cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

Beta Testing

[Post New]by cherleadford on Oct 9, 14 6:34 AM
I was wondering how I can beta test games. I have done a couple and really liked it. the invite to test came in my email, but I have not received one for a long time.

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

Re:Beta Testing

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Oct 9, 14 8:38 AM
I think testers are picked at random. You could always drop CS a note to find out whether you are still on the list.
Hope this helps.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 9, 14 8:45 AM
Some developers have a link on their pages for beta test sign-ups. Go to the sites of the ones you like and see if they do it. The invites are still far and few between though.

Oh, for BFG, you have to be a Game Club member to receive beta opportunities. So, if you cancelled you won't get any from BFG. But remember, by the time BFG gets the betas/surveys the developers have probably already done some beta testing of their own. Game Club members are automatically added to the beta list. All you can do is be patient! Everyone and his brother is signed up! If you have already "done a couple," you are already ahead of the game!

If all you want to do is try the games early, then you can access survey games anytime you want. There are lots of fan sites and blogs where they regularly post the links.

Here is the BFG program... I guess it's okay to show a link to something that is BFG's own page!

Sneak Peek Beta Program

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 2:10:50 PM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Oct 9, 14 2:14 PM
Hey twinsoniclab

Thanks for posting that link to the help article for betas! I've gone ahead and made it clickable so everyone can easily reach that information.

The selection of who receives beta test emails is completely random, but as long as you are a Big Fish Game Club member, you'll be on the list of eligible players. With as many players as there are, sometimes it can take a little time before you receive your next opportunity

If there are any further questions, please feel free to PM one of the Mods. We're always happy to clarify things!

bfgVaiya

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Oct 9, 14 2:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been a BF member for 10 years. I will check my email more often, who knows one might come in. LOL

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 7:41 PM
If there's one I know is coming out eventually, I'll do a search for it online, which often leads to the beta one here, so I can give my input on it. I've got some beloved developers who are a bit prone to typos, misspellings, and translation errors, and I like to try to help catch those moments, and also to make sure there's less of a risk of a glitchy release. I don't abuse it by playing and not giving feedback--that's kind of an obnoxious thing to do, especially frequently. But as a writer and teacher of writing (critical analysis especially), I like to think I can give some valuable feedback. Others, of course, may disagree.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 10, 14 8:34 PM
I always do the survey if I get an invitation from BF to do a sneak peek, as they are called.

I also know of several game sites, like Artifex Mundi and BoomZap, who are asking on their sites for beta testers.

It also helps to check out the devs' FB sites - you don't have to be a member to access their main page, where they often tell you of upcoming games.

And as was said before, if I hear of an upcoming game, I just search for it online, usually with the word "survey" after it, because that's BigFish's "line", and then find the betas that get me straight to the ones here at BF.

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 8:55 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:If there's one I know is coming out eventually, I'll do a search for it online, which often leads to the beta one here, so I can give my input on it. I've got some beloved developers who are a bit prone to typos, misspellings, and translation errors, and I like to try to help catch those moments, and also to make sure there's less of a risk of a glitchy release. I don't abuse it by playing and not giving feedback--that's kind of an obnoxious thing to do, especially frequently. But as a writer and teacher of writing (critical analysis especially), I like to think I can give some valuable feedback. Others, of course, may disagree.

I am just the opposite, so I guess I'm "obnoxious!" I often play the survey games but never do the survey afterwards since I wasn't sent the invitation to do so. It used to mean something when someone said, "I played the beta," but not anymore. Everyone can find the betas/surveys online, so I figured they would be inundated with responses if extra players answered. Not sure how finding them online, playing, and not doing the survey is obnoxious though... they don't know I played. I actually feel a bit guilty playing them without being asked to!

If the developer sends me an email, you can be sure I give my feedback!

You're right--obnoxious is not the right word. I'm a bit "worded" out from 8 hours of lesson planning and student emails, so my word choices are far harsher right now than they should be. I guess i meant that I felt like I was cheating a bit by getting an early view without giving something back in return. Given that they've never said, after I gave my email address, "Hey, you didn't get an email from US!" I figured that more feedback from a wider audience was appreciated. I definitely wasn't meaning to insult anyone.

Go to: