bfgBering
Clownfish
Clownfish
851 Posts

Tips and Tricks for The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons

[Post New]by bfgBering on Apr 7, 09 9:01 AM
Check Both Ends – You can move a line of eggs left or right, but they will always stay in the same order. See what matches are available on both ends before making a move. Once you’ve reached the end you won’t be able to push the line any further.

Blue Light Special – There are good and evil forces working against each other in the game. The hourglass on the left side of the screen has a red side and a blue side. When the red side is filled bad things will happen to the game board making it harder to beat a level. When the blue side fills up, you can click on it to release the powers of good to undo some of these bad effects on the game board.

Check the Edges – In the puzzle picture mini game at the end of each level you can see the edges of a picture because they are singed. Use this to figure out which pieces go in the corner and then build a frame from there. This makes these mini games go much quicker!

These are just a few ideas to help you if you get stuck in The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons. Feel free to add your own!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Tips and Tricks for The Book of Wanderer: The Story of Dragons

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 7, 09 2:37 PM
Some tricks I've learned (no spoilers, don't worry):

1. Don't use the blue light until it is fully charged. If you are well into the game, where it is pretty hard, try one of the spells first, then use the blue light to clear the board all the way. For example, if you have a lot of petrified blue eggs, first remove all blue eggs, then use the blue light. Removing a lot of the bad stuff is always better than just removing a little. (See item 5 to understand why.)

2. The second (white, I think) spell bottle produces a clear board and a shuffle. Be careful: It removes your magic eggs as well as the bad spells. Use it wisely. If you can use other means to first explode your best magic eggs, and then shuffle, you will come out ahead.

3. Remember that all eggs move in four directions. If one move is blocked by petrified eggs or those nasty sticky threads, another direction may well work. Don't forget to try.

4. Learn which colors of eggs are the most problematic when the bad spells hit (I won't give that one away, but you'll figure it out), and save your "remove all of one color of egg" spell (the first one on the left) for those colors if you can.

5. This one may seem obvious, but it took me a while to learn: When your board is clear (no or few bad spells), make all the magic eggs you can (match 4 or more). Leave them there for the "bad times." A few exploding eggs can clean up your board quite nicely. Saves your spells for later.

I posted these hints because I think the game is sufficiently unapproachable at the beginning that people may give up and think it uninteresting, which it definitely is not.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Apr 8, 09 12:28 AM
I'd enjoy this game more if there was an easily accessible 'Help' function from the main screen, reminding you what all the magic eggs do, and what all the spells are for. Even with hints turned on, the explanations are only minimal, and unless I'm missing something there's no indication of what the spells do; are you just expected to work it out for yourself? OK, the first one removes all eggs of the same colour from the scrren, and the second clears the board, but what exactly does the third one do? It all happens so quickly I haven't figured it out yet.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 8, 09 7:49 AM
Hi LilyCat! The third spell will clear a small area of the board. While the second spell takes away all your magic eggs along with the bad spells, the third spell explodes them so you get their benefit.

One of the nice things about this game is that there is no timer, so you can take as much time as you like for each move and learn how each item works. The game only moves forward when you make a move.

Go to: