex - love it! There are 8 pages available and it gives great info.
Making Of: LOVE LOVE LOVE this. You HAVE to watch it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this newest installment of the Danse Macabre series. IMO it's the best one yet. Mystery, adventure, a history of the time period and the people involved. So much to offer. I couldn't get enough and was devastated when it was over. So, it's a DEFINITE purchase for me. Not only the game intrigued me but the CE offers were enough to convince me to get the CE version - I think. I'm terribly wishy-washy! Sorry.

I believe this game would be great for beginners to experts, depending on the difficulty level you choose. I always play "casual" in the demo offerings so I can get a better idea of what the game has to offer those who choose that setting. I do hope this encourages you to try the demo. Come, join me in finding out the mystery behind the death of Sophie.

A definite 5 for me. And THAT is extremely rare I want this game NOW! But, as is MY habit, I wait for bonus punch Monday.

For a MUCH more detailed review, please check me out on the game page later in the day when it's posted. And a big Thank You to those who do take the time to read it. I really appreciate it.

ENJOY!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:39:12 PM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 25, 14 5:38 AM
Based on the demo which I played on Custom mode but only changed the sparkles in the HOS feature, I knew this game would be excellent after watching the opening scenes.

Voice Overs - Very well done including the lip synch.
HOS - Interactive, clear, with mini pop-up HOS and a dog who helps find an item. Please Note: To all of you who hate helpers the dog only appeared in the HOS nowhere else in the game play. A Match 3 game can be played instead of the HOS
Mini Games/Puzzles - Quite a few, some short and sweet, others take longer and I liked all of them.
Evidence Board - Each time you meet a character a picture of them goes into it with a short description of how they relate to the game or to other characters. It also shows you the next Objective.
Detective Tools - So far I have a magnifying glass and cotton buds for collecting samples, I am hoping more tools will be added as there's certainly room for them in the case.
Collectables - 41 windmills to find, not too difficult at the moment but that might change.
Morphing Objects - Unbelievably I completely forgot to look for them!!

There was one thing I did not like in the game and that was the carriage driver whipping the horse, totally unnecessary and cruel in my opinion.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:42:25 PM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 25, 14 5:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: Crimson Cabaret Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:44:30 PM PST

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Sep 25, 14 7:00 AM
nice game, but one of the best...not for me
and I have to think twice if it will be a buy
sorry

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:45:43 PM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Sep 25, 14 7:07 AM
yvonnehoho wrote:nice game, but one of the best...not for me
and I have to think twice if it will be a buy
sorry

can you tell me what you don't like??

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:46:47 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 25, 14 7:47 AM
Daxadillion wrote:
Collectables - 41 windmills to find, not too difficult at the moment but that might change.
Morphing Objects - Unbelievably I completely forgot to look for them!!

There was one thing I did not like in the game and that was the carriage driver whipping the horse, totally unnecessary and cruel in my opinion.

Hey Dax,

Thanks for the short, sweet and concise review. Why can't I do that????

The collectibles were "windmills". I didn't get ONE collectible during the entire demo. Didn't know to look for and, really, wasn't actively looking as I was in total "game mode".

And .... "MORPHING OBJECTS"!?!?!?! There are "morphing objects"? Where? How did you know? If I couldn't find a stupid windmill, I sure wasn't going to find a morphing object. Good catch. Now, I'm DEFINITELY buying the CE!

Great job!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:48:09 PM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 25, 14 11:34 AM
The graphics are sharp. The artwork is beautiful and has a vibrant and varied color palette. There are fine details, like rainbows flickering in a water spray, throughout the game. The voice overs are very well done. Together with the pleasing music they establish the story firmly in its Parisian setting.

The story is fairly typical in that you play an investigator out to solve the mysterious death of a prominent person. What is different is that it is advanced as much by game play as it is by dialogue and cut scenes. The actions you perform as the investigator directly contribute to what you learn about what happened and who was involved. The cut scenes are very well done and present in an amount that carry the story forward without making the game feel like a movie. You meet several characters along the way and each is given an individual personality with believable details. Interactions with them help round out the story.

The adventure component feels like an adventure rather than a simple exercise in inventory collection. It is story driven with clear objectives and clever tasks. I never needed to use the hint button to figure out what to do but I also never got the feeling that I was replaying a game I'd played before or that it was just too easy. Making a game that is intuitive and yet not typical or simple is one of the biggest challenges facing a HOPA developer in my opinion. In this game the developers made accomplishing that look effortless.

The HOS are all interactive and none were very hard. They were fun though, present in a good amount, and full of interesting actions. The puzzles ranged up to moderate difficulty and they were also fun. I would include the detective set your character uses among the puzzles and I liked how this feature incorporated solving a puzzle directly into the story.

The game ran very smoothly and the user interface is sensible and easy to use. The tool bar locks and the map takes you where you want to go (via your carriage). There are windmills to collect and achievements. The game also mentions souvenirs and morphing objects but I didn't find an example of either although I finished the demo with half an hour to spare.

Overall, this is a very well made and immersive game. I plan to buy it and I'll give my review at the main site when I complete it. If it continues as it starts this is a 4.5-5 star game for me.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 1:49:35 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 25, 14 11:55 AM
Oh La La!! I even left the music on , like Cadenza. It all fits, a sweet work of art, like Toulouse himself, complete with the hat. I haven't been buying CEs lately so buying this is a real compliment to the developers. I love all of their games and own every one of them!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:00:43 PM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Sep 25, 14 12:24 PM
Good reviews but a little verbose for my tastes. I prefer to look at screen shots, read synopsis & review demo before deciding. My old eyes tend to glaze over with too much reading.....

Liked the game. Graphics were better than some of the games we've been getting lately. Character movements/VO were spot on. Music was very appropriate for setting. Loved the interactive HOS but did not try the MATCH 3 games. I find them silly, pointless & something to amuse children. (Sorry, don't meant to offend anyone who truly loves them).

EIPIX is quite the prolific developer & I find that they make more games not to my taste than ones I really enjoy. Happily this is one I can recommend.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:13:01 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 25, 14 1:00 PM

Rouge, French For Murder

From the title you know this takes place in Paris. The year is not noted, but these are horse and carriage days. The famous artist Henri Lautrec summons you, detective Madame Roche, to investigate the murder of Sophie, a young and talented entertainer at the famous club. But before you get very far in your investigation, another terrible event occurs.

The drawing is beautifully done and the locations are distinct and imaginative. However the artwork is not sharply defined, so there is a slightly fuzzy aspect to each scene. The palette is full of reds (rouge), yellows and browns and scenes are highly detailed.

Voice acting was well done with a variety of voices. Did you hear it? There was even a nice, subtle echo effect in one scene where appropriate. However, despite their best efforts I could still detect a background Russian accent in most of the actors. Nevertheless, it was only slight and the characters came to life as they should.

A "must have" for any detective is a forensic kit. Yours is rather simple, consisting of cotton swabs (did they have them back then?), gloves, tweezers, and a magnifying glass. Another detective staple is an evidence board, which shows the suspects, their background, and connection to the victim and/or any evidence.

Game play is mostly puzzle based with a few hidden objects thrown in. The menu shows there are 25 mini-games and 14 HOPs. This Collector's Edition includes replay of all those plus a bonus HOP. There are also 41 collectible windmills, bonus chapter, and the strategy guide. Other (pseudo) extras are a codex which tells the story of the characters, a making of movie, pictures, movies, music, and souvenir room.

There is a map which is a jump map. Typical of recent games it is really just a view showing the different locations, not really a true map. But you will use it frequently. There is also a match 3 option for HOPs which, as you might guess, was not explored by this reviewer. There are three standard difficulty levels, plus a fully customizable fourth level.

This has a lot going for it. An interesting story and characters, exotic and intriguing locations, and an abundance of interactive puzzles and games. It's also not too difficult so it should appeal to many levels of players.

Four 1/2 rouge roses for Crimson Cabaret 1/2

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:14:14 PM PST

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 25, 14 1:23 PM
This game was a "meh" for me. It did not capture me or my imagination and I was not really wanting to carry on too much further. It seemed like some other games that I had played.

Maybe the SE will capture me when I am in a different mood. But it seemed really dull.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:15:28 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 25, 14 1:28 PM
Hi all. I see we have the 2nd in the DM series. Really liked the first and this one is just as good. I seldom ever go into the story, as others have done a very nice job of that in their reviews already. Again, I always demo in casual mode to get a feel for the games and yes, I do replay the games I have purchased. That said, colors are very bright for the most part. Some areas are a bit dark but light enough to do what is needed. Game play was very good. Graphics are well done. There wasn't much in the way of animation during the demo, but it worked. Voice overs were well done and appropriate for the location, age and character, but personally, I would rather not have talking faces jump off the screen at me. I don't care if their mouth moves when they talk or not, just odd for a face to suddenly appear when they are already on the screen. Music was nice and somewhat soothing, but did move with what was happening in the scene at the time.

HOPs were interactive and fun, with silhouettes and straight HOP and were very well done. No clutter and items were not difficult to find. You could switch to a match 3 for a change of pace. Puzzles were very simple with no challenge so far. SG was okay, but found the hint system to be far more helpful, since it also transported you to your next location and filled fairly quickly.

I read other reviews, which help me know what type of collectible I need to look for. I often get so engrossed in a game that I forget to look for them. The 41 windmills (which are only the fan and not the entire mill) are not difficult to find. Saw that there are 14 morphing objects as well, but couldn't find any until it dawned on me where to look (no spoiler here). These objects are a bit challenging to find. There are numerous achievements, but I haven't run across anything new yet.

I do not give 5 stars easily and for some reason, I just can't for this game either. It is a very nice game and one that I am going to purchase, but something is missing. There doesn't seem to be as much excitement as there should be and hardly any sound FX. However, I think this will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:16:48 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 25, 14 5:30 PM
It's a very nice game. I completed the 90 minute trial in 52 minutes so it's relatively easy but the visuals and voice acting are good and it was a relaxing way to spend an hour.

I wouldn't say this is the best game of the year but it *is* high quality that deserves to be called a collector's edition.

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:22:55 PM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Sep 25, 14 6:45 PM
I've only played the demo version, but THANK YOU for a wonderful demo! After the last few CE games have had glitches, I was happy to have absolutely no trouble with the demo. The graphics are beautiful, the instructions are clear, great audio, and the characters mouths move precisely to the words. I'm am definitely buying this game and am looking forward to the full version! Love it!

Edited on 01/13/2015 at 2:23:47 PM PST

Go to: