Azkend

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

Azkend

[Post New]by Nagasse on Apr 8, 09 1:22 AM
Hope this isn't a duplicate thread, I looked and didn't see one for this new game.

Anyway, my opinion, I didn't like at first because its a drag matching type game, but then it sort of grew on me. The boards were pretty simple to pass and I got pretty far in the demo. The graphics are fine. I don't know about hints because its so unneccessary I didn't pay attention. There's match the part of pic mini games that are easy, so the mini game shouldn't hold you up. Its not a superb game but its more type of game. Its low on excitement so if you are needing to relax this may be the game. It isn't high on my list of games but its ok. Its better than I thought it was going to be, so we'll see.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

Re:Azkend

[Post New]by JoyWales on Apr 8, 09 1:39 AM
I do not like match 3 games very much but I do like the graphics with this one. It has been very simple so far BUT it is timed. If it had a no timer option I would be buying it but will wait and see. It is so frustrating to have to rush through games rather than enjoy them.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Apr 8, 09 1:55 AM
Thank you, Joy, for telling me exactly what I needed to know. Timer = No sale. I won't even bother with the demo.

xoxJulie
Stingray
Stingray
4,592 Posts

[Post New]by xoxJulie on Apr 8, 09 2:03 AM
You'd think by now game developers would bypass the timers or at least give you that option. Maybe we could get someone to develop a timer bypass that you could add to any game you wanted, give us a lot more control of the games we buy. Aw that would never happen, just wishful thinking.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 8, 09 2:10 AM
I had already played the demo for this one from another site. Used up my full hour demo with them a long time ago. It's an interesting game. Match-3 of the chain type on hexagonal tiles with some interesting powerups. After you finish turning the entire board blue, an amulet piece appears somewhere near the top of the board and you have to remove tiles below it so that it falls off the bottom. Once you collect all the amulet pieces you get a hidden object scene of the type "find the spot where this photo was taken". There are a lot of levels.

If there were only a way to turn off that drad blasted timer. I might end up buying it anyway. Goodness knows I've played other timer-only Match-3 games to pieces, but then there's so many of them that I never finished due to the time getting so short it's impossible even with replaying the board several times in hopes of a random chance giving me an easier one.

I just played two more boards on the BFG demo to refresh my memory. I had no trouble finishing in time, but I have vague memories of a couple of boards from my previous demo that I had to replay due to what I'm going to blame as a bad random chance (but might have been because I wasn't using the correct strategy). The BFG demo started off where my previous one left off, so these were boards on levels from "Week 3" of the Adventure mode.

There is also a "survival mode" which to me personally feels more hectic so I haven't played it much.

The music is so relaxing... why couldn't they have added a "no timer" option????

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Apr 8, 09 2:15 AM
Interesting, I wouldn't have said this was a great game BUT it's the first game in months, maybe years where I have finished the entire demo without even noticing, I was that involved in it. I'll wait for Poodlebear's review and to see if anyone finishes before I make my decision but wow.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 8, 09 2:24 AM
The other site says that there are more than 50 levels in the adventure mode. Since I did my two refresh-my-mind levels in 5 minutes total, unless the boards start taking longer to finish (quite possible!) that means 2-3 hours to finish adventure mode. From reviews on other sites, players who like a challenge prefer the survival mode, where you try to keep going as long as possible. Some complaints about adventure mode being "too easy" which gives me hope that it won't get too fast for me. Gamezebo review gives it 4 stars and says it has good replay value.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Apr 8, 09 2:33 AM
lordkalvan wrote: Some complaints about adventure mode being "too easy" which gives me hope that it won't get too fast for me. .

That's always my fear, I like timers as long as there's a reasonable expectation that I can personally beat them, even if it takes a time or two.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 8, 09 3:37 AM
Has anyone let the Timer run out on this to see what happnes? I played abt. 1/2 hour of the demo and never got close to running out, but wondered, as the Timer seems to assign ranks, if it *does* run out if you fail or just don't get a rank?

It is very pretty and I liked the match the picture bit, tho that had a much speedier timer. But kinda *shrug* on Match 3s in general and there's been a flood of them of late. This makes sense, given the current economy, because I read an interview with a developer a while back where he said Match 3s are very easy code when compared to other casual game genres, which means less developemet time which means less to develope. With many game sites cutting prices and no doubt independant developers struggling to turn a profit I imagine we'll see less quality HO and Interactives (except from big companies) and more Match 3s and other "simple code" games.

But I digress. Sorry not up to my usual review tonite but in a nutshell my own personal opinion on this, not at *all* a judgement of the game in full as I only played 30 minutes:

Edited on 04/08/2009 at 3:41:31 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 8, 09 3:39 AM
I haven't finished the Demo yet but it is enjoyable enough that if it gets on Felix's list I will get it otherwise it will be on my "maybe" list as i wait for something I like better. I may not have played one of these with the hexagonal blocks, can't recall. That makes it unique enough to interest me.

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Apr 8, 09 6:11 AM
bribling, Lost in Reefs has both square and hexagonal blocks, letting you choose which kind you want to play. It also has a no-timer option, which is why I bought it.

And since this one doesn't have that option, I won't be buying it.

You would think they would have learned by now, but nooooooo....

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 8, 09 6:21 AM
I was surprised that so many here seems to be afraid of timers. They don't bother me. Many games I can finish in time. Some do get too hard after awhile, but I enjoy the game so much, I feel satisfied. If there is no timer at all, some games get boring and too easy. Just my opinion.

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Apr 8, 09 6:35 AM
slm1948 wrote:Thank you, Joy, for telling me exactly what I needed to know. Timer = No sale. I won't even bother with the demo.

Glad someone asked this...This is exactly how I feel about any games here....GOT to have relaxed mode...

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 8, 09 6:43 AM
Developers should just allow players the option - those who want timers get timers (possibly on different levels, so they can play the game through on easy, then on medium, then on expert) and those who hate the timers get the option to turn them off.

And speaking as a developer, it's a lot cheaper to develop a match-3 game than a hidden object game, because there's far less art work. The programming part of a hidden object game is simple after the scenes are created (which just needs a scene editor implemented and then the artist can place the items in the scene) but you need a LOT of solid artwork. Match-3 games can get a bit tricky to implement the first time if you let players make moves while the tiles are still falling (for example Jungle Quest has bugs in it that can misplace a tile sometimes) but after you get past that it's easy and you can add a hundred levels with very little work.

A hidden object game that has inventory items is tricky to implement. Clockwork Man was very tricky due to the zooming and panning and the 3-D effect, but that was because they hadn't done that before.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 8, 09 9:38 AM
Just to clarify, Bep, some of us who hate timers have disabilities (such as my stiff arthritic hands) that make fast mouse action impossible, so the timer becomes quite unfair pretty quickly. It's not just a matter of not liking it.

I do like this game visually, as well as the music (I hardly EVER like music!). Also, the "match the picture game is nice. I like the fact that you can choose your powerup and use the one that fits your particular style. The "hold down the mouse button and slide" method is a bit hard on my hand, and of course the timer is an awful feature. I am also not overly fond of the ice that keeps building up. It's just another timer-like feature.

I'm kind of in there with Poodle -- one thumb up, one down. Have yet to decide if it's worth a buy.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 8, 09 9:41 AM
Well I am not young but my hands are not my problem with these games- I am just too dumb at them so I would like them to not have a timer

edit: just to clarify- a choice of timer or relaxed

Edited on 04/08/2009 at 9:45:24 AM PST

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Apr 8, 09 9:54 AM
I have played 40 minutes of this game and have to agree, it is pretty pleasing on the eye. Whilst the music is relaxing, I tend to turn all music down low as I find it a distraction (just me and bad hearing).

Like Bep, I do not mind the timers but agree this should be optional ALSO, if you play with a timer but are repeatedly failing higher levels, the option to switch at that point. I think this shows that the developer cares - however haven't got far enough in this game to know if that happens.

Enjoy the occasional Match 3 but like to have something really different about it. So far I haven't seen that. So I am still thinking about it and waiting to see the other goodies that may be coming up very soon.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 8, 09 10:51 AM
I have seldom had any problem with Timers in Match Threes. Don't know why. I seem to be able to play with little trouble and haven't had to quit one yet.

HOGs are another matter. The objects are getting smaller and smaller and dark areas are multiplying. I just cannot see well enough to beat a Timer in a HOG. Some, like "Jaguar's Eye" and "Civil War" I just could not play for those reasons. Can't see the objects so, if there is a Timer, I can't beat it. In the case of the two games i named, I don't remember if they had timers but i just could not see well enough to play them. I did buy JE and am sorry because I did not get far before i had to quit.

There is no fun in using a magnifying glass or taking screen shots and stopping play to zoom in on a scene in my photo editor.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 8, 09 10:53 AM
I think I'm in the minority here because I actually like the timers on games. Without them there's no challenge for me.

Even with severe nerve damage in my hands I hardly ever run out of time in match 3s. I actually find that playing some of these games keeps my hands functioning better. If I stop playing for a few days I really notice a decrease in function. Something about keeping the signals flowing, I think.

Plus, there is almost always some bonus you can use to speed things along. For instance, in a game like Deep Blue Sea there are levels where one of the bonuses (puffer fish) buys you lots more time.

But even though I'm in favor of timers, I have to agree that offering a choice really seems like the best solution for everyone.

Seriously, developers, how hard could that be?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 8, 09 11:16 AM
Another one here who doesn't mind timers on match-3's; in fact, much as I love Puzzle Park, the only thing I find lacking is that there isn't a timer option to make the game a bit more challenging. I bought Azkend last night and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm the sort who will get stuck at some point but enjoy going back and trying again, off and on, for months, if that's what it takes.

On the other hand, I really dislike timers in HOGS; I was enjoying Dr. Lynch until the timer became a detriment and an annoyance, and for this reason I still haven't finished it--I just can't seem to find some of the very tiny items fast enough. I'll get back to it eventually but I was getting very discouraged.

So, at the risk of being very redundant (and also realizing how seemingly arbitrary the above is), HOGS and match-3s both should have the choice of having timer/no timer, absolutely.

Go to: