bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Detective Agency - Released on April 10, 2009

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 9, 09 11:00 PM
Help James, a young talented private detective, find a stolen treasure map! It is up to you to solve the case in this Hidden Object game. Find clues and unravel tricky puzzles as you track down this ancient relic, and find the legendary treasure. Immerse yourself in this classic detective story, and follow each plot twist carefully through this winding tale with James and his Detective Agency.

johndaytrader
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Re:Detective Agency - Released on April 10, 2009

[Post New]by johndaytrader on Apr 10, 09 2:51 AM
This is a good simple HOG with items that are easy to see. It quite obviously was made in a language far removed from English and as such there are some items that are truly lost in translation. However, not a lot and the hint system once you figure it out is plentiful. In truth, figuring out how the translations were arrived at adds some of the fun - How did a trumpet become a pipe? How did a playing card become a map?

The game is relaxed. There are no timers. The mini games are varied and there is a skip button. Don't know how long the game is, but those, like me who wear glasses and don't like pixel hunting and don't like timed things could quite easily find this a nice pleasant interlude.

For those looking at downloading the demo, do try. I take some umbrage at big letters saying junk. I strongly disagree. It isn't a Hidden Expedition (shame, can't wait for the next one) but it is not junk.

Joie

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 10, 09 2:54 AM
Hi johndaytrader.

I personally wouldn't call any game junk. There are people who like (and dislike) every game here. That said, this game wasn't to my taste, but I am glad you like it and happy gaming.

K

[Post New]by BlackKnight_UK on Apr 10, 09 4:09 AM
I was hoping the bugs, bad translation, etc. I saw in a demo would be fixed by the time the game reached BFG, I guess from the post above that they haven't.

This is one game I won't be buying.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 10, 09 5:36 AM
I too have found this one kinda fun. Laugh at the translations, enjoy the challenge of figuring out what they mean, lol, and there are alot of hints, so it was more relaxing then some. Not the greatest game, but surely not the worst either.

rlppep
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by rlppep on Apr 10, 09 7:55 AM
I have never posted about any game before, although I have played many, and particularly like hidden object games. This ones is so full of glitches that about half the mini games can't even be played. It is by far the worst game I have bought from Big Fish. Save your money.

labrat33
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by labrat33 on Apr 10, 09 3:26 PM
It only took 4 of my free 60 minutes for me to close and uninstall this one. Does no-one check these things to be sure the translations to English make sense? Or that instructions say what they mean? (left mouse button, not right) Or that there is any kind of coherent story or plan to the thing? A big disappointment, BFG ! !

[Post New]by jpeigler1 on Apr 10, 09 4:40 PM
Am I the only one or has someone else had a problem with the buttons mini game? I couldnt find a "skip" button and wasted most of my free time trying to figure it out. If anyone has mastered this please let me know how. Thx

[Post New]by BlackKnight_UK on Apr 11, 09 2:26 AM
labrat33 wrote:It only took 4 of my free 60 minutes for me to close and uninstall this one. Does no-one check these things to be sure the translations to English make sense? Or that instructions say what they mean? (left mouse button, not right) Or that there is any kind of coherent story or plan to the thing? A big disappointment, BFG ! !

I'd forgotten about the left/right mouse buttons thing until I read your post, that was another reason why I didn't play the trial long. It seems to me that there are too many Hidden Object Games appearing these days that aren't checked properly for translation problems, etc. before they are released to the paying public.

[Post New]by samiam11475 on Apr 11, 09 9:13 AM
I'm a huge fan of HO games. Well ok.....maybe a lil addicted to them. I found this game to be far too easy. Don't get me wrong I don't like for them to be impossible either, however, there should be some sort of a challenge to them. Overall I find this game to be rather "sloppy". Directions are not clear and the storyline itself leaves little to be desired. Don't waste you money/credits.....patience is a virtue and the great one will come.....lol.

[Post New]by grannie41 on Apr 11, 09 12:03 PM

I agee with all the comments pertaining to the "language" and unclear directions. I stopped at the museum after collecting all the objects but no instructions on where or how to proceed. The QC team blew this one. I also did not understand how to activate the hints...I just kept racking up hints but never figured out how to use them. grandmajoan41

[Post New]by nicenmary on Apr 11, 09 1:11 PM
i'm also having problams with the button game i just could'nt figure it out so stopped playing for now

Go to: