"cutesy" again?!?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

"cutesy" again?!?

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 18, 14 9:33 AM
I really, really hope that devs soon catch on to the fact that adult men like to play these games, too, and are not interested in dressing up, babysitting, etc. their helpers. Especially obnoxious ones like this game has.

So sick of this concept!

For those that think the helpers are "adorable", or "don't mind" them, enjoy the game. But there just has to be more to the future of gaming than these "helpers" getting in the way of decent gameplay ---- the helpers are obnoxious, pandering, childish, and repetitious as the devs all strive to see who can come up with the "cutest" one. Sad, very sad, IMO.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:"cutesy" again?!?

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 18, 14 9:57 AM
I played an hour of the demo, and didn't get to "dress-up." That alone would keep me, a grown woman, from buying the game!

Did you see the new Dark Dimensions (survey/beta)? A Siberian husky "helper" with his very own room! You can purchase him lots of items to decorate the room, including the lowest priced item, a stereo system! It is fun to watch him hang on the end of the cursor, running and running to nowhere!

I will back you up when you get blasted for your
"... obnoxious, pandering, childish..." comment! It does indeed seem like a "cutest" helper contest.

feegee
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by feegee on Oct 18, 14 11:10 AM
Last time I agreed with the over used and simply "played out" usage of these "adorable" helpers, I was accused of being quite the athlete....As it seems to me that "band wagon" jumping would require hella athleticism, flexibility and skill.

Thank heavens I remained in shape as I agree with you 100%.....But with this Echoes HOPA, for whatever reason, the DEVS went so FAR ABOVE and BEYOND reason with the "dress your helper" nonsense, it made the game aggravating and utterly silly!

Hopefully the DEVS will understand that there are times when Enough is really ENOUGH. .

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 18, 14 11:17 AM
feegee wrote:Last time I agreed with the over used and simply "played out" usage of these "adorable" helpers, I was accused of being quite the athlete....As it seems to me that "band wagon" jumping would require hella athleticism, flexibility and skill.

Thank heavens I remained in shape as I agree with you 100%.....But with this Echoes HOPA, for whatever reason, the DEVS went so FAR ABOVE and BEYOND reason with the "dress your helper" nonsense, it made the game aggravating and utterly silly!

Hopefully the DEVS will understand that there are times when Enough is really ENOUGH. .

Now I just have to play more of the demo to find out how bad the dress-up gets!

I added that because I have no idea what it is supposed to be! A "g" is what, a Guinea pig? Groundhog? Gopher? Whatever it is, I like it's crabby face!

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 11:17:55 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 18, 14 5:01 PM
BTW, ever notice how on the game page there is almost never any mention of, or a screenshot of, or a video of any of the helpers? In the past, perhaps, but no more ---- leads me to believe that BF knows very well the growing unpopularity of the "cutesy" elements.

"cutesy" again?!?

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 19, 14 12:05 AM
cbtx wrote:I really, really hope that devs soon catch on to the fact that adult men like to play these games, too, and are not interested in dressing up, babysitting, etc. their helpers. Especially obnoxious ones like this game has.

So sick of this concept!

For those that think the helpers are "adorable", or "don't mind" them, enjoy the game. But there just has to be more to the future of gaming than these "helpers" getting in the way of decent gameplay ---- the helpers are obnoxious, pandering, childish, and repetitious as the devs all strive to see who can come up with the "cutest" one. Sad, very sad, IMO.
Did you play the demo???
There are no animal helpers. You don't need to dressing up or babysitting. The only thing is that you give the little girl a new outfit.

I really don't understand what people talking about animal helpers.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 19, 14 12:32 AM
I didn't say animal helpers ---- I said "helpers", or whatever cutesy gimmick the devs are trying to convince us is precious and adorable ---- and worse, has value, and actually adds to, the game. These helpers add nothing of any importance whatsoever to the story or gameplay, and are there for the "Awwww" factor, and that's a presumptuous posture for devs to foist on their potential customers. If some of the games had helpers who actually had a function, then fine. But the trend is toward "me too-ism" by the devs as they all roll out their latest attempt at cutesy helpers.

These childish devices add nothing, and serve only as filler and fluff, and, for me, distract from the game to the point that I will not even consider using an expiring pcc to own such silliness.

Mira, in the game, is indeed a "helper". And must be dressed and babysat ---- the height of absurdity for adult gamers, IMO. I don't play games to dress or babysit characters.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 19, 14 2:17 AM
Mira's clothes get dirty, so she needs clean ones. You give her 3 outfits which I agree was a bit unnecessary but that happened once in the game as far as I have got through it, which is a fair way. I don't recall ever having to 'babysit' her; in fact she has a habit of running off after her father and doesn't appear at all in large parts of the game. As for 'helping', she does occasionally but not often.

There have been child helpers in many games; 'Paranormal Pursuit' springs to mind as an example. Why pick on this particular game? Mira has powers and does perform a function. She's not just there to be ''cute'.

Edited on 10/19/2014 at 2:17:51 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 19, 14 2:40 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Mira's clothes get dirty, so she needs clean ones. You give her 3 outfits which I agree was a bit unnecessary but that happened once in the game as far as I have got through it, which is a fair way. I don't recall ever having to 'babysit' her; in fact she has a habit of running off after her father and doesn't appear at all in large parts of the game. As for 'helping', she does occasionally but not often.

There have been child helpers in many games; 'Paranormal Pursuit' springs to mind as an example. Why pick on this particular game? Mira has powers and does perform a function. She's not just there to be ''cute'.

It's not just this game, although I will say that I seldom find very much original material from this dev. So it's not too surprising that they will be in the "me too" cutesy line.
But, the fact is that I don't believe there are many adult males that want to "outfit" a game character, even once. And I sure don't look at the character and go "Awwww". I think that the concept of helpers has just gone too far, and it has become a distraction and an annoyance that is ruining these games. The helpers are pointless, silly, and childish. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Oct 19, 14 8:07 AM
I don't imagine these sort of games are aimed at adult men.

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Oct 19, 14 8:09 AM
There is a difference between a "helper" in a game and a "helpful character". A helper is an adjunct character that the story can do without. A helpful character is an integral part of the story. Mira isn't a "helper" she is a “helpful character”.

You, as protagonist in the game, are tasked with protecting Mira and helping her get her father and the other healers back from the bad guys. Her inclusion is what prompts the protagonist to take certain actions and to move the game and story forward.

Granted Mira tries to help the protagonist, but so does her father Sirius. Sirius has left helpful notes through the workrooms for the protagonist to find. But, here again, Sirius is a helpful character, not a helper. If we remove all the helpful characters from a game we are left with the protagonist against the bad guys with no story, no background, no clues as to what action to take, no reason to fight the bad guys and no reason to play the game.

My personal opinion? I didn’t like the Mira character. She is supposed to be ready to take on the tasks of a full-fledged healer but she is too immature and too bumbling for that role. I would have preferred a more mature helpful character in her place. But, someone needs to fill that role, within the context of the storyline. Unlike a “helper” you can’t just cut out the Mira character and not provide a replacement.

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Oct 19, 14 8:12 AM
CBTX, I am a grown women and I am tired of the "cutesy little helpers" too!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 19, 14 11:34 AM
jerseyd1 wrote:I don't imagine these sort of games are aimed at adult men.

Well, that's the point. Before the "cutesy helper" rage, the casual HOGs seemed to be games that could be enjoyed by all, even though the primary audience seemed to be females of a certain age. But with these "cutesy helpers", the devs are driving away the adult men of a certain age. It seems to me the smartest business ploy would to be as inclusive as possible, not less.

BTW, "helper"/"helpful character" ---- equal in my estimation, both are silly, both are insulting, both are developed for the 'Awwww" factor, and both render the game a NO BUY.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 19, 14 2:49 PM

Maybe I have a strange sense of humor. I thought it was funny when Mira fell on her face in the mud. Then she says something odd, "oops that was awkward."

When she wanted to get changed I was like, "Why? What's a little mud, keep moving girl!"

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Oct 19, 14 4:30 PM
Some helpers in games have indeed been irritating to say the least. But to me Mira doesn't fit into that category. She is part of the story, and instead of having to go 'look' for items she has them already. This happens a couple of times.
So like dobbiemijnboekje it's beyond me why this thread even exists .

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 19, 14 5:00 PM
For years, these types of games have used helpers in the form of hints so it's not necessarily a new phenomenon. Having a helper get you inventory items is not new but it's certainly become more and more used.

These games require the player to completely suspend belief. You, as the character, steal everything that isn't nailed down and walk around with a ridiculous amount of items (my favourite is still Dire Grove where you walked around with a mattress). But I think having a helper is a slightly lazy approach by the developer. They can give up trying to put the items the character needs in reachable areas and instead put things in chimneys or under gates or whatever is in the scene and the helper can get it.

Will I not play a game because of a helper? Depends on the helper but it's definitely not a dealbreaker. And based on all the definitions of "helper" in this game's forum, players should disregard reviews and comments and just try the games for themselves.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 19, 14 5:01 PM
steve_san wrote:Maybe I have a strange sense of humor. I thought it was funny when Mira fell on her face in the mud.

That would have made me laugh, too.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 19, 14 5:25 PM
I have returned and noticed that there is a discussion on the use of helpers. Good job and thanks to all of you who hate these as much as I do.

Hey guess what? Mom and I have been using this site for 7 years and believe me, the concept of HELPERS is new. This birdbrained idea was probably hatched by BF themselves or by one of the devs (and I know who it is - the same dev who likes a menagerie of animals).

Hey - BF- why don't you listen to your steady customers? If even one-third of your players DO NOT LIKE THEM -doesn't it make sense to get rid of them? Huh? Or is this someone trying to prove a point? Also, I have noticed the 4 stars for this game. From what I am observing - most do not like this game. Hiding some of the negative reviews, BF?

My advice (and what do I know being a "youngin") is to NOT PURCHASE the games with helpers. If BF's revenue from games starts to go down, they will eventually get the devs to eliminate them. Hate the helpers and hated this game.

The quality of games is going down, down down from what it was a few years ago. Hey - BF - if it wasn't broken - why are you trying to fix it?

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 19, 14 7:43 PM
I've been on this site forever, helpers aren't new. For years they've been used to give hints. Awakenings and Mystery Trackers has been using helpers for awhile now to gather inventory items and move the game along.

Only a small fraction of Big Fish customers use the forums so 8 people complaining isn't enough for them to stop everything and start telling developers what to do. They look at sales. People are obviously buying them.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 19, 14 8:32 PM
I agree with Tauret and Brendansoma1. In playing the demo, I found Mira to be a helpful character, albeit not very often. Dressing her should have taken fewer tries, but doing so was not that big of a deal.

Overall, the demo wasn't that bad. My only con was that there were too many "put the pieces where they belong in the scene" puzzles.

Go to: