magpy
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Help please

[Post New]by magpy on Oct 17, 14 5:09 AM
I have just started playing this type of game and am eager to play more but I don't know what category I should be looking for them in. I've bought both Arizona Rose games and another one called Mystery Riddles which isn't as good as Arizona Rose. Would appreciate any referrals to this type of game. Cheers

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Help please

[Post New]by JulieJay on Oct 17, 14 1:00 PM
Hi

Hidden in the Puzzle section you have

Fantasy Mosaics
Fantasy Mosaics 2
Fantasy Mosaics 3
Fantasy Mosaics 4: Art of Color

World Mosaics
World Mosaics 2
World Mosaics 3 - Fairy Tales
World Mosaics 4
World Mosaics 5
World Mosaics 6
World Mosaics 7
World Mosaics Chroma

World Riddles: Animals
World Riddles: Secrets of the Ages
World Riddles: Seven Wonders

And a new one just recently released called Gizmos: Riddle of the Universe

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Oct 18, 14 5:36 PM
The one called Mystery Riddles, by the same developer that does the Arizona Rose games, is one of my favorites because you can play it two ways. One way the whole game is these "griddler" type puzzles. Then you can play the whole game again with "fill-a-pix" puzzles, which I like even more than these. Fill-a-pix puzzles are sort of a cross between griddlers and Minesweeper. You get a colored number in a square and you have to fill in that square or adjoining squares with that many of the color. The goal is to make a picture, just as with the griddlers. Tons of fun!

Edited on 12/20/2014 at 10:18:28 AM PST

[Post New]by chadfo on Nov 23, 14 9:33 AM
Can anyone explain what I am missing? When I get to the puzzles with most of the grids having 2, 3, 4's (lower numbers) I can see no logic in solving the riddle. How do I work it?

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Dec 20, 14 10:02 AM
Chadfo, I usually start those by counting how many squares the numbers in each column or row will take up. If you have a 15 x 15 grid and you have a list of numbers like 2 2 3 1 3, those numbers will take up all 15 squares, if you count the spaces in between, too. (2+sp+2+sp+3+sp+1+sp+3=11 filled + 4 empty= 15). So, you can safely start with the first square and then fill in that whole row or column and your filled row would be (F=filled, X=empty):
FFXFFXFFFXFXFFF

You can fill in some of the squares, too, even if they don't quite all add up to the total. If the example I gave above was 2 2 3 1 2, it only adds to 14 and you have one space left over. So, you don't where the extra space is, but you can still fill in every space but the first one for each set of numbers. So your filled row would look like this (F=filled, ?=not sure):
?F??F??FF????F?

Even if you have 1 2 3 1 2, you can still get one square filled in:
???????F???????

And finally, look for symmetry. If you have 2 2 3 1 3 at one side, look for other rows or columns with the same numbers or the same numbers reversed. That gives you a clue that the picture is symmetric, so you may be able to guess correctly, if you do reach a point where it's necessary. Some of these games can be done completely with logic and no guessing is ever needed. The World Mosaics series is like that. If you can find the logic, you can get it right every time. Less well made games do sometimes rely on guessing and if you guess wrong, oh well, at least it's not your fault. The game should be made better.

I hope that helps.

Edited on 12/20/2014 at 10:03:07 AM PST

Go to: