ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

Self Publishing?

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 9, 14 10:10 AM
Just saw this on the BZ site... any guesses on what this means if anything for ART? Are they moving away from BFG? Is this the reason for the delay?

Casual game developer Boomzap Entertainment has announced a new brand called Boomzap Fight Club. It will house the studio’s free-to-play, mobile-first strategy games, and is kicking off with two original titles: Pillage People and the recently-released Super Awesome Quest.

Boomzap has long been known for developing hidden object puzzle adventure games for casual game portals like Big Fish. With the introduction of the Boomzap Fight Club brand, it is moving towards self-publishing.

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

Self Publishing?

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Oct 9, 14 1:43 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:Just saw this on the BZ site... any guesses on what this means if anything for ART? Are they moving away from BFG? Is this the reason for the delay?

Casual game developer Boomzap Entertainment has announced a new brand called Boomzap Fight Club. It will house the studio’s free-to-play, mobile-first strategy games, and is kicking off with two original titles: Pillage People and the recently-released Super Awesome Quest.

Boomzap has long been known for developing hidden object puzzle adventure games for casual game portals like Big Fish. With the introduction of the Boomzap Fight Club brand, it is moving towards self-publishing.

Did anyone find out what this means? Is this why nothing is being done with the game?

NanaLoona
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

Self Publishing?

[Post New]by NanaLoona on Oct 9, 14 2:38 PM
jbmf_06 wrote:

Did anyone find out what this means? Is this why nothing is being done with the game?

What it means to me is that BoomZap is trying to see if they can make a go of it on their own. If they do and they self-publish ART:AD I will be there with bells on. I seriously this game and will follow it anywhere.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. It's been known to happen.

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

Re:Self Publishing?

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Oct 9, 14 5:08 PM
Don't they have more games then ART here? If so are they getting updates? That could tell you something maybe.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 10:34:06 PM PST

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 9, 14 5:20 PM
jbmf_06 wrote:Don't they have more games the ART here? If so are they getting updates? That could tell you something maybe.

Their other FTP game, Awakening Kingdoms, just received an update at the end of September.. That's why the message is so confusing.

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Oct 9, 14 7:08 PM
The only things I can guess from this announcement is:

1) BZ is very busy with reorganization and has no time for ART

2) AK (the sister game to ART) has had 3 updates since the last ART update

3) Possibly AK pulls in more revenues than ART (which began approximately 4 months before AK) and has more players at lower levels WHO REQUIRE MORE TRIPS TO THE BANK

4) I have no idea what 'mobile-first strategy games' MEANS.

In all, I don't think any of this bodes well for ART. So much for my previously eternal optimism....

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 9, 14 7:17 PM
mpendo wrote:

4) I have no idea what 'mobile-first strategy games' MEANS.

My only guess on this one is that perhaps Mobile First means games they are planning on launching on the IPAD/Android first? But, I would also think that BFG would WANT to be a part of any of those launches too...

So, I guess never mind.. still clueless. I agreed with your other statements too..

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 9, 14 7:21 PM
Oh, wait a minute..

A LONG time ago, when BFG and all these online purchase companies first started (Remember when you had to buy cds at the computer store for games?), you used to be able to buy directly from the game maker OR a site like BFG.

I wonder if all they mean is that they are going to start that option as well? Maybe a way to keep a higher percentage of the profits? But, still have the option open for BFG..

just a thought.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Oct 9, 14 8:12 PM
I think it is wonderful that BZ is trying to do something different for themselves. I will be following the tinkling Nana over there is a heartbeat. There is something definitely afoot with them and I hope they have great success.

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Oct 9, 14 10:38 PM
That would sure explain a lot if that is the case.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Oct 10, 14 4:24 AM
ChestnutHeights wrote:Oh, wait a minute..

A LONG time ago, when BFG and all these online purchase companies first started (Remember when you had to buy cds at the computer store for games?), you used to be able to buy directly from the game maker OR a site like BFG.

I wonder if all they mean is that they are going to start that option as well? Maybe a way to keep a higher percentage of the profits? But, still have the option open for BFG..

just a thought.

Looking at the site, there is a bit about beta testing and one of the questions in there is how many stream games have you bought. I looked it up, looks to be what you are describing. Actually thought if I had some time this weekend I would see how it works and choices available because I will so bail in a heartbeat if there was a viable alternative.

ldehaan1
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by ldehaan1 on Oct 10, 14 5:30 AM
There are only 2 games that are going to be offered this weekend by them. FightClub and another one that isn't anything like this. They are still working on the update per Monika.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Oct 10, 14 7:22 PM
Yes, only the two and it appears only in SE Asia. Neither of those games look like anything I would be interested in anyway. I was referring to "Steam" as another source for games. Only glanced at it this morning and have no idea what is available but I do know I am not finding anything else on here that I want to play. Might be more of the same, don't know yet.

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on Oct 11, 14 2:02 AM
OddlyEnuh wrote:Yes, only the two and it appears only in SE Asia. Neither of those games look like anything I would be interested in anyway. I was referring to "Steam" as another source for games. Only glanced at it this morning and have no idea what is available but I do know I am not finding anything else on here that I want to play. Might be more of the same, don't know yet.

Yes they do have a wide range - including some of a very different style (not just wargames and suchlike). They also promote small producers. I have had several from there, mainly through my son who uses them.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Oct 11, 14 6:21 AM
Wulf, would the use of such sites also prompt the "need for speed" on one's internet connection?

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Oct 11, 14 6:47 AM
First, as to the "need for speed"...a lot of computers are built specifically for high-end gamers (not ART!). These are your shooters and fight games, where action/reaction need to be immediate. I guess, if you're into that, that it wouldn't be much fun to shoot someone and have them able to shoot back because the bullet was too slow. Not my style...but I live with a GTA player.

As to the rest, I'm guessing that BFG has contracts with their devs, and that those contracts will be honored. I don't see the games that are already here moving strictly to the BZ site, and I would be surprised if contractual agreements would let them. (Pure speculation, of course...I have no idea how those are phrased.)

But I would guess that both BZ and BFG will support the applications here. Frankly, I hope that BZ does go to a different type of format for its site. One of the things I like about BFG is that I don't really find violent games here. My children are grown, but I like the idea of a site where I'm not going to find a massive war game; rather, a massive exploration and puzzle game.

So I'm optimistically hoping for a continuation of games of this sort at BFG, and let BZ and others put the shooters/war games elsewhere.

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on Oct 11, 14 2:13 PM
OddlyEnuh wrote:Wulf, would the use of such sites also prompt the "need for speed" on one's internet connection?

That is hard to judge. I have a fairly fast system, which has coped with everything so far (including stuff from other providers) but would probably not be so good for the really heavy shooter games - which of course I don't want! .
I agree with ekstra that one of the attractions of BigFish is the nature of the games they offer (even if these do get somewhat repetitive after a while....). So although we might be criticizing them for the apparent mess-up going on at the moment with ART, the games world might well be poorer if they didn't exist.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Oct 11, 14 8:24 PM
I think the games that Boomzap said they will launch are only for mobile devices (and maybe iPad) at this point.

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on Oct 12, 14 8:39 AM
--Yes that's right. and it is understandable that for these it makes sense to self-publish.

Go to: