catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Echoes of the Past: Wolf Healer here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 18, 14 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 6:37:05 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Echoes of the Past: Wolf Healer here!

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 18, 14 6:22 AM
A SUGARY" SWEETEST DAY" FAIRY TALE "FORMULA" GAME WITH TWO HELPERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!

HAPPY SWEETEST DAY TO ALL! "Werewolves" abound in this sugary offering from OrNE in a game which doesn't provide any "warm fuzzies " for "moi." We have two helpers this week - a wolf's paw transforming you back-and-forth from wolf to human along with a "cutesy carrot top" Mira WHO YOU MUST BABYSIT AND DRESS! Continuing in the instruction of child care by BF, this game is a "must have" training for our future " Real Housewives of (you name the city)." I will be brief today and summarize quickly as I need to leave.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT: The "warriors" are invading the kingdom of the "healers" who transform from human to wolf with the use of a crystallized bracelet. Most are abducted and only you and Mira remain. You must rescue the "healers" while babysitting Mira.

LEVELS: There are three levels, REGULAR, ADVANCE AND EXPERT (no hints at all) I had problems with the cursor which I have NEVER experienced before on my gaming computer.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC:" The music is unobtrusive and the voiceovers are decent.

INVENTORY/HOP SCENES/PUZZLES: There is an equal mix of HOP scenes and puzzles. As in most of these "formula" games, the HOP scenes are in "fairy tale books" and are puzzle-like. THE INVENTORY IS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN AND IS NOT INTERACTIVE. The puzzles are a variation of ones we have seen before and are boringly easy.

PACE: BOGGED DOWN WITH TEDIOUS ACTIVITIES. THE GAME MOVES AT A SNAIL'S PACE due to tending to the needs of the little tyke, the continual transformation from "wolf" to "human" (requiring constant searching for and charging crystals) and tedious searching for items to formulate medicines.

EXTRA GOODIES: There is a strategy guide and you receive the MAP at the beginning of the game.

COMMENTS: I HAD TO FORCE MYSELF TO FINISH THE DEMO. IT IS A TEDIOUS GAME LACKING CUSTOMIZATION, INTERACTIVE INVENTORY AND THE QUALITY OF A CE GAME

I AM AWAITING THE DAY WHEN THE "HELPER FAD" FADES. I RATE THIS GAME 3 YAWNING WOLVES OUT OF 5 YAWNING WOLVES. A BROOM AWAITS ME FOR MORE AWESOME EXCITEMENT THAN THIS GAME! SO BORING! I ALMOST WENT BACK TO SLEEP..

JUDGE FOR YOURSELF. I BET SOME OF YOU WILL JUST LOVE BABYSITTING MIRA! LOL

Edited on 10/21/2014 at 5:44:16 PM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Oct 18, 14 6:36 AM
'Morning Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Echoes of the Past: Wolf Healer Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Echoes of the Past: Wolf Healer Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:08:34 AM PST

Gala_Day
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Gala_Day on Oct 18, 14 7:35 AM
I would have to agree with sunnyglow's comprehensive review. To be fair I did enjoy the HO scenes which were different. The mini-games were nothing new and a couple of them tedious slider type games. I don't like these and to make matters even more dull, the skip button fills very slowly. In general this game is very slow and I couldn't wait for the demo to finish. No buy for me, even with the CE special deal.

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 7:37:07 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 18, 14 7:46 AM
I agree with this game being boring. Some of the puzzles were either hard or very easy. The storybook ones were super easy as they gave you the pieces instead of having to find them and it was no strain to figure out where they went.

I like everything at the top and was glad to see that the inventory bar was locked. The map was very useful as you could jump with it and it did show available actions (well at least in the casual mode). It would have been a better game if there were interactive items in the inventory bar.

There was no eyestrain on the HOGs and the items were cleverly hidden.

The cursor, while it was a nice size, did drag quite a bit. The slide-the-bars puzzle to uncover the item was very sluggish while trying to move the pieces. Not an enjoyable experience.

The helper Mina was really quite whiny while trying to find an outfit for her. Quite honestly I couldn't figure out the purpose of trying on several outfits before she settled on one. The devs could have done a better job on this by making it into a puzzle. Since they didn't they should have just left it at finding an outfit in the chest after it was unlocked.

Not much in the extras either to get excited about. No wallpapers which means a no buy as a CE for me. I may purchase it though when it comes out as a SE.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 18, 14 8:23 AM
I played part of the demo starting at ten minutes past midnight. By 12:30 I was ready to leave my review and shut it down but there was no forum and I didn't know how to start one.

I wanted to love this game. I love wolves even if they have the reputation for being vicious creatures when in reality they are not. I was excited about actually playing a wolf. I thought here's something new - the storyline is familiar but here is a twist and what a twist!

I will admit that starting a game with two puzzles in a row after the cutscene, the first one being a slider (which I loathe) and a skip button that takes a whopping 1 minute 40 seconds on the easiest mode (no custom mode here) to fill did not bode well.

I also had a problem with the lack of lip movements. I thought maybe these people were communicating psychically but I didn't see any explanation and I heard the dialogue. I don't think I've ever run across that before in a game with such good graphics. It bothered me and it bothered more and more as the demo went on.

The dialogue right from the beginning is painfully slow and it cannot be clicked through. You either wait or you skip it all.

Then came the lack of logic. Well, I'm a wolf. That means I don't have an opposable thumb. So how come I can pick up all these items, carry them, and use keys and gems and things? I know wolves can pick things up with their mouths but they lack the dexterity to use the items here.

The girl says that she is too heavy for a wolf to carry while the printed dialogue says she is NOT too heavy for a wolf to carry. Say what?

I found the puzzle instructions to be confusing and frustrating.

There was a serious lag problem.

Movements were sometimes extremely sluggish and difficult, especially in the slider puzzle.

The music was nondescript. It didn't "fit".

If I had been able to reduce the charge time for the skip button I would not have been nearly as frustrated as I was. I don't see any reason for such a long charge time. I'm not good at puzzles, especially sliders (I know there's a trick but I don't know what it is). I felt like I was being punished in a game I might actually buy. Why would I buy it?

==>Continued<==

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 8:54:40 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 18, 14 8:42 AM
==>Continued<==

There is a strategy guide. The printing is too small for these tired eyes.

Oh how I wanted to love this game! But I felt so frustrated right from the start and it didn't get better. Finally I couldn't stand it any more.

Sometimes I play the game as an SE and I change my mind. I will try again when the SE is released.

I hope there are fishies who love this game and have a blast playing it. But this Canis lupus will be passing this game by and returning to her den to sleep.

Happy gaming!!

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 8:58:42 AM PST

pasthymes1
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by pasthymes1 on Oct 18, 14 8:58 AM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:11:18 PM PST

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Oct 18, 14 9:37 AM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:18:15 PM PST

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Oct 18, 14 10:20 AM
I would have bought this game if it was a HO game and not a puzzle or mini-game.. It was tiring to switch identities all the time. I am a HO fan and not a puzzle game. Sorry. Not a buy for me.

pasthymes1
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by pasthymes1 on Oct 18, 14 10:21 AM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:11:51 PM PST

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Oct 18, 14 2:14 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:19:23 PM PST

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Oct 18, 14 3:43 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:20:27 PM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Oct 18, 14 4:26 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:22:01 PM PST

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Oct 18, 14 4:44 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:23:41 PM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Oct 18, 14 5:13 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:22:27 PM PST

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 18, 14 8:13 PM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:25:31 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 18, 14 9:36 PM
Hi all. Well, another edition to the Echoes series. I must say that this one was a disappointment over the others. The story was different, but moved slowly. Not much dialog and few sound FX. Graphics were nice, but animation was very simple and somewhat cartoon like. Very little music. Jump map was very helpful and areas were well identified with objectives.

HOPs were different and fun, fairly clean and clear, but some items were a little small. Still, I didn't have any problems with eye strain. Puzzles were mostly too simple. The stage puzzles were just too simple even for an extreme beginner. A couple took a little time, but on the whole, too easy. One puzzle I truly don't like is anything to do with the Zodiac. I know my sign, but I don't memorize all of the others, so this one is always a skip for me. Hint system is helpful and fills at the usual rate. Skip fills extremely slowly.

The only collectibles I found are the glass globes, which are not difficult to find. Didn't see anything else, but I could have missed something.

You did have a lot of back-tracking, but you also had a lot of things to do in each location, so you were constantly on the move. This game was very simple, no challenge at all and got a bit boring very quickly. Nothing about this game really excited me enough to purchase the CE version, but as I have said before, I often change my mind when the SE comes out and I have the opportunity to give it another chance. I doubt that I will purchase the CE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 19, 14 2:37 AM
Well obviously I'm in the minority here but I liked this game. And contrary to what some have said, there are not 2 helpers. The main character can transform into a wolf; the paw simply shows whether he's human or wolf. It's the bracelet that does the transforming; that's not a 'helper'. As for Mira, she is looking for her father and often runs off during the game, so she's not much help then. And I don't recall 'babysitting' her at any point; she does have powers and helps occasionally but it's not over used. Yes you have to get her a new outfit and I agree that was overdone but it only happened once as far as I got through the game, which was a fair way.

The graphics are really nice, the HOS are very varied and interesting, the puzzles whilst fairly easy are well done and I love the whole 'transform into a wolf' idea. If you have to suspend belief as far as what a wolf can and can't do, it is a game, not real life.

I bought it and am enjoying it.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 1:49:16 AM PST

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Oct 19, 14 6:38 AM

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:24:23 PM PST

Go to: