Turalyon
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

Feeding Dark Chest

[Post New]by Turalyon on Nov 11, 14 12:15 AM
Hello,

is there a delay that I have to wait for before feeding the chest again?

I fed it 5 times and got 4 orbs, then I fed it twenty more times and all I got was Dark Slime...

sholady
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Re:Feeding Dark Chest

[Post New]by sholady on Nov 11, 14 12:26 AM
Feed it when you can. I have fed it over 700 times, but I am on level 83. It never seems to be satisfied and can take all the goodies you have to have to fill collections. It is just a 'way of life' now for me in this game.

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 11, 14 5:53 AM
It's completely random.

Here's how I would have coded it (pure speculation on my part). Generate a random number. Check the list which has a bunch of slime and 20 numbers for runes. If the number is a rune, check if the player has it already. If he does, substitute slime.

If that's the way it works, it explains why the stones are easier to get in the beginning, while you need to keep feeding the beast like a nest of ravenous shrews to get the last stone.

frosteen
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by frosteen on Nov 11, 14 7:20 AM
Just a tip -- be sure that whatever the Dark Chest wants is not something you need for a pending quest. I found that out the hard way.

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Nov 11, 14 3:38 PM
If the chest wants to have a rare item from my collections at first I earn a new one to spend.

Only if I'm close to a good achievement with feeding him, I spend the needed one from my stockpile.

For explaining: My stockpile is now at this time at 60 per item.

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 11, 14 6:21 PM
My personal plan is to feed him until I get the last rune (I only have the dark chest and the 999 quest now). Once I do that, I'm going to completely ignore the little bugger until I've finished all my quests and built up a good supply of collectibles, bolgins, and maybe crystals via the AH and playing the game.

Once I've got my kingdom in order, so to speak, I'll start thinking about going back to feed him for the numerical rewards.

I've got a hunch that feeding the beast is going to be a part of future quests, so by holding off feeding him now (after I get the dark island opened) I'll be killing two birds with one collectible later.

siberlene
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by siberlene on Nov 12, 14 1:26 AM
All I've been doing is feeding the chest. I haven't had a new quest for quite some time. I'm guessing no new quests will appear until the chest is fully satisfied. That's all I've been able to do if I want to play at all.

Which brings me to a question. In my travels to get the items the chest demands I've come across some things I don't quite understand. For example, when I visit Black Bull for the silver jewel box (or maybe it's the wood jewel box...doesn't matter), I click on it first to make sure it's the box I'm looking for. Usually when you click on the item it just tells you what it is. In Black Bull it says "Unlock: Reach Rank 1 in Black Bull". Well, my scene rank in Black Bull is Grand Master so why is it telling me to reach Rank 1? This occurs in other areas too.

rogmax48
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by rogmax48 on Nov 12, 14 1:53 AM
you will find that once you get the runes you will still have to feed the chest as once you open the dark island you will get 2 quests that ask for slime and stones. The first asks for 10 of each and the second iirc asks for 25 stones.

As to the description telling you you need a certain rank to get items that was added in the last update and i believe is aimed at those who are new to the game as it appears also in the AH. It has no effect on the gameplay if you already have that rank

Oh you get stones instead of runes once you have solved the placing of runes on the map

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Nov 12, 14 5:35 AM
mouser9169 wrote:My personal plan is to feed him until I get the last rune (I only have the dark chest and the 999 quest now). Once I do that, I'm going to completely ignore the little bugger until I've finished all my quests and built up a good supply of collectibles, bolgins, and maybe crystals via the AH and playing the game.

Once I've got my kingdom in order, so to speak, I'll start thinking about going back to feed him for the numerical rewards.

I've got a hunch that feeding the beast is going to be a part of future quests, so by holding off feeding him now (after I get the dark island opened) I'll be killing two birds with one collectible later.

This is exactly what I did too. I think this is a good strategy.

Go to: