TnT_TJ
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TnT_TJ on Dec 31, 12 9:01 AM
I wrote a lengthy review about this game on the game page, and to find out this was considered by Big Fish to be "Game of the Year" had me totally blown away. Do they simply go by sale numbers? The sale numbers only reflect the expectations and not how much customers actually liked it, which can clearly be seen on the game page. The SE version, which is the one they announced as "Game of the Year", has a 2.3 average rating and a 24% recommendation rate out of 57 reviewers, and I have a hard time believing that the SE outsold the CE. The CE has a whopping 734 reviews in which it gets a 2.6 average rating and a 31% recommendation rate. To complete the insult towards their customers they even have the nerve to call it "2012 CUSTOMER favorites awards". Isn't it also strange that it did not get in the top 3 of ANY of the sub categories, like best HO, best Adventure, best graphics or best anything? And where or rather who voted for this? Not your customers, that's for sure. It is clear to see that this is some sales pitch BS, but it is a really really bad one, and I thought Big Fish was better than that. I suggest that you have a true vote for these awards next year so that they actually reflect the truth and also make it more fun for the customers.

manxie273
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by manxie273 on Dec 31, 12 10:19 AM
I was very disappointed with this game. I have loved all the MCF hames so far, but they have changes the format on this one and I just didn't like it. OK so I finished the game, but some of the magic of the previous games had gone. I think that they should go back to the original format, where there were more HO scenes & puzzles, and perhaps add in some achievements. I didn't mind the real actors, but I think there should be less focus on this, and more focus on the game progression and the puzzles.

makewecasa
Clownfish
Clownfish
878 Posts

[Post New]by makewecasa on Dec 31, 12 10:27 PM
This is only the second time I have ever gotten a bad vibe from a game and the first time that I have quit playing one that I was actually enjoying because of it. I see people say it's a game, what difference does it make if there are demons summoned (or automatic writing or whatever bothers you)? Everybody's line is different. I play a lot of games that some people in my church would have a cow about. Sometimes I can't even define exactly where the line is or why it was crossed, but I trust the vibe. I would not criticize anyone for playing it but have respect for people who won't and who appreciate being told about parts that would definitely be a turnoff, especially when, as sherryah points out, they come way into the game and can ruin play and make you feel like you wasted time. I rather liked the playing style, although I think it might have gotten a bit tedious to repeat it as many times as it apparently appears. I love the multi-location hidden object scenes and personally I really like matching the little squares. I don't mind MCF doing different things, even when I don't care for them. I didn't really like 13th Skull but I thought it was cool to do something different. I loved EFR, but I love morphing objects and MCF is the best at that.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jan 1, 13 6:17 PM
well, that was a major disappointment. serves me right for buying with no demo, thinking anything from MCF would rock, as all the previous ones have done. this game, with the exception of the SG could have been pretty much any ole game with too small objects. seemed thrown together with the "bonus" game in the middle, morphing objects that didn't appear until more than half the game was over, no sense of closure when it was. after buying and playing all MCF games available, this one basically sucked. it was in no way as good as it could have been, or should have been, and was actually boring for the most part.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Jan 3, 13 4:08 PM
At the beginning the reviews started out as "5 out of 5 stars." Typical of many of the early reviewers. As we get to the later pages, reviews are are a bit more pointed.

Dire Grove this is NOT! He(ck), this isn't even Ravenhust.

The acting is horrible. The puzzles are simple. Let's start with that.

Then, after completing this miserable game, the bonus material says you have to find a hidden object to open a "morphing" part of the game. Like I enjoy pixel hunts for morphing objects that have no reward.

And then I find out that when I complete the game, (which is verified by the fact that the game tells me I have completed it,) and the credits start to roll, (which can't be turned off, which is another minor irritant,) I find out that I have missed something that won't allow me to play the bonus material.

Is there anything the developers of this game or BFG could possibly do to piss me off more?

I think not! Let's say the MCF franchise has lost its luster, and will not be an auto purchase ever again. Those of us who were expecting better really deserve a refund on this one.

[Post New]by bkibalski on Jan 6, 13 3:13 PM
I too, never write reviews...just read them, but this game was so awful I had to let others know about it.

I own all the mystery case files games and agree, whoever was involved in "acting" or being a part of this game in any aspect should be embarrassed as this was painful to play.

I usually doze off playing it and would be revolted by the repeated bore of the drawings and the same old square block match up puzzle over and over and over again.

I wouldn't play this again for free or for anything.

Instead of just trying to pump out another MCF game, please put some thought into it. This game SUCKED.

[Post New]by girlofvampires on Jan 11, 13 8:58 AM
Oh wheal I really it! It was full of adventures... Of course I added a + to the game and because it was MCF I like a lot MCF, so I tried this game also and I have a good review, and it's so cool that there has been Lea Thompson from Switched at birth) and she was pretty amazing there she played a great psychic can't wait for another game...Hope it will be and I say YES! who don't know yet to play OR not

[Post New]by meredith927 on Jan 17, 13 1:35 PM
This is my least favorite of the MCF games...what a disappointment! The strategy guide is awful, the hints are useless, and it's been kind of boring. I'm stuck in the library and don't even care if I finish. I bought it automatically knowing how much I loved other MCF games but it was a mistake not to demo it. Go back to games like Ravenhurst!!

godschild1955
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by godschild1955 on Jan 24, 13 9:14 PM
I'm still playing, don't know how much I have left in regular game b/c the "strategy guide" is like no other guide I have ever seen & personally, it STINKS!!
The pace would be a little quicker if I didn't have to keep stopping to listen to & go see that annoying psychic at the motel. Too much time spent with mindless things instead playing.
The HO's are tiny, sometimes very dark areas & not all in one room or area, although it's hard to know with that worthless SG, it is really no help at all.
Those ?puzzles? are very annoying, hurts wrist & makes one a little dizzy.
I bought this game b/c it had such rave reviews-??-from whom I don't know. B/C of all the MCF games I have & have enjoyed mostly, that is why I bought this sight unseen, this Definitely Was A Bad Move On My Part!!
I don't really give a lot of reviews b/c for the most part I'm seemingly satisfied. But every so often a game comes along that I just have to come on & give my 2cents worth, this is one of those times.
Definitely disappointed & can't find the Lake to jump into or least throw that psychic into!

Edited on 01/24/2013 at 9:18:04 PM PST

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Feb 4, 13 12:09 PM
I thought this was on the bottom of the list for MCF games. The floating puzzle thing was not any fun - which is why I play these games. Never did find the last morphing object - but just finding the bonus chapter and morphing objects was a real trial - too confusing for this old bird.

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Capatin on Feb 22, 13 11:30 PM
I liked the game but was a little disappointed with the guide yet i am a fan of the live actors being involved but it needs to be balanced with more excellent game play love Mystery Case Files as a whole just slightly unhappy with this one

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Feb 23, 13 10:28 AM
Meh! I was also disappointed in this game. It doesn't stand up to the other MCF games. I thought it was only slightly better than the 13th Skull. The psychic reading puzzles were maddening. I did like that there was a mixutre in hidden object formats. The reward for finding the morphing objects was a bit of a letdown. Please go back to games like RTR and Dire Grove!

Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

Collector's Edition waste

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Apr 10, 13 6:56 AM
Bonus gameplay?? Where?? All I got was the ability to search for morphing objects. What a waste of money.

Also, the subtitles, or displaying text of spoken parts, was often missing. I play with speakers off, so I can listen to music or TV. Had to guess at what was being said.

The jigsaw-type puzzles were maddening in that I couldn't control the movements of the pieces. I skipped them all. Another waste of time.

Edited on 04/10/2013 at 6:57:54 AM PST

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Apr 23, 13 12:08 PM
Amen to that......

lvfao wrote:well, that was a major disappointment. serves me right for buying with no demo, thinking anything from MCF would rock, as all the previous ones have done. this game, with the exception of the SG could have been pretty much any ole game with too small objects. seemed thrown together with the "bonus" game in the middle, morphing objects that didn't appear until more than half the game was over, no sense of closure when it was. after buying and playing all MCF games available, this one basically sucked. it was in no way as good as it could have been, or should have been, and was actually boring for the most part.

bgcaam79
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by bgcaam79 on Apr 24, 13 8:17 AM
Unfortunately I could only play up to the Coroner's office due to cursor issues, but even up to then this game doesn't "wow" me at all.
The acting is hammier than a ham sandwich and the constant returning to the hotel room to do those moving tiles puzzles gets boring after the 3rd time.
It hasn't got a patch on the Ravenhearst series or Dire Grove.
It's a shame, but I keep my hopes up for the next installment. Guess, there's a black sheep in nearly every family, lol.

Nothing to do with game play as such, but the biggest gripe for me is that the developers seem to completely ignore the fact that this game is just not playable for a lot of people due to glitches. It might put a lot of customers off from purchasing any future MCF installment.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 28, 13 7:31 PM
First of all I am a MCF fan, HOWEVER, this game has me doubting that. This game had to be the most irritating game I've ever played. The best way I can put it is it's totally linear. In other words, there are things that you know you need to do, but the game won't let you do it, until you are at that stage. Such restrictions. And how many times did I have to go back and get the darn ladder? I lost count. Going back and forth to a psychic? Puh-Leez! And the big one.......the game will NOT let you out of the credits, just because they put a cut scene at the very end, very annoying. I will definitely not be as hasty to buy more MCF's in the future.

cirig
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cirig on Jun 22, 13 1:34 AM
There are many things to like about this game and a number of things I disliked. I really missed the snarky, funny tone of the MCF games up until this one. Although the Master Detective does do a significant amount of detecting, we just get little glimpses of his/her thought processes and she seems more like an assistant to the psychic. I like Lea Thompson, but she overacted horribly throughout the game and the character was alternately boring and irritating. It would have been a lot more fun, I think, if the Ghost Patrol crew had stayed (without the psychic) and had bungled its way through the game with the detective having to save them, correct their blunders, etc. I love morphing objects but the ones in this game were terribly hard to find; I had better luck clicking around at random rather than actually being able to see them.

That said, I still found the game mostly intriguing and enjoyed playing it. I'd recommend buying the CE; can't imagine how you could get through without it. (I like the strategy guide just fine, despite the disapproval many other fishies are voicing.)

Please, Big Fish, in the next MCF game, return the funny, cool and (mostly) unflappable Master Detective to us!

[Post New]by moonhunter13 on Jun 22, 13 4:58 PM
I agree it was boring and I felt I was being lead thru the entire game, that's why I like Nancy Drew you figure it all out yourself. HERinteractive only comes out with 2 games a year or I would strictly play them. Dire Grove was the best...the 10th MCF game is called Fate's Carnival...hope they get back to the MCF we all love!!

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Jul 28, 13 8:17 AM
I quite enjoyed the game....EXCEPT finding out I had to open the safe in the quarry to get the extras....very disappointing....so I guess I have to replay the game

[Post New]by beezeemee on Nov 14, 13 12:00 AM
This game entertained me for a couple of hours. I'm a big fan of the MCF series and the Ravenhearst games are my favorites. Shadow Lake was not like them but they still had the live action scenes. Puzzles were difficult too. Be careful of the ghosts who suddenly pop on screen! SPOILER ALERT: I loved the Madame Fate pachinko!

Go to: