LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Tacticians, please help a damsel in distress

[Post New]by LAndersen on Nov 3, 14 8:35 AM
That would be me, in case you're wondering.

I just cannot get past Island 7. Any tips?

I quite like using the dwarf canons, but can only upgrade them to dwarf turrets. What do I need to do to get the next upgrade?

On the other hand, are watch towers more effective? And if you use those, is it any good going the "poison arrow" way? As far as I can see, they cause less damage to enemies.

I usually have a mixture, with the odd golem and elemental to stop the flow and give the canons, towers etc. a chance to do their stuff. And I also use my dragon quite a lot.

Also ammo, fire books, the apples etc.

But as some point I always get overwhelmed by the sheer number of monsters, and especially the wheely things and the golems (they look like aliens to me) get through my defences.

So dear clever fishies, I hope you can help me. Any kind of tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited on 11/03/2014 at 8:35:52 AM PST

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Tacticians, please help a damsel in distress

[Post New]by LAndersen on Nov 3, 14 8:38 AM
Oh, and by the way - I am aware of the glitch which means I have to open Skills etc., before commencing battle.

BlueStarFish
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

[Post New]by BlueStarFish on Nov 3, 14 10:47 AM
Hello LAndersen

On this level, the dwarf cannons only upgrade once, so I did not find them very useful. I usually put in a couple, but only as extra firepower, not as the main line of defence.

I use the Watch Tower upgraded to Scorpion (with poison) sparingly, only 3 or 4 places. Most importantly on the spot nearest to the main portal, so to be able to hit the blasted Ice bears - those fast blue buggers. They are fast enough to survive most things, but are very susceptible to poison! Also this tower will deal a lot of damage to anything flying.
Also put one Scorpoion along the horizontal path at the bottom, where it can shoot both at enemies coming from the main portal above, and it can turn around and shoot at the secondary portal. I usually put it on the second spot from the left.

I also put Golems, one of each kind, at the intersection, so on spots 3 and 4 from the left at the bottom, between the two paths. Upgrade to the max.
As an afterthought I put in a couple of cannons to the right of these, just so that those spots are in use.
I also put in a golem near the stream, simply because there is a third spot a little outside the others, with a third Scorpion around here.

But mainly I use Ice Towers upgraded to Ballista, with as many Ice Wave, Enhanced Frost and Icing upgrades I can use. On most other available spots along the main route.
The Ice Ballistas have the power to stop the wheel-thingys, and all that Ice magic will slow them right down. Same as with the huge wave of green dinosaurs that comes with the wheels, the Ice Ballistas will make mince-meat out of them while they are busy with the golems.

Also, as you say - help out with Fire Books and the dragon's magic.

In order to get energy to build all the upgrades, have a lot of Energy Jars, and use them! I think I use about 10 jars on this level, but as you get towers upgraded to the max, you suddenly find you have excess energy, that can be transferred back into jars when you get above 1000 energy.

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Nov 3, 14 12:10 PM
Hi BlueStarFish

Thank you for the useful tips.

I must say, I haven't really tried the Ice Towers. Again, I wasn't sure how much damage they actually inflict. But now I'll definitely have to try them on Island 7.

I'll also buy a lot of energy jars. Luckily there's a glitch in the game, which means that instead of 2000 the game only subtracts 20 a piece!

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Nov 3, 14 12:27 PM
I am finding this totally confusing. I have been working just with the green dragon so far. What is the purpose of the Red and blue dragons.
So many different monsters and little advice on what works best against them.
And 29- 49 attach waves ???!!! What The!!!
I have been able to work out that you get potions and some money through the match 3 game, but really!!!! Until I found out about the Store Warehouse Glitch I could not get enough potions to get enough Fireball books.

I have played other types of Tower games and the number of different monsters is less and hints are given about how best to combat them.
This is badly lacking in this "game" .
eg. Substance - Nasty mucus well protected from magic? So what works best against it?
Garbage Crab seems to be very resistant and moves quickly.
At least the Monster Lab is slow enough that a lot of fireballs can have some effect.

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Nov 8, 14 6:15 AM
Right, I've officially given up on this game. It is simply too hard. I mean, I've tried island 7 so many times on the so-called casual level (I can't find anything "casual" about it), and still I cannot beat it. I almost did it just now, only to be pitted at the post AFTER the sorceress BLEW UP THE MONSTER GATE! My main problem was waiting for the book of fire to "recharge".

I was so frustrated and angry, and also a bit sad, because, as someone said in another post, this game has so much potential. I enjoy the graphics, the music, the story, among other things ... But it is full of glitches, bugs and is far too difficult.

As unclepaul said somewhere: "when you have a so called Casual (Easy level), make sure that a win is possible for even the limited gameplayer".

Now, I consider myself a seasoned game player. And from scanning this forum, it seems that a lot of even very hardcore gamers have a difficult time.

I might give it another look-in, if a patch becomes available.

But on the other hand, if island 7 is this difficult, the coming levels are hardly going to be any less frustrating?

Edited on 11/08/2014 at 6:18:16 AM PST

dancehawk
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by dancehawk on Nov 8, 14 11:11 AM
when you defeat the guy and you get victory is that the end of the game? if not how do I get other islands to come in? and what is the mushroom island for?

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Nov 15, 14 12:52 AM
Finally after lot of perserverence and the use of the Shop / Warehous Glitch I managed to get all islands with just the green dragon (the red and blue dragon islands are apparently bonus levels) .
I used the match 3 to build up potions and buy about 20 basket of apples (these help your dragon to go beserk for a short while.)
Then go to the Store / Shop and buy Book of Fire then sell in Warehouse for profit. Repeat til have 20 million and then buy a lot of Book of Fire, Improved Ammo and Jars of Energy. Then you are read fo battle. Use the Jar of Energy ASAP as it provides about 200 units of energy fairly quickly for use in building and upgrading towers.
For Island 7 I built one tower near the mai source and then 4 opposite near the stream and upgraded them. More towers near the T intersection above and below. Get the dradon to sit on a tower nearest to the secondary source of monsters. This can be destroyed by the dragon so you only face monsters from one direction. You can also use a combination with the Book of Fire against that secondary source as well.

[Post New]by NorthStorm on Nov 18, 14 12:34 PM
LAnderson - did you update your game after Amegami fixed some of the bugs? Once I reinstalled the game I was able to do that level with no problem.

mickisue
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mickisue on May 14, 15 8:24 PM
I know I'm late to the thread, but I wonder if LAnderson had the simple misunderstanding that I had...not realizing that the dragon could sit on top of the various towers. Click on the tower, and see the symbol of the dragon's foot.) The more the dragon breathes fire at enemies (as opposed to burning up rocks), the higher its rating and the more it's able to damage enemies quickly.

Once I figured out that (by watching a walkthrough on http://myhomestock.net/walkthrough/tower-defense/9/Risen-Dragons, I was off and flying through that level; even got all three difficulty levels complete.

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Jun 14, 15 1:18 AM
Just saw that this game is among the highest rated for the last year, so I was wondering if something had been fixed. So I'm back to check.

Mickisue, my poor little dragon got rushed off this wings flying from tower to tower, and wherever else he could perch, in order to help out.

North Storm - I can't remember whether I've updated or not, to be honest. I've got to check. But after quitting on the game in November last year, I haven't played it and actually deleted it from my PC. I know the saved games are usually still around if you download it again, so if I find I played the bugged version, I just might give it a go again. Although I'm not usually a sucker for punishment

Edited on 06/14/2015 at 5:04:09 AM PST

Go to: