catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Queen of Flames here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 2, 14 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 6:14:04 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Queen of Flames here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Oct 2, 14 6:13 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Realm: Queen of Flames Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Realm: Queen of Flames Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:13:18 AM PST

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Queen of Flames here!

[Post New]by highlander1942 on Oct 2, 14 7:27 AM
WOW! I don't care what this one costs, it's mine.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 2, 14 8:27 AM
Based on the Demo plus another hour of game play.

Well I am going to say nothing of the storyline because I wouldn't want to spoil it for you as I am loving it and want to get back to playing.

Within the extras we have the usual Achievements, Wall Papers, Making Of and Sound Tracks.

There are 8 Chapters and a Bonus Game.

No Helpers, cute or otherwise.

Music - Very good and for someone who usually takes no notice of the music I could not play this game without it.
Collectables - 57 Fire Signs - some of which are very cleverly hidden.
HOS - Interactive, and don't forget to look for the morphing objects, also well blended in.
Mini Games/Puzzles - They are all do-able and don't take too long.
Inventory - Lockable
Map - It's a jump map. To the left is a panel where you can read the storyline and see how many achievements you have collected so far in the game.

Other Goodies - only to be accessed after the main and/or bonus game
Game of Cards x 2
Cards Gallery
Replayable HOS
Northpearl Jigsaw
Collectables Hunt

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 2, 14 8:47 AM
"IMAGINE DRAGONS" INVADING YOUR TOWN WITH ALL THAT ANNOYING SMOKE AND "FALL OUT. - BOY!" IS THIS TOWN NOW "RADIOACTIVE?" (COUGH) FROM DRAGON AND BANSHEE BREATH?

BOOGIE ONDOWN IN AN ACTION-PACKED DRAGONFEST WITH MUSIC TO IGNITE YOUR HEART ON FIRE -AN EARTHSHAKING MASTERFULLY PRODUCED GAME!

Entering in blazing glory is a hot offering from the Mad Hatters. This "hottie" abounds with excitement, adventure, and the flames of war all set to heart pumping theme music. This game has all the elements of an action/adventure game enwrapped within a HOP game. There are phenomenal graphics and 3-dimensional sound quality. The pyrotechnics are awesome. This is a pyromaniac's bonfire delight complete with some extra goodie marshmallows to roast.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT You play Valera, as a blacksmith's daughter, interested in mastering your father's trade. (Boy I can really relate to that one) Your quest is to rescue your father and save your town from the fiery banshees and dragons. These monsters are related to a fairy tale about two girls and their evil nanny. Having never seen a dragon, you travel throughout the kingdom coming face-to-face with a terrifying one. This dragon destroys your inventory and magic relics leaving you helpless. Holy Dragonmaster! What happens next?

LEVELS: There are three levels plus the ability to customize your game.

GRAPHICS: Just amazing! Lifelike animation with realistic characters which are beautifully illustrated There is the use of newer game technology in creating the music and graphics.

SOUND OF/AND MUSIC - Keep the music playing as it booms throughout the game and fires you up to wage battle.

PACE: A very action packed and fast moving game.

HOP SCENES/INVENTORY/PUZZLES -
• HOP scenes ARE VERY INNOVATIVE! Many items are found as part of a narration of a story. During a dream sequence, your mother sings a song which produces the inventory items So awesome, devs!
• The inventory is interactive.
• The puzzles - My only complaint in the game. They are boringly easy. Devs - please try to modify these so that there are at least a few difficult ones as well.

MAP: The map is given to you at the beginning of the game and indicates active areas.

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 8:51:51 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 2, 14 8:50 AM
CONTINUED

EXTRA GOODIES -
• Magic boots - make you invisible.
• Fire medallion - provides you abilities such as the ability to change stone to humans.
• Timer - You are clocked on the amount of time you have played the game.
• Achievements - There are various achievements you can win throughout the game.
• Collectibles and Morphing objects - None. At least I didn't find any

I AM FIRED UP TO CONTINUE THE BATTLE IN THE DRAGON QUEST. "NO EVIL OLD FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS ARE GONNA GET ME DOWN."

I RATE THIS GAME 6 FIERY FLAMES OUT OF 5 FIERY FLAMES FOR A CE. THE EXTRA FLAME IS FOR MY BURNING DESIRE TO PLAY THIS GAME. (Must wait tomorrow - Hi Ho - Off to work I go)

MusicNat
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by MusicNat on Oct 2, 14 9:25 AM
This game is absolutely astounding!!! That's all I'm going to say!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 2, 14 9:43 AM
SPECTACULAR *****

BASED ON DEMO

EXTRAS IN BRIEF
I was shocked to see there were no reviews in here when I checked out the game just to give a couple of words on it. Since then, sunnyglow and Daxadillion have done a fine job of filling in the blanks I was going to, so I'll just add a couple of points.

There are some flame symbols that are collected and lead to a gate to "somewhere", not sure where exactly. They take a little to get your eyes attuned, but then they are not too difficult - yet.

There are replayable HOPs with timing accuracy and hint counters. There is also a puzzle section you must unlock.

There is a card game in the main game that you must play to unlock its "out of game" use. It has its own gallery.

Wallpapers (12), Sound (the best I've ever heard, I think, and I'm a HUGE fan of Cadenza, also made by these developers, and the best music up till this one!

And a "making of" video you must unlock.

The graphics are stupendous, awesome, magical! The use of 3D style panning adds surprisingly real experience. My heart rate actually surged, and stayed right that way to the end, where I think I blew a fuse!

This is very dark fantasy, so while full of magic and enchantments, the wolf cubs you rescue are given immediately back to Mama. LOTS of gadgets of a mystical nature means lots of keeping your eyes open, the HOPs are so original, sometimes I didn't even know I was in one!

And that mean dragon? Man, would he give the entire species a bad name.

This game has it and is put together in as awesome as you can expect to get in a game.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 9:45:19 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 2, 14 11:21 AM

Queen of Flames is Smokin' Hot!

Medieval times. Castles, dragons, kingdoms, curses, medallions and..um...banshees. I think that covers it. Those elements alone will cause this to be a sure "fire" sale for many fishes - but there is more, much more.

Setting: You are Valera, the daughter of a blacksmith, and your mother is deceased. Your town of Northpearl is under attack from fiery banshees. (side note: these characters are the weakest part of the game as they are the typical hooded, red-eyed soulless villains we’ve seen in dozens of other games.) You must escape and reach the Ivory Tower and speak to the Queen - because surely she can do something. Your friend Nathaniel will help you.

The artwork is very well done, both in the standard as well as the cut scenes. The palette is heavy on the browns, golds and reds but is varied enough to keep your interest. For a fantasy game, the style has more realistic elements than most other games in this genre, but it still sticks to its fantasy roots.

I liked the fact that the game play is quite varied. The puzzles are all quite different variations. I don’t think any of them have truly unique elements, but most represent a unique, or at least unusual, combination of elements. Hidden objects are primarily the standard list types with interaction for a few items. Most of the puzzles and HOS are easy to complete.

There are four levels of difficulty, including a custom level. I don’t usually mention tutorials as I always decline them. However, this game presents a third option: a tutorial only for special features of this game. Great idea. The special features include magic boots and a medallion with special powers.

This CE has 57 collectible flames, morphing objects (hard to find), 15 achievements, bonus level, strategy guide (did not use, but chs. 1 & 2 are in demo), 20 cards and 2 card games and other things that I refer to as pseudo extras which, if you have read any of my other reviews (thank you so much, by the way!) you know I do not care about. You also have a journal and a map.

These type stories are not my favorite, but I would consider purchasing this one because of the high quality of artwork and varied game play.

Five fiery banshees for Queen of Flames.

Edited on 10/02/2014 at 4:30:19 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 2, 14 11:49 AM
This game really keeps you busy...so don't look away or you'll miss something! I really like the colors and game play. This is going to be a very popular game with most. It has all the bells and whistles. I recommend this game. But, I'll wait to check out the SE version...till I make my decision on purchasing CE or SE.

Thank you for all the great detailed reviews! Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

“These are my terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games.

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

Kathyj77
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyj77 on Oct 2, 14 1:29 PM
Short and to the point. Great, enjoyable game and I will buy.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Oct 2, 14 3:03 PM
Hey all my sweet and dear everybodys!

Major stuff going on at home right now. No time to do my detailed review AND edit it for this page.

MODS DON'T LIKE TOO MUCH INFO given on demo reviews. People have been complaining that there 's too much given about the game so I edit mine a LOT from my game page post. Just no time to do that today.

I did the beta on this game and loved it. Did my review on the demo and loved it a little less but still loved it. Some changes were made and not for better but I digress.

EXCELLENT GAME! Excellent music, voiceovers, graphics. Excellent storyline. Excellent HOGs - varied. Excellent mini games - very much tied in to game. I like that a lot.

5 for me and that's rare. Yes, I am purchasing it either this weekend on a possible sale or Monday at Bonus Punch Monday. Do have some lagging issues. And issues when I click on "Extras". Still purchasing it.

Hugs to all. Catch the "real" review you know where

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 2, 14 3:30 PM
Hi all. Well, another addition to the DR series...yes, I have the other one as well. There is a lot of blue and pinks in this game, but it really does fit the game and is not all that overpowering. Not a big fan of the scrolling screen, but okay. The graphics are well done, clean and colorful. Animation is very nice. Game play was excellent, no problems at all. Voice overs are very well done and appropriate for age and character and doesn't sound like someone is just reading a script.

The jump map left a bit to be desired, too plain or something. SG was the standard. HOPs were integrated and a bit different. Items were not difficult to find, but you did have to look for them. Not a lot of junk to dig through either. Puzzles were not difficult, but did take some time and thought and were a little different and fun. Hint system is helpful, but takes some time to fill. I found that the game flowed so well that I really didn't need to use it much at all.

The only collectibles I found were the 57 flames (outlines), which were not all that easy to see. They blend in quite well to their surroundings. A bit of a challenge here. Other reviewers have stated that there are morphing objects as well, but I didn't see any. Of course, I often get so engrossed in a game that I forget to look. The only minus I see to this game, which is not a deal breaker, is that everything is way too close together, e.g. hint, journal, SG, map, etc.

This game actually drew me in from the beginning. Why, because of the spider that ran up and down the wall in the attic. Silly, yes, but it was so realistic and the game just took off from there. I especially liked the integration of the dragon at the end of the demo...so very well done. Do I recommend this game to all level of players...absolutely. Am I going to buy it...darn tootin'.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 2, 14 5:35 PM
Based on the developer, I knew when I beta-tested it, even before I started, that I'd be buying this game right away, They have yet to disappoint me, they usually fully blow me away, and the games get better with every new release. When I got to the end of the beta test, to the final "cliffhanger" scene, where (possible spoiler: highlight to read) the dragon attacks Valera and even the inventory gets shattered, I knew I'd have to stay up until 2 a.m. to buy it and probably stay up all night to finish it (spoiler: I did, and of course, with a Monday deadline, I had no business doing so, but I regret nothing). The attention to details in this game is insane. I mean, how often do you have a game where even the infrastructure gets affected by something in the game? Then, of course, the fact that we have a strong female protagonist, a little magic, some dark themes, and some outstanding artwork and animation, this game is a gem. It's right up there with the two Nevertales, Cadenza, and the second and third Rite of Passage games. No other developer puts as many goodies in their CEs as does this one, and this is no exception. I spent a good two hours playing the extra card game this afternoon instead of being a good girl and being productive.

Of course, everyone's tastes are different, and someone, somewhere, will hate it. It's inevitable. But 99% of the rest of you will probably at the bare minimum think it's a four star or higher game.

Seriously, though... even the inventory! That's some intense attention to every aspect of the gaming experience. So cool.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 2, 14 8:28 PM
WooHoo .... another Mad Head Game.
OK, we have played similar games but these developers somehow always manage to come up with something innovative to make their games seem fresh and new.
We even have an animal assistant that isn't offensive and doesn't need to be clothed, housed or fed (other devs should note how this is used here). ((Of course Elf is a different matter all together being a dog with his own Mystery Trackers outfit. )
And we have our own personal hero who is constantly saving our behind. Make that two heroes.
Not to mention Dragons,
What more could we need for fun.

Cheers

PS ... I found morphing objects in the HOS
There is an indicator to the right of the hint button that lets you know if a morphing object is present in the scene. But those of you who completed the Tutorial probably already knew that.

Edited again to add: (In pale text as it contains spoilers.)
Well I do have two complaints about the game.
1) I personally didn't enjoy shooting arrows into Ms Nasty and her minions, I never like personally taking control of weapons in games and the numerous occasions in which I was required to do so I found increasingly distasteful and bothersome.
2) I thought the final scene to defeat the witch was way too long.

Edited on 10/03/2014 at 1:43:26 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 3, 14 1:46 AM
it is right!morphing objects are in hidden objects scenes also!

grama4jr
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

WOW Love this game.

[Post New]by grama4jr on Oct 3, 14 4:22 AM
Played the demo and sale or no sale, going to buy!! Graphics are great, good story, very different HO games and puzzles were easy but challenging. Its a definite buy for me...thanks BFG.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Creative! Briliantly Programmed!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 4, 14 6:47 PM
While I am up to my ears with the fantasy genres of this type being of won't for a hidden object game I plunged in to giving this game a go. I am glad I did.

The game presented stunning scenes and bags of clever tasks. I experienced not one programming related issue.

I recommend this game.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 5, 14 10:49 AM
Magical and totally unputdownable. That's what I thought of this game.

I have not enjoyed a HOPA so much since The Living Mountain. It grabbed me from the start and would not let go until I'd exhausted every single aspect and it will be one I'll keep and play again very soon. Other reviewers have already said everything so well, so I'll just keep it to bullet points of what I loved.

* Mad Head Games always gives us so much more in a CE, over and above the call, and now they've outdone themselves; way more to do even after you've done the bonus;

*Stunning animation, beautifully drawn 3D scenes with soaring buildings;

* A haunting, dramatic music score that fits the game perfectly;

* The usual wonderful lip sync voiceovers that follow English perfectly;

* Diverse and unique puzzles and HOPS, and collectibles sometimes very challenging to spot and morphs in HOPS;

* In this one, a very clever little strategic card game you can play for extra collectibles once you are done with the bonus.

I won't give away any more.

I love it so much it's a contender for Game of the Year for me (just my opinion).

If you liked Living Mountain, I think you'll also like this one.

kidxsol
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by kidxsol on Oct 6, 14 4:01 PM
This game is absolutely astounding!!! That's all I'm going to say!

Go to: