Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Legends: Song Of The Dark Swan Collector's Edition Here!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 27, 14 2:08 AM
Can't believe I am the first one into the pond today! Hi all!

Edited on 09/27/2014 at 7:27:45 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Legends: Song Of The Dark Swan Collector's Edition Here!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 27, 14 2:10 AM
Looking Very Promising****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
A very low key start to the second Grim Legends game. The first reaction is to the graphics, which as stated, don’t feel complete. They in fact look like very cool concept art, and I found myself liking the art just the way it was.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The art style clearly echoes the first Grim Legends, The Forsaken Bride. There is that same bold saturated colour, the same rich texture. And some marvellously conceived creations. The voices sound good, but they aren’t synched and their intonation is sometimes off. The music is fabulous and the sounds are quite good. I liked the music designed to build tension in particular.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You are a healer called in to assist the queen, who has never spoken. Things go badly wrong from the beginning, and before you can even examine her, her baby is kidnapped and the queen thrown in the dungeon, allegedly for practising dark magic. The king is convinced of her innocence, and begs for your help. The dowager (the queen’s mother-in-law) is, frankly, less than convincing in her grief. In your investigation you begin to discover the history of the kingdom and its neighbour, and how the past plays a part even now in the present. You are not sure just where all this will lead, but it is becoming more and more dangerous.

GAMEPLAY
This game does have a similar style to its predecessor’s gameplay, with the first Grim Legend. This story too involves the need to manufacture potions and elixirs. There is a herbarium in the notebook to help, and one of the HOPs it is needed to identify a particular herb, which then you must find several of in the scene. Other HOPs include a fragmented object game and progressive silhouettes. All three HOPs require some interaction.

The puzzles are familiar ones given new twists, and they are not all that easy. In fact, I skipped a few. Other areas of interest – an interactive jump map, a directional hint, 3 levels of difficulty, inventory lock, notes with map, objectives, and herbarium. You befriend a swallow which then stays with you to help with those high places. There are also some fun touches, such as the bas relief knight in your bedroom tapping his fingers impatiently, and the baby’s toy.

CE BLING!
There are 31 collectible medical emblems similar to the caduceus, with an indication in the location of whether you have already found this or not. They are not overly easy to be found. There are achievements, with separated performance and story ones. The HOPs (13) are replayable. There are the usual gallery items – wallpaper (just locations), concept art, videos, music.

COMBINED IMPACT
This promises to be as good a game as the first Grim Legends, in fact, I think it is shaping up to be better yet.

I recommend this game!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Legends: Song Of The Dark Swan Collector's Edition Here!

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 27, 14 6:38 AM
I found this game rather unimpressive and rather boring. Even the graphics seem incomplete and stilted. There just seems to be something lacking in this game.

I did enjoy the FROGs and the interactive silhouettes. The puzzles seemed on the easy side but then again I played the game in the Casual mode.

I'm not sure what all the scattered diary pages were for unless it's just to obtain an achievement for finding them. There appeared only 11 "real" achievements to me. The rest are part of the story and would be found anyways. Not an achievement in my book.

The map was easy to use and very useful. The Extras included HOP and minipuzzles, 5 or 6 wallpapers,music, list of achievements-nothing to get excited about. I don't know why replaying the HOP and minipuzzles are considered "extras". If I played it the first time why would I want to play them again? If I skipped it the first time I doubt I would want to go back and try it again. But then again that's just me.

I seriously doubt I will get this game as a CE, even with a good sale. I will wait for the SE to come out.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Sep 27, 14 7:27 AM
Hi there Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:13:30 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 27, 14 7:49 AM
IN A RECIPE FOR DISASTER, RUFFLED FEATHERS ABOUND IN THIS SWAN SONG - BASED ON THE ACTUAL DEMO OF THE GAME WHICH LASTED ABOUT 30 MINUTES

THE GAME IS A-"TWITTER" WITH TWEETS FROM THE LITTLE TWITTER BIRD HELPER WHICH I WILL NOT BE "FOLLOWING"

On the wings of a Thursday's game, comes an "airy fairy" tale from another of my favorite devs, World of Art. However - this review will be a "bird" of different color.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT

Feathers are flying in this game by the World of Art. After dark magic overtakes the Swan Kingdom, survivors make a pilgrimage to the Eagle Kingdom. The dowager queen outlaws all dark magic. You play a healer summoned by the king to cure his beautiful mute wife. As you enter the room to help the queen, a green mist appears with a stranger who kidnaps the royal child. A medallion associated with dark magic is found on the queen and she imprisoned. Believing she is innocent, you are asked by the king, you must do some detective work to locate the perpetrator. Why is the queen mute? Why is there an estrangement between the king's mother and the queen? Is the dowager queen behind this? It seems that the King will need to get some balls and chains to handle his mother.

LEVELS: There are three levels with no ability to customize the game. Customization should be part of a CE game.

GRAPHICS: Green has become the new "pink and purple" for this game. I guess the devs realized we no longer want those colors - so they just traded them for green - How ingenious! Returning is the smoke - this time it is bright peacock green color. Since I hate the color green - this game was even more egregious to me. The graphics are not even close to the quality usually demonstrated for this dev. They are somewhat "grainy" on my computer.

HOP SCENES/INVENTORY/PUZZLES: The HOP scenes are a mixture of FROGS and interactive searches for inventory items. The inventory items are interactive. The puzzles are not too difficult and there are interactive stories.

PACE: This feathery fairy tale begins to flutter and sputter as it progresses.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC" - Another attempt at a ballet which has been hackneyed to death by the media and now seemingly coming to games. The music from this ballet permeates throughout the game and becomes irritating.

Edited on 09/27/2014 at 7:58:31 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Legends: Song Of The Dark Swan Collector's Edition He

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 27, 14 7:51 AM
CONTINUED

MAP: The map will transport you to the various locations but does not indicate actions which need to occur at those locations. This should be standard in all CE games
EXTRA GOODIES: You collect magical symbols. You also collect recipes for potions and kingly decrees. I believe you will be sewing - gee - how completely "feminine" and "womanly." You also get an animal helper (a bluebird) who flutters around to collect objects above you. Well, at least you don't have to feed him, dress him, or name him. He flies away at the end of the demo.

THESE ARE MY IMPRESSIONS: To avoid another "cackling hen" fight in the chicken coop (AKA the Forum), I ACTUALLY PLAYED THE COMPLETE SHORT DEMO WHICH IS THE SAME AS THE BETA.

This game is a far cry from my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME - "NIghtmares From the Deep - The Siren's Call" produced by this same dev in July 2013. This is just another example of the degeneration of quality on this site.

To me, this is a watered down game which is childish, boring and does not come close to the quality of your previous games, dev. I am extremely disappointed. So many elements which we have come to EXPECT (I know - I am part of the entitlement generation) are missing. I am not purchasing this game EVER!

Let us now go to the Bluebird of Happiness: IF YOU LIKE THIS GAME - GO FOR IT AND ENJOY IT!

NOW TO PICK UP THE MASSIVE AMOUNT MOLTING FEATHERS IN THIS GAME AND GIVE IT A RATING:

I RATE THIS GAME 2 BLACK SWANS OUT OF 5 WHITE SWANS FOR A "CE." THIS GAME PROVIDES NO LIGHT FOR ME.

THIS GAME DOES NOT RATE A CE STATUS. THIS LITTLE BIRD IS "FLYING" AWAY IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

THANK YOU AND BIG KISSES AND HUGS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE GIVEN ME SUPPORT. MOST OF YOU AT BF ARE THE GREATEST!!! SUNNY WILL RETURN TO HER FUNNY SUNNY SELF SOON. I MUST PUT IN A RAINBOW - IT IS THE SYMBOLS FOR US AQUARIANS. LOL GO NOW AND HAVE A RAINBOW DAY

Edited on 09/27/2014 at 8:49:12 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 27, 14 7:52 AM
I played the beta so long ago that I was confused why this seemed so familiar and thought I might have already bought the game elsewhere.

I remember really enjoying the beta and after playing this final version for over an hour, I still like it. I like the graphics, they're beautifully drawn looking rather than computer generated and the colors are very pretty. The ambient sounds are perfect, the music is unobtrusive and the voice acting is good. I even like the story, which has become kind of rare for me, I find it intriguing. *Sort of spoilerish* The fact that they're killing some of the characters adds some poignancy and urgency to the plot.

The only thing that bothers me so far is the king's unfortunate resemblance to the big headed BK mascot.

So far there's been one "helper" but I'm not sure how anyone could object to a little bird. No dress up, no magical powers of speech... just a normal little bird.

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Sep 27, 14 12:12 PM
Beautiful game in every aspect. It would be a shame to overlook it.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 27, 14 12:47 PM
Based on the completed game but not the Bonus Game

I thoroughly enjoyed the game

Achievements - The usual fare including the 'find 3 hidden objects in a HOS in 3 seconds. My heart sank as I have never achieved this before, but today I did!!!!!!!
Collectables - 31 Healer Sigils in the scenes not the HOPS and very well blended into the backgound scenery, I found only 24.
Inventory - Lockable (I have been asked to include this as some fishies don't like it if it's not lockable). Neither do I to tell the truth.
HOS/FROGS - Both have an interactive element, they are clear with no junk piles and most, if not all, related to the game's period, i.e. no mobile phones or CDs to find. The strategy guide offers no help and there is no alternative i.e. Match 3 game available to complete them.
Mini Games/Puzzles - The usual type but a bit different, if that makes sense.
Helpers - There are 3 but there is no dressing up, feeding or buying things for them, they are more like an inventory item that you just use when you need to. The first 2 were virtually unobtrusive, however the third one annoyed me because of the shrill way it spoke and the 90mph speed it talked at, my tip to overcome this is to turn the volume down and concentrate on the black bar at the top of the screen to find out what the fairy is actually saying.
Bonus Game - There are 2 chapters. It is not at all related to the main game and features the fairy along with other characters, for example a Sheriff, who also talks in the same fashion. I have only played 10 minutes of the Bonus Game so I can't really comment on how good (or not) it is.

Daxadillion
A Grandma who never thought she'd ever be able to get the Achievement for picking up 3 objects in 3 seconds!

[Post New]by shelterhill on Sep 27, 14 2:22 PM
Daxadillion wrote:

Achievements - The usual fare including the 'find 3 hidden objects in a HOS in 3 seconds. My heart sank as I have never achieved this before, but today I did!!!!!!!

Daxadillion
A Grandma who never thought she'd ever be able to get the Achievement for picking up 3 objects in 3 seconds!

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 10:44:17 AM PST

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Sep 27, 14 4:09 PM
I have read some reviews here based only on the demo. I played the whole game just now and wish it continued on and on. The most fun I have had in a while, with the swan queen as a nice new theme that I have not seen here in a while. Not exactly as I recall it from my old fairy tale collection, but not complaining as it fleshed some of that yarn out nicely.

The music was very soft and the only thing I MIGHT object to is the boy's sound like they are from some other country than I am familiar with, so a word or two was coming off a bit garbled to my old ears. Games were fairly easy for me now, familiar and a few not so much but easy to figure out.

I like games these days that I don't have to work hard for, and this one was a delight for me.

I love swans, so this was a buy on that alone, and it was an Artifex Mundi game so that aced it for me.

Have fun with this one. If you like swans and fairy tales with little work involved, this is your oyster. Lots of lovely pearls inside.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 27, 14 6:26 PM
The graphics are sharp. The art looks like fairy tale book illustrations done in watercolors. The voice overs ranged in quality from decent to annoyingly wooden. Unfortunately, the main character that we play is in the latter group so you're stuck with her for the whole game. The music is very nicely done and complements the story line well.

The story is very typical HOPA fare. Your character is a healer summoned to cure a person of royalty. Of course, soon after you arrive, mayhem ensues and your mission expands to encompass saving the kingdom. Most of the story is delivered in cut scenes. Some information also comes from puzzles that give you snippets of history as a reward for putting things in the right place on a wooden "stage".

The adventure component is predictable and involves all the tasks familiar from other HOPAs. You get a little bird helper but using it is annoying because it chirps and flutters to tell you when to do so. The targets you send it to frequently are covered by the black bar so you have to wait for that to go away before deploying it. This got somewhat irritating.

HOS are interactive, too easy, and insufficient in number. The puzzles are nicely made but very simple. The collectible sigils are very easy to find.

The user interface at times required multiple clicks to make something happen but, usually, worked well. I didn't use the hint button or the map so I can't comment on those. The inventory bar locks. There are three levels of difficulty with no custom option. The achievements are split between the ones you get for just playing the game and ones you get for actually...hmm...achieving something.

I found this a very average game typical of the usual we've been seeing a lot of lately. It has an unoriginal story line and lacks any kind of gaming challenge. Usually games of this type at least treat us to excellent graphics. The graphics here, while not poor, are not good enough to make up for the deficit in every other component of the game. If I could I'd give it 2.8 stars but I'll settle for a generous 3.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 27, 14 9:59 PM
Daxadillion wrote:

Daxadillion

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 10:44:42 AM PST

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Sep 28, 14 4:31 AM
I like this series and this game was decent but it does take a lot of license with this particular fairy tale (doesn't really bother me) and I think it may have been a bit short. Of course, if I'd slowed down to get EVERY sigil and every morph, maybe it would have been longer. I prefer to go back for those after the game, but there's no option for that (or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it).

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 28, 14 6:17 AM
I think if I didn't have a whole bunch of unplayed games staring balefully at me from my GM, I might have bought this, but in the end I just deleted it. May check it out as an SE. As I think most of us did, I figured out the Queen's secret almost immediately (think a variation of Grimm and swans), but this is it's own story. It's not bad at all, the HOPs were fine, some of the mini-games were quite easy, but I'm not good with the standard rotate this into that place -- it's exactly where my dyslexia hits -- no retention for the pattern, sadly, and there were a lot of these kinds of mini-games, so I skipped several, noting after the last one, did I really want a game where this kept happening? It's a nice story, and I noticed 2 bonus stories, although as most of these have nothing to do with the main story (and someone has already mentioned that's true of the bonus here as well), I've found I'm running out of patience with a lot of the bonus rounds in the games I've bought. I played on middle range of difficulty and the hint button re-filled pretty quickly considering. The skip also filled fairly fast. The collectibles are in the form of an adapted cadeucus, and mostly not that hard to find, but nicely placed usually, so that it takes some looking. I didn't mind the cartoonish graphics, and we also had the not particularly nice Queen mother, so there was an interesting personality thing going between the characters, but ultimately, this game was not for me, at least not as a CE.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Sep 28, 14 9:24 AM
For me this is a very nice game. I bought the CE because I like the story, a very good narrated fairy tale.

The bonus game is a different story, so if you are not keen on the other extras, the game has an ending with the main game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 28, 14 6:51 PM

King to Queen: "Talk to Me"

I am writing this review from memory (played the demo yesterday) so if I get something wrong please excuse. I'll not write about anything I'm not sure about.

Setting: You play a Healer who has been summoned by a king to the Kingdom of Eagles to help his queen who has never spoken (I am so tempted to write a comment here about a husband wanting his wife to speak more, but that's all I'll say before people start throwing things). The king's mother is another party who has an interest and tries to influence her son. All dark magic was banned in the past by the kings mother because magic caused the downfall of a neighboring kingdom, the Kingdom of Swans. The queen came from this kingdom.

The artwork is very stunning, colorful and in the expected style for this type game, kind of a fantasy, dreamy and idealized look. It is definitely a place you would like to spend some time just wandering around. The voices were well acted and convincing, but the voice chosen for the king's mother did not fit her appearance in my opinion. Sounds and music were high quality and complemented the game.

HOPs and mini games were well drawn and executed. Nothing was too hard once I realized what to do. I was playing on the middle difficulty level and sometimes I was not sure what action to take. I had to click around a lot but there are instructions for most tasks, I just had to find them. There is a jump map as well. Since you are a Healer, you can expect to make remedies and other concoctions.

In this CE, there are 31 collectible "sigils" which is a snake-like symbol. Some of these were cleverly hidden, but they're in plain sight. The menu shows a total of 17 HOGs and 23 mini-games. Bonus play and strategy guide are included as expected.

Other than the artwork, I was not WOW-ed by this. But then these "kingdom" games are not usually a favorite of mine. This one is easy to look at, has an ok if slightly predictable story, and will no doubt provide a light escape for a few hours.

Three dark swans out of five.

Edited on 09/28/2014 at 6:57:25 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Exceptionally immaginative game.

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 28, 14 7:53 PM
The fancifulness of the game was not enough to keep me from being bored. When I find myself skipping and choosing to click the old hint button time to give it up.

I think this game will fit some folks fancy and like me others who are ready for more 'grown up' HOGS as of late we just keep waiting for a blockbuster.

My hat is off to the development team, you as they say "did a good job".

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 30, 14 4:02 AM
sollys wrote:Beautiful game in every aspect. It would be a shame to overlook it.
I agree with you, worth as CE, beautifully done!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 30, 14 3:11 PM
Hi all. Gone all weekend so didn't get to this one until today. I have the first in this series and really liked it. This one didn't seem quite as good and definitely not better. Graphics were nice, but more one dimentional and cartoon like in a lot of scenes. This is a fairytale, so it might work. Color was excellent, very clear and bright. Game play was good. Music was okay, nothing exciting. Voice overs were well done.

HOPS were the usual "put the parts together to make something useful," which I do like. However, they were few and far between. Items were well blended and not all that easy to see within like colors. Puzzles were not all that difficult, just some took a bit longer to do than others. Standard SG. Hint system was helpful and filled at a nice rate. Between the jump map and the hint system, you really don't need the SG.

The only collectibles I found were the "healer's sign," which is not that difficult to see. You just have to know what you are looking for. These can be found anywhere in the scene and some blend quite well. No eye strain for these items.

I do not feel that this game is CE worthy. It is quite simple and seemed to be geared more toward the beginner. I do recommend for beginners, but not as a CE. I have been known to change my mind when the SE comes out, but only for the SE version. There was no real challenge or excitement and nothing that grabbed me and made me want to buy the game and add it to my ever growing collection. No buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: