Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 30, 14 12:59 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/30/2014 at 5:34:33 AM PST

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by kpajak on Oct 30, 14 3:43 AM
Good morning! Well, another grainy game, getting tired of the dull colors, that being said, It's another kids are kidnapped, you have to get them back. It's just not interesting enough to keep me going, Happy gaming all, this is just one woman's opinion

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by firebird40 on Oct 30, 14 3:56 AM
I gave this one a try, but it is so similar in storyline to others from a different developer that I felt like I had already played it. My opinion on it:

PROS: music is nice.

CONS: grainy, poorly colored graphics which are uninteresting. Cliched storyline, predictable gameplay, doesn't fill my screen even on full screen.

A no for me, not even with a coupon or sale. I had really hoped for a great game this close to Halloween, but this isn't even close to what I wanted.

Definitely try it for yourself, though, as everyone's game tastes are different!

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 30, 14 5:35 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 10:18:49 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Oct 30, 14 6:53 AM

Edited on 11/03/2014 at 10:03:35 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Oct 30, 14 6:59 AM
When I started the game I found the graphics alright, not superb, but not as grainy as expected. The gameplay was interesting , although too many "don't know the code" for my liking. And wow, one door was actually open, without having to find a key first!!
What made me wanted to quit the game early was the slowness of loading the screens. Whenever a change in scenery, 10 seconds waiting and watching my screen being black. Also when zooming in on something it went black for about 5 seconds.
That spoiled it for me. And the story was soooo old, kidnapped children... argh... think of something new !!!

Edited on 10/30/2014 at 7:01:42 AM PST

marymaltese
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by marymaltese on Oct 30, 14 7:56 AM
Started the playing and came to a deja vu moment. I knew I had played the game before. Researched and found that there was a game Silent NIghts: The Pianist CE just like it. If this game is different, I haven't reached the difference yet. No buy for me. It could be a sequel, but I even remember the headmistress in the original version in which the same thing happened. Maybe I'm playing too many games.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Oct 30, 14 8:29 AM
I kept thinking I played this game before. Thanks for the research. I too thought seen it. played it done it. No buy.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 30, 14 9:24 AM
THE THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF CLASSICAL "MUZAC" IN THIS GAME PROVIDES MUCH NEEDED MUSICAL THERAPY FOR OVERLY STRESSED GAMERS

We are off to Italy in the 1950's for a musical extravaganza by The Big Blue Marble The Deux family is known throughout Europe for its musical talent. You play Mrs. Deux, a world famous soprano. During a concert, fire erupts in the concert hall and your children, the next in the line of musical prodigies, are abducted by a masked man who is seeking revenge. Why are your children being kidnapped? Who is this masked man and what vengeance is he seeking against your family? Expect some twists and turns in this musical themed game.

LEVELS: There are three levels with the hardest level not allowing the skipping of puzzles. There is no customized version.

GRAPHICS: The only thing I disliked about the game. The graphics appear grainy and blurry on my computer.

SOUND OF/AND "MUZAC" Operatic and symphonic overtones abound in this game.

INVENTORY, HOP SCENES, PUZZLES: The inventory is NOT interactive. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like and well-done. They consist of junk piles, silhouettes, and placement of items into the scenes. The puzzles are fairly elementary.

EXTRA GOODIES: You must collect buttons for decryption to create music which unlocks episodes of the history of the Deux family. A map is provided at the beginning of the game. You have a music translation device which writes down music for the various musical sounds you hear throughout the game. You use this encryption to open locks.

COMMENTS: THIS GAME IS A LITTLE SHORT OF BEING CE WORTHY. It may be longer than other games; however, I prefer "quality over quantity." There is no ability to customize the game. The graphics are primitive and the inventory is not interactive. The puzzles are not challenging. However, the storyline is intriguing to me. Since I like certain parts of this game, it has been hard for me to assess this game, especially after last week's "spooktacular" offerings.

NOW TO RATE THE MUSICAL GENIUS OF THIS GAME. I RATE THIS GAME 4.5 NOTES OUT OF 5 NOTES FOR A CE. IT IS MISSING A HALF NOTE TO MAKE IT A COMPOSITION WORTHY OF THE CE STATUS.

I HAVE LEARNED SOME NEW FACTS FROM THIS GAME. IT SEEMS THAT ONE CAN USE A TUNING FORK AS A WRENCH FOR HEX BOLTS AND ADHESIVE TAPE FOR SPLICING LOW CURRENT, LOW VOLTAGE WIRING. LOL!

Edited on 10/30/2014 at 9:25:39 AM PST

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 30, 14 9:42 AM
Based on part of the demo time, I can't say I like this game enough to purchase either the CE or SE. I don't think it's worth a CE, and it didn't interest me enough to wait for the SE. Once again a masked man and kidnapped children. Apparently this is a second game featuring the same musical family? Or just the same premise... The other was released a few years ago, and I haven't played it.

If you want to lose sparkles you have to give up the tips. That was fine for as long as I played, but there should be a way to lose only the sparkles and nothing else. Nearly everyone else is offering custom settings these days!

It's a very linear game. Right away you find three items, (highlight to read although it isn't much of a spoiler since it happens right off) a coin, a tuning fork, and tape. You then use them right away in the same scene.

The HOS and PUZZLES are simple. Few items to find, and they are large. Some interactive. Nothing to "write home about," as my mother used to say. The graphics are a bit grainy.

There is the "gimmick," as I call them, in a contraption that can take decode musical notes. I didn't see this as adding anything to the game or story other than to take up time. Yes, you gain more back story each time, but I really didn't care!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 30, 14 12:34 PM

Bland Recital "Sparks" A Hot Pursuit

The setting: You are at the North Italy Music Festival listening to your daughters, Amelie and Bernadette, play in the children's orchestra. Suddenly a fire breaks out in the theater and your children are led away by a mysterious masked man. I do not want to give away too much, but this all has to do with "the healing power of music." (Note: this is the second in the series, the first title is The Pianist which I have not played)

In somewhat of a paradox, even though you play the girls' mother (she is also a musician), you perform a lot of non-musical, non-feminine tasks in this game. One thing that you do musically is transcribe music into written form. You'll do this over and over to help you to progress. However, you'll also shoot machine guns, repair tractors and other mechanical things.

Throughout the game there are small symbols to collect which, when you have the set of three, will unlock a "secret file." These files fill in the back story about why your children are in danger. Other than these, there are no other collectibles or morphing objects. There is a jump map - or rather a display of locations - and a journal.

Hidden objects scenes are infrequent as this game presents more puzzles than HO's Types encountered were simple list with interaction, put back in place, and progressive. Puzzles and mini-games were a nice twist, none were very difficult but every one fit nicely into the arts and music theme of the story.

The drawing was a little grainy, but I did not mind. This is a dark story, so bright, shiny and clear would not be appropriate. A nice touch by the developers has a scene change from day to night as time passes. There's plenty of detail in the surroundings, but I thought it was somewhat lacking in the appearance of the other characters. Voices were mostly good except for the masked man's who was not frightening enough for my tastes.

This Collector's Edition has a strategy guide (two chapters in demo) and the usual pseudo extras. I had to consult the strategy guide only because the instructions for a mini game were unclear. It does remember your last page.

I enjoyed playing the demo, I liked the puzzles and was interested in the story, but is it worth the price of a CE? Lacking any useful extras, the SE seems to be a better way to conduct this orchestra.

Four

Edited on 10/31/2014 at 12:07:00 PM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 30, 14 2:00 PM
I will admit that after 15 minutes into playing the demo I did not like it, the graphics were grainy and the game play far too easy.

After the fire on the stage the mother (who did not sound distraught over the loss of her 2 children) picked up an object from her handbag saying something along the lines of "I never leave home without my tuning fork"! She then used it once in the same scene and we never saw it again!

That's when I thought "Oh please, are you for real"!

However I like to give a game the benefit of doubt and continued playing the demo, the graphics became better, I did not experience a 10 second blackout when changing scenes as others have said, and the game opened in widescreen for me.

BTW - in the main menu there is a box you can tick to get widescreen although I didn't have to as the game started in widescreen. We all have different systems so we all get different start-up systems. For me it pays to have 9 grand-monsters with an age range of 4 to 18 years who help me work it out (a little tip for any Grandmas out there, the 10-12 year olds are the best to ask).

Levels: Casual, Advanced, Hard - no Custom. I chose to play in Casual as I wasn't in the mood for Hard.
Chapters: There are 6 chapters and a Bonus Game, as I haven't finished the game the 3 chapters I played were of a decent length.
HOS - all were interactive.
Mini-Games and Puzzles - There are a lot of them which is something I really like no matter how hard they are - I have spent hours doing some puzzles as I do not like being beaten! However I would say these ones were fairly easy but some took a bit of time (5 minutes). If you hate mini games or puzzles this might not be the game for you, but check it out first.
Game Play - logical but there are a few scenes that are a bit obscure.
Collectibles: - There are dragon emblems to collect and they are pretty much "in your face" usually when you have completed a mini-puzzle/game, once you have clollected three you are automatically shown a page with a story about the family or the evil Draco!

In my opinion - this was a fairly relaxing game and exciting in places, although it had it's moments of confusion but then it could have been me as I was meant to be working so rushed through it.

Please do not dismiss a game after only 15-20 minutes of play, finish the demo and then think about it.

Edited on 10/30/2014 at 2:06:49 PM PST

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Oct 30, 14 2:55 PM
No buy for me. Too many cut scenes forced on you, grainy, plot moves slowly and it just plain wasn't fun to play.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Oct 30, 14 6:16 PM
I actually liked Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra because it had lots to do and I could usually figure out what to do without consulting the Strategy Guide. I had 2 years of piano lessons as a pre-teen so knew the scale but that is all. (The lessons were a waste of my parents money.) I have no musical talent. So, the music puzzles were not difficult for me and shouldn't be for anyone.

Of course it is silly in that the mother did not seem overly anxious that her daughters were abducted and the fire department was not on the scene pronto; but remember -- this is only a game! YOU have to do the acting.

I had no technical problems on my Windows 8.1 system.

I also Beta-tested this game and know for sure that I have played it before and mentioned that in my review.

Tonight I played the trial version of Silent Nights: The Pianist because a few Fishies stated that it was the reason for de ja vu; but The Pianist is nothing like Silent Nights: Children's Orchestra. So what game is nearly identical to this one???

Edited on 10/30/2014 at 6:17:19 PM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Oct 30, 14 10:08 PM
This is one of very few CE's that I'm not going to buy. I believe the title captures it right, for "children". Way too easy, everything is easily in sight. No collectibles, and the HOS are painfully too easy. Music was decent, but the graphics were grainy. Very dull story, not remarkable enough for me, even if it were free. I agree with those who feel there should have been a Halloween themed CE, something with vampires or other monstrous beasts.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 31, 14 7:36 AM
only one major problem the going between scenes or areas is too slow!!

are we getting a tad spoilt

[Post New]by shimmerlace77 on Nov 3, 14 3:18 AM

Edited on 11/03/2014 at 10:03:58 AM PST

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Nov 3, 14 11:04 AM
Review of Completed Game & Bonus Chapter

If you haven't yet bought this game and are wondering whether to spring for the CE or wait for the SE my advice is this: (1) Buy the CE version when there is a half price sale, or (2) buy the SE. To my mind, the only thing that makes this a CE is the inclusion of a Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter. And the Bonus Chapter isn't that long, to be honest.

I have played the first 'Silent Nights' more than once, and it was an enjoyable game. This second instalment, whilst still fairly enjoyable, had little element of challenge to it. Only once or twice did I find myself thinking "What can I do next?" It felt like whenever I picked up an item I'd know exactly where I needed to use it. It was just click, click, click all the time - I never needed to pause for breath! One place that did give me a "HUH???" moment was when [spoiler] having progressed through a whole load of scenes and got almost to the end, you have to go right back to the first scene to find a Hidden Object game. Had I not checked my map I'd never have thought of going back there again. [spoiler ends].

There were a lot of puzzles in this game, and most of them I found to be relatively easy. I do like the 'swap tiles to create the picture' puzzles, of which there were a few. The 'open the lock by setting the 3 musical notes' was quite repetitive, but also very easy once you figured out the order to move them in.

You visit each Hidden Object scene twice (or was it three times, sometimes??), but at least there was a little variation: 'replace the object into the scene', 'progressive find & use', and 'straight HOG'. Just as well, really.

I didn't notice the graphics being too grainy on my monitor, and the game ran smoothly, with no blips or freezing/crashing, or lagging.

My conclusion is that this was a fun way to pass 2-3 hours, but I'm soooo glad I didn't pay full price for it. So many devs nowadays really go to town on CE extras, and this game was just lacking any real bells & whistles. An inbuilt Strategy Guide and a short Bonus Chapter does not (for me) a CE make. Nor does it justify charging customers twice the price. Unless you also particularly enjoy having the Wallpaper, Concept Art and Muzak (which I suspect most of us don't see as a must-have).

Edited on 11/03/2014 at 11:05:57 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 23, 14 1:20 PM
troischats wrote:Review of Completed Game & Bonus Chapter

If you haven't yet bought this game and are wondering whether to spring for the CE or wait for the SE my advice is this: (1) Buy the CE version when there is a half price sale, or (2) buy the SE.

I just wanted to say thank you for this. I enjoyed the hour demo play, in as much as it was pretty relaxing with not much to really think about but with that in mind I didn't think it was anything special and certainly not CE price worthy. Too many devs add wallpapers and music and make it a CE.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 1, 14 6:20 PM
I didn't mind this game, didn't notice the graphics being "grainy" and the storyline, although not new, didn't bother me. What DID bother me, was the never-ending swap the tiles puzzles which made me want to tear my hair out! The one toward the end, with all the different buildings in different arcitectural styles and the arcs and all the detail, just made me laugh and I was like "are you kidding with this"? I don't have an extra seven hours to fool around with these puzzles. I have no patience for that sort of thing, so I did get bored with those type of puzzles. I did think there were a few innovative things, like finding the music sheet and some of the other puzzles, I did enjoy. The game itself wasn't hard, but some of those swap puzzles ------ no thanks!!

feenix

Go to: