Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 1, 14 12:51 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/01/2014 at 6:30:32 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Nov 1, 14 1:40 AM
WOW! I am sooo impressed with this game, I can't wait for my daughter to play the demo and purchase the game so I can play it through!

This is a sequel in the Awakening series that actually seems more like a "prequel" - yeah, go figure THAT one out. It takes place before the struggles of Sophia ,,, when she was a little girl .... when peace and prosperity reigned .... and the time was called .... The Golden Age. (I thought we oldsters called getting old the "golden age"?) lol.

Graphics are great. Voice overs passable. NO LIP SYNCING! Really??? In this day and age and from this DEV??? Terribly disappointed in that development, I can tell you. There are 3 levels of difficulty - no custom. A transportable map - finding it and putting it together is part of the fun in the game as well.

HOGs are fun and varied. And the mini games! They are EVERYWHERE - even in the HOGS! And, before you can play some of the mini games you have to answer a riddle. But, don't worry, they aren't that difficult. IMO mini games outweigh the HOGs.

Because my review is really long (yes, you know where to find the long one), I'll try to cap it into a nutshell. Minotaurs attacking the village! Sophia's friend Cedric is really WHO??? NO! Who'd have thought it! And, is the General of the Minotaur Army really a good guy in disguise???? THIS is the version of the game where you find out how everything started. Why everything happened. You don't want to miss at least playing the demo.

Besides the usual CE Bling, there appear to be replayable games, strategy guide, bonus game and collectibles. From the Achievements section, it appears the collectibles are "fairies" --- yay! I LOVE fairies! This game also has ..... length! OVER 6 hours of game play! How do I know? The clues are all there if you know where to look - .

If I wasn't so sure my daughter was going to purchase this game herself, I would jump right on it. She already owns all the rest (THOSE I did buy for her) so what's one more???

IMO this would also make a great standalone game for people like me who haven't played the previous Awakening games, and would be great for all levels of players.

Happy Saturday and ENJOY!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 1, 14 1:42 AM
I thought they retired the series with the last installment? A feable attempt in introducing this prequel to the series that begins at a time before Sophies birth. Wont get into too much details but basically the game is built for a twelve year old. Super easy HO scenes with items large enough to poke you in the eye and mini-games that are laughable. Not impress but then I only played 30 minutes of the demo before I got very bored. Outright dull and not very entertaining, but then that is only my opinion. Have a good week-end.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 1, 14 3:00 AM
i don't even begin this one!the settings are poor!game don't support wide screen and in full screen ,2 black bars of 3-4 cm up and down!not serious!i don't play game that make me change my screen resolution especially when it is said"CE"!i'll wait for this who was annonced,for i played the beta ,and seems to be better!

[Post New]by holtsylv31 on Nov 1, 14 6:14 AM
I wouldny buy it either. I think it should not have the status of a CE. The game is under 500MB, the same, or less than, a lot of standard games. The story line and its other awakening games might be ok, but its still only a standard edition.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Nov 1, 14 6:30 AM
Hi there Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 9:03:57 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 1, 14 8:43 AM
Much negativity posted so far about this game, most of which I have to disagree with.

I didn't find the settings 'poor'; the game wasn't full widescreen but only had a half inch black bar all round it, as do all the Awakening games on my PC. There is no custom option for playing but the middle choice gives little help and few sparkles.

If this game is 'built for a 12 year old' then clearly I have regressed about 50 years; I didn't find the mini games 'laughable' at all and I only came across one HOS that had large-ish items. The other HOS I encountered were like sketches and finding some items was tricky.

As for the d/l file only being 500mb, presumably the developer uses compression to make the file smaller. Less mb doesn't mean less of a game. It has enough to offer in the way of extra's to warrant being called a CE; the usual SG, collectibles, bonus chapter and replayable mini-games (assuming of course you don't find them too laughable to bother). Plus other stuff like music etc. and achievements. There is also a map which shows available tasks and is used to transport.

The graphics are, as always with this developer, quite lovely. I liked the story and found myself quite engrossed in the game. The Minotaur's are drawn beautifully and are very believable. The child Caity has an irritating voice but fortunately she doesn't say much! My one gripe is Cedric's pronunciation; unless this is yet another case of dreadful mangling of the English language, the word 'quay' is pronounced 'key', not 'kway'.

Otherwise it's a lovely game. Not so ridiculously complicated that you can't follow it, just a nice story with some good elements and very entertaining. And with the sale, it's barely more than the price of the SE so I'm off to buy and enjoy

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Nov 1, 14 9:02 AM
Angelfish
Thank you for your review. I liked the info you gave concerning MB. I too was kind of shocked that a CE was under 500MB. I am going to download the demo. Good review.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 1, 14 9:32 AM
MILKING THE "SOPHIE SAGA," THIS SERIES IS WELL PAST THE EXPIRATION DATE

We have another game in the "eternal" Sophie saga by the Boomers. This series has run out life and should be allowed to die gracefully. Now that every stage of Sophie's life has been bled dry, we are now return to an era before Sophie was born. Fitting in with the time of Day of the Dead, this game series needs to take a permanent rest!

It is the Golden Age of Humans and you are on a quest to save your kingdom of Humans from the evil "Minotaur" looking creatures. It is a classic fairy tale game with Prince Cedric to the rescue of a girl facing perilous dangers as they trek through the kingdom facing danger to defeat the evil Minotaurs.

This game would appeal to children or those who love fairy tales with a "strong male prince figure on his steed coming to rescue the damsel in distress." I actually played the whole demo which has ruined my otherwise great Halloween weekend. How does this game really fit into the Halloween spirit, BF? What happened to the "bloody" offering mentioned on Jessica's list?

LEVELS: Only three levels of play - Villager, Ranger, and General. The middle level is a "sparkly" delight and sparkles SHOULD NOT be available in the middle level. CUSTOMIZATION BE AVAILABLE IN ALL CE games.

PACE: It has a decent pace with a fairy tale adventure story.

HOP SCENES, PUZZLES, INVENTORY: The inventory is not interactive. The devs tried to "spice it up" with mini puzzles within the scenes. The puzzles are extremely easy. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like and decent.

GRAPHICS: The graphics are the best part of the game. The devs have upped their game on the graphics. They are phenomenal and pretty awesome.

EXTRA GOODIES: You receive "Naranja" (must be from Spain - it means orange). You can name a helper "hint" bird if you wish. I named my bird "Pista" (Hint), After you play a puzzle with the map, you receive it. You collect fairies. There are three achievements and you receive and amulet to help you perceive magic.

COMMENTS: One thing BF does well is provide gaming for everyone's taste. I will not be purchasing this game; however if you like it, play it. This is a pass for me.

NOW TO RATE THIS "FAIRY" TALE: I RATE THIS GAME 3 FAIRIES OUT OF 5 FAIRIES.

Edited on 11/02/2014 at 5:21:50 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 1, 14 9:44 AM
angelfish106 wrote:As for the d/l file only being 500mb, presumably the developer uses compression to make the file smaller. Less mb doesn't mean less of a game.

I agree with your comments, and I think this is a lovely game. And to reiterate what you have said above; it's a mistake to think that file size is necessarily indicative of how long or short a game is. Sometimes a larger file size is attributable to the fact that there is full motion video, for example, and yet the game itself is of medium or shorter length. It's not a good idea to use file size as a gauge of a game's length.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 1, 14 10:01 AM
This series is beautifully done and this is no exception. So far there's an engaging story that's kept me interested even though it's a prequel and the outcome is already known.

I always mispronounce "quay"! I'll have to remember it sounds like key, as in Florida Keys.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 1, 14 10:42 AM
holtsylv31 wrote:I wouldny buy it either. I think it should not have the status of a CE. The game is under 500MB, the same, or less than, a lot of standard games. The story line and its other awakening games might be ok, but its still only a standard edition.

I'm assuming that is 500 MB before purchase, correct? Quite often, after purchasing a game, there is further content to download so that number in no way indicates the size of the full game.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 1, 14 11:16 AM
This is not a story of the Prince (Cedric) to the rescue -- if anything, our heroine is to the rescue of everyone. The minotaurs have invaded, but as we find, something is going on which is to the detriment of the minotaurs, and the humans appear to be implicated. So, in a way, this is (at least through the end of the demo) a mystery to be solved, and that was what got my interest, despite Nvidia not liking the dev. so that the colors aren't entirely true; Caity, the little girl, having an adult voicing her character in a "little girl voice" (ugh); and some pretty simple mini-games, not one of which I had to skip, a record. But the story is interesting, finding the fairies is fun (no help for that from the SG in the demo), using the magic whatsit was interesting to uncover HOP's and special objects, the HOP's themselves were a little more interesting with small mini-games set during them, and the sale is a good one. The fact that that I had fairly slim black bars on top and bottom was hardly a deal breaker and, as far as interest level, this is far more interesting to me than the bonus game in the last Awakening. So, a buy for me.

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Nov 1, 14 12:08 PM
While I thank every one for their reviews, I really wish people would go back to writing reviews on the review page and give it stars. I am getting weary of seeing a game and seeing NO reviews there and NO star rating, then having to come to the forums to read through pages of debate, non-reviews, some reviews, discussions, corrections on details that were brought up but disagrred with, conversations, copy-and-pastes, back and forths..... to glean "a review". I am NOT NOT saying these are bad. I'm just saying it is much easier to say "Hm, the screen shots look nice, lemme see why people didn't like this, lemme look at the negative 3-2-1 star reviews" or "wow, everyone gave it 4-5 stars, mush be good, I'll get it!" That simple.

Please - I know this is off topic and might be removed but I also grew weary of some wanting to write entire blogs and as "reviews", too. Simple "the game features are this:" and why people liked or didn't like it is fine. Those are helpful. I don't know what started the "revolution" that no one is writing star reviews and everyone is posting forum reviews why is it hard to put a short, helpful star review and then come and expound here if you'd like and chat about it here? Helpful on both accounts!

Just askin'

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 1, 14 1:40 PM
Agree with Nilosh Very boring game. Played demo for maybe 10 minutes and stopped. To me certainly not a CE even with sale.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 1, 14 1:53 PM

What's Your Idea of A Golden Age?

In the intro, we are told that Queen Sophia's reign was a "golden age" for humans. On the screen we see someone's idea of this golden age: laundry hangs itself on the line. Whatever your idea of a golden age is, it's got to include that, right?

You are Sasha. Your world is inhabited by humans and minotaurs. The minotaurs are huge, three to four times the size of the humans. And they are marching to attack. Why? It has to do with their water supply. To avoid a war, you must find out the problem with the water. Other human characters are Prince Cedric, a little girl Caity, and a General (the "greatest General ever!").

You also have a "hoopoe" which is a bird helper you get to name. Prince Cedric has the useful ability to create fire. You have an "all-seeing pendant" with which you uncover enchanted areas, and a "magic map" which is just a display of locations you can transport to. By now you should have the flavor.

The problem I have with this is - SPOILER ALERT - the minotaurs, with their deep voices, could easily destroy the humans if they were actually the vicious beasts they appear to be . However, it turns out they are really intelligent, even sensitive creatures who are wiling to cooperate to resolve a problem. So the story loses some steam midway through the demo.

The game play is very easy, I was never in doubt about what to do and the mini games were simplified so that they should not be a challenge to anyone.

This Collector's Edition (CE) has 46 well hidden collectible fairies, nine achievements, but only three fixed difficulty levels.

The artwork is well done, it is a very pleasing game to look at, heavy on the greens and rendered in a fantasy style. I hope I am not being sexist by stating my opinion that this will appeal more to female players than to male. I base that opinion primarily on the story and drawing style (and maybe the laundry thing). I found the game to be nice, but not too interesting.

Three nice, friendly minotaurs for The Golden Age

- Edited to conform with forum spoiler rules

Edited on 11/01/2014 at 6:56:28 PM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Nov 1, 14 2:09 PM
As you can see you have another hit on your hands. This story line is my favorite of all the games you but out. I have bought every series will as long as keep coming. I wish some of the games were this good!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 1, 14 7:48 PM
Hi all. Been out of town Trick or Treating with the Grandkids, so now trying to catch up. We have another addition to the Awakening series. I have 5 already. Graphics were very nice. Colors were very bright and clear, not a lot of blues and pinks for a change. Game play was good, no problems anywhere and filled my large screen quite well. Music was pretty much the same as all the others and did get annoying very quickly. Not a lot of sound FX, but what there was, was well done. Voice overs weren't too bad, but fell a bit short of emotion or believability. Voice of the head Minotaur was really nice.

There is a jump map, helpful, but it is quite bland. Could not see a Strategy Guide anywhere either. HOPs are very few and far between. Items are not hard to find. Colors are true and HOPs are clean and clear. No eye strain here. Puzzles, well now, we have lots and lots of puzzles. I found none of them particularly challenging, very simple actually.

The only collectibles I found are fairies. They are very small and very light in color. Not at all easy to spot. This is the challenging part of the game. Either they are not in every scene, or they blend into the scenery too well for my eyes to see them.

I did like the time period of this game, and the characters, but this one just wasn't as good as the other in the series. It was very disappointing for me as a CE. It just didn't have the challenge I expect from this dev. Yes, I liked it, but not enough to get the CE version. I have been known to change my mind when the SE comes out, but then I only purchase the SE version. I will put this one in my puddle and wait. I'm sure this will appeal to beginners and those who like more puzzles than HOPs, but that isn't me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 1, 14 9:23 PM
This is a pretty good game, IMO. Graphics were clear, and the colors were more than the sweet pinks and blues of other fairy tale games. And I don't think that we have had a storyline with minotaurs yet, or at least for a very long time. After so many games that give you the ability to customize playability, I am surprised that this game didn't offer it. This game could have stood on its own if the references to the other Awakening games were changed. However, after 5 games in the series and supposed ending to the series, this one seems like an afterthought. I will probably get the SE when it comes out.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 2, 14 4:32 AM
i am perhaps the lonely one but the first "awakening" games filled my 23" screen!not this and the black brs are really measuring 3cm each
the ratio become wright in windowed mode!for me,not as weel done as others!it is my opinion

Go to: