Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

What About Same Game, All Puzzles No Hogs?

[Post New]by Yaelle on Sep 30, 14 11:54 AM
I think that outside of just a few sites around the web, all of these games with the hidden objects are basically unheard of by the majority of the gaming community - at least for those under 50 years old.

I don't know what began the trend of making the games & having all of the hidden object games inserted as filler but I would absolutely LOOOOOOVE to play these Grim Legends games & others with similar quality & stories but sans the hogging. IMO it puts a sort of generic quality to a game & when I see them (I know people here on Big Fish will disagree vehemently, but trust me when I tell you this looking for hidden items on a page is not the most popular thing in gaming) I always feel a tinge of regret.

I've played over a dozen games like this that I would say are pretty good, but if the focus were on puzzles & storyline & every thing else, I think the larger gaming community would eat them up rather than look at them as games for Grandma.

Know of any such games?

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

Re:What About Same Game, All Puzzles No Hogs?

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Sep 30, 14 9:44 PM
I love HOGS with variety. I look at it this way- if a person likes puzzles there are so many puzzle games out there. But HOGS are rare. I like a game that has both but I love HOGS, always will.
I have played multi-player games with puzzles everywhere and I enjoy some of them. That's where I go for puzzles. Those are hard and most don't have skips either.
These are casual games, made for people like me that don't want to play for days or weeks agonizing over a puzzle because I can't skip it.

For the first time ever, I didn't buy the Mystery Trackers Blackrow CE because there were more puzzles than HOGS. If this continues they will loose me. And I am tired of finding the same horseshoes, handcuffs, scissors, etc. I wish they would make up a new list of things to find. I almost don't have to look at the list anymore because I know it so well.

So, I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. But puzzles are in almost every game ever made. HOGS are my cup of tea. I love them and they are great if done well with some thought.

This is just my opinion, so if you don't agree that's your opinion, but it's my money and I love HOGs!

Thank you for reading.

PS.
I think the larger gaming community already have many puzzle games that take weeks to figure out. If you like puzzles that are shorter I would recommend the Nancy Drew games. I have played a few and I think they are all good. Good luck.

Edited on 09/30/2014 at 9:47:13 PM PST

sportygal2009
Salmon
Salmon
2,503 Posts

[Post New]by sportygal2009 on Oct 1, 14 2:50 AM
I don't post much here anymore. Just mainly a reader now but I had to comment on this discussion as I found it funny that hidden object games being for "grandma."

Lets forget grandma. I'm not even a mom. I'm also one that would fall in the under the age of 50. I'm 42. I've been playing these casual HOG games for almost 10 years as I started out on another site before Big Fish.

Now to answer your question: "What began this trend" with Hidden Objects, according to this article here it looks like it started back in 2005 here at the Big Fish: This "trend" has been here for quite awhile now.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/history-of-hidden-object-games-interview-with-patrick-wylie/

Oh but I'm gonna have a seat on the "grandma" bench. I love hidden object games. I'm not a fan of the puzzles. Truth be told I wish Big Fish would release some games that didn't have even ONE puzzle in them and not because I find them too hard (some I have) but I'm just not a puzzle person.

As much as I love HOGS I would also like to see more releases of adventure games but without that nauseating 360 movement.

I do hope you get your puzzle fix however I sure hope Big Fish doesn't do away with HOGS and load games up with puzzles . I'd be cancelling my account for good.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Oct 1, 14 8:26 AM
I too like HOGs with variety. It seems like in the last year or so, HOGs have taken on a different appearance; FROGs, matching etc. I really like the HOGs. Just so they are not too numerous in the game. In the "old days" when games were $19.95, games were mainly HOGs. We have a great variety now and this is great. If you don't like them, there is always something else to try!

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Oct 1, 14 10:53 AM
I am very much a member of the nauseated and dizzy adventure club! I started out with HOGS, and love them. My very first was Dream Day, and I own all of them, and play them with my teenage daughter. I would be sad to see HOGS go away for good. There are a few adventure games out there with only puzzles and no HOGS. I can't think of the titles off the top of my head. A lot of developers now offer alternatives to HOGS, such as match 3, mah jong, marble poppers, and jigsaw puzzles. At least one allowed you to skip the HOG altogether. The great thing about Big Fish is that there are games out there for everyone. Not every game will appeal to every person. Obviously, HOGS must sell, or the developers would not be making them.

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Oct 5, 14 10:23 AM
I'm 75 and a Grandma. Remember-someday you'll be there too. We all get older and smarter in old age. Stop treating us as imbeciles.

pilgrims
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by pilgrims on Oct 6, 14 11:13 PM
pjfrompa wrote:I'm 75 and a Grandma. Remember-someday you'll be there too. We all get older and smarter in old age. Stop treating us as imbeciles.

Just want to say Amen! Where did the days go when differences were celebrated. I cringe every time I see another game come out where the puzzles are two to one to HOGS. Just can't wrap my "older" brain around so many at one time. Thanks PJ

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Oct 11, 14 5:33 AM
Thanks.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 12, 14 8:48 AM
Yaelle, I hear you. I used to love HOGs back in the day where games were strictly hidden object scenes, then they started adding adventure elements and that made it better. Now I hate hidden object scenes, they are my least favourite part of a game. I will always play the alternative for those rare games that offer them.

Puzzle-heavy adventure games are what I prefer. Sadly, those are getting very similar, always the same puzzless and always the same inventory items needed. Oh, a cat is blocking a key I need. I'm sure there's a mouse or bowl of milk somewhere for me to find. Bellows have been added to my inventory. Well this'll be of use for the next room with a fireplace.

I'm trying to think of some adventure only games. I think the Haunted Hotel series had no HOs, I think the Awakening series didn't have any. If it's not the Awakening series, it's a series from the same developers.

Go to: