catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Cursed Island: Mask of Baragus here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 10, 14 1:07 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 11/10/2014 at 5:17:50 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Cursed Island: Mask of Baragus here!

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 10, 14 3:48 AM
OK, so the graphics are not the best in the world and the voice overs are simply appalling (I mean the accents) but I did enjoy the demo and it actually plays like your basic seek and find with HO scenes thrown in and some very frustrating mini-games like those darn lights in the fuse-box which I had to eventually skip. Reminds me of the old IHOGs we use to have. By the way, if you suffer from fear of bugs and creepy crawlies, be warned, they are part of your collectables along with some weird looking plants that you find along the way. The story has you looking for your Father who had dissapeared and you end up on a mysterious island where everything seems to be alive.

Not overtly challenging, HO scenes are pretty straightforward, junk-piled with just a hint of interaction. To help you along, you have a journal and a map and I managed to get up to the island where the fuse box on the door had me stumped, one of those rolling lights that I simply hate. There are achievements to earn along the way and as far as SE games go, I do think today's game is worth a credit or a game club, which I have plenty and havent used them in a while. The game has old graphics, blurred images and the brown hue is just so passé but I did enjoy the puzzles and the story is interesting enough for me to continue. I have a feeling that this game will be short and highly forgettable after a while but as I have the afternoon off, I will splurge and play it out. Have a good day everyone.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Nov 10, 14 5:18 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Cursed Island: Mask of Baragus here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Cursed Island: Mask of Baragus.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Nov 10, 14 9:53 AM
I'll give my review and recommendation based on the glitch being fixed! Yes, I was one who had the newspaper clipping pop up to stay, covering the scene and halting my progress.

But... before that this was a game I was going to buy! So, if you can get past that durned newspaper clipping, it's a good game!

My worst complaint, and it's a big one, besides the glitch, is the untrue claim on the "challenging" mode. It promised "Glints and sparkles don't appear." Yes, they do! Huge masses of sparkles point out the HOS.

Speaking of HOS. They are not fancy and interactive, and I thought the lists were much to large, but they were fun. I didn't think they were junk-piles, the stuff in the scenes fit the scene. So Vlad had a messy storage area!
I enjoyed what PUZZLES I got to. Just the right amount of challenge, and while nothing new, altered to fit the theme of the game.

There are stone plates (one is missing) that we use to help us. So far I only "tamed" the weather, although it still seemed to render me unconscious! The stones are for air, light, ground, water, and the unknown one missing.

There are also collectible flora and fauna.

I love the graphics. I love the movement of the characters (for instance the bartender going to get the carton), they are very well done.

If the glitch gets fixed (which I doubt, since it's a straight to SE on BFG) I'll buy it.

Edited on 11/10/2014 at 10:12:29 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 10, 14 2:27 PM
WE'RE OFF ON AN EXPEDITION WITH THIS LITTLE HIDDEN TREASURE OF A GAME

It is another Grumpy Cat Monday (following Grumpy Red Queen Saturday) and on the leftover menu we have a delightful adventure SE game. It is daughter Casey to the rescue of her father in this game. A legend of a curse propels the archaeologist Professor Levitsky to an island to uncover its truths. His party vanishes and his daughter must travel to the island to save him.

LEVELS: 3 - Casual (with glints and sparkles) , Challenging (no glints and sparkles), Extreme (no hints).

MAP: There is a map which is decent for an SE game. Yeah!

INVENTORY: You collect most of the inventory by searching for it within the scenes of the game. It is not interactive but most of the SE's do not provide interactive inventory items.

PUZZLES: The puzzles are fairly easy and a variation of those we have had in the past - the ones I encountered were electrical in nature.

HOP SCENES: Standard theme- based junk piles. Slightly interactive without the variation of CE games. You are penalized with a smoky screen if you click too many times.

EXTRA GOODIES - AWARDS - 18. You must find 30 beetles, and rare plants. You also get awards for solving HOP scenes without help, solving mini puzzles without hints etc.
BONES - Used in the game when needed. Light- Ground-Air-Water-Life to maneuver you in the gamne. They are "helpers" in a sense, the difference being they are not "thrown in" to be cute and adorable. They are a reasonable part of and an intrinsic part of the game .

GRAPHICS: Well done - Very realistic character portrayals. More realistic than most of the SE games. They are sharp and clear on my computer

COMMENTS: An excellent way to use a coupon. I found this old school game better entertainment than Saturday's game. This is definitely more of an adventure game than a HOP game. It has very realistic graphics with written dialogue as well as voiceovers.

NOW TO RATE THIS CURSED GAME: I RATE THIS GAME 5 CURSES OUT OF 5 CURSES FOR AN SE.

Edited on 11/10/2014 at 2:35:39 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 10, 14 9:15 PM
There are 3 Difficulty modes: Casual, Challenging, Extreme. (In Extreme mode there are no hints and no glints).
You cannot change difficulty mode once you have started the game.

There is widescreen, a choice of a custom and the system cursor, and voice-over.

Shortly into the game you will receive some Bone Plates. With these you can summon different elements to solve problems.

Your Map is at the left. It shows you where you are, where actions are available, and areas where you have finished. The map can also be used to jump.

Also at the left is your Diary, which also holds your Tasks.

The HOS are Lists with some interaction. The items in them are large and easy to find.

The Hint button takes 30 seconds to refill in Casual mode. I found it a little too large and too animated.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 55 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The Inventory stays permanently on top.

--- --- ---

There are Achievements.

There are Collectables: Flowers (6) and Scarab beetles.

The HOS and puzzles come pretty frequently.

The graphics are OK, in the "adventure-light" sort of way. A little too 3-D for me.

The voices of the characters (except the voice for the main character) were terrible. I think that the speakers (or just one speaker) wasn't sure what accent to give to them, and it all sounded a bit unreal. The only voice that sounded normal was that of my character.

The Story: Casey (that's you) finds out that her father is missing on a remote island that carries a curse.

There are a few inconsistencies, I thought: the first newspaper I picked up was dated 1965. The second one was dated 2013, but the stories are about the same people.

Also, Casey enters a bar, saying: this is my dad's favourite Pub. Do Americans call any drinking establishments "Pub"? Apart from the "Irish" Pubs, of course.

The car she drove in, and everything else made me think that this game plays in the 1930s or 1940s, not the 1960s and definitely not in the 21st century.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 11, 14 1:44 AM
Okay, it starts out that our heroine hears that her father is missing on an expedition to a jungle-covered island, so she quickly heads out the door to search for him. She travels light. She doesn't take anything with her but her keys and her purse. When she gets to the harbor she decides to travel even lighter. She leaves her purse in the car but takes the keys with her. Maybe she thinks they'll come in handy if she needs to stab someone with them. Why she leaves her purse in an unlocked car with the door standing wide open, we aren't told.

So anyway, she lets this drunken sailor friend of her father take her out to the island in his fishing boat, but the fog is too thick, so he tells her she'll have to row herself to the island, which she does. I guess she still has her keys with her. Or maybe she gave them to the drunken sailor, trusting that he would lock up her car with her purse still inside. Dunno.

So while she's rowing, some kind of cyclone thing does something to her and she passes out in the boat. This is when we realize that not only did she rush out taking only her purse and her keys, but she is clad in black kid gloves, a straight skirt and high heels!! Thankfully, at least the shoes aren't stilettos! When she gets to the island, she miraculously recovers from her swoon and tramps around the jungle in her high heels, picking up this, that, and some other things that she thinks she might need, and solving puzzles and mini-games.

Clever, right? Can't you just picture Claudette Colbert in this role?

Anyway, after about the umpteenth mini-game, I gave up, leaving her on the island to search and solve by herself. We can only hope she'll find a pair of boots and some snake repellent.

So I'm giving it two for luck. She's going to need it.

Edited on 11/11/2014 at 1:47:12 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 11, 14 4:39 AM
just got done playing this at another site and I find it hard to remember already . I think I was in agreement with JTF, it's an alright game, but no reason for it to be a premium. It didn't have a bonus chapter so you're not really missing anything with this version. I do remember I liked the beginning/middle part of it, but by the end was ready for it to be over. Oh, I'm starting to remember more as I type. I remember I skipped one of the puzzles, had to get hubby to do another for for me, and was ready to skip another when I pressed the button a couple more times and got it. So the puzzles were decently hard. There were scarabs to collect. There was a bracelet you could use with the power of different elements. There was a jump map. The inventory use was fun, if I'm remembering the right game. The item wouldn't be the exact thing I thought I was looking for but I'd try it anyway, and it would work. Like if you had to unscrew something you might get by with something other than a screwdriver. Sorry this review wasn't better but I was playing two games at a time and they kinda melded together in my mind I would recommend it if you're trying to use up a PCC, if you're hanging onto a GCC, I'd say wait for something better.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 11, 14 4:33 PM
I liked the game a lot. It's rough around the edges, there are spelling errors and clumsy dialog but the game is charming because of those faults. As beautiful as some of our big devs make their games, they're starting to run together in my mind since they're all so similar.

I enjoyed the accents and I thought Dad's voice in particular was very attractive... deep with an Eastern European growl to it. RWOAR!

One hint... if you're collecting "scarabs", make sure you pick them up first. If it's a pop-up and you grab the item first, it'll close and the bug is lost to you.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 12, 14 9:02 AM
I'm kind of teetering in the direction of getting this game on sale, but I have to see if the number of HOP's drives me crazy -- I've now had two. So I'll finish the demo and make my decision. What I like, despite it's utter inability to fit my widescreen, resulting in the egg shaped BF logo so that as soon as possible I shrunk the game so that it has wide bars on either side, but at least everything is in proportion: actual collectibles in an SE, but per other warnings, if in a pop up, click on them first, because you can't go back in once the pop up disappears. It's (sort of) a mystery, set who knows when, with newspaper clippings from (minimally) 1965 and 2013 and a car looking from the 1930's or 1940's. Bizarre. Also what woman decides she won't need her purse on her trip across to the island -- huh, what? Never. Someone remarked (roaming, I believe, and that was a funny review) that she's dressed in high heels, and she is, once you see her laid out in the boat, and that's pretty silly too, but the game has enough elements that it held my interest. However, I'll come back once I've played the full demo. I liked the fiery hint button, by the way.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Nov 14, 14 1:06 AM
With a lot of refining this could be a good game but it feels dated and a bit slow to react to commands. It irritates the hell out of me when I choose a game mode that states no sparkles but get them anyway - what is the point of choosing if this is ignored? The HOGs are dark and the graphics poor so finding items is not easy but they are fairly logical - a moth would be where you would expect it to be, etc. What is not logical is the game play which makes it very difficult to work out what to do next as the move would just seem stupid, so I used the hint far more than I would normally. eg. why would I need water to put out a fire so I can get a lighter to light another fire so I can light my torch...... with fire??

Also, you need to collect bugs but when you zoom in on a scene that has a bug in it, if you don't pick up the bug first before you pick up the object the scene closes automatically and although you know the bug is there you can't go back to get it.

Definately a no buy for me as there are more sophisticated games to spend my money on.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Nov 14, 14 5:56 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I liked the game a lot. It's rough around the edges, there are spelling errors and clumsy dialog but the game is charming because of those faults. As beautiful as some of our big devs make their games, they're starting to run together in my mind since they're all so similar.

I enjoyed the accents and I thought Dad's voice in particular was very attractive... deep with an Eastern European growl to it. RWOAR!

One hint... if you're collecting "scarabs", make sure you pick them up first. If it's a pop-up and you grab the item first, it'll close and the bug is lost to you.

Thank you snapnhiss. Because of your warning about the scarabs I was extra careful about looking for them....still missed some because I saw them a second too late. So annoying.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 6, 14 8:15 PM
Was okay. The bugs were hard to find cause if you clicked the item that was with them first it was too late.

Go to: