ouji board?

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:ouji board?

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 9, 14 11:17 AM
Hi Angelofmusic62

I totally understand. I also tinkered around with one of these when I was a foolish teen. Nothing ever happened, but it was spooky. I didn't like seeing this one particularly.

It's like an old-fashioned game of hangman, but this is a puzzle. It would be a shame for you to miss a great game. Why not simply walk away from the computer for a few minutes until your Skip charges and then come back and hit that button.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

ouji board?

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 9, 14 11:58 AM
angelofmusic62 wrote:I thought I read a post about a ouji board puzzle in this game. Without going into detail, let's say I had a very terrifying experience with a ouiji board, and will not play a game that includes it. If it is just sitting in a hidden object scene, no problem, but if it truly a puzzle, it would make me uncomfortable. Thanks.

It looked like a Ouija board to me. It is involved in a puzzle. I skipped it and I don't know what the puzzle was about but I think it probably involves guessing letters by pointing at them with the planchette or whatever it's called. It's possible that it might show up later in the game. There is also a crystal ball and a person to contact using it - from what I could gather.

You can skip the puzzle in one second if you set the hint recharge at one second.

I used to play with those boards at parties all the time and then suddenly I didn't want to have anything to do with them. I won't even be in the same room with one.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 11:59:02 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 9, 14 4:28 PM
This is probably the most stupid question of all time, but... what's an oujia board?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 9, 14 5:17 PM
BF should definitely stay away from the whole Ouija board controversy as a family entertainment site. Actually I am surprised this element showed up in the game. Wait until the movie comes out. I betcha there will be all kinds of controversy concerning this everywhere which will no doubt see a huge sales increase in the boards.

Catbag: It is a board which some communicates with the spirit world. "Oui" is French for yes and "Ja" is German for yes. I just read some info about it being affiliated with some entity called "Zozo." Supposedly people who have used the board have been hounded by evil spirits and many have committed crimes under its influence. Most Christian churches look unfavorably with their parishioners engaging in the practice of using the board. Supposedly the infamous "Exorcist" case involved the victim using the board to contact evil spirits which persisted with him throughout life. Supposedly it opens a portal in which you invite evil into your life. It is rather like inviting a vampire into your home. Hope that helps explain it.

Take it from "Glinda," and "Tabitha" the friendly good "blonde" "do gooder" witches - it probably best to leave it alone.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 5:44:43 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 9, 14 6:14 PM
Ouija boards were burned by Christian fundamentalists along with Harry Potter books. I'd take all the scary stories with a grain of salt unless you think Harry Potter is also demonic.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 9, 14 6:38 PM
I choose to steer clear of Ouija boards in pc games or otherwise.... if you believe in things spiritual (even as basic as good vs evil) and that goes for secular or NOT*, I see no reason to dabble with one while playing a PC game.

I skipped it.

BTW... love this game... it's phenomenal!

*ETA: My suggestion to anyone on the fence or left questions after reading through this thread is to ask your spiritual advisor if you attend a church or, if not, do an internet search and read several varied sources for information and decide for yourself.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 10:06:01 PM PST

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 9, 14 7:53 PM
Catbag8717 - A ouija board is a game. You buy it in a toy store, in the board game department.

You place your hands on the planchette (plastic piece like an arrow) and ask a question. The board has the letters of the alphabet, numbers, hello and goodbye, yes and no. It is supposed to move on it's own to spell out the answer, but anyone who used one in their youth know that you really push it where you want it to go! They are commonly used at parties, especially with middle school girls.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 8:02:38 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 10, 14 3:08 AM
I find it amazing to see that just because the word "ouija board" has been mentioned, people assume - as they always do here - that you have to play a game with the board.
Why not find out for yourself what is involved before second guessing and assuming and... whooooo... saying things on the forums that, as Snappy says, should be taken with a grain of salt.
We are living in the 21st century, not the Dark Ages - wake up !! Although, from what I read here sometimes, it certainly looks like some peeps are still living in the Dark Ages.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Oct 10, 14 3:28 AM
Well because if the part with the Ouija board is not in the demo and if you come across it later in the game and if it is necessary to use it to advance in the game. That's it I won't go any further and just wasted my money or my credits on a game that I will not play any more.

Dark Ages or not, I refuse to anything to do with Ouija boards and knowing that they are in a game is valuable information to me.

As Tiger2010 said that this is a puzzle that can be skipped, I don't have a problem with that.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Oct 10, 14 4:19 AM
snapnhiss wrote:Ouija boards were burned by Christian fundamentalists along with Harry Potter books. I'd take all the scary stories with a grain of salt unless you think Harry Potter is also demonic.

Agreed. I had some strange experiences with my Ouija board, but realized it's all in your head and shaky hands. Seriously. OTOH, I DO understand phobias; we once moved because there were mice in the bedroom walls scratching all night. Last time we rented a house, before we scrounged enough dinero for our first new home. I won't even get into the giant millipede that we found on the floor of the second new house. We're still here - creepy, crawly long gone. Back to the game.

I got this one with a free code from a prior oops! so I don't have such deep feelings about it apparently being the game of the decade (yep, talk about hype)!!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 10, 14 9:35 PM
In today's world of supposed political correctness I find some of the comments here are quite down-putting and mean (though I don't take personal offense, I do take offense) and, frankly some of the comments are just plain thoughtless and rude considering one of the statements made actually used people's denominations to form an opinion.

I think a little (or actually a LOT) more respect is called for or is being considerate of one another part of the Dark Ages as well?~!

I wouldn't see anyone calling out an ethnic group nor sexual identity as examples for anything so leave people's religious beliefs out of your judgments.... it's not acceptable.

Further, some people here have even broken forum rules in order to belittle others.

I am NOT of the particular denomination mentioned, however, one need NOT be same to see it is clearly not considerate whatsoever and neither are quite a few of the other put downs and some of them coming from peeps who have criticized others for being too harsh!? hmmm.

Edited on 10/10/2014 at 9:46:44 PM PST

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 11:37 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote:In today's world of supposed political correctness I find some of the comments here are quite down-putting and mean (though I don't take personal offense, I do take offense) and, frankly some of the comments are just plain thoughtless and rude considering one of the statements made actually used people's denominations to form an opinion.

I think a little (or actually a LOT) more respect is called for or is being considerate of one another part of the Dark Ages as well?~!

I wouldn't see anyone calling out an ethnic group nor sexual identity as examples for anything so leave people's religious beliefs out of your judgments.... it's not acceptable.

Further, some people here have even broken forum rules in order to belittle others.

I am NOT of the particular denomination mentioned, however, one need NOT be same to see it is clearly not considerate whatsoever and neither are quite a few of the other put downs and some of them coming from peeps who have criticized others for being too harsh!? hmmm.

Agreed. I'm not a fundamentalist (I've been burned by that too much to be there), but I do still believe in an afterlife and paranormal (though not every idea out there, and I don't think everything is demonic) phenomenon, as long as it is fully debunked. In my opinion, Ouija boards are neutral unless used carelessly or with intent to provoke certain types of entities/spirits/elementals, much like almost any other tool for either natural or supernatural use.

My only criticism, and it's a gentle one, is asking for a censoring of the game because it is a "family site." It's really not, given some of the games' more violent depictions, and I wouldn't want to see games not made available for reasons like not wanting to expose children to certain themes. Keeping boards and reviews family friendly--that I I would agree with. I would completely support having a disclaimer on the ones with more adult themes, though, as well as those dealing with more real-world occult items for those who want to avoid exposure to those ideas... (continued...)

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 11:45 PM
(...continuation) Just recently, I beta-tested a game for Elephant games which depicted, in a disturbingly realistic way) an axe murderer dragging a potential victim around by her hair. It has not been a year (perhaps not even six months) since the local abduction, rape, and murder of 10-year-old Hailey Owens (I live in Springfield, MO), which really shook many of us up because the alert went out so quickly, the monster caught so quickly, that we could not believe it wasn't fast enough to save her. I still am incredibly wigged out about it, and it's a reason I'm seriously considering not buying the game, despite it being in a series I've loved so far.

Plus, I wouldn't mind a warning about games that contain copious images and animations of spiders!

I've been on both the far right (past) and the moderate left (present) on this topic, so I can see both points of view. Please be respectful of one another on these topics, and if you believe their point of view is wrong, give them time to work it out for themselves. Many people do change viewpoints with life experience, but speaking patronizingly or dismissively about someone who disagrees with you based on their personal world views, as well as asking others to abide by your own spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) is disrespectful of others' autonomy and does not exactly open them up to hearing your perspective.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 11, 14 8:18 AM
My goodness. If this turn in the discussion is due to a comment Snapnhiss made (the only reference I read to "denomination") then please reread it. She only made a statement of fact. It's a fact easily verified online, even on Wikipedia!

If the discussion was on a different subject, we may very well have mentioned ethnic groups (perhaps "the Hutu murdered nearly a million Tutsi"). I can't imagine a scenario where we would "call out" anyone based on sexual identity though!

I find it interesting that Angelofmusic62's comment supported mine, that Oujia boards are most often used by middle school girls at parties! I am not sure when this took place, but a lot of dinette chairs are on wheels. I can very well picture another girl kicking the chair with her foot, sending it backwards into the wall. Since it had more of a reaction than intended (knocking the girl out), she wouldn't have admitted it!

Our phobias often have a basis in our past. Mine does! Fortunately only one game I have ever come across had a damn in it, so I'm not inconvenienced!

Not saying "it's just a game," though. I believe some games do contain offensive content to certain people. I don't buy, and contact the developers to let them know why.

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Oct 11, 14 11:55 AM
Spirit or Talking Boards have been in use far longer than “Quija” boards have been mass-marketed. Whether you consider a Quija board a toy or a tool it, in and of itself, is not evil. Few things are.

Many of us, myself included, have imagery, plot points or situations that make us uncomfortable. I have given up on several demo’s when the artwork or storyline venture too far into my “sensitive” zone.

That being said, Ouija boards and crystal balls don’t bother me. I don’t use a Spirit Board though I have seen some really beautiful handmade ones. But, I treasure my crystal ball as it helps me focus when meditating.

If anyone feels that a Quija board might open the door to unwelcome experiences, whether used as a toy or a tool, they should avoid them. If they become uncomfortable with depictions of Quija boards in a game, then avoid the game.

But recognize that any item, plot point or situation that makes you uncomfortable may be acceptable to someone else. BFG simply can’t please everyone with their game offerings. You have only to read the game reviews here in the Game Forums and on the Game Page to know that not everybody likes every game. If BFG were to sell only games that everybody liked then they would have nothing to sell.

Keep your dorsal fin up
Tauret

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 12, 14 10:16 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:My goodness. If this turn in the discussion is due to a comment Snapnhiss made (the only reference I read to "denomination") then please reread it. She only made a statement of fact. It's a fact easily verified online, even on Wikipedia!

Thanks. I had no idea that mentioning an actual event would be considered offensive.

Edited to add: it's really more of a hangman game if anyone is curious.

Edited on 10/12/2014 at 10:17:40 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 12, 14 12:04 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:My goodness. If this turn in the discussion is due to a comment Snapnhiss made (the only reference I read to "denomination") then please reread it. She only made a statement of fact. It's a fact easily verified online, even on Wikipedia!

If the discussion was on a different subject, we may very well have mentioned ethnic groups (perhaps "the Hutu murdered nearly a million Tutsi"). I can't imagine a scenario where we would "call out" anyone based on sexual identity though!

I find it interesting that Angelofmusic62's comment supported mine, that Oujia boards are most often used by middle school girls at parties! I am not sure when this took place, but a lot of dinette chairs are on wheels. I can very well picture another girl kicking the chair with her foot, sending it backwards into the wall. Since it had more of a reaction than intended (knocking the girl out), she wouldn't have admitted it!

Our phobias often have a basis in our past. Mine does! Fortunately only one game I have ever come across had a damn in it, so I'm not inconvenienced!

Not saying "it's just a game," though. I believe some games do contain offensive content to certain people. I don't buy, and contact the developers to let them know why.

Once at a party (middle school) I listened as four girls in another room held a séance. I don't know if they used a Ouija board. I heard one of them say, "If you can hear us, knock three times" and I just couldn't resist so I knocked on the wall three times. And all four of them came screaming out of the next room.

felinefi
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by felinefi on Oct 12, 14 7:26 PM
For everyone that is making the Ouija Board power comments can I ask how old you are?

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 12, 14 8:42 PM
Jurinne wrote:

Once at a party (middle school) I listened as four girls in another room held a séance. I don't know if they used a Ouija board. I heard one of them say, "If you can hear us, knock three times" and I just couldn't resist so I knocked on the wall three times. And all four of them came screaming out of the next room.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 12, 14 8:43 PM
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:Plus, I wouldn't mind a warning about games that contain copious images and animations of spiders!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited on 10/12/2014 at 8:43:42 PM PST

Go to: