catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 16, 14 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 10/16/2014 at 5:48:01 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here!

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 16, 14 5:02 AM
As the title suggests, this is not a fairytale game full of pixies, pets or a pretty pink/purple palette. 'Remember you are mortal' is the cheery premise of this latest game from Elephant; there you are in your somewhat dimly lit and cluttered home when someone drops in for a chat. A neighbour? A relative? No such luck. Instead a ghostly apparition (whose name I won't give away) who needs help to hunt down certain people. Why he's after them will become clear when you discover his name.

Unusually for an Elephant game, it played flawlessly on my desktop PC. Nearly every game from this dev has been slow and jerky since I installed Win7 but this runs beautifully. The graphics are lovely and clear, although it is a bit dark in places. There is an option in the menu to turn up the brightness (gamma). If I say too much about the story it will spoil the game but suffice to say I guessed about the first person I had to hunt down long before his deeds were revealed. It's not a difficult game to follow.

Puzzles were ok, a bit on the easy side perhaps. As for the HOS, nothing different from Elephant's usual fare. They need to provide an alternative to their rather boring hidden object scenes. Not to mention a custom setting for play; only the usual 3 modes offered. There was no helper of any description in the demo. There are also 2 types of collectibles.

There is a travel 'map' but the mode of travel is very different! And you will have to return home occasionally to use various equipment before you can proceed with the investigation.

I'm curious to see how the story plays out; even though it's not a terribly challenging game, I've played almost no Elephant games in the past 6 months so it's all quite fresh for me! Will probably wait for the weekend but most likely will buy the CE.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 16, 14 5:48 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:23:22 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 16, 14 7:12 AM
AT AN ATTEMPT TO GET EVERONE ON BOARD, "DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS" ARRIVES AT ITS "FINAL DESTINATION" AT THE POND IN A TRULY AMAZING GAME

The "Final Destination" has alluded souls and it is up to you to get them "back on track" to their final train stop. We have a wonderful "morbid" delight from Pachyderm intermixing several Halloween themes.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT: You are a detective contacted by the personification of Death who needs your service to contact those who have "escaped" from their imminent demise. Other souls will not be allowed to enter this world if these culprits are not apprehended. You will encounter a series of misguided "souls" bringing them to Death's door. While helping Death, you will be solving other mysteries as well. The first case involves a famous singer, Zoe, plagued by health problems with a boyfriend, Leonard, who seems to be hiding something concerning some missing women in the town.

LEVELS: There are three levels of play - Casual, Advanced and Hardcore (no hints at all).

GRAPHICS: ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I always love this dev's graphics and this one amazes as well.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC" - The background "muzac" engulfs you in 3-dimensional sound

MAP: SO AWESOME! You receive an orb which provides a map within a map which transports you and indicates activities. You will be going to Paris, London and Prague.

HIDDEN OBJECT/INVENTORY/PUZZLES: This is more of an adventure game-lite. In the demo I found few HOP scenes or puzzles. The inventory can be locked and is interactive. The HOP scenes are classic interactive and do not provide any variety. The puzzles I encountered were a variation of "moving tiles" and moving objects to the proper locations. They were fairly easy.

PACE: This storyline is interesting and keeps you involved.

EXTRA GOODIES: You collect figurines and cards in the game. You also receive achievements as you play the game.

COMMENTS: BRAVO - DEV! Pachyderm has upped their game with this offering. To me, this is a masterfully created.

ONE OF THEIR BEST GAMES TO DATE! Various "Halloween" themes are meshed together in this game. This game was an IMMEDIATE PURCHASE to play tonight or this weekend.

I RATE THIS GAME 6 DEATH KNELLS OUT OF 5 DEATH KNELLS.

THE OTHER DEATH KNELL? YOU, OF COURSE [Removed by Moderator] (DONNE)

Edited on 10/23/2014 at 8:40:34 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 16, 14 7:48 AM
beautiful one but on the easy side and short one also!way too too short!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 16, 14 9:08 AM
Based on the demo: (I think I played most of it but I have to go to the dentist so I decided to stop because I love this game and want to post my thoughts.)

This is a pachyderm Halloween treat! This is my favorite type of game, eerie and spooky. We are actually helping Death himself out here.

I played on the easiest mode but will probably change that.

The graphics are beautiful.

Lip synching is good.

Gameplay is very smooth.

HOPs are a bit on the easy side so far. A twist in one is that you must open up different lists of items to find.

Puzzles have also been easy or else I really am learning how to solve them. I doubt it is the latter.

There is a jump map. It does show objectives but not areas in which an action can be taken. It's a bit difficult to jump using it. The hint system is faster.

The hint and skip buttons take about 30 seconds to recharge. The hint button is very generous, providing more than one actual hint without the need to recharge.

There are 52 game cards to find. The main game must be completed before a Solitaire game can be accessed.

There are game figures to find. I've found three.

I believe there are also morphing objects although I haven't seen one yet.

There are the usual achievements.

I haven't run across one glitch so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I am going to purchase this game as an CE if there is a sale (I'm keeping my credits for the new MCF game).

Happy gaming!!

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Oct 16, 14 9:25 AM
edmee1947 wrote:beautiful one but on the easy side and short one also!way too too short!

I'm assuming you mean the game is short and that was my fear as I found 1/4 of the collectible cards just during the demo.

Thanks for the info.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Oct 16, 14 9:56 AM
Ok, I may be in the minority here. And, as my review is quite lengthy, you may want to look for the entirety of it at the game page. But, here are the basics:

Death is seeking your character's help locating people who are, basically, trying to "cheat" Death. Not only do you need to find them but you need to find their proof .... that they are, indeed, cheating Death. Now, pardon me, but we ARE talking "DEATH" right? We are a mortal. Why in the world would DEATH (big, bad, sulking DEATH) need our help? Isn't he capable? If not, maybe he doesn't deserve the job anymore. Just sayin'.

There are 3 modes of difficulty - no custom. A diary, transportable map (which I found too intricate to use), an amulet that allows you to talk to dead people. The HOGs, while interactive, were straight up list items. The mini games outweighed the HOGs in number (IMO) and while there were some new features, they were easy.

CE Bling: In addition to the usual wallpapers, concept art, etc. you get the bonus game, a Secret Room (for the figurines you find or is this an extra bonus game?), Collectibles - 52 playing cards (more than one found in each location and I found at LEAST 1/4 during the demo), Figurines - I found 3 during the demo but that could what the secret room is for AND I wonder if there are more for each additional story.

I own the previous 2 games. This one lacked .... something. There wasn't a sense of "we need to go here and do this" during the entire demo. It was very disjointed and didn't flow well at all. In fact, not until the story came to its end, did any of it make much sense as to why you were doing what you were. I definitely didn't get my personal "wow" factor and was even distracted by my puppy several times during game play .... and it really didn't faze me in the least.

Definitely not CE worthy (IMO) and not a purchase for me. Too disjointed, too easy, too "blue" and not enough of anything worthwhile. But, hey, this is just me. I don't feel the need to assist Death today or any other day. I would recommend this for beginners.

Enjoy!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 16, 14 5:11 PM

Hi There, I'm Death And I Need Your Help!

Setting: You play a detective who must help DEATH to restore the "balance" because some people are able to flee from DEATH and if not enough people die, then not enough new souls will be born - or something. I say "or something" because in the first chapter it seems the problem is actually that TOO MANY people are dying, not too few. But you didn't come here for logical stories, did you?

There are several "gizmos" in this game, a fact which immediately caused my "Steve, you won't like this game" antennae to pop up. There is a magic ball which serves as a transportable map - OK so far. Then there is some sort of "developer" apparatus for film etc. There is a key making device. There is also a device that lets you "talk to the dead." That was all during the demo, but I suspect there will be more should you choose to continue.

The drawing style is typical of this series, colorful but very dark. The voices were very American sounding - the problem is, the first chapter takes place in Paris so there is not much of a local flavor.

The game play is fairly easy, made more difficult only by trying to determine the use for weirdly shaped handles and levers. Hidden object scenes are standard lists, interaction needed for two or three items. Puzzles give the initial appearance of a challenge, but actual solutions are easy. There are several memory puzzles during the demo.

There are only three levels of difficulty and none are customizable.

This CE has 3 collectible figures which are all found in the first chapter. There are also collectible cards, a bonus level and a secret room (oops, can't tell you about that).

Honestly, I could not wait for the demo to end. Not to buy the game, just to escape the tedium. The devices made it necessary to transport back to your office too often, interrupting the play. The story was not appealing or sensible enough to overcome the poor voices and easy play.

I'll give this three for effort, but I don't want a memento.

[Post New]by sinfulcashew5 on Oct 16, 14 10:26 PM
I bought the first? game and loved it!
So of course I got this one and finished it toot sweet?
Way too short both the initial game and the bonus game.
Sooooo, I am complaining big time!

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Oct 16, 14 10:38 PM
sinfulcashew5 wrote:I bought the first? game and loved it!
So of course I got this one and finished it toot sweet?
Way too short both the initial game and the bonus game.
Sooooo, I am complaining big time!
Thank for letting us know it is a short game, I played half an hours and get bore.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Oct 17, 14 3:18 AM
Well I might be in the minority here but I don't want to play a game that drags on for days.

I am finding that more and more games are filled with little bits of 'useless' fluff that really have no meaning in the actual game play but are used as 'filler' to make the game seem longer and in a lot of cases drearier. By the time you get to the 'Bonus Game' you are fed up with the whole thing.

This game downloaded and is playing (so far) beautifully on my Windows 7 Laptop.

You can always count on this Developer for beautifully crafted scenes and I personally am enjoying the mixture of HOS and puzzles.

While the subject matter (giving 'Death' a hand) may not be everyone's cup of tea it is not done in poor taste and the story/plotline does seem to move along at a fast pace.

I definitely recommend that you at least 'try' the game and see for yourself!

Maryish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Game Length

[Post New]by Maryish on Oct 17, 14 6:44 AM
Game is fantastic with suspect three had a few glitches

Game is very very short only took me a few hours including bonus would recommend only buying the SE version. So disappointing when buying a CE version that turns out to be such a short game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 17, 14 9:43 AM
Hi all. Another in this series of games, yes, I do have the others as well. This one just didn't seem to be quite as good as the others, but stayed within the same basic story line. Death needs your help tracking down the bad guys. That was a little "out there" for me. I like how they integrated your name into the game, which makes you feel somewhat part of it. The graphics were the same as all the others in the series, very nice. Game play was very good, no problems and my large screen was completely filled. Music was nice. Not a lot in the way of sound FX, but when you needed them, they were there and very well done. Voice overs weren't bad. I especially liked Death's voice...very sinister.

The HOPS are interactive, but not boring. Items are not difficult to find and a little different than most. There are no junk piles and no eye strain finding anything either. Puzzles were not difficult, but some did take a little thought and time to complete. Hint system was quite helpful, filled fairly quickly and transported you where you needed to be, saving a lot of shoe leather. The SG was a little confusing and not easy to follow, so I just mostly used the hint if I needed help. Journal is sitting partially in the hint button, making it easy to hit the wrong item...frequently.

Collectibles are 52 cards, for a game in the bonus it looks like. Also collect character figurines throughout the game and diary pages that help you expose the bad guys for what they really are.

This story was dark and a little unsettling for me in a way, but it is a game. Story line just didn't seem to flow as well as the others in the series for some reason. I was not drawn into the game, with that edge of your seat feel, making me want to run out and get it right away. That said, I do find the need to find the others who are running from Death and see what they did to deserve their fate. There wasn't much challenge or excitement in this game, so I'm not sure I'll get the CE version. I will put this one in my puddle for now.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by Puddytat912 on Oct 17, 14 5:30 PM
I am kinda disappointed - the review said morphing objects and I have yet to see any. Those are the best and I look for games that have them

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I both enjoyed and resented the game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 17, 14 7:28 PM
The game was simple -- sprinkling throughout the game of more difficult to less difficult to solve mini-games desirable. I found all the mini games in the simple category except those where you must drag a thing along a path without your cursor traveling out side the boundary's of the strange things. For a non neurologically challenged individual I could imagine their response as "this is trite and boring". For a neurologically challenged person as I am the silly things were not doable and to try as I did it was incredibly frustrating -- had to skip. Please design with disabilities in mind.

The game was short in length and the bonus chapter fell way short both in length and story.

Choosing to purchase this came at the cost of the CE, my problem, an Elephant Games and BF problem that we were overcharged for this game.s

Graphics were remarkable.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Dec 6, 14 8:40 PM
I really liked playing this game. This is the first HOG I have enjoyed in a long time. The theme is very dark but I like the that the developers took a risk. The puzzles were not hard but I do not think they were easy. I liked that there were 3 separate stories. It gave me good stopping points for my busy life.
I thoroughly enjoyed playing the bonus, although it was short, I though it was long enough
I have not played the other games in the series but I am downloading the first one tonight.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jan 3, 15 10:25 PM
Art for objects & scenes beautiful, but the people portrayed very unevenly. Found the interruptions to go back to home lab to be really disruptive (this was clearly to make the game last longer). The snarky tone of the narrator undercut the effect of the story and all the lavish art. (And inconsistencies in detail are distracting: victim in Paris should have French spelling for name: "Vivienne," etc.) Not a CE buy for me.

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 10:26:29 PM PST

Go to: