bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 20, 14 12:29 AM
Letter Quest is a turn-based RPG where players attack monsters by spelling words. But be careful, the monsters can fight back by creating different letter tiles such as poison, plague, stone, and whirlwind. They can even steal your health, heal themselves, use critical attacks and much, much more!

Help the adorable grim reapers Grimm and Rose defeat monsters, ghosts, evil bunnies and more using the power of words! Explore five areas, each equipped with unique art and music tracks. Don’t forget to upgrade your books, potions, special items and weapons to aid you on your journey.

Can you defeat all of the monsters that stand in your path?

fei1jao
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Totally confused, no instructions

[Post New]by fei1jao on Oct 20, 14 3:22 PM
I am so confused. I have played awhile and still cannot figure out how to play. There are no instructions. I have made lots of words but I get no score. Can someone tell me what the trick to this game is? I love word games but this one totally baffles me. Thanks for your time, MM

raindear82
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey

[Post New]by raindear82 on Oct 21, 14 2:39 PM
I am also having trouble figuring the scoring system, but the letters in the box have bronze, silver and gold buttons on them. I figure the golds have the best score, silver next and bronze least score. Also, if you watch the last screen, the best scoring word and its score are shown. Maybe that will help.

Totally confused, no instructions

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 22, 14 7:05 AM
fei1jao wrote:I am so confused. I have played awhile and still cannot figure out how to play. There are no instructions. I have made lots of words but I get no score. Can someone tell me what the trick to this game is? I love word games but this one totally baffles me. Thanks for your time, MM

Hi, I'm one of the two developers of Letter Quest (we're a very small company!).

I'm sorry to hear that you are confused about the game. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you cannot figure out how to play? The basic gameplay is that you go into battles against monsters, and spell words to damage them. Every time you spell a word, the monster you are fighting gets a "turn", where they might attack, or create different tile types, heal themselves, etc. If you defeat all of the monsters, you will reach the end of the stage. Then you can play stages in different ways (one way to play each stage per star).

Whenever you spell a word, the damage it will do to the monster is based on the length of the word that you spell (more letters means more damage) and the rarity of the letters that you use. There is a small rarity indicator at the bottom-right of each letter, with gold being the most rare/most damage, and bronze being the most common/least damage.

Whenever you defeat a monster, earn a star, and spell a word while at a pile of gems (at the end of each stage), you earn gems. Gems can be used to purchase items, upgrades, books, and much more at the shop. More shops unlock as you play.

There are instructions in the game in the form of many little tutorials that show as you play. They should explain all of the basics of the gameplay.

Also, in case anyone wasn't aware, you can actually type out words with the keyboard if you'd like, instead of using the mouse.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers!

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Oct 24, 14 5:18 AM
I'm having a blast with this game and enjoying switching between Grimm and Rose to battle monsters.

I've been working my way through the levels, leaving the Crystal Star one for when I got a bit stronger and working on what I feel are the most critical upgrades first.

The only complaint I have is that it does take a while to get gems, especially when you need a higher level upgrade, but it's just making me hit more levels or go back and redo lower levels again, so I guess it works out.

I also love that if you lose a level and hit retry, the monsters are the same, but any treasure chest puzzles (the 'hangman' type ones) are different. That and the fact that the tiles are randomly generated means I'll be able to replay this again and again.

Thanks for a fun game that also makes you have to think a bit to win.

[Post New]by crimebuff on Oct 27, 14 7:17 AM
First, thanks for the info. I think the problem is that you young,smart techie guys probably grew up with games of such types; ie, where your avatar loses or gains energy, where you buy upgrades, use potions, etc. I'm 75. SO ...... pretty computer savvy, but not game savvy. The part I find confusing is not understanding the concept of the game (which has been answered beautifully) but understanding HOW you buy things (yes, a little box comes up offering an upgrade. I click on the "store" and even click on the item that's flashing or highlightes, but I never notice that I've actually bought it or how to use it. Another thing, info came up stating that poison tiles are best left alone; but when I look at my scoring stats, there's a category for how often I've used poison tiles, etc. Or am I totally confused. If you could write just one more post explaining the "how to" of the game instead of the concept of the game which you already posted, I would be very grateful. Thanks so much.

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 27, 14 10:45 AM
Demiguise wrote:I'm having a blast with this game and enjoying switching between Grimm and Rose to battle monsters.

I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying Letter Quest!

Demiguise wrote:
The only complaint I have is that it does take a while to get gems, especially when you need a higher level upgrade, but it's just making me hit more levels or go back and redo lower levels again, so I guess it works out.

This was a very difficult balancing issue on the design side of things. I added in the substantial upgrade system so that players could control the difficulty of the game themselves. The issue is that I wanted the game to be accessible/playable by people that are not very proficient with English, or are just learning English. So the way it's currently set up, those players can play more so that they can buy more upgrades and can then get by with 3 or 4 letter words in most cases. For other players that are spelling 7, 8, 9, 10 or more letter-words, they won't need to buy as many upgrades and probably will never have to replay any levels.

In fact, many players that are very skilled with the English language have written me asking for a harder version of the game, and so (mild spoiler alert here........)

When you complete the game, a much more difficult "expert mode" is unlocked. In expert mode, the monsters are much more difficult, there are more upgrade levels available, challenges have been tweaked, and several other little changes have been made.

Certainly finding that "just right" balance is incredibly tricky in a game like this. Imagine a turn-based RPG like an old Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior/Quest game - when your character is just starting out, they can choose to "attack", and might do maybe 3-4 points of damage. So the game designer can balance out early monsters to have maybe 8-10 hit points/health, so they know it will take around 3 attacks to defeat the monster. In Letter Quest, however, a player that is just starting out might be able to do 20 damage with a 3-letter word using only bronze (common) letters. However, another starting player that is really good might spell a 10 letter word and do 50+ damage. It's really tricky (if not impossible) to balance the game for both players.

Hopefully that made sense!

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 27, 14 10:54 AM
crimebuff wrote:First, thanks for the info. I think the problem is that you young,smart techie guys probably grew up with games of such types; ie, where your avatar loses or gains energy, where you buy upgrades, use potions, etc. I'm 75. SO ...... pretty computer savvy, but not game savvy. The part I find confusing is not understanding the concept of the game (which has been answered beautifully) but understanding HOW you buy things (yes, a little box comes up offering an upgrade. I click on the "store" and even click on the item that's flashing or highlightes, but I never notice that I've actually bought it or how to use it. Another thing, info came up stating that poison tiles are best left alone; but when I look at my scoring stats, there's a category for how often I've used poison tiles, etc. Or am I totally confused. If you could write just one more post explaining the "how to" of the game instead of the concept of the game which you already posted, I would be very grateful. Thanks so much.

I'm quite sure that you are correct, the generation of people that are growing up with videogames now have a very good understanding of most game mechanics from a very young age.

I'll try to offer an explanation of what you can buy in the game and how it works:

1. some levels contain a merchant in the actual level. This the old man that has a big bag of goodies behind him. He offers four items. The first three items are small boosts that each last for one turn/one word for each one that you buy. One of them is a shield, it reduces the amount of damage you take for one turn (from one monster attack). Another is a damage upgrade, where your next word will do more damage. The third is one that restores some of your health based on the damage of the word that you spell (for example, if you did 20 damage, you would receive 10 health because it is a 50% bonus). The final item is meat, and it instantly restores 10% of your max health (if your max is 200, you would get back 20 health for each one that you buy).

2. Then there is the main store, this is the one you can get to while on the map or battle results screen by clicking the "STORE" button. There are several stores (more unlock as you play).

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 27, 14 11:03 AM
*** continued ***

a. The first is the upgrade store. These are permanent upgrades - once you buy one, it applies to your character forever. To purchase one, click on it so that it's selected, and it will show info about it at the bottom of the screen. To purchase it, click the BUY button at the bottom-right of the screen. You will see a small progress bar just above the item's cost go up by one square. It will also update the description at the bottom to tell you the current effect for that upgrade type.

b. The second is the book store. You can purchase books just like upgrades, however you can have up to 3 books equipped at one time. Only books which are equipped (shown in the 3 "equipped" slots to the left of the worm shopkeeper) have any effect/apply their bonus to your character. Books will level up by gaining book xp, which you get from defeating monsters and is awarded after each stage that you play. Or you can pay gems to upgrade your books right away.

c. The third is the potion store. These are single-use potions that can be used in battle. The first potion is a health potion, it restores some of your health. The second is a purify potion that converts "bad" tiles (poison, plague, etc.) to normal tiles. They can be used via the potion buttons at the bottom-left of the screen during battle.

d. The fourth is the special store. These are items that, once purchased, apply to your character forever (like upgrades, but there is only "one" of each special item that can be purchased).

e. The fifth is the heroes store. Currently there are 2, Grimm (unlocked from the beginning) and Rose (unlocked after earning a certain number of stars). You can select a different character in this store once they are unlocked, and they look different and have different stats.

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 27, 14 11:07 AM
*** continued ***

f. The sixth is the weapons store. Weapons are unlocked by accomplishing certain conditions (which can be viewed by selecting a weapon, then looking in the bottom-right of the store details panel at the bottom). Once unlocked, a weapon can be equipped. Each weapon has a unique bonus effect that applies to your character while that weapon is equipped. Weapons can be upgraded by paying gems to enhance/strengthen their bonus effect.

g. The final store is the tile store. These are purely visual/cosmetic changes to your letter tiles. They are unlocked by accomplishing certain conditions, just like weapons. You can equip one tile look at a time. They have no unique bonuses.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Go to: