cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Okay, how long until...

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 9, 09 7:02 AM
BFG gets Avernum 5? It only came out last year so I figure it might be a while, but I hope BF is going to go for it eventually as I am on too tight a budget to pay more than the beloved $6.99!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Re:Okay, how long until...

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 25, 09 6:28 PM
Oh come on, surely someone has some idea about this - like maybe one of the moderators? Let me try another form of the question - can anyone say for sure that BFG will NOT be getting Avernum 5?

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Apr 25, 09 8:37 PM
Sorry, I'm an avid Aveyond fan and waiting for #3 (may/june release) though I've read Avernum is a good rpg, I have not tried it yet.
But, small irrelevant talk aside, your best bet for an answer would be customer service.

[Post New]by SubDave on Apr 29, 09 10:39 AM
cat52 wrote:Oh come on, surely someone has some idea about this - like maybe one of the moderators? Let me try another form of the question - can anyone say for sure that BFG will NOT be getting Avernum 5?

I don't know if you will get an official response. But my guess is that if BFG hasn't already gotten Avernum 5, then they aren't planning on getting it.

I would like to see more games like this as part of the BFG line-up, but I get the feeling that big-file adventures like this don't sell as well as other games.

Dave

johndaytrader
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by johndaytrader on Apr 29, 09 3:16 PM
Avernum 5 is a great game. I bought it from the developer Spiderweb software and am awaiting Avernum 6 the last in the series apparently.

It is a long involving immersive RPG with a great story. The graphics are old hat but I found they didn't matter as the gameplay and story are sooooooooo good.

Cheers
Joie

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on May 9, 09 12:17 PM
SubDave wrote:
cat52 wrote:Oh come on, surely someone has some idea about this - like maybe one of the moderators? Let me try another form of the question - can anyone say for sure that BFG will NOT be getting Avernum 5?

I don't know if you will get an official response. But my guess is that if BFG hasn't already gotten Avernum 5, then they aren't planning on getting it.

I would like to see more games like this as part of the BFG line-up, but I get the feeling that big-file adventures like this don't sell as well as other games.

Dave

No official response but I bet you are right. "Casual" gamers apparently run screaming from something labeled RPG - and then spend months playing Virtual Villagers waiting for the next installment so they can do more of the same...go figure.

It isn't even like Avernum is a modern RPG - it's turn-based!

It took a long time for BF to get Avernum 4, I'm hoping but not expecting...might have to save my sheckels and get it at Spiderweb.

gammafish
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gammafish on May 11, 09 2:06 PM
The creater of the Avernum / Exile games, Jeff Vogel, recently started up his own blog, where he explains that his games simply aren't fitting the economics of discount game providers like Bigfish (lowered profit per game for the benefit of a larger audience).
You'll have to purchase the sequals directly from his site if you want them, I'm afraid.
I've played pretty much all of his games and they're all really fun. He's about to start making Avernum 6 which is reportedly going to be the last of the series.
Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders are neat! And, they think you're cute!!

[Post New]by allwaysjudee on Aug 7, 09 5:17 AM
I love this kind of turn based RPG. I've really missed them!

I found the first three games at his site in a CD bundle - just wondering if I should order it or not. Seeing how huge Avernum 4 is, I'm not sure I want to invest that much time into so many of these games.

Does it add much to the story if you do the first 3 episodes? Do you keep the same team throughout, or does it start fresh each time? Same question for the story, I'm assuming each tome has it's own story and goals - and 4 can be played without having seen the previous ones. But are they set in a timeliine of events? In other words, while each version tells its own story, do the episodes form a cohesive sequence, like chapters in a book, or are they more like separate stories in the same universe?

I can understand how this kind of game might not be profitable for the author when sold at 6.99. I imagine selling Avernum 4 was a trial go, and he just decided it wasn't worth it - though I imagine it also helped more people discover the whole Avernum Universe.

I do wish we'd seem more RPG games here, though. Nothing fancy. I don't mind the older graphics, what I like is having a real story to follow.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Aug 7, 09 6:29 AM
I confess, whilst awaiting the launch of Aveyond 3, I D/L'd and played the demo to Avernum 4....looks to be a long and involved rpg, my favorite genre, but I was extremely daunted by the enormous challenge of it all. My son took a look and told me, if I should buy it, to expect to spend a lengthy time learning the ropes and to not be disappointed if it isn't as "cutesy" (story and graphic wise) as the Aveyonds. Who knows, I may yet take the plunge and purchase and save it for the cold, stormy days of winter.
On a side note, I think RPG's are slowly coming to be an acceptible genre here in the pond. It would certainly help developers sell more of their creations IF they would take the plunge and realize that amongst the older set of players (and who have lots more petty cash) a well developed humerous story line, easier quests, attractive, chivalrous and eloquent characters, tastefully executed and non-graphic battle scenes coupled with that MOST important feature of all, MOUSE CONTROL, would help propel their popularity.

[Post New]by MissSea on Dec 31, 10 4:52 PM
memaw, try it! You won't be disappointed! I found it while waiting for Aveyond updates and I'm hooked now. The next two games are really intense, and though the graphics aren't cutesy like Aveyond, I feel the storyline more than makes up for the retro graphics.

Go to: