TGT: Detective Agency

TGT: Detective Agency

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 9, 09 12:07 AM
My goodness - a HO game! Downloaded already! Anyone know anything about it? Due to lack of HO games lately am replaying Madam Fate so it has a lot to live up to!!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:TGT: Detective Agency

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 9, 09 12:18 AM
I've only played for about 15 minutes, but thus far I'm underwhelmed and will be saving my next game credit for Flux Family Adventures (unless something else very interesting pops up before then).

But perhaps first impressions are hasty, so I will sit back and read what others have to say about it.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Apr 9, 09 12:20 AM
What a nerd I am, I am all ready stuck at the buttons. Help!!! I don't know why they don't put a button on these games to skip these puzzles. If you get stuck, you have to hope someone can help you get un-stuck. Thanks

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Apr 9, 09 12:23 AM
Downloading now! Fingers crossed. Been waiting all week since picman said there were 2 new HO's on the way. I went into my account history in desperation and played Sherlock Holmes and the Persian Carpet 'cause I could'nt remember it. OMG forgot how tiny (that was 'tiny@ by the way) everything was small And dark. And difficult. And just plain daft at times. Anyway that's my download ready. Good gaming everyone.

coco1953
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,580 Posts

[Post New]by coco1953 on Apr 9, 09 12:24 AM
Robilyn wrote:What a nerd I am, I am all ready stuck at the buttons. Help!!! I don't know why they don't put a button on these games to skip these puzzles. If you get stuck, you have to hope someone can help you get un-stuck. Thanks

If you hit the help button it has a skip on it. Yes I have already had to use the help button.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 9, 09 12:25 AM
There is in fact a skip option for that puzzle, but I don't remember what I did to trigger that option being available (talk about short-term memory). Hopefully you have found it since you posted.

Oh, thank you, coco! Yes, you and me both.

Edited on 04/09/2009 at 12:28:21 AM PST

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 9, 09 12:26 AM
Howatch wrote:I've only played for about 15 minutes, but thus far I'm underwhelmed

Exactly how I feel. Played fifteen minutes and didn't desire to go any further. Left the rest for hubby to try. Not a game for me.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Apr 9, 09 12:46 AM
Does anyone know how long this game is? Thanks

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 9, 09 1:03 AM
At only 27 MB, it can't be very long. That's a really small download for an HO.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 9, 09 1:06 AM
Well, I have played about 20 min. It's OK, no thrill. My only real criticism at this point is the Hint system. I tried it out. The good news is, I used some Hints and yet they did not seem to decrease. I had 9 Hints, used 3 and still had 9, I did discover that the Hint seems to constantly blink but when you get to an object you need it blinks faster. The down side to that is, I was looking for what later turned out to be a camera (this was in the silhouette mode). I had no idea what that rectangle was. The Hint started blinking madly over the cowboy boots. It was obvious to me that the boots were not the rectangular object I was looking for. I had found everything else so I only needed the one thing. I dropped that Hint and looked around some more. I picked up the Hint again and this time it did NOT blink on the boots - Huh? I eventually found the camera.

Hidden Objects, no so bad, old fashioned type of junk pile game. Hints - Boo! There are plenty of Hints but the method they use to find things is not too good.

I only got to the one Mini, the buttons. I nearly had it beat but checked the Help to see what it would do. It repeats the instructions but does give you the Skip option.

I would maybe get this if it were on Felixes list (I really want a key chain) but will wait for a better HO later this week that probably will be a "Favorite".

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 9, 09 1:14 AM
phatkhat wrote:At only 27 MB, it can't be very long. That's a really small download for an HO.

Thought that too and then wondered what relationship does the mb count have to do with quality/length/different locations of the games?

Edited on 04/09/2009 at 1:15:06 AM PST

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by raystownlady on Apr 9, 09 1:26 AM
Not too impressed.You can collect up to 20 hints but rarely need them.Mini games are very simple.Can't think the game will last too long all the bigger the file is.I will pass on this one and hope The Flux Family is as good as the reviews fellow fishies have given on it.It's been awhile waiting for a good HO.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Apr 9, 09 1:45 AM
Just finished my hour. Not so good. Translation leaves a lot to be desired. A bird cage is not a CELL (and there's another that I can't remember) that makes finding the objects a bit difficult but since you build up to a max of 20 hints and there's tons of wee magnifying glasses you get as much help as you want. I used them to speed up the game. Won't be buying this unless there's another HO drought. Putting my faith in Flux Family. Do you think it will be TGT tomorrow?

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 9, 09 1:48 AM
Played a half hour of it. Pretty easy, including the mini games. (The skip option is at the bottom of the instruction box when you click hint, if you need to skip.) Looks like another one of the Eastern European games, which is okay, but they do tend to be easier, I think. Objects were pretty easy to find, and plenty of hints. I liked the little hint glass, which is the old "you're getting warmer" type of hint!

Really liked the soundtrack! Nice jazz, and some upbeat instrumental pop. I usually turn the sound down quickly as I get tired of the music, but this one I liked. Maybe in a pinch I would buy this one...

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 9, 09 1:50 AM
Wow.

Ok, first thing I noticed that didn't bode well was the instructuions had an error. It said to "right click" a location on the map to go there. Surely not, says I, and yep, they meant left. The translation thing became a running theme. Terrible translation, which is amusing during the story line (looking for a He named Karen ) but pretty bad during gameplay. What the heck is "cornerwise"? Did they mean diagonal? I am refering to the button puzzle. I had no duplicates in any row or column and the corners were all different so I suppose so. I skipped it. Most of the mini-game instructions were difficult to suss, but the games were nothing new so didn't matter. Then there was the HO scenes. Harken to the naming of objects: cell = cage, map = playing card, plate = bowl of rice...

I was also bothered by the fact that each scene tended to say what you were looking for, such as tools to fix the lights or pearls for the necklace, but in fact you didn't look for those things at all. There was also mention in the instructions about finding things to solve puzzles that would be found in your... valise I think it was? So I wonder if this was originally intended to have inventory puzzle aspects and that was dropped, or I didn't get to it in the hour demo, but given the size of the file I doubt the latter.

On the positive side No Timer and ridiculously abundant hints. Chances are, however, you won't need the hints except to find mis-translated objects. That's how I found my map/playing card etc. Also there are skips on the mini-games, which is good (see "cornerwise" comment above) as they seem to be too easy or too hard.

I don't hate this game. If I was feeling ill and wanted something easy and mindless I might get it. Or if it shows up in Felix's Faves. Or if HOs were outlawed and I had to get my fix on the black market... So while not even close to Poodlebear Approval it's not a double down thumber.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 9, 09 1:58 AM
catsholidayhome wrote:
phatkhat wrote:At only 27 MB, it can't be very long. That's a really small download for an HO.

Thought that too and then wondered what relationship does the mb count have to do with quality/length/different locations of the games?

It depends on the kind of game. In a Match 3 a game can be small and go one for days. In an HO all objects you are finding have "intelligence" and they tend to be a lot bigger file size wise. Add Inventory type puzzles and things really start to add up. But what primarily drives up the size of games is the graphics. The more detailed, more colors used and clarity the bigger. Also sound. Rich varied music = size.

So this being an HO, even with so-so muddy graphics in HO scenes and very simple illustrated flat color cut scenes, I'm still guessing it will be short at 27MB. I'll be interested to have that confirmed if anyone buys.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 9, 09 1:59 AM
Thank you poodle, do agree with you and feel as though we are in a HO draught (as weeharleyboy said) so might just have to go for it!!! It is easy and it will wile away a couple of hours (hopefully) although have a feeling the mini-games are the ones that are supposed to "pad out" the time.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Apr 9, 09 2:02 AM
I liked this game. I think the graphics are great and it is the type of HO I enjoy. I don't know that I will buy it, I am waiting to see what else is on the horizon. Maybe I will save it for a rainy day, when I just want to sip a hot cup of coffee and relax.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 9, 09 2:10 AM
Interesting on the mb explanation Poodle - so the fact that never have the music on counts against me!!! Thank you for explaining - thought it was along those lines but wasn't sure when comparing RTR with the larger file games.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 9, 09 2:23 AM
OMG. HO game 101.

Way too easy. I did all the mini puzzles in 30 seconds to 1 minute. Seriously. HO are easy to find. As stated, there are mislabeled items. The hints max at 20, but when I used one (for the mislabeled items), sometimes the count would go down to 19, sometimes it stayed at 20. My game ended in the middle of decoding the letter. I bet I was more then 1/2 way through the game.

Not for me.

I hope BF starts getting in some good games soon or I will have to cancel my game club account since my credits are stacking up with nothing good to buy.

Go to: