Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Letter Quest: Remastered here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 20, 14 1:59 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/02/2015 at 5:07:02 PM PST

Sadeyed
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey here.

[Post New]by Sadeyed on Oct 20, 14 4:42 AM
I usually love word games, so was pleased to see one for a change. Unfortunately I soon got bored.

Game tries to be like Bookworm but doesn't make it.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 20, 14 5:28 AM
Good morning fishies!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:22:12 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Oct 20, 14 6:40 AM
This is a really cute little game. The objective is to defeat enemies by spelling words using the provided letters. The better the word the more you damage the enemies. Be warned they damage you back so you can't get by with just using short words.

There are different stages to each level, the stars are for the stages not for achievements. The first is to pass the level, the second as far as I've played is timed, the third the monsters have special challenges for example you can only use certain letters or certain size words to defeat them. The fourth stage you'd have to come back and play after using some upgrades.

There are a variety of upgrades and spells and you need those. Especially spells that add health to you as the monsters are not that easy to defeat. This adds a different dimension to the game so you have some strategy in defeating the monsters other than just making words.

I did at first think this game would be for children but found myself challenged by it very quickly. Especially the timed levels, if you choose to play them, requires you to be quick on making words. I did find the game to be fun and challenging.

Disclaimer: Although I'm fluent in English, it isn't my first language. Someone who has a more advanced command of English might find that this game is too juvenile for them. I tried to see if the game was using American or British spelling but I couldn't tell as the letters were never there for me to test this.

kimberelf
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by kimberelf on Oct 20, 14 7:10 AM
Janette5 wrote:Disclaimer: Although I'm fluent in English, it isn't my first language. Someone who has a more advanced command of English might find that this game is too juvenile for them. I tried to see if the game was using American or British spelling but I couldn't tell as the letters were never there for me to test this.

I did discover that the american spellings were used in many words (favor as opposed to favour, etc.)
Hope that helps for those of us who are not american

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 20, 14 8:22 AM
I like word games and I am enjoying this one. But sometimes a tip or something, I don't know what, shows up but disappears so quickly that I can't read it. I think it's probably important and I can't find a way to get it back so this game is a no-buy for me and that is a shame because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. I love Boggle and I went through about five of the little hand-held ones before they upped the price from $7 to $70.

Maybe it's a glitch so I'm going to report it in the tech issues thread. If there is a fix I will purchase this game. If not, no.

I am finding all the instructions and tips thrown at me to be a bit confusing but they would probably become more clear as the game progresses.

Edit: I haven't been able to find out if the game accepts rarely-used and little-known words. If it doesn't, that is another problem.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 9:03:27 AM PST

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Oct 20, 14 5:59 PM
This was a 'Definite' buy for me!

The trial hour went by so fast I couldn't believe my time was up.

It's fun trying to think of words that will utilize the higher point letters and get your score up there.

I think that those 'little blurbs' that a former poster was referring to are messages that pop up on the top of the screen when one of your words goes towards an achievement.

I'm NOT absolutely sure of this....but I do know that I did win some!

Happy Gaming, everyone!

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Oct 20, 14 6:08 PM
I like this game - I bought it within 20 minutes of the demo.
Nothing but good stuff to say. Its got a lot to it, which is important to me, and hopefully the game will last for a decent length of time, which I think it will.

Editing a week or two later: So I have played the game here & there and I still enjoy it. Only I was surprised to see that it ENDED far sooner than I would've expected.
I prefer all of my games to have at least several hours of play in them and this did not last me long, as far as playing from beginning to end.
Of course I could go back & tweak my scores and all that.

Still, this was very enjoyable and just.... a good game overall.

Edited on 10/29/2014 at 10:57:22 PM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Oct 21, 14 12:09 AM
This game starts out pretty good, but later on you get inundated with squares you can't use to the point of absurdity. It kind of ruined the game for me I did like it in the first third of the game. I bought it before I knew this, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have if I had known.

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 22, 14 7:08 AM
Hi, I'm one of the two developers of Letter Quest. I'll do my best to address any issues/concerns that anyone has with Letter Quest, and will try to answer any questions that come up.

kimberelf wrote:
Janette5 wrote:Disclaimer: Although I'm fluent in English, it isn't my first language. Someone who has a more advanced command of English might find that this game is too juvenile for them. I tried to see if the game was using American or British spelling but I couldn't tell as the letters were never there for me to test this.

I did discover that the american spellings were used in many words (favor as opposed to favour, etc.)
Hope that helps for those of us who are not american

Both spellings of words should work, ie: "favor" and "favour" are both acceptable.

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 22, 14 7:12 AM
Jurinne wrote:I like word games and I am enjoying this one. But sometimes a tip or something, I don't know what, shows up but disappears so quickly that I can't read it. I think it's probably important and I can't find a way to get it back so this game is a no-buy for me and that is a shame because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. I love Boggle and I went through about five of the little hand-held ones before they upped the price from $7 to $70.

Maybe it's a glitch so I'm going to report it in the tech issues thread. If there is a fix I will purchase this game. If not, no.

I am finding all the instructions and tips thrown at me to be a bit confusing but they would probably become more clear as the game progresses.

Edit: I haven't been able to find out if the game accepts rarely-used and little-known words. If it doesn't, that is another problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by the tips that show up. Are they at the bottom of the screen whenever you go into a battle? If so, those are just little tips written on the loading screens to give you something to read while the stage loads - they aren't critical/super-important to the gameplay.

There is quite a bit to the game. If you're ever confused/need help during a battle, try clicking the question mark at the bottom of the screen, to the right of the letter tile board - it will bring up a blue question mark button over top of anything that has help available, and you can then click those question marks to get help with most common game elements/buttons. I hope that helps you out.

As for accepting rarely-used words - the game's dictionary is now at over 190,000 words, which is more than the entire Oxford Dictionary. There are also lots of little "secret" words that are accepted. Please let me know if any words aren't accepted/working that you think should work.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Oct 22, 14 4:26 PM
what do the different coloured balls on the letters mean?
what instructions?? they seem to just fly by ... I am NOT a speedy reader so I am missing any 'clues and/or hints' that may show up.
I too love boggle and this game has many, many words.
I am trying to get six letter words only... but I am unsure how this game is scored.
one section I only got two words and was "passed" to the next level, and on another I had to make SIX before I was moved on.
There does not seem to be much logic and complete set of rules would be appreciated.
ps. I DO this word game

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 22, 14 7:22 PM
Larissa_Jane wrote:what do the different coloured balls on the letters mean?
what instructions?? they seem to just fly by ... I am NOT a speedy reader so I am missing any 'clues and/or hints' that may show up.
I too love boggle and this game has many, many words.
I am trying to get six letter words only... but I am unsure how this game is scored.
one section I only got two words and was "passed" to the next level, and on another I had to make SIX before I was moved on.
There does not seem to be much logic and complete set of rules would be appreciated.
ps. I DO this word game

The different colored icons on the bottom-right of each letter indicate the letter's rarity/strength. Gold is the most rare, does the most damage to a monster when used in a word. Bronze is the least rare, does the least damage to a monster when used in a word.

The instructions are the actual popups that show Grimm, some text that should help you out/explain things, and has a "GOT IT!" button on them. If you somehow missed them, you can always start a new game on a new save file (the first thing you're presented with after you push PLAY on the title screen) and it will show you the instructions again.

The core of the game is that you spell words to do damage to monsters. Using more rare letters (gold and silver instead of bronze) means the word will do more damage. Also making longer words will do more damage than shorter words. There is a red progress bar above each monster you fight, and you'll notice that it goes down when you spell words. When that bar is empty, the monster is defeated and you can fight another monster.

Words can be 3 or more letters long, unless you're doing a special challenge which has unique limitations/requirements.

There is actually a lot to the game, and it gets a bit more complex as you get further in the game, but you can't go wrong if you just remember 2 things:
1. Spell words to attack monsters.
2. If you find yourself confused, click the "?" button to the right of the letter tiles in battle, at the bottom of the screen, which will bring up a help system.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game!

More difficult monsters will require more words/longer words to defeat.

torqane
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by torqane on Oct 24, 14 2:58 PM
First of all, thanks to the devs for spending the time here. That's a big help and "feels good" to the people spending the money.

Secondly, I have to say that although it's a bit counterintuitive at first, the help system is excellent. I had questions about the different colored crystal tiles, and was looking for some sort of help index to tell me what the 5 different ones were and what they did (and there isn't one). But I was playing and had an orange tile, clicked the big help question mark to bring up what I'd have to call context-sensitive help, and lo and behold there was a separate question mark over the orange tile, with an explanation of what exactly that tile was going to do. There are a lot of those that appear at different times only when the item or subject is visible.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but even information about when you're about to demolish a pile of gems, that a higher-scoring word there will give you more from the gem pile, was something I was wanting to know. Once the gem pile was on the screen, that question mark appeared as well when in help mode.

So I'd say to people who are having a bit of trouble with the specifics, don't be shy--hit that big question mark once in a while and just click on all the various question marks that show up and see what they have to tell you.

Now, would it be good to have a single all-encompassing help panel you could bring up from perhaps the Options screen? Yes, I think so. I like to read through things like that up front because I read fast and comprehend fairly well, and then could reference the context-sensitive bit when I needed to but would feel more at home right off the bat. Maybe a suggestion for the inevitable sequel...

And with a fast computer, that hint that comes up during scene load lasts less than a second, so no, that's not going to be a source of information for me.

I love the BookWorm series as do many here, and at first this felt very "BookWorm Lite" but now that I'm into it more I like this too. Different but I do like the various challenges per level.

Good work devs.

[Post New]by baconbanditgames on Oct 27, 14 10:36 AM
torqane wrote:First of all, thanks to the devs for spending the time here. That's a big help and "feels good" to the people spending the money.

You're welcome, I'm happy to help out in any way that I can!

torqane wrote:
So I'd say to people who are having a bit of trouble with the specifics, don't be shy--hit that big question mark once in a while and just click on all the various question marks that show up and see what they have to tell you.

I put a lot of time into thinking about the best/nicest/most understandable way to have in-game help available, and the current on-demand system is what I came up with. I'm happy to hear that it's helpful!

torqane wrote:
Now, would it be good to have a single all-encompassing help panel you could bring up from perhaps the Options screen? Yes, I think so. I like to read through things like that up front because I read fast and comprehend fairly well, and then could reference the context-sensitive bit when I needed to but would feel more at home right off the bat. Maybe a suggestion for the inevitable sequel...

That's a great idea, and one that I hadn't though of. If there's a sequel, that will certainly be included. I might try to sneak it into this game as well, if I can find the time!

torqane wrote:
And with a fast computer, that hint that comes up during scene load lasts less than a second, so no, that's not going to be a source of information for me.

Thanks for pointing this out - I've seen/read those tips so many thousands of times during testing that I sort of forget about them. I'm looking into adding an option to stay on the loading screen on the way into battle until the player clicks/presses a key, so that you can take as much time as you need to read the tips.

torqane wrote:
I love the BookWorm series as do many here, and at first this felt very "BookWorm Lite" but now that I'm into it more I like this too. Different but I do like the various challenges per level.

Good work devs.

Thanks! It really makes me happy to hear that people are enjoying Letter Quest!

[Post New]by oldgraymare on Dec 7, 14 9:18 AM
Yes, I too want to thank the developer for spending time to help us novices & older people who are "gaming challenged".

[Post New]by tylerdreams on Feb 23, 15 1:03 PM
Hi, I love this game but I seem to be stalled on level 30? Is this the end of the game or I am unaware of how to proceed. I would surely appreciate some advice. Thanks.

KimK27
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by KimK27 on May 31, 15 4:10 PM
After using only about 45 minutes of the demo, I'm going to buy this game. I like word puzzles like crosswords, but have been frustrated with word games that disallow too many words that are real words but are less common. When this game allowed "trey" and "wizen," it's worth trying for real. I haven't yet figured out all the stars on the levels I've tried, but think the challenge of doing so will be enjoyable, not frustrating.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Letter Quest: Remastered here.

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Oct 5, 15 12:36 AM
This is Oct 5 2015, I was looking for the new game for today and this is what popped up! Must have hit the wrong button. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Letter Quest: Remastered here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 5, 15 1:04 AM
Hi Roxy

I don't know either, I came on here to start the threads and I can't because this game is here instead.

Dax

Go to: