bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons - Released on April 07, 2009

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 6, 09 11:00 PM
Match 3 or more similar dragon eggs to unlock powerful spells and other power-ups. Move the rows and columns to chain together matches, and fill up your magic meter to clear the level. Learn about an adventurers experience with dragons, and unlock gorgeous wallpapers for your desktop as you progress through The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons.

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Re:The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons - Released on April 07, 2009

[Post New]by Wardragon on Apr 7, 09 8:19 AM
So.. Anyone download and play this yet?

My love of dragons has ensured that I'll probably buy it just because it has nice graphics and dragon screen savers in it, but, as a game I'm finding it kind of dull.
The gorgeous wallpapers would be much more gorgeous without "dream farm game" text adverts pasted on them, though.

The match-three egg parts are a lot like Chuzzle. The eggs can lock and stick rows together, and while it's pretty watching them explode, and does take some time collecting the various magic spells, it's very simplistic. They should have made it so you can see baby dragons moving around on the inside of each egg or something.. Especially since the eggs are so darn huge. I liked that about the "Fairies" match-three game. There were fairies on the inside of jars that you had to free.

I also notice that you can only select and move one row at a time, and have to wait until the last row has slid back into place and stopped moving, before you can select again, so the programming is pretty basic too. As I recall other similar games have been a little faster than this.

The puzzle parts are VERY simple.

There's a timer, I know a lot of people hate timers.. I don't mind them though. Didn't see any option to get rid of it.

They could do a whole lot more with this game, so I'm going to support it, but at this point it's nothing exciting.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 7, 09 9:01 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Was really excited about the dragon theme but I'm on the fence about this one. Love the graphics and dragons but game play is dull. Too bad because it could have been an awesome game!

faxbot882
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by faxbot882 on Apr 7, 09 9:09 AM
Thank you Wardragon for that review I also have a great love of Dragonkind they grace my home in many places
I was born the year of the Dragon you see so this game is a tug at my heartstrings and like you will most likely get it for the grafics.
Say is there much of a story to go along with this game?
I was formaly know as Wyerwomen but still love the Dragon Riders of Pern they are a cherished collectionof mine.

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Apr 7, 09 9:56 AM
I also like dragon-themed games and the graphics on this one are nice. I seem to remember a similar type game that came out a while ago called "Fairies." I purchased it from so I'm sure its still available. That game is similar in that you slide rows to make matches and they gecome frozen, etc. but the difference is that the "jars" you matched contained trapped fairies that were released when you made the match. Really neat. Also the pictures you unlocked were gorgeous but obviously they were of fairies (another fav of mine) not dragons. It is a very challenging game that I still play from time to time.

Must say that the slide and match type game is a bit annoying to me since the locks/freezes come fast and furious and I find it very frustrating that you have to keep going back to earn enough match spells to get past some levels. Not for me but I'm sure many will find it a lot of fun with nice dragon inspired graphics.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 7, 09 10:17 AM
There's a book in the lower left corner that has the story but I guess you have to win levels to unlock it because I was only able to read 4 pages.

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Apr 7, 09 10:24 AM
I have to add that there IS strategy involved with playing the game, I don't mean to bash it as mindless. As you progress, the levels get harder and the eggs lock together faster and sometimes there are several rows locked together that you need to find a way to unblock. At those times you need to use certain eggs or your collected powers to break the blocks or clear the board. I did notice that you can also go pretty far just by playing randomly and matching whatever the board offers. Perhaps this may change as I get higher in level, I'm not sure.

@faxbot882: Yes, there is a story that goes along with the game. There's a little book in the bottom left corner of the game that you can click on and read. Each time a new chapter is available to read, it glows. As of yet the story doesn't really tie into the game other than being something fun to read.

@CynthiaV: Yes! I have that game too, it's really great and this one seems to be like that one and also like Popcap's "Chuzzle", with it's own twist, of course.

Momhart
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,296 Posts

[Post New]by Momhart on Apr 7, 09 10:26 AM
I downloaded this game yesterday....twice. Couldn't get to play. I could only hear the music but, the screen was black. I downloaded it again this morning and had the same problem. I only got to see flashes of the game. Wish I could've checked it out.

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Apr 7, 09 10:38 AM
@Momhart: You really should contact BigFish help. They are great, and your problem could be as simple as needing to get your flash and/or shockwave players updated to the latest versions.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 7, 09 2:19 PM
Those of you wondering about the game should read the threat "TGT: [type full name of game]" -- (put that into the search box, and it will come up.)

TGT means "tomorrow's game today", which is the early availability of the game for game club members. We (club members) usually do early reviews.

I like this game a lot. It is untimed -- a must for me -- and as a result you can sit and think about your next move. I have finished it in "classic" mode and am now playing it again in "arcade" mode. I can't seem to find any real differences between the two modes, except maybe how your moves are scored. BTW, you can save one classic game and one arcade game at the same time, which is nice.

The game takes a while to learn, and the "Slav-English" text is not that much help. Still, I think it is well worth learning. It is quite subtle once you learn the way the negative and positive spells work. For example, using the "remove all eggs of one color" spell on an explosive egg can be very useful, especially if it makes other "magic" eggs go off.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Apr 7, 09 4:33 PM
Love the design of this game, the graphics are simply gorgeous! Music was soft and went extremely well with the theme, and never got annoying at all.

Gameplay was easy at first, then required progressively more thought and strategy as it went on.

One oddity I noted is the wallpaper graphics were not stylistically similar to the rest of the game, being more 'cartoonish' than the rest. I thought artistically they were a big step down from the rest of the game graphics.

Enjoyable, but chuzzle-style play is hard on carpal-tunnel sufferers, so I'll not be purchasing.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Apr 7, 09 4:52 PM
I just finished playing the trial hour version of this game and I am rather disappointed. I don't play match 3 types of games very often and was hoping that this one would be fun. I was bored silly before the hour was up. I found that there was no story... I've since read that there is apparently a book someplace that you could read, but I was playing the game and missed it. I rather expected the story to unfold as the game levels did. I won't be buying the game to find that book though! As someone else pointed out, the puzzles were very easy. I never got far enough into the game to have that "faster" pace some talked about. I got past the second puzzle before my hour was up. I found the music as boring as the rest of the game really. I don't know about anyone else, but it was the same tune playing endlessly over and over. I can still hear it ringing in my head. LOL All in all, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless you're a die hard match game fan and don't mind the boring aspects of this one.

Edited on 04/07/2009 at 4:54:12 PM PST

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Apr 7, 09 5:11 PM
I downloaded the game because of the dragon theme and was not impressed at all. I never did figure out what to look for to see how I was doing on the level - it would just end. I wasn't even that impressed with the graphics. I seen a lot better with a better game story line. And for the life of me I can't understand why exploding dragon eggs would move any story along.

Anyway, it got transh canned.

Nice name, tho.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Apr 8, 09 12:13 AM
This looked like it would be more interesting then it has turned out to be, its eggs. Moving the eggs around seems a bit boring and it seems a bit easy. I played the demo some and didn't like it so I uninstalled and it will not be purchased by me.

[Post New]by mbbsun86 on Jun 14, 09 1:13 PM
Help-p-p! I purchaced this game but I never found any information about what I am or it is supposed to do. I started out in classic mode and I got through to the very end. With solving the jigsaws, winning all the trophies, and all the screens were opened. I was not impressed and never figured out what the story was supposed to be about. I figured I just got through on good random choices. I used the blue button on the hour glass but that was all.

What are Spells, I think I know what the magic eggs are

I have never seen anything about what you are talking about in the tips&tricks.
Do I need to reload or what?

[Post New]by taylorrune on May 1, 10 3:54 PM
how do i get the wallpaper to my desk top im using xpversion

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 28, 10 1:04 AM
In this M3 game, you will be moving the columns to match 3 or more eggs. This game has classic and arcade mode, which I found netiher one to be timed. I thought this game was very relaxing to play. The graphics were nice and bright, not sure on the amount of levels, though. You will fill tasks to make spells, earn trophies and I played a short puzzle mini-game. Since this game was the DD and I was happy with it, I believed it was well worth it. For those fishies that don't like timed match 3 games I would recommend this game for you all.

Happy Gaming and Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 28, 10 9:16 AM
I bought this game as today's Daily Deal. I had demoed it sometime past, so couldn't demo it again this morning before buying.

The bad news is that I can't enter a player name. Owner is what it's stuck on.

The other bad news is that I'm not getting much in the way of directions or explanations. I have little clue what I'm doing besides finding matches. There's all sorts of powerups, especially those on the left side, that I have no clue about.

The good news is that I really love the music. And even with no clue, the gameplay is not bad really.

Hmm... someone in this forum mentioned there's a book??? Ah - in the lower left - that brown rectangle... Gonna start the game over and see if following along with the story helps any...

Update: The book doesn't really tell much about gameplay - so far, at least. But it does make the game feel more like other games, with a storyline and all. Gives you something to ponder while you're trying to figure out how to play . At least I'm not losing any levels - not even sure if it's possible to lose. I'm pretty sure I've already gotten at least my 3 bucks worth of gameplay out of it...

Update 2: Finished playing thru classic mode. I enjoyed the story. By now, I'm starting to really dislike eggs, malachite, and oriental music... but not enough to stop me from trying out arcade mode .

Edited on 05/29/2010 at 7:24:42 AM PST

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 6, 10 4:33 PM
Nice graphics, I love dragons and the wallpapers. However, I hate games that don't let you click through the scoring section. I am not interested in points, scores, etc and it is a waste of time to have sit there while the score screen fills in. Also after playing for 45 minutes, I was bored with the repetition. Sliding match 3 games are not my favorite.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Dec 21, 11 12:28 PM
I like this game. It`s bright, colorful and relaxed.

Go to: