Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 9, 14 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

BTW Catbag is taking a few days holiday.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 6:27:36 AM PST

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by debraljensen on Oct 9, 14 1:02 AM
The graphics and art might be one of the best so far.
At least it has the colors and muted design that pleases me most in a game.
I also bought it after 20 minutes because I enjoyed playing it

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 9, 14 2:12 AM
Looks like a really terrific game with some beautiful artwork.

But it ran slow and jerkily on my PC, so much so that I had to stop playing.

I took off the custom cursor but it made no difference.

Shame as it would probably have been a buy but it's unplayable for me.

Disappointed

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Oct 9, 14 6:28 AM
'Morning Fishies!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:11:53 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 9, 14 6:53 AM
I'm playing on the easiest setting and I will probably change that to get rid of some of the sparkles/glints.

I like:

1. The graphics are beautiful.
2. Options can be customized and the hint recharge time set to one second. I didn't see anything about a skip button in the options but I was able to skip a puzzle in one second, too.
3. There are collectibles: owls, fresco parts, and game characters. There might be more.
4. There are achievements. One of them is answering questions about the game.
5. The SG is pretty good although I wish the pictures were bigger. Some of us have tired eyes.
6. HOPS are very good - the best feature of the game IMO - with a lot of interaction.
7. There is a jump map.

Don't like:

1. It's jerky in places.
2. For a time the inventory swayed back and forth when the cursor was moved over it. I've never seen that before. I'm really sensitive to things like that and so I felt a bit queasy at first.
3. There is a lag problem.
4. The cursor is wonky, becoming a hand when it shouldn't. I couldn't click on the inventory arrow because of that - very frustrating.
5. I clicked on the pointer in the Ouija board puzzle and then couldn't get rid of it to read the puzzle instructions.
6. There's a cutesy helper. I'm having a hard time with this one because you give him accessories. It's like playing with dolls.
Also, there is more than one helper and this is the second game in a couple of days that has that theme.
7. The storyline is the same old thing - so far.
8. Cutscenes cannot be clicked forward. You either watch or skip. I don't know why developers usually don't allow players to click forward.
9. Sometimes inappropriate messages pop up. For example, during a cutscene, a message telling me I can't do anything there showed up. Once when I successfully performed a task, a message told me that I couldn't use the inventory item I had just used.

I don't think this game should have been released until it had been cleaned up a bit. The jerkiness, the inappropriate messages, the lagging, the cursor problems could all have been fixed.

So I'm on the fence with this one. I can't recommend it despite the glowing reviews posted on the game page. I might purchase it with a sale or as an SE.

Happy gaming!!

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 7:16:07 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 9, 14 6:53 AM
I really liked the game play and most of the unique features of the game. I wasn't too thrilled about the one puzzle with the pointer. I dislike any game where there is a timer in it and this one had it. It was a type of hangman game but if you didn't guess quick enough, a penalty was given anyways.

I did like the size of the cursor and at first I was surprised that it didn't change into a hand, gear, etc. when hovered over "hot spots". I went back to the difficulty mode and found out that contextual icons was unchecked. Once I checked it, I was back in business. I was surprised because usually it is already selected-guess there is a first time for everything-lol.

The graphics were crisp and nice looking and the items in the HOGs were a good size. No eyestrain there.

The extras included the usual and at least there was a decent amount of wallpapers (13). I don't understand why some games (or developers) only have 5 or 6. Surely it can't take up that much space or be that hard to offer more than that.

Besides the owls to collect, there are also some figurines to find. I forget how many but with the ones I found they were in closeups and if you found everything else, the closeup still remained active until you found the figurine.

I do believe I will get the CE as it does have two bonus games and I really enjoyed playing it. I will wait though for a good sale before I purchase it.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 9, 14 8:14 AM
I have an older puter set up until mine is finished being repaired, I have no problem playing this game. Puter has windows vista. Very good game with 2 bonus's my brain is saying buy but my pocketbook is saying no, so I'm on the fence on this one..........
BUY OR NO BUY OH MY
I'll wait until someone lets me know if this is worth a CE price............Just cause 2 bonus's doesn't mean it's a long game...................OH SIGH.................

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 9, 14 8:53 AM
SCARECROWS ARE SCARING AWAY ALL THE THRILL FROM THIS "CORNY" GAME

After a feasting on massive amounts of "scary" this week with "Freak Show" and two popcorn chomping movie treats, and looking forward to the release of "Dracula" (awesome film - go see it!) I am so pumped up for Halloween My broom is tuned up and raring to fly. However, this game is taking me into a nosedive to the game patch of boredom in the latest offering from Glorious Mary, our Mother of Candied "Corn. " We have another sugar fest with Mother's "little helper," a scarecrow, along for the ride.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT It is the time of the Red Moon, an event happening every 300 years. During this time evil abounds. Children are being kidnapped in the Irish village of Blake's Mountain. You are a detective asked to investigate children missing from the town. With the help of a gypsy you may be able to find the guilty perpetrator of these kidnappings. Can this detective "heal" old wounds?

LEVELS: There are 3 levels plus the ability to customize the game.

GRAPHICS: They were blurry on my computer. They are somewhat cartoonish and the colors are vivid.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC:" The "muzac" and voiceovers are decent.

HOP SCENES: They are varied - some are junk piles - some are interactive in finding an object to use elsewhere in the scene - some are part of a fairy tale book.

INVENTORY: Trick or treat on you! The devs tried to make it interactive and puzzle-like; however, most times you just click four or five jigsaw pieces together to create an item. You do not even have to place them in the right location. So absurd!

PUZZLES: The puzzles are varied and unique and they got better as I traversed through the game.

PACE: Another game which leads us down to a "corny" patch of boredom.

EXTRA GOODIES AND HELPER: This time we have a "cutesy" little scarecrow. I was really hoping the crow would take him away but - no luck. There are 20 achievements. There is an interactive MAP.

After a slow start, the game actually gets better, but , to me, it is not CE worthy. Yesterday's SE was better than this CE. I RATE THIS GAME 2 .5 CORNY SCARECROWS OUT OF 5 SCARECROWS. . . With all those scarecrows lurking I am not "gonna" dare to enter this game field.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 12:12:15 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 9, 14 2:50 PM
Hi all. Well, it took long enough for this game to come out. I beta tested months ago! In the beginning, there are some blues and pinks, but they soon disappear into very nice, clear and bright true colors, so keep playing. Graphics are very good and animation is excellent. Very nice sound FX. Voice overs were well done and appropriate for age and character, with some emotion added in for realism. Game play was good, but moving in and out of close ups was choppy and lagged a bit, so down graded for that. Music was nice enough for me not to notice it much, so was not annoying.

There is a jump map that you will use frequently, but I mostly used it to see where I needed to go next, rather than use the hint. Hint filled quickly for me because I set it to do that. Anything more than 20 seconds it way too long for me. I like the ability to customize the play...that is a major plus. Hint was quite helpful and does teleport to longer distances. You have a very helpful little scarecrow, that was actually quite cute and how he was use was fun. HOPs were mostly interactive using silhouettes or just straight HOP. Items were not difficult to see, fairly clean and clear. Puzzles were nothing new and not difficult so far.

The only collectibles I found are (25) owls. These come in many different sizes and shapes, e.g. outlines, carvings, real, etc., and are not as easy to see in some areas. Also found some figurines, but nothing pops up to tell me what or how many I'm looking for. They seem to be characters from the game so far and can be hiding most anywhere, including peeking around corners, so look carefully.

This game was quite easy to follow, so I didn't really do a lot of jumping around, nor did I need to use the WT. I really liked this game as a beta and still like it, even with the choppy movements now and then. There was just enough challenge to keep you interested and the story line has me wanting more. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players, especially because of the ability to customize the game play. Very well done and a definite buy for me. This game would have been a 5, had it not been for the less than smooth movements, and I don't give 5 stars easily. We need half marks because I give this one a solid 4.5.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 9, 14 5:57 PM
I think it's a lovely game and I enjoyed playing the demo quite a bit. The graphics are very clear, the artwork itself is beautiful, the animation is very good, it has excellent voice acting, there are fun hidden object scenes which are the type where you have to find something to use on something else which in turn gets used on something else (which I happen to enjoy) and I really like the companion. He's cute and helpful but he is not, however, "cutesy". There's no changing clothes, or special rooms to decorate and he doesn't speak with a Cockney accent, he's merely there to assist you in your journey. The collectables are fun to find as well.

I'm looking forward to the weekend when (I hope) there's another sale and another CE on offer to buy with this one.

I too would have given this glowing reviews if I had played the beta, it's a very good game.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Oct 10, 14 5:28 AM
Boy, after reading some of the other reviews, I wonder if I played the same game

This game was a delight .

You do have a little helper, but I thought he was adorable...(I do NOT like helpers, honestly)

The HO's were very well spaced and were varied to a good level of challenge. Granted they were easy enough, but not redundant or too easy.

The puzzles were also varied and they had some new ones that were quite interesting.

The main story was pretty good, nothing new in regards to what we have been offered of late, then the bonus chapter made it even better as it gave you more clarity on some of the characters in the main game. I thought this was a nice touch.

Then you have a bonus bonus game...pretty cool.

The visual was exceptional, the back ground music was subtle and enjoyable when you paid attention to it.

I think if this is going to be what we are going to be offered from now on, we are in for some pretty good Hidden Object Adventure games. Makes being a member BF even more rewarding, as to we are in for some of the best games offered.

The only thing that I didn't like was when you went to extra's it had puzzle pieces to find or earn? and something about fairies (which I still don't know about) When you have extra's through out the game, I wish it was explained prior to the game somewhere. Maybe in the intro?

Thanks Dev's and BF for this wonderful game!

[Post New]by Kikimorra on Oct 11, 14 12:29 PM
I liked the game even though it crashed about 5 times and I had to repeat a few steps before crashing. Still, very well-made. I didn't feel stupid, I wasn't bored, the HOPs were actually entertaining for once! They even made sense sometimes. I almost never felt like I don't follow the plot. You find the stuff in a logical manner.

SPOILER ALERT
I really liked the BIG scarecrow)))) In these games it's always mothers and children, or old/stupid/useless men who beg you to save their kids. This one was different, and that was fantastic, like when he got buried under the rubble to save his kid, even though he was mind-controlled by the witch. I was kinda hoping that there'd be more development of this character, him overcoming the mind-control and saving everyone or something like that. It was really disapponting, though, when he was turned to normal, to find out that he had a wife and an ugly moustache. Again, I was hoping he'd help the detective in the extras rather than just saying thanks. Anyway, I'd like to see more characters like the scarecrow))

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 11, 14 6:31 PM
Ugly mustaches are the WORST!

truman99
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by truman99 on Oct 11, 14 7:36 PM
Based on completed game and Bonus chapter:

This was a truly WONDERFUL game!! And quite long, which I love. I have played the previous "League of Light" game, and also "Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians" by this same developer. They all were amazing!! To add to what's already been mentioned in reviews....The print size of the words is large enough NOT to cause eyestrain. This is a huge deal for those of us with older eyes. Also, the game may start out a bit simply, but it DOES get more challenging as you get into the game. It certainly does pull you into the story, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND all three of these games!!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Fantastic!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 11, 14 10:48 PM
Development team pat yourselves on the back for a terrific game.

The games clever tasks to accomplish while not difficult they remained challenging enough. Add the remarkable cleverness held my attention. I was never bored and thus entertained.

I loved the little helper and his dad. Great work in the story.

Just so you are aware the game did at five abrupt ends. I suspect it was a memory management issue but no harm done. Depending on where one was in the game on starting the game again a task or two already accomplished had to be done again.

CE was well worth the purchase. Bonus game + extra bonus game.

Thanks for bringing us this game.

I highly recommend this game.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Oct 13, 14 10:26 PM
Playing on Mac w/Mavericks. DL fast and running perfectly. Now if I can only find the darn chisel. It's not where the guide says, for me anyway.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 15, 14 3:31 AM
MariaGlorum normally produce a good game but this has so many tech issues it made playing a chore. The whole thing ran very slowly & even turning off the custom cursor made no difference.

I was unable to complete the achievements as every time I chose all the flowers for the silver fairy the game crashed.

After I had tortuously made my crawl to the end of the game I found the bonus game very difficult; I had to restart several times to end & even then it crashed before the final credits.

At that point I had truly had enough so I tried to uninstall but the normal uninstall just hung so I had to go into the background & remove all the files manually.

I use Win 7 64 bit.

Alliq
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by Alliq on Oct 18, 14 6:30 PM
This game had so many tech issues. It crashed, lagged and froze. Even with all that, I was able to continue. It was still one of the best games I have played yet on this site. The graphics were great, puzzles were solvable, HOPs were fun, and I loved the characters. Especially the little scarecrow. With the CE, there was a bonus game AND an extra bonus game so that you could help everyone. It was a great story with a great ending. I hope to see more from this company!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 19, 14 7:41 PM
I replayed the entire game again today and I love it even more than the first time I played it. It does have an unfortunate tendency to freeze but considering I played for several hours straight, that might have been my laptop getting too hot.

Just a beautiful, well made game. I can't recommend this highly enough.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Oct 20, 14 11:18 AM
I definitely recommend the game. Great for Halloween, though I *REALLY* hope there are more before then. In many cases, the extra game isn't worth the trouble, but this one was a decent length and added to the story and fun. If you get this game, I'd recommend the CE.

More witches and jack-o-lanterns by Halloween please, BF!

Go to: