Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Risen Dragons here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 22, 14 1:03 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 5:51:27 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Risen Dragons here.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 22, 14 5:53 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Risen Dragons here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Risen Dragons.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:21:19 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Oct 22, 14 6:46 AM
A tower defense game on steroids?

This game has a lot going on – way too much actually. It's hard finding your feet at first. This review is based on playing the one hour demo.

There is

an interesting story line
a classic tower defense element
a match 3 game
and probably more

Then there are

potions
collections
upgrades
stars
spells
and probably more

The main idea is to neutralise the island, in order to do this one has to play a tower defense game. This is one of those games where one would play on the easier (casual) setting first until you have more upgrades. It is similar to other tower defense games but has a few unique elements, one being your dragon that you can freely move during the game and that he can clear spots for more towers. The tower defense was very busy and you can start the next wave immediately if you want. The one level had 41 short waves rather than a few long waves. It made an interesting change.

Once the island is neutralised the dragon pulls it closer to the mainland if you have enough money or potions (this is simply an animation). Money is earned during tower defense games. Potions are earned by playing match 3. It is not up to you which one you choose, the game dictates. Therefore you will have to spend some time playing the match 3 game. It took me a while to figure out the match 3 bonuses or how to activate them (often just by clicking on them) mainly because I very seldom play match 3 games and there didn't seem to be much instructions here.

In the meantime between levels there are quests or story titbits. You also need to spend your stars and purchase upgrades.

There is a lot of documentation, assistance throughout the game with a lot of pop-ups that will stay there until you click them. The only saving grace is they are on the side and you can ignore them until after the wave or the level. All this information is also contained in a book where there are details of the monsters and upgrades and towers.

I would recommend that if you enjoy classic tower defense games that you try this one.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 22, 14 11:57 AM
Totally lost on this game.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 22, 14 1:25 PM
This is the first game of this type that I have ever played, or to be more precise, I should say tried to play.

There is a lot of stuff thrown at the newbie player here. That's me.

By the time I saw rocks to zap they had disappeared; at least the small ones. I watched in horror as my dragon didn't zap evil ants even though it was trying and those ants attacked the person I'm supposed to defend.

In the meantime, I am supposed to arrange for islands to be brought together and to travel through portals to other places and zap evil leeches (I liked that!) and also to do something about building turrets or maybe knocking them down...and I have a hunch that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Whew!!

I like the game. I really do. I don't think I can ever play it with any degree of success but I really like it. I wish I had the talent to multi-task efficiently but I don't.

I think the game is very well done although I admit I have nothing to compare it to. I'm going to put it on the back burner. Maybe in the future I will have the ability to do all these things at once and then I will take a second look.

Does this count as a review?

Happy gaming!!

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 1:26:42 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Oct 22, 14 8:42 PM

Edited on 10/23/2014 at 1:03:20 PM PST

Just_Joie
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Just_Joie on Oct 24, 14 9:50 AM
There are a lot of positives to this game: Match 3 minigame, tower game defense, enough story to hold it together, and cute graphics. I bought the game after an hour based on this much.

There are some annoyances you notice after the first confusion of trying to sort out what to do to be successful. The tutorial NEVER goes away. You are assumed to be as noob on your tenth tower as your first, I guess, and can never ever remember how to upgrade a tower despite doing it for many levels before. There are levels with no apparent way to collect all the stones, and no hint about that, between clearing off the tower tutorial popups each time you place one and attempt to sort out the enemy waves despite the popup distractions. This is not a hard game at all, but it is distracting and hard to relax and simply enjoy playing.

I do not find myself caring about the characters much beyond the dragon. Things I would really like to know are not mentioned, such as the impact of choosing to upgrade my dragon versus unlocking more skills. That is left for you to sort out, despite the nanny effect every time you try to play a level of tower combat.

Still, it is a good game, and the fixes are easy enough. I just felt compelled to speak up when the reviews on the game page were all so oddly glowing that there are a few issues for some of us who have played it past the demo. I find the effort to bring more to a game commendable (match3 plus tower defense). This is good. It is just not as good as this developer can do, on a bad day,

Edited on 10/24/2014 at 9:51:58 AM PST

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Oct 27, 14 2:31 PM
i really enjoyed this game and have no complaints other than there definitely needs to be a way to turn off the hints/tutorial. otherwise it was fine for me. i didn't have any difficulties understanding the game play and i liked figuring out how to do things and build my island and choose the right upgrades for the task (which you can reset if you want at any time). if you need potions go to the lab to play match 3 to get them. if you need money or to get more stars replay a level. there are 3 difficulty levels on each map so pretty much anyone can play it and enjoy. this game isn't hard, it's just different, which i appreciated. something new and not the same old same old is always welcome.i absolutely recommend giving this game a try and just look around and wander a little through the menus and the islands and the tasks to familiarize yourself with the game play and options, there is no timer on anything except the match 3 so just relax and enjoy figuring this one out. i will be buying it today.

[Post New]by Cuznpete on Oct 27, 14 6:48 PM
I really liked this game except for the constant tutorials, no instructions on how to get to some of the rocks on the battle scenes and in the match 3 when the blue bird appears the game freezes and gives me an unauthorized to access message.
There could be more interaction with the people walking around, they look bored and confused but you cant interact with them. It would have been nice to be able to have them doing something rather than simply walking around shaking their heads.
Overall it is a fun game and I did buy it after the demo.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Oct 27, 14 8:49 PM
Apart from other people, I dón't know how to begin the game from start to finish with an actual guide.

I can't kill all the monsters.

I don't know how to get more gold stars without replaying the game on the main island over and over with all three dragons.

I have all the skills that are bought with gold stars and then when I try to upgrade a tower it shows padlocks.

I just do not understand this game and I feel like I'm stupid because other people seem to be able to work it all out.

[Post New]by Kweenee on Nov 2, 14 9:33 AM
First, I want to say that I love this game. I have seen many reviews that say there is too much going on, but I like that aspect. In fact, I wish there was more going on.

But the glitches are very frustrating. It's almost like the game was only tested through the 1 hour trial game, and then released.

I don't like glitches in "finished" products, so on a scale of 1 - 5, this game gets a 2 due to the problems. If it wasn't such a mess, I'd definitely say 5+.

Amegami
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Amegami on Nov 3, 14 2:31 AM
ZuluDawn13 wrote:Apart from other people, I dón't know how to begin the game from start to finish with an actual guide.

I can't kill all the monsters.

I don't know how to get more gold stars without replaying the game on the main island over and over with all three dragons.

I have all the skills that are bought with gold stars and then when I try to upgrade a tower it shows padlocks.

I just do not understand this game and I feel like I'm stupid because other people seem to be able to work it all out.

Most likely you have a known issue with Skills not being applied after game restart. until you enter skills menu. We working hard to resolve it as soon as possible.

HotTuna
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by HotTuna on Nov 7, 14 2:45 PM
The recurring tutorial is a real bore. Since you have to go back to get enough starts to upgrade the dragons, I wish they'd give me credit for remembering how to play!

And has the glitch with skills been fixed? All I see are promises, no posts saying it's fixed!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 1, 14 3:55 PM
can't understand how to play this!

Amegami
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Amegami on Dec 2, 14 1:11 AM
sandicats5 wrote:can't understand how to play this!

Ask a question, whats you don't understand. Is it at the beginning? Where you have to click at egg. Or in the Tower Defense (TD) part of the game? Where you have to move Dragon around and build tower at specific points?

Please clarify, or try some lets play videos through youtube.

Go to: