bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 1, 14 12:29 AM
Before Queen Sophia was born, the Human Kingdom lived in an age of glory: the golden age. However, this age too had its dark times. Beneath a veneer of peace, war has come with minotaurs invading human villages. But there is more to this war than meets the eye, and you must uncover it. The minotaurs claim that humans have been starving them, but how could this be true? Escape your village, investigate the truth, and journey to the ends of the kingdom and into its castles, meeting allies with unique abilities that can help you. Uncover the secrets behind the war, or the kingdom of your birth will be destroyed!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition

[Post New]by thistle809 on Nov 1, 14 2:02 AM
I beta tested this almost two months ago and enjoyed every delightful minute! I jotted down notes of: Gorgeous graphics, good voices, great storyline, very good mini-games - Lots of Fun! I'm glad to see it here for all of us to enjoy!

Newmenor
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Newmenor on Nov 1, 14 3:48 AM
Love all the Awakening games and this one is no exception. This game IS Fun!!!! Only played 20 mins. of it, but a def. buy!! Won't please everyone but don't care, I love it!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 1, 14 9:08 AM
I really wish people could write reviews that don't insinuate that the people who *do* like the game are mentally incompetent simpletons.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 1, 14 11:22 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I really wish people could write reviews that don't insinuate that the people who *do* like the game are mentally incompetent simpletons.

You're right, I like the game a lot, so I must be a 12 year old kid. Sorry, but we all have different tastes. I am dutch and the games are not translated anymore so I have to play these versions, which is not a problem but it plays so much easier in your own language, and that's part of the reason I like this game, easy to understand and a delight to play.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 1, 14 11:53 AM
I'm with you Shelterhill, I am so over ghosts, goblins, witches and kidnapped children. It is a pleasure to play a game that has none of the above so I guess you can call me a 12 year old too.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 1, 14 12:01 PM
I always thought these games would be a great way to learn a different language. I might give that a try someday.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 1, 14 1:27 PM
I've learned a lot indeed, and love it, only the technical terms, not so much, but I know a lot of English words that I might never use, but know them anyhow ( take dandelion for instance, great word, in Dutch it's paardenbloem, pronounce that!!! )

Edited on 11/01/2014 at 1:28:29 PM PST

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Nov 1, 14 5:05 PM
I like this game, and after reading all the positive reactions will buy it.
Very well put shelterhill. I'm Dutch too, and also learned words by playing these games. For example, when would you use the word 'ankh'?
You're never too old to learn and play

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 1, 14 5:59 PM
I am not a fan of Awakenings......
No, that is not true, because I bought all the other games, but, I always get unengaged from the game at some point....and because of that, I am not going to buy it this time.....BUT
I don't think it is a game for children...at all.
Maybe the first one or two games were....but, each of the Awakenings games as the Princess Sophia grew up became harder to do, and had more violence in them....not what I would call childish fare.

Maybe calling the game as something that people with a healthy inner child MIGHT like, would be appropriate in a review of someone who prefers more adult minded games....but fantasy and fairy tales these days can hardly be called fare for children and Big Fish has a category for Family, that CLEARLY has games that are produced for children.

Calling the game something that "for those who love sugary delights" is just plain insulting....any which way you look at it.....and one might claim that you were trying to 'funny' or 'entertaining.....just to be 'giving your honest opinion' but clearly is showing denigration for people who like a game that you do not....and has no place in a review.
There was already one post in reviews, complaining about the amount of "blogging" in the reviews.
That person was also complaining about the amount of commentary that goes on, because people were disagreeing with what others said.....and there, I am clearly guilty.

Why can't we have reviews, that speak to why someone likes or doesn't like a game, without language prejudicial toward anybody that might like a game.
Reading the reviews, they are CLEARLY written by intelligent people, so they should be able to dispense with cleverness that comes at the expense of the Developers or of other players.....or to complain about Big Fish not catering to the tastes of one group of people OR another group of people. They maintain a pretty broad range of games....and if a person gets tired of a game series....It is simply because they got tired.....not necessarily that the games have gotten worse....
and in that case, I am referring to the last Puppet Show Game, that was put down by some other writer, in an also insulting manner.....when the Devs, had clearly made an effort to change and improve the franchise rather than delivering the 'same old, tired fare'.

I will however, thank the people who have not swarmed this forum with flame threads, about fairy tales, helper animals, or other things they hate and wish not to see.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 1, 14 6:41 PM
I liked this game too, especially because it is a prequel, and gets away from the same character (Princess Sophia).

However, finding hard-to-spot fairies is not enough for me to get the CE. So I am going to wait for the SE to come out.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 2, 14 2:53 AM
Hi all. I hardly ever have time to play games these days but always check out the daily offering.

Oh My, I saw it was an Awakening game, down loaded it, played & bought.

This I will say. I am playing in General mode, ( the hardest,) & it is a very easy game. But I don't care as I am really enjoying it.

The thing about these games is they are "family games" ( Sorry to disagree) in the sense that they are ideal to sit down with younger members and start them out on their journey for the love of games This one would make a perfect "starter game", to wet the appetite and build the confidence of a newer player.

However, being easy does not take away the enjoyment felt whilst playing all of the awakening games.

There is an achievement for finishing the game in under 6 hours, which tells me this is a long game. (Moonfell Wood took me 11 hours total time) Courses for horses and all that.

One thing to bare in mind is there were those who didn't like "Christmas Stories: The nut Cracker" because it was too childish, so as always try and make your own mind up.

[Post New]by CherylParker on Nov 2, 14 6:41 PM
Personally I find it childish for someone to feel the need to call someone else childish because they enjoy a certain game.
If you feel that way don't buy the game. Period. Point Blank.
What is the reason for your name calling in the first place?
Whether or not a game is easier than another is a matter of opinion.
and as they say Like a....... everyone has one.
So maybe stop putting others down for having a different opinion than yours.
In my opinion Some of the games are easier than past games by this dev.
However this game is also a little more challenging in what you are supposed to do.
I also like the fairy tale aspect.
I didn't start buying The Awakening series until the fourth one came out.
After I played that I went back and purchased the first 3 games that were made.
I've been hooked ever since.
I thought that the last game was the last. And was pleasantly surprised to see this one.
It was an instant buy for me.
So that's MY opinion.

[Post New]by kazooie2628 on Nov 9, 14 7:50 PM
Great...now if only they'd release a Mac version of it so I could buy it and play it. Seriously, they're cutting out a whole section of their market share by making this PC only. Don't get me wrong, I used to play tons of PC games. But now I have a Mac Laptop and I'm realizing that a lot of companies aim their games at PCs, not a Macs. Which sucks because a lot of people, like me, use Macs almost exclusively for work and school and stuff.

Go to: