Please post your REVIEWS for Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween here!

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 14, 14 7:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:23:44 AM PST

doorgirl
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween here!

[Post New]by doorgirl on Oct 14, 14 3:33 PM
I love this game! This is a point-and-click adventure game with some hidden objects. It's hard. I am intermediate and this doesn't hold your hand. You have to work for the stuff. But it is very smart and very funny. The dialog is well-done. A completely different attitude from Dark Realms or League of Light. This does not take itself seriously at all. The tech part of it works very well and I love the graphics. It's clever and, did I mention: hard. I get stuck. You look for bats to earn hints and there's not a whole lot of them. It's very different from the games I usually play, but I gambled and laughed out loud for the intro. If you don't mind a real change of pace AND a challenge try this. Wish their others were on the Mac side,too!

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Oct 15, 14 1:14 AM
I was ecstatic when I saw the game listed on BFG. There's NO handholding what so ever! But, it does have an excellent jump map.

You play a young boy who is determined to see Halloween take place. Strange events occour all around, starting in the boys home. You will have to search every nook and cranny in and out of the house. As you progress, there are various gizmos you need to use in order for them to be upgraded.

Even the most seasoned player will be challenged playing this game, nothing is as it seams! Great humour portrayed though out, not to mention the weird & wacky character you'll encounter on your way to find the Lost Halloween.

If you're looking to be challenged, this game is it.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Oct 16, 14 8:41 PM
I LOVED this game! BF didn't carry it for the longest time, so I bought it elsewhere. One of my all time favs! Perfect time of year. You won't regret it (unless you're grumpy - so no treat for you)!

mai66
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mai66 on Oct 19, 14 5:26 AM
I can only find this game as a Mac game here on BF. Is it true that I can´t get it as a PC game, on BF?

[Post New]by Mara2Desp on Oct 19, 14 7:10 AM
mai66 wrote:I can only find this game as a Mac game here on BF. Is it true that I can´t get it as a PC game, on BF?

PC version will be published on October 28th. Thanks!

mai66
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mai66 on Oct 21, 14 8:36 AM
Mara2Desp wrote:
mai66 wrote:I can only find this game as a Mac game here on BF. Is it true that I can´t get it as a PC game, on BF?

PC version will be published on October 28th. Thanks!

Thank you Mara2Desp, for the info.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 28, 14 1:21 AM
Hmm. I heard about this game and how wonderful it is. I hope it improves because so far it is nothing but confusing. The hint and skip buttons take forever to charge and I need that hint button because I have no idea what I am doing besides clicking all over the place and hoping something will happen.

The one puzzle I really tried hard to solve made no sense at all - not even when I skipped it and the solution was shown - absolutely bizarre. I don't mind not having my hand held but good grief!

So far it isn't funny, either. Not one bit.

I may try it again; it's 1:20 a.m. so maybe I'm just tired but I really don't see what is so great about this game.

And no, I'm not grumpy at all. Not everyone likes the same kind of game and that is just fine with me. I already have my Halloween treat, anyway. Today is the first day in about a week that I have managed to get to BF's home page.

Edited on 10/28/2014 at 1:27:26 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 14 2:13 AM
So far I haven't seen a jump map. Only part of a map on the boy's bedroom wall.

I would recommend not to skip the Tutorial when you are able to.

The BF Logo is in widescreen, but the game itself is not - at least not on my laptop.

There is voice-over. You only have the custom cursor, because it will change accordingly to what you hover over - just like in any adventure game.

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Casual, Adventure, Epic Adenture.
You cannot change difficulty mode once you start playing.

There are 14 Achievements.

Throughout the game you will find 6 different types of Candy. With these you can buy stuff to decorate your Yard.

The HOS I have come across were of highly active Silhouettes, and Lists with some interaction.

The Hint button takes 1 minute and 20 seconds to refill in Casual mode. Every once in a while you will find a Bat, which will add an extra Hint to your Hint button, which allows you to use a hint without having to wait for a refill.

The puzzles can be skipped. Unfortunately, the very first one was a Slider, one of those where you have to move the tiles to form an image - was never good at it.

And now for the bad news: The Skip button takes 2 1/2 minutes to fill in Casual mode.

The Candy and some of the objects in the HOS are quite small, and not easy to identify and/or find.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top or unlocked to disappear until needed.

Some of the items in the inventory have a Star next to them. These need further action before they can be used.

Shortly into the game you will find something called a "Gizbelt". Already forgot what that was about. However, a new tab opens next to the Inventory tab, in which all the Gizbelt items go.

--- --- ---

Frankly, I am not sure what to make of this game. It's not quite my kind of game. On the other hand, it's strangely addictive. I may just get it with a PCC.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 28, 14 2:32 AM
Hey Valdy

A new forum has opened up for the PC version of this game, you might want to copy and paste your review into that forum.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 14 3:38 AM
Thank you, Daxadillion. Didn't know there was another one.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Oct 28, 14 3:44 AM
I remember this game from years ago....and it hasn't improved. A positive NO buy for me.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 28, 14 6:01 AM
the game was out in august 2014,and i bought it....elsewhere!played it with pleasure and scratch my head often!good little game!plenty to do here!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Oct 28, 14 7:51 AM
I have been playing the casual mode which includes HO scenes. I think adventure mode is a straight adventure without the HO Scenes. Definitely do the tutorial.

You will receive a jump map further into the game, which will show you which areas are active.

This game really fires up the little grey cells and it has a interesting, weird story and it's looks to be a long one. That might be because I keep getting stuck, but it just makes moving forward feel all the more like a victory.

Finding bats speed up the hint button which will give you a directional arrow on which way to go. Finding candy lets you buy Halloween related items at the shop which you can then use to decorate your yard. Achievements are not the kind that you usually see in a game.

I bought this game somewhere else and almost nearly done. I think that this game is a great unique game.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 28, 14 8:43 AM
edmee1947 wrote:the game was out in august 2014,and i bought it....elsewhere!played it with pleasure and scratch my head often!good little game!plenty to do here!

I too bought the game back when originally released in a "premium" format. Not sure why the CE of this is not available here on BF. I was quite intrigued by the game which does not hold your hand and at times is quite difficult. The humor is dark and funny. Click on everything..wine bottles... books...lol

*The candy is not hard to spot once you know what you are looking for. It is also not necessary to play the game. Just an extra entertainment.
*You also collect bats to speed up the hint time. They are at times obvious but at other times definitely not so.
*There is a jump map, thank goodness, as some of your moves are not quite intuitive. It also shows where things need to be done.
*You will pick up quite a few objects as with all H0s but some you will keep the entire game building up the ability and uses for them.
*The game is also quite long. Plenty of bang for your buck.

Lots of imagination here. I recommend it!

As always...Try before you Buy.
Happy Gaming

Edited to buy a vowel.

Edited on 10/28/2014 at 8:47:44 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 28, 14 5:04 PM

Babes In Pumpkinland

This game is um... different, for sure. It is really an adventure game trying to disguise itself as a hidden object game. In fact the HO's are not there unless you play on the easiest setting (there are three).

What is the story? Well, I played the entire demo and I cannot tell you. It actually got less clear as I progressed. All I could gather is I was a young boy (with a girl's voice) and I have "borrowed" my father's Halloween book. The rest is a mystery to me. The entire demo I constantly found myself not knowing what to do, where to go or why. Oh there were objectives that popped up on the screen, but they were not helpful at all.

In the beginning. there is a lot of dialog which is clumsily drowned out by the music. After that however, the music stops and play continues in an awkward silence. The navigation style is reminiscent of older games, i.e. navigation arrows can be located anywhere, not consistently placed. There was also a loading delay between scenes.

Hints take a while to recharge. Why do I mention this? Since I often had no idea what was going on, there was little choice except to use them. (pssst: Steve does not like to use hints )

There was potential here. The artwork is fine, though a little grainy. The puzzles are a little cryptic, but good. There are tiny collectible candies. Unfortunately it lacks a coherent story, even if it is a fantasy. In my opinion, this seemed to be directed towards children (i.e. sneaking around behind parents, talking with animals, etc.) But there are too many problems so I don't think I could recommend it for them either.

Lost Halloween was lost on me. Two evil pumpkins.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Oct 28, 14 5:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

As Daxadillion pointed out, a second forum was accidentally created Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween because the Mac version was released before the PC version. However, I do want to clarify that the two forums have since been merged and that everyone can continue to post their reviews in this thread.

Cheers, and thanks to everyone who's posted their reviews here!

bfgWaimea

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Oct 29, 14 12:53 PM
Love, Love Love this game. Finally a game that is not a cookie-cutter, save the child, save the female, find a crowbar game. The developer lets you think the whole game out on your own. There is a jump map and collectibles. This is more of an adventure game and I am one happy fishie that this has finally been released on BFG. )

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on Oct 29, 14 7:41 PM
I ALSO LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this game! I have been asking for a HOG with some humor to it and this does! it still has some creepiness, but love, love the humor in this! And this is a very difficult game if you play on the hardest level and you can't change levels during the game, which I LOVE! I really felt like I have gotten my money's worth! And I am still not done! Probably played about 10 hours so far and still on Chapter 4! This is sooo much fun!!!!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 31, 14 2:39 PM
found game very confusing..no buy for me

Go to: