STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

Game Timer Wrong = Theft and Fraud

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 15, 14 3:55 PM
I have posted this issue in the technical issues thread as well and contacted BFG customer support directly about this issue, but I think it's worth its own thread for two reasons.

1) The in-game timer on my game (and, thus, I assume on my people's games) is not working properly. When I have purchased the unlimited energy options (ex: unlimited energy for 4 hours) using gold coins (that I spent actual money on), I have found that I do not actually receive the time I have paid for. Since I noticed this glitch, I have made a point to take note of the time at which my "unlimited four hours" starts and the time that it ends using my computer clock and/or iPhone (which are always the same). EVERY SINGLE TIME I have not actually gotten four hours worth of game time. Sometimes it has been off by more than half an hour, but it's not consistent. I have also experimented once with a "unlimited ten hours" just out of curiosity, and it was off by about an hour. Since I am paying real money to purchase gold coins, which are then not actually getting me the promised/advertised amount of play time, THIS IS FRAUD AND THEFT.

2) I submitted my concerns to customer service TWO WEEKS AGO (September 30). I received a form response saying something like "we’re running a little further behind than we’d like to be" that the lists solutions to common in-game problems, none of which addresses the actual problem I am reporting. It says to reply if you still need help. I replied. After several days, I still had no response and replied again. Today I once again received the form response "we’re running a little further behind than we’d like to be" with the list of solutions that doesn't address my problem. I'm pretty close to just contacting the Better Business Bureau at this point. I've purchased dozens of games from BFG over the years, and I've never had such a terrible experience with their customer service (or in this case, lack thereof), and it seems to me that they would be especially quick to respond in a case where there are complaints of fraud (as in, there is actually a legal problem here, not just an annoying game glitch).

Anyway, if any other fishes are purchasing the "unlimited time" options, please watch your clocks carefully to make sure you aren't being cheated as well. Hopefully BFG will get their act together and address this ASAP.

Corky1057
Clownfish
Clownfish
709 Posts

Re:Game Timer Wrong = Theft and Fraud

[Post New]by Corky1057 on Oct 15, 14 6:18 PM
WOW!!!. So sorry you are experiencing this. I do make a mental note of when I start to play unlimited, just so I know about how late it will be before I'm finished, but never actually "timed" it exactly.

I have, however, experienced the tech support issue. I've even referred to it in previous threads. I don't even bother with tech anymore. Not once has a problem been addressed.

Good luck with getting this resolved!!

FuzziNutz
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by FuzziNutz on Oct 16, 14 3:51 AM
Hmmm I have never timed it either and I always use the 4 hour unlimited. And if waht you say is true, then yes it is fraud and theft and luck has nothing to do with getting this resolved.

It is illegal. I know, I asked my husband, he is a lawyer.

Corky1057
Clownfish
Clownfish
709 Posts

[Post New]by Corky1057 on Oct 16, 14 4:46 AM
My "Good luck" statement was meant as, well yes...good luck, but more accurately sarcasm. Referring to tech support of course.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 16, 14 6:55 AM
FuzziNutz wrote:Hmmm I have never timed it either and I always use the 4 hour unlimited. And if waht you say is true, then yes it is fraud and theft and luck has nothing to do with getting this resolved.

It is illegal. I know, I asked my husband, he is a lawyer.

Since you use the four hour unlimited often, I'd be interested to hear if you noticed this happening to you as well. Maybe next time you use it, write down your start and end times?

donnaknight10
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by donnaknight10 on Oct 19, 14 6:06 AM
oh wow, I play four hours unlimited everyday,
Will note the time tomorrow when I play and let you know.

very very interesting......thanks for the information.

WCGal
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by WCGal on Oct 19, 14 4:23 PM
Me too. Though I usually use 10 hours at a time. I'm retired and can (and often do) play much of the day! :-)
I'm on Level 55 so at one hour for each 10 hour period, we're talking major $$/time here. :-((
I, too, will start noting the start time and when it runs out and will report back.

Big Fish really has gone down hill in many ways. Maybe it's time to look for another game site that shows more concern for their clients.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 19, 14 5:20 PM
WCGal wrote:Me too. Though I usually use 10 hours at a time. I'm retired and can (and often do) play much of the day! :-)
I'm on Level 55 so at one hour for each 10 hour period, we're talking major $$/time here. :-((
I, too, will start noting the start time and when it runs out and will report back.

Big Fish really has gone down hill in many ways. Maybe it's time to look for another game site that shows more concern for their clients.

I don't normally have the opportunity to play for 10 hours, but last weekend I clicked that one just as an experiment to see if the glitch was just with the 4 Hour time. I ended up getting about 9 hours instead of 10.

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not clicking away from the game is related to this problem. When I'm playing for an extended time, I often click over to my e-mail or read the news, etc. When you click back to the game, it sort of refreshes/reloads the screen, and I wonder if there's something happening at that point that is causing the time to drain faster than it should. I haven't yet tried to time a four hour unlimited without ever actually clicking away from the game.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 19, 14 5:30 PM
Since BFG has been of no help on this issue, I just submitted a complaint through the game developer's website (amazingly, BFG will not allow me to post the actual name of the company?!?). We'll see if I get anywhere with that...

Edited on 10/19/2014 at 5:30:50 PM PST

raelynn820
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by raelynn820 on Oct 19, 14 5:34 PM
Hi, well I play everyday 4 or 10 hour and have thought at times that I am getting short changed. I left big fish the games are all the same tech support non existant, I think they are really scrambling for clients as there is some kind of sale everyday. I wlll try and track my time also and get back with ya

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 20, 14 3:27 PM
I heard back from BFG Customer Support today (finally). They apologized for the problem and said they will contact the developer about it (which I have also now done on my own...). Also got a refund. I really do think other people should be keeping an eye on this. I can't imagine that this problem is limited to me.

donnaknight10
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by donnaknight10 on Oct 21, 14 7:19 AM
STL531 wrote:I heard back from BFG Customer Support today (finally). They apologized for the problem and said they will contact the developer about it (which I have also now done on my own...). Also got a refund. I really do think other people should be keeping an eye on this. I can't imagine that this problem is limited to me.

well done on getting a refund and thanks for making us all aware of a problem,
I also spend alot of money on this game, which im happy to do as I love the game, but I do want value for my $$$$ and another update would be nice, as ive gone as far as I can

I played today and watched the clock and got exactly 4 hours, I too wondered about clicking out of the game and if that effected the clock, so I didnt leave the game to check the news or emails today, while waiting for a crop to rippen lol which I normally do.

will play 4 hours again tomorrow and leave the game and see what happens

will try the 10hours on the weekend and see what happens too.

happy farmimg to all

Edited on 10/21/2014 at 7:21:22 AM PST

WCGal
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by WCGal on Oct 21, 14 1:33 PM
Well I played my 10 hours yesterday and think it was pretty accurate but missed getting back in time to know for sure. Am doing another 10 hour today and have noted the start time. Will report back on this one also. After this 10 Hour event, I'll test the 4 Hour to check that out.
I'm wondering if the Platform used is making any difference. I run W7 64 bit. What are you folks using? Are we all using the same system?
Pleased you got a refund which I assume you are happy with STL. Unfortunate that the response speed was so glacially slow. :-((

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Oct 21, 14 2:36 PM
Just finished 4hrs, received all time... even exited to see what was happening on the forum. It's always given me my full 4hrs.. It is weird how some issues happen with multiple players, ie. the bee hives, short changed on unlimited. I did have the continue button go out but that was while playing and the electricity went out during a storm. Got it back with a huge major glitch in that almost all the ORIGINAL quests came up again... each one IMMEDIATELY following the other. Talk about your bubble heads... took forever to make them all go away.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 21, 14 7:23 PM
Interesting to hear that other people are not having the same issue. It's happened every time for me (I think I've timed it about a dozen times now, and it's been off by an average of about 25 minutes for the 4 hour unlimited). WCGal wondered if it was a platform problem... I also run W7 (Pro) 64-bit, though, so it sounds like in that respect at least we've got the same set up. I guess I just have bad luck with this one... like gohill mentioned, there are a number of glitches that other people have experienced, and I haven't had any of those issues. Sometimes it doesn't seem like there's any reason why some people have certain problems and others don't. I'm actually relieved it doesn't seem to be a wider problem... but I do hope they work to figure it out if/when there is another update.

Corky1057
Clownfish
Clownfish
709 Posts

[Post New]by Corky1057 on Oct 29, 14 11:54 AM
Well, I have now done a very specific and scientific experiment to test the "getting robbed" theory. I did it 2 times to double check, both on 4 hour unlimited. (I never do 10 hour).

Both times the timers were spot on within 1-2 seconds thru the first couple of hours. As the game progressed I started noticing the time being off by 4 seconds, then 6, then 9, and by the end it was about 25. Oddly enough, the time was in MY favor. The game gave ME the extra 25 seconds. I don't get it, but I did start my timer on my phone the instant the bar filled up, and checked periodically as it wound down.

Sooo, why did it go in my favor by less than 30 seconds and others are getting robbed?

[Post New]by shirley1111 on Jan 24, 15 11:15 AM
I notice it losing time if I minimize the game to do something else online. If I do not minimize he game, the timer is spot on. Hope this helps

Go to: