catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 9, 14 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 11/09/2014 at 5:19:31 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here!

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 9, 14 5:14 AM

Hi There, I'm Death And I Need Your Help!

Setting: You're a detective who must help DEATH to restore the "balance" because some people are able to flee from DEATH - and if not enough people die, then not enough new souls will be born - or something. I say "or something" because in the first chapter it seems the problem is actually that TOO MANY people are dying, not too few. But did you come here for logical stories?

There are several "gizmos" in this game, a fact which immediately caused my "Steve, you won't like this game" antennae to pop up. There is a magic ball which serves as a transportable map - OK so far. Then there is some sort of "developer" apparatus for film etc. Next, there is a key-making device. There is also a device that lets you "talk to the dead." That was only during the demo, and I suspect there will be more should you choose to continue.

The drawing style is typical of this series, colorful but very dark. The voices were very American sounding - the problem is, the first chapter takes place in Paris so it seems out of place and fails to provide much of a local flavor.

The game play is fairly easy, made more difficult only by trying to determine the use for weirdly shaped handles and levers. Hidden object scenes are standard lists, interaction needed for two or three items. Puzzles give the initial appearance of a challenge, but actual solutions are easy. There are several memory puzzles during the demo.

There are only three levels of difficulty and they're not customizable.

If you're still interested, for comparison the CE version has 3 collectible figures which can be found in the first chapter. There are also 52 collectible cards, a bonus level and a secret room (oops, can't tell you about that).

Honestly, I could not wait for the demo to end. Not to buy the game though, just to escape the tedium. Using the devices made it necessary to transport back and forth to your office too often, interrupting the play and story. The story itself was not appealing or sensible enough for my taste in order to overcome the plain voices and easy play.

I'll give this three for effort, but I don't want a memento.

Edited on 11/09/2014 at 5:22:26 AM PST

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Nov 9, 14 5:20 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Riddles of Fate: Memento Mori .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 9, 14 2:48 PM
steve_san wrote:...There are several "gizmos" in this game, a fact which immediately caused my "Steve, you won't like this game" antennae to pop up.
<snip>
Honestly, I could not wait for the demo to end. Not to buy the game though, just to escape the tedium. Using the devices made it necessary to transport back and forth to your office too often, interrupting the play and story. The story itself was not appealing or sensible enough for my taste in order to overcome the plain voices and easy play.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above. Death's voice sounded like just an ordinary guy and a tenor at that -- seriously spoiled the whole effect! They should have made him talk through a metal vacuum cleaner tube, like my kids used to do when they wanted to make their voices sound spooky.
Not a good effort on the pachyderm's part. Two monkeys.

Edited on 11/09/2014 at 10:03:41 PM PST

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Nov 12, 14 1:28 PM
Well, each to his own. My take is that someone read "Sandman" graphic novels and got their basic casting ideas from Gaiman - who has Death being a punk-rock chick, btw. And possibly saw the episode of "Twilight Zone" where Death was played by Robert Redford (young and looking fine, and a tenor to boot)! I like off-beat casting.

I like this developer's games generally. This SE was rather short, and Chaos was not foreshadowed enough, and that blasted map was put in on purpose to annoy me LOL.

Still the best translations in the market. I hope to continue seeing BF&E collaborations, even though I have to give this one like 3.5 out of 5.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Nov 26, 14 1:20 PM
i would give this 4 out of 10 way to short wish id known how short before i wasted credit but it looks good

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 3, 15 12:24 PM
Based on completed game: +

As always, details are beyond brilliant in all scenes, cut-scenes to create that perfect morbid setting. Story revolves around finding those who've managed to cheat 'ol Blue Eyes aka Death (not a bad-lookin' dude....for when he comes-a-calling!). Interesting concept and decent story. Good to great puzzles (some lack proper instructions). Some key-cutting required (I'm serious) throughout the game.

Transport map doesn't stay open at local locations & each click results in a blinding whorl of flashing lights (your eyes could join death if you keep 'em open). Clues spread out to extend game play = back-and-forth= a sad gimmick not expected of this Dev. Easy HOPs and mini-games. The introduction of 'ol Red Eyes aka Chaos (ha, ha, I know!) was very poor, as if just thrown in for some twist to the story.

This game had tons of potential. All that visual brilliance is lost w/ tedious and boring game play. Almost as if CE would be a better buy - the extras might actually distract from how this game ends in chaos.

Edited on 04/03/2015 at 12:25:29 PM PST

Go to: