ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

Interesting Information on Relationships

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 10, 14 2:45 PM
So for a while many of us, including me, have been scratching our heads wondering what is going on with ART. I posted the information about the new venture. But, have continued to try to do some investigative work.. it just is so puzzling.

For those who are interested, there is a very interesting video on the website gamesource. (for obvious reasons, I can't post the link.. but PM me if you want it).

There is a video there where one of the founders (Chris-- and yes, he looks like our pilot in the game) talks about the relationships with publishers and how "In 20 years, I haven't seen it so broken".

Gives some great insight into the gaming world and I think sheds some light on our current situation.

The video is called Christopher Natsuume on Boomzap and creating success.
It's super long and I didn't watch the whole thing.. BUT

The REALLY interesting point starts at 8:44..

Let me know what your take is,....

mojitomomma
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Interesting Information on Relationships

[Post New]by mojitomomma on Oct 10, 14 4:35 PM
And he says good things about BFG as a publisher. Impatiently waiting for this next update, I am learning way more about FTP games than a middle-aged woman needs to know. Now I want to know what the LTV is for Antiques Roadtrip Trip - American Dreamin'

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Oct 10, 14 7:09 PM
I second that, Mojo; way more about the gaming business than I ever wanted to know, period.

It does reinforce the idea I have had all along that someone is dragging their feet on the promised and produced update for our little game. Course, no closer to knowing who is responsible for it and sure I will never know. Oh well, off to putz around with something for a while - toe to the hamster wheel time.

pinkfour
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by pinkfour on Oct 11, 14 8:36 AM
LTV...I'm intrigued.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Oct 11, 14 11:57 AM
ChestnutHeights -

Thank you for drawing my attention to the interview.

The interview appears to have taken place in May, so I'm not sure how much it relates to the problems getting a new release. I think the hold-up has more to do with how buggy - and costly - the last update turned out to be.

I took the stuff about self-publishing to refer mostly to the mobile devices. The only place games for iPads and iPhones can be sold is through Apple. Chris feels that a developer doesn't really need a publisher for those games.

In the interview, while talking about self-publishing, Chris mentions having had to make the decision to pull the plug on a project. I really don't think he's was talking about ART, again because of the date and the fact that ART is not self-published. The self-published games BoomZap has launched are all limited at this time to the Asian market.

He did have very good things to say about BFG. What all of the men were getting at was that publishers used to hand out up-front money and be willing to take chances on games. Now not many publishers are wiling to take a risk, but they still want a large slice of the profits. He does NOT put BFG in that category.

So I don't think we can look at the lack of update and say "BoomZap good - Big Fish bad."

Maybe there's been some bickering between the two companies regarding who should take the fault for the last disastrous update which has to have had a big affect on revenue flow. BoomZap coded it, BFG as publisher does the QA. I think there's enough blame to go around to all.

mojitomomma
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by mojitomomma on Oct 11, 14 12:44 PM
pinkfour wrote:LTV...I'm intrigued.
Lifetime value, or LTV, is a measure of the average total revenue that a customer pays into a franchise. In retail this might mean how many sequels they buy, whereas in online games it might mean how many virtual goods they purchase. Sounds like LTV is the bottom line for both developers and pubIishers. I think many of us casual gamers forget that FTP isn't really meant to be FTP. Developers and publishers want to make money or there is no incentive to create, publish or update a game.

I found the interview interesting, though watched only about 30 minutes. I agree with your thoughts TiramaSue and I'm sure there is enough blame to go around, almost always in most of life's situations, imho. However, I did find the title of the article and quote about the serious breakdown between developers and publishers these days to be a little telling. ART has been out for over a year now so think there could still be some "issues" between the party causing this unreasonable (again, imho) delay in the release of the update.

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Oct 11, 14 1:42 PM
Chestnut< I watched the whole video and I found it very interesting. As for the LTV I also understand what he said and it really dose make sense. > mojitomomma< explains it below in her reply. She makes it very easy to understand. For those who have ever sold something you can understand pretty much how it works. It was nice to see the faces on the other side of the games.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 14, 14 8:16 PM

Great synopsis TiramaSue. I agree with most, if not all of it. After some more thought, I do think that the self-publishing refers to the mobile devices. And I don't think one company is better than the other either. I blame both.

I guess my biggest concern is the amount of time that's lapsed between the updates. And honestly, when I saw the video I thought of ART.

Why? Because our last update was June. It's very possible to have pulled the plug in May and still have had this in the pipeline and therefore released.

I hope I'm wrong. And I know that in July, we did get some insight into the new release.

So, assuming my first notion is wrong, then why the delay?

My guess, because of the money needed to make the game profitable. So that if/when they do release an update it will NOT look like the ART we've come to enjoy.

If you think about it, a lot of us have come to the point where because of the events and the access to gold during them, the amount of cash that's been accumulated.. there's not really a need for many to visit the bank. Thus, not enough money being generated.

This game has had very similar components to AK. As a matter of fact, for those who've posted on the BZ site, they are often asked if they play the other.. so, I don't think it's glitch or bug related.

I wish, whatever the fate of this game, they would let us know already. I barely play anymore. Have not played a HOS in ages.. more of a quest driven player... and I've been reset down to day 1, so there's no motivation there..

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on Oct 15, 14 6:53 AM
Yes, the video is worth watching and helps to explain a lot, particularly the need for "publishers" like BigFish who have the funding and the resources of personnel to do all the testing, QA and marketing. He is indeed supportive of BigFish, but is scathing about some other operators, and I suspect he might have changed his opinions a bit in the light of the current hold-up!!
It is also interesting to refer back to the other video interview, which is posted on BZ's own site ("meet the developers") , where Chris emphasises that ART is his very favourite game and repeats his heavy commitment to it. I still think that we can trust him to fight for it very hard before allowing it to be abandoned - and that this is in no way BZ's intention.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Oct 15, 14 7:04 AM
ChestnutHeights -

I forgot to mention that in the video, Chris talks about free to play games that are very popular, played by lots of people, but because those people don't spend any money, the game gets abandoned.

Again, at the time of the interview, I don't think he was talking about ART, but because of the gold-giving glitch, ART could now be in that category. Maybe the big delay is caused by BoomZap and ig Fish trying to find a way to save the game and make it profitable once more.

As an aside, I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad one, but that update we had said there would be 120 auction DQ's. I could swear I hadn't missed any, but I received DQ 121 today. On the other hand, I didn't miss signing in any day but my daily bonus at one point sent me back to day 85, so maybe that messed up the DQ count on my game???

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Oct 15, 14 9:37 PM
wulfruna wrote:Yes, the video is worth watching and helps to explain a lot, particularly the need for "publishers" like BigFish who have the funding and the resources of personnel to do all the testing, QA and marketing. He is indeed supportive of BigFish, but is scathing about some other operators, and I suspect he might have changed his opinions a bit in the light of the current hold-up!!
It is also interesting to refer back to the other video interview, which is posted on BZ's own site ("meet the developers") , where Chris emphasises that ART is his very favourite game and repeats his heavy commitment to it. I still think that we can trust him to fight for it very hard before allowing it to be abandoned - and that this is in no way BZ's intention.

Don't you think Yokohama Chris looks like the BZ guy? You think it's modeled after him? Wasn't there a story line out there some time ago about Margaret and an affair or something?

Could Margaret be with Chris? What was that storyline anyway?

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Oct 16, 14 10:41 AM
ChestnutHeights wrote:
wulfruna wrote:Yes, the video is worth watching and helps to explain a lot, particularly the need for "publishers" like BigFish who have the funding and the resources of personnel to do all the testing, QA and marketing. He is indeed supportive of BigFish, but is scathing about some other operators, and I suspect he might have changed his opinions a bit in the light of the current hold-up!!

Don't you think Yokohama Chris looks like the BZ guy? You think it's modeled after him? Wasn't there a story line out there some time ago about Margaret and an affair or something?

Could Margaret be with Chris? What was that storyline anyway?

There was a story line with Margaret wanting to send a letter to somebody she hadn't seen in many years. We never found out who it was. I thought the Margaret story line was going to be part of the Valentine event and the person she wrote to would be at the Valentine party, but it didn't happen.

Read the descriptions on the first three photos of the Photos of Scenery collectible set.

I think JC is Jeremiah Craig (a relative of Thomas Craig, the librarian?) and MM is Margaret. Was there something going on between them in the past? Is JC who Margaret sent the letter to?

Go to: