CynthyLV
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Managing the game for play

[Post New]by CynthyLV on Nov 10, 14 4:21 PM
To all AK players:

I have been playing the AK game for several months now, and after reading through the multiple entries in the forum, I am wondering if I am managing this game in the best way possible, i.e. to have enough energy and/or coins, as well as collectibles to satisfy the quests, and to be able to play for more than 15 minutes per day.

I am at Level 52, have 770 energy, 106 crystals, and $19,494. I check in daily for my reward, as well as checking in with the Hermit to see if he’s left anything for me. [So far only one gift.] I have 10 buildings left to get to L5, have only one site after Moonfell to open, and still have seven mini-windows to open in the existing sites.

I have successfully completed the Yura Festival, Leodici Crash Quests and the Gizmotek Festival quests; however, the Chest is killing me! I’ve fed the chest 60 times, and realize I have many more feedings to go, but have decided to forego spending energy just to feed the Chest for using my energy to do other things, and surreptitiously collect some of the things needed to feed the Chest.

I monitor the mini-games, and when I have an excessive amount of collectibles for that game, I play the game that gives me the largest return on XP and $. I periodically [and selectively] redeem collectibles [for mini-games]/stars [for energy]/coins [for energy], but NOT if I need certain collectibles to satisfy a quest or feed the Chest.

So, my question is, how is it possible for you to have such large amounts of coins, collectibles & stars? How are you getting enough energy to play if you are not redeeming the way I am? I really love this game [the art work is gorgeous], but am getting frustrated when I don’t have enough energy to play for more than 15 minutes a day! I understand this is how the developers have designed this game, to encourage you to purchase from them to play, but I admit I’m too cheap to pay.

I would appreciate any and all feedback from you and thank you in advance for responding to this post.

arwen777
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

Re:Managing the game for play

[Post New]by arwen777 on Nov 10, 14 9:36 PM
CyntyLV as it's been mentioned many times before, two are the most profitable features of AK. The auction and the fungus hut mini-game. Getting the first level of the card game to trophy 5 gives you 540 exp. and 860 bolgins each time you play. It used to give 1290 bolgins but they changed that about 3 months ago. You can still make some money though even with that reduction. Buying two cards (if you don't want to use those at your inventory) costs 600 bolgins so you gain 260 on every try. So four visits to fungus give you one salmon sandwich.

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 10, 14 10:43 PM
The other thing is what are you spending your crystals on?

Looking at it long term, the fungus soup is the absolute best value.

CynthyLV
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by CynthyLV on Nov 10, 14 11:23 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to auctions, so am pretty nervous about trying it. And I was spending my crystals on the fungus soup, but even that disappears quickly. I've stopped spending my crystals altogether in an effort to afford the pegacorn, and am slowing inching my way towards that magic 145!

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Nov 11, 14 12:04 AM
CynthyLV wrote:I'm a novice when it comes to auctions, so am pretty nervous about trying it. And I was spending my crystals on the fungus soup, but even that disappears quickly. I've stopped spending my crystals altogether in an effort to afford the pegacorn, and am slowing inching my way towards that magic 145!

I would forget the purchase of Pegacorn for now. All you get are quests to make him better, he has no other value I'm afraid. I would, for now, get your energy to as near zero as possible, then purchase the pot of honey (35 crystals or so?) - you get your energy bar topped up to max, plus another 30 points. If you can afford the 100 crystal soup then that gives you 100 points on your energy bar.
Also, for now, forget the Dark Chest. If you have other Quests to do - get on with those, just at your own pace.
Fungus Hut is now very ploddy, and unless you enjoy the game, it will become a very tedious aspect of making money.
The Auction is a must. Make a note of the repetitive collectibles Dark Chest has been asking you for, and avoid putting those at Auction. There are loads more rare collectibles you can put up, also not so rare ones can be a steady source of income. Use the Buy Now option as it's quick (if you prefer). A little practise and you will soon see it as part of your daily routine.
Happy gaming.

siberlene
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by siberlene on Nov 11, 14 1:05 AM
CynthyLV wrote:I'm a novice when it comes to auctions, so am pretty nervous about trying it. And I was spending my crystals on the fungus soup, but even that disappears quickly. I've stopped spending my crystals altogether in an effort to afford the pegacorn, and am slowing inching my way towards that magic 145!

I wouldn't bother saving up for the Pegacorn. I ended up getting him for free somewhere along the line (I forget which level it was).

If you have an abundance of crystals, save them for food which you will need constantly later on because you must eventually keep feeding the chest to progress in the game. It's tedious and expensive so I wait for the Shrine to power up to gather the items for the chest because it reduces energy consumption by 20%.

Edited on 11/11/2014 at 1:15:04 AM PST

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 11, 14 5:49 AM
Luckypool wrote:
I would forget the purchase of Pegacorn for now. All you get are quests to make him better, he has no other value I'm afraid. I would, for now, get your energy to as near zero as possible, then purchase the pot of honey (35 crystals or so?) - you get your energy bar topped up to max, plus another 30 points. If you can afford the 100 crystal soup then that gives you 100 points on your energy bar.

The reason I say the fungus soup is the way to go is that from that point on - every level you get, every moonfell soup you eat, every time you go a week without playing, you get an extra 100 energy. Works out to one energy per crystal. The nectar is 35 crystals and raises your max by 20. One and a half crystals per energy.

Short term the less expensive items look attractive, but if you're going to be playing for a while, with lots of levels and other 'fill ups' in your future, I stand by the fungus soup as the only way to go.

Don't sweat the pegacorn. I got it at one point, I think after the horrendous three updates to get something working we had a while back. Anyway, you get a few quests to heal him, a couple accessories look nice on him, and he's a little bit faster to recharge the hints than the other.

Edited on 11/11/2014 at 5:56:39 AM PST

BoutjeFedankt
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by BoutjeFedankt on Nov 11, 14 6:37 AM
I changed my strategy last week. I allways was collecting items to make usefull things in the collections. I had sometimes 100 or more the same items and played minigames to earn bolgins. Somewhere last week i decided to auction many of the items i had tons off (i allready fed the chest 500 times for the reward) and to my big suprise they were bought very well. I started with somewhat around 120.000 bolgins and now i have allready 1.082.953 and somewhere along the way i used 200.000 to make the last upgrades for the castle to collect the diamondsreward which i now have 158. I am playing scenes now when i have enough energy to collect items for the minigames. So i guess i will be prepared for the next update. Let's say i use 500.000 bolgins to buy sandwiches, that's 500 sandwiches with 40 energy for a total of 20.000 energy, and use the diamonds to buy soup. Then i keep alot of bolgins to buy things when needed. All buildings are upgraded allready.

JennieC
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by JennieC on Nov 11, 14 11:21 AM
Hi CynthyLV.

It is certainly interesting reading the responses to your question. You are at a time in the game when you do think you will never get there, especially since you still have to upgrade all those buildings.
I think what we "oldtimers" forget is that we went through your phase before the Dark Chest and its insatiable appetite. Forget about feeding it for now - concentrate on getting a good stash of Bolgins (I have been playing since April - about 30 min per day, with occasionally a longer stint!) - I have about 1.1 million, am on Level 70, and am up to date on all quests, everything on Level 5 etc, have about 400 crystals and my energy level is 1075. And I did it all for free. There are lots of us like that - you just have to be patient.
Definitely trade in the collections that give you a good return in money, unless you need them when you get back to feeding the chest. I would definitely look at auctions - there are certain items which sell well - for me that means a return of anything between 1000 and 3000. I don't really understand the greedy types - I can't believe anyone would pay their prices. If you have a reasonable number of an item, look at the current auctions for it and see what people are bidding. No bids = don't bother to try and sell it.
Get the lowest tier of each minigame up to Grand Master level - for Gizmotek that will mean a return of 1290 for each game - and more if you use your specials or bundles that you get every 7th day. Some specials give up to 50% extra coins. Worth doing for a 30 min flurry of playing when you have accrued a lot of the Gizmotek symbols (don't buy them unless you have to - just get in the HO scenes) - you will earn $40k plus in 30 min.
Other minigames in other areas earn less, but you will be surprised at how much you can earn in 30 min. I have certain games that I dislike, but I will play them for 20 min or so just to get some extra money - and they are free to play as you have got all the blueprints, animal food etc in the HO scenes.
Finally - you have probably gained a few friends in the game - look at what level they are on, and maybe private message them and ask for advice - I found that really helpful when I was thinking I would never get anywhere.

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Nov 11, 14 11:23 AM
mouser9169 wrote:
every time you go a week without playing, you get an extra 100 energy.

I don't get that bit! Why would the energy bar get an extra 100 energy if you don't play but buy the soup?

My mistake re Moon Due Nectar (I called it honey!) being 20 not 30 energy.

What is the lightning by the energy number btw - never quite get that.

Also, why is there a character from the game by each item to find, for example: Isara, Gobie etc - they appear next to an item - just wondering really??

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Nov 11, 14 1:21 PM
Also, for now, forget the Dark Chest. If you have other Quests to do - get on with those, just at your own pace.
Fungus Hut is now very ploddy, and unless you enjoy the game, it will become a very tedious aspect of making money.
The Auction is a must. Make a note of the repetitive collectibles Dark Chest has been asking you for, and avoid putting those at Auction. There are loads more rare collectibles you can put up, also not so rare ones can be a steady source of income. Use the Buy Now option as it's quick (if you prefer). A little practise and you will soon see it as part of your daily routine.
Happy gaming.

I like your advice and it's very similar to what I do.

Talking about the energy refill. If you spend the crystals on the nectar, it makes more sense. Why? Because we normally get soup as a reward in event quests and as payouts in our weekly bundles. So, after a few nectars your refill with soup is worth even more..

Dark Chest. I agree hold off until you need to do it. It takes away your resources that can assist in quests. I did the quest one, but am holding off the feeding until it becomes more clear on what the expectations are for the chest.Don't want to give away all my inventory.

The only part I don't do, that you do is the auction. I tend to stay away from that one. I think either you love it or hate it.

All in all, pretty sound advice.

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Nov 11, 14 2:43 PM
If you want to level up your energybar you have to use the Fungus-Soup, Parfait, Nectar as often as you can.

But if you use some of them it is also important to spend your energy against 1 or 0 .
If you are under the cheapest HOS-Place restore it to a HOS-Price you reach with using Bottles (10) or Sandwiches (40) or Olives, or Fondue

That means if you have 12 in your bar you have to stock up with a Sandwich to reach the Fairy Dragon Nest, If you have 20 you can reach Apricus Plaza with a Sandwitch, And if you have 27 you have to use 2 bottles to reach the price of Rose Garden.

You don't have to buy the Foods.

I always change my collectables to Food, Minigameressources, Stars and Coins.
If I need to level up I change the items to get Stars,
if I want to update a building, I change the items to get coins
and if I need food, so I change this items to get what I want.

I never made any auction.

My energybar is, after all the time I'm playing, in that high to play every HOS twice till it gets empty.
If it is empty I fill it up with a new Fungus-Soup.

Edited on 11/11/2014 at 2:48:16 PM PST

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Nov 11, 14 2:48 PM
cabega wrote:

If it is empty I fill it up with a new Fungus-Soup.
Cabegaaaaaaaaaaaa, does that mean you are buying crystals with real money to buy your Fungus Soup?

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Nov 11, 14 3:07 PM
At the beginning and at the banks sale we had before the summer update it was so.

If I had a lot of Crystals I always bought soups for my iventory.
And because I've used it after I reached the Levels in the middle of the game, I got higher and higher. And that means, I could spend more time to reach the next level.

I used special ressources
to earn more Stars
or more money
or to spend less time at the HOS

But since they made this horrend jumps from one Level to an other, it's never the same than it was before.

I only went to the expensive HOS when I'm playing over the shrine.
And if I play on time, I play as fast as I can to get the most items. and to use less engery.
After the 3 hours I play relaxed.
And I allways close the game with minimum 200 engery under the maximum. So the energybar can fill it self up till the next log in.

Edited on 11/11/2014 at 3:07:56 PM PST

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 11, 14 6:15 PM
Luckypool wrote:
mouser9169 wrote:
every time you go a week without playing, you get an extra 100 energy.

I don't get that bit! Why would the energy bar get an extra 100 energy if you don't play but buy the soup?

My mistake re Moon Due Nectar (I called it honey!) being 20 not 30 energy.

What is the lightning by the energy number btw - never quite get that.

Also, why is there a character from the game by each item to find, for example: Isara, Gobie etc - they appear next to an item - just wondering really??

By "wait a week" I mean every time you let the energy bar fill to max 'naturally'.

Lightning is just a symbol for energy and power. Beats the traditional blue bar, IMHO.

That's just something to make the HOS make sense 'lore-wise'. We aren't looking for random objects, we're helping the citizens of our kingdom find things that they need. Though why so many of our citizens need crossbows, swords, and bear traps makes me wonder how safe our kingdom really is...

jaredbmccomb
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by jaredbmccomb on Nov 11, 14 7:28 PM
I just wonder what they're going to do with the rainbows that I'm plucking out of the sky! Or a picture that's been carved into wood. Where does it go when I take it out? A carving is an empty space...

Go to: