Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 13, 11 12:50 PM
didn't understand why I saw it a while ago as new on BFG
You didn't. This BFG game is nearly two years old. You may have seen it as a Daily Deal recently.

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by chickenjools on Nov 15, 11 1:07 PM
I bought MCF, Return To Ravenhurst on the strength of reviews and found it irritating with the dark, junkpile, endless hidden object scenes.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this game (which is by the same developers as RTR) and was ready to be disappointed but far from it. It's a cracking game! Yes, there are hidden object scenes, but the objects are findable and not obscure like many games. The puzzles are very do-able without being too easy or infuriatingly hard.

It's quite a spooky game and can be quite creepy at times.

The graphics are great. The music ranges from 'good' to 'makes your hair stand up' and I loved it.

I really enjoyed the video scenes - a bit Blair Witch project - but I don't know that they told me much.

I will definitely play this again and I'm very glad I bought it - especially as a DD - absolute bargain!

[Post New]by threedogmom on Nov 22, 11 3:29 PM
Just like a great book--I couldn't put Dire Grove down:

Literate text that I actually read
Imagery made me turn up the heat in my house
Complex puzzles and hidden objects scenes--but not too complex
I only had to cheat once at the very end--crypt(ic) alphabet made
my eyes blurry
Fabulous, please create more like this one!

[Post New]by DarkStarsD on Nov 23, 11 3:38 PM
Classic gaming industry. really liked the game

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Dec 1, 11 10:35 AM
Loved it!!

Orome
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by Orome on Dec 12, 11 6:41 AM
OMG it is amazing, thank you for such a cool game. Graphics are gorgeous! I love it ^)

[Post New]by SheenerWeens25 on Dec 22, 11 2:07 PM
This game was awesome!!! Really had no problems.. i love it how they have real live people in the game (the videos). Only problem I had was after an hour of playing, the game would go a lot slower . Im almost finished Im at the end where I try to keep the ghost lady imprisioned... Other than that love the game!

[Post New]by Madamechat on Dec 31, 11 3:51 PM
My number one! My husband and I had spend so much time with this game it was fun... No hints but a lot of research, that is what we like... Lets say that both of us think that all the "Mystery Case Files" are the best!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 2:44 PM
I love the mystery case files series, this one is an amazing adventure game that will have anybody spending a nice amount of time playing.

Nice graphics, I actually found myself shivering with the cold in the scenes.

(just joking)

Is overall a great game.

doziedoats
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by doziedoats on Jan 17, 12 2:44 PM
Loved this game, and actually did the final sequence without too much trouble at all. Rather proud of myself for that as I haven't been doing this very long. I don't get all the abbreves yet but hopefully that will come. It helps I read all the posts pertaining to the ones I am working on, coming in from the fellow gamers. Hopefully I will get better at verbalizing.

[Post New]by duckgirl722 on Jan 26, 12 8:29 AM
This is the first game I've ever played on BFG Still the most beautiful one in my opinion... The talking corpses and the ghost in the mirror are so creepy!

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Jun 5, 12 11:46 PM
I loved this game and was able to spend quite a few hours playing. I had to consult the walkthrough a few times along the way, although I hate having to resort to that. The game kept me really interested all the way through. The only problem I had with this game was the ending - I thought it was a bit cheesy and I wasn't crazy about it. Other than that, I had great fun playing all the way through.

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Sep 6, 12 10:04 AM
I first played this game after buying from a store several years ago. This is one of my all time favorites!!!

abigmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by abigmama on Sep 12, 12 2:15 PM
I have not entirely completed it, just got over the bridge, but so far I love this game!! So glad I got it, it's been so much fun! Thanks.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Dec 12, 12 2:35 PM
I've previewed all the games in the MCF series, bought four of them, and unable to demo the last two since my computer can't seem to handle the graphics. From what I've gathered from the combined less than stellar reviews of the last two installments (Escape from Ravenhearst and Shadow Lake), it seems that this series had peaked with the excellent Dire Grove and started its downward spin beginning with 13th Skull and now flatlining with Shadow Lake. Maybe MCF fans were expecting too much with each new game that comes out? Even though I haven't played all the games, Dire Grove meets my expectations across the board from what I look for in great game...an excellence in the storyline, visuals, sound, puzzles, minigames, and HO scenes. The other three MCF I own (Madame Fate and the first two Ravenhearsts) are good but aren't as good as DG and from the others that I demo'd, I didn't like enough to buy. DG is still the one that always shows up on every top 100 list on BF.

[Post New]by yvetuck on Jan 1, 13 5:49 AM
I'm disappointed as I only use a notebook and many of the recent games don't work for me due to spec problems so I always run the 1 hour trial. Did that with this game and it worked great. Now bought full version and for the first time ever I'm not able to play the full version due to missing areas on my screen. Probably should have checked spec but playing the trial has worked for me.

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 7:48 AM
The best game ever!!! Thats all!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 3, 13 11:34 AM
This was one of the first games I bought, all those many years ago, and I decided to replay it to see how it stood the test of time. It's even better than I remembered This is how you make a game! It was really tough not having a hint button outside of the HOs but it really made me think. I hadn't realized how much I depend on it while I'm playing nowadays. The puzzles were good, and I liked having to look in the vidoes and notebook to find clues for them. The story was good, you always remembered what it was and what you were doing. For me, a perfect 10. It could maybe have been better, but it didn't need to be.

Go to: