twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:Death is not my Friend! depopulation storyline

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 16, 14 11:22 AM
You ask, "Did you consider death a friend?" Yes, I have definitely considered death a friend when my loved ones were dying. I know my mother was ready to die, she told me so. My father was suffering, with no hope for a recovery. If you saw what state he was in I would hope you would have considered death to be a friend to him as well.

Whether helping death catch those who have escaped him is a good premise for a game, I won't get into, as that's a personal opinion. But, I do not believe death is always an enemy.

While killing off a healthy population isn't the way to go, what's wrong with advocating population control? Something has to be done!

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Oct 16, 14 12:09 PM
Death will often set a person free from long term illness, pain and suffering. My oldest and dearest friend became the victim of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). Within three years of contacting the decease, and six months shy of turning 60, she was finally set free.

Another friend who suffered for years -in silence- from Post-dramatic Stress Disorder (PDSD), eventually succeeded in taking her one life.

For you to be judge and jury over a silly game that depicts death as friend. All I can say is; "WAKE UP" you might even learn that; REAL LIFE is STRANGER than FICTION!

Edited on 10/16/2014 at 12:14:49 PM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 16, 14 12:18 PM
I have to agree with twinsoniclab on this one. For many people who are suffering terribly, death may well come to them as a 'friend'.

And 'memento mori' means 'remember you are mortal'. In the end death comes to all of us. Perhaps it would be better to view it as a friend, rather than spending our lives fearing it.

The game isn't advocating population control; it's not suggesting killing off random numbers of people because the world is overcrowded. But let's face it, some countries are doing their own population control; it's called war.

It's time that is the real enemy; that's what runs out eventually.

ETA: My mother also has Alzheimer's. I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who has a loved one suffering with this awful disease or has lost someone to it.

And thankyou Hippyfishie for sharing your incredibly uplifting story.

Edited on 10/17/2014 at 6:07:24 AM PST

Candycleve
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Candycleve on Oct 16, 14 12:27 PM
Having watched my mother die slowly and so so painfully with Alzheimer's, and my sister with MLS, I will say Yes! Death can be such a blessing! If you believe in God you go to a better place. If not, at least you are relieved from your suffering. I could never assist in a suicide, but I do understand those who wish to choose their time to go.

cherkatz1
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by cherkatz1 on Oct 16, 14 12:52 PM
I watched my Grandmother die from cancer and it was horrible. She finally went in her sleep. No more drugs or pain. Death is at an enemy it is a part of life. When are born we start to die. No one wants to lose anyone to death, but it is a part of life.

MarnieRose
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by MarnieRose on Oct 16, 14 1:52 PM
I have to agree with all the replies. I'm a nurse and I've seen people suffer terribly who prayed for death to come and end their suffering. Death was definitely their friend. I've seen some of my own family members suffering with terminal cancer and death was also their friend. I've also seen several elderly members of my family say that they were ready to die and were not afraid of death. Yes, it's painful on those left behind when our loved ones die but that's because we will miss them and our own lives have changed. We're really feeling badly for ourselves and the other loved ones still here, not for the person who has died. I believe they're in a better place. Another point I want to make is that this is a game, not reality and I feel that reality and fantasy need to be kept separate.

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Oct 16, 14 2:06 PM
Death is a part of life, and we cannot escape it. I believe in death with dignity, if someone is suffering with no hope of recovery, they should be allowed to be released. There is no other way.

To really appreciate life, one must realize death is inevitable. I have faced death and I have been given 8 years that I shouldn't have had. I have lived each second of those 8 years being more grateful and more enjoyable than I ever did when I was young.

And yes, having faced my own death at age 42 and survived, I am not afraid of it anymore. I am one of those people that flatlined and was brought back, but I WAS somewhere else. When they brought me back, I wanted to stay there. I felt such peace and joy, like a thick blanket of love was wrapped around me. And a family member who had passed over was waiting for me and I almost reached him, and we were both happy.

I don't care if anyone believes me. My hospice people told me they heard the same story over and over from many people. And I never felt any pain when I awoke, even when they were working on my body.

If you have lost a loved one, I truly know your pain. I have lost many people, including one child with MD and another soon with Anorexia who suffers terribly. My parents are both near death now and they want to be released. But I know we will be together again.

Our bodies are not who we are. Our souls are eternal. I believe you do take something with you when you die = LOVE.

As a storyline, I find it original.

JMHO

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 16, 14 3:16 PM
Sherryah, that's an amazing interpretation of this plot.

What I got out of it is: Death shows up, says there are people that were meant to die that have somehow hidden from him and until they're found and their guilt exposed, no new souls can be born.

If anything, it's claiming that immortality is unnatural and harmful. And since immortality is an impossibility at this point in history, I don't see how that can be taken as an insult.

May I suggest you rethink this? I don't see anything mean spirited in this game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 16, 14 5:29 PM
Hi Sherryah!

Obviously you are a fighter, and I applaud your personal struggle and for "f(ighting) the spirit of Death away many times."

The developers get their feedback from the reviews, so if you want to send them a message regarding the story line, I suggest that you also put your comments in the review thread.

I did not detect the population control angle but, like you, I did not care for the story. Having Death seemingly control how many new lives are created failed to make sense to me.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 16, 14 6:22 PM
It's too bad really. People complain about too many fairy tales, asylum settings, child endangerment, and we have a fairly original story and that's criticized bitterly as well. The devs really can't win.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 16, 14 6:30 PM
snapnhiss wrote:Sherryah, that's an amazing interpretation of this plot.

What I got out of it is: Death shows up, says there are people that were meant to die that have somehow hidden from him and until they're found and their guilt exposed, no new souls can be born.

If anything, it's claiming that immortality is unnatural and harmful. And since immortality is an impossibility at this point in history, I don't see how that can be taken as an insult.

May I suggest you rethink this? I don't see anything mean spirited in this game.

And here we go again... Didn't take long for another game to show up that, yet again, offends some people.

As was said, don't take it out of context.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 16, 14 6:58 PM
I am sorry Sherryah that you have found death such a painful experience.
I was drowned and revived as a child and flat lined during surgery once, and felt such a sense of welcome and peace, that death does indeed seems like a friend.

My father's death at home, a few days after his 100th birthday, was a thing of beauty to us all. He woke up, smiled at us, closed his eyes, and left. We were spared the grieving of our mother who has Alzheimer's and hardly remembered who dad was by that time, and as he loved her deeply, it was a gift to him, to both cease his pain and fatigue, but also not to see his wife continue to deteriorate.

I don't know how long mom will continue, but we hope to give her the same gift of dying in her home, among familiar things.

As for population control?
I do not see that in the game, and it is the sort of political, religious and moral issue that I think Big Fish would prefer that we did not discuss.

I am not going to ask that you reconsider the game....some of us like it very much, other won't for a variety of reasons but I am going to send you my condolences on your personal pain and sorrow for those you miss. Mourning is an individual act, and each person faces it, as they must, and it is clear that you are in pain.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 16, 14 8:40 PM
I just don't see the depopulation storyline. "Death" seems to be troubled and concerned by the fact that no new souls can be born to replace the departed souls. In addition, one hidden object scene in the demo had all kinds of objects that players have deemed offensive at one time or another:
voodoo dolls, a rosary, a werewolf, vampires, an anarchy symbol, and spiders, but no Ouija boards.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Oct 17, 14 5:58 AM
I believe "HauntedTrain Spirits of Charon" had a very similar storyline. It's not a new premise, the story has been told since the beginning of time, I imagine. It is sad when people die before they're ready, I lost my husband way sooner than I expected, but what's the alternative? Live forever? Our bodies deteriorate over time, I really can't imagine being 200 years old, having spent the last hundred sick and feeble, in a nursing home. Who would look after all of us? Everyone would have to become geriatric nurses.
I really appreciate the comments from the people who have passed and miraculously come back to us, giving us a small glimpse of the hereafter. Your words comfort me with the hope of seeing my husband again.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 18, 14 10:14 PM
I'm certain no one wants anyone's friends, loved ones or even "lowly(?!)" stranger to suffer and no one can argue that there is a point where death is welcomed to any worldly pain and suffering. And, of course, it IS part of the natural cycle of life (at least it should be NATURAL). St Francis is known to have said, 'Welcome, Sister death', and, I mean, HE was a saint, lol.

However, IMHO it is a faaar stretch from accepting death and dying to actually participating in the selection of those to die, assisting in same and/or playing it as entertainment.... as a "game".

BTW I am an experienced gamer who has played everything from MMORPH to card games, I have had my share of pain and suffering (faced death) and have and have had family members in a variety of situations surrounding the topic of death and dying; yet I will not share details here since it's really not everyone's business and only mention that much as it relates to this topic of gaming.

So, I can definitely see where Sherryah is coming from even though many are focusing on one part of what she said... it's much deeper than what can be covered in a short thread in a gaming forum and it's a total and complete pass for this gamer.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 18, 14 10:32 PM
Sherryah, the original poster, has deleted her post. The posting threads should be set up so that the original post cannot be deleted, because it can, and often will, have the effect that the other posts don't make sense and/or those who read the thread don't know where all this is coming from in the first place.

So maybe a moderator could lock this thread now?

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Oct 20, 14 4:16 PM
Hey Everyone

It looks like the original post has been removed, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread.

Happy Gaming!

bfgVaiya

Go to: