catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 13, 14 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 5:38:35 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here!

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 13, 14 3:22 AM
As soon as I saw the title Dark Parables I groaned because I really dislike fragmented HO scenes. The Dark Parable series is known for its beautiful graphics and elaborate artwork but to be honest, I personally find them tedious to play because of the constant picking up inventory items that are camouflaged into every scene. The “explosion of color” as one reviewer says is exactly what you get. This game is certainly eye-catching offering mesmerizing scenery embellished with soft music in the background and supported by well acted voice-overs. The entire game offers a montage of colors and shapes that sometimes are overwhelming making everything a bit too visceral for me at times. Nevertheless, my sincere compliments go to the developers who as always, continue to do an excellent job with graphics and game mechanics.

All the Dark Parables have much to offer gamers, beginners or experienced alike. Good storyline, especially for those who enjoy the Fairy Tales. There is much to do and to be honest, I nickname these types of games the “clicking” fest because that’s what I find myself doing constantly, clicking away at everything as not to miss any inventory pieces. At times, I find them all too much for my eyes and like I said, fragmented HO scenes just make my head swim and my eyes water when looking for the tiniest obscure fragments amongst a junk-pile of intricate pieces all beautifully drawn.

Despite my personal qualms about this series, Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide is simple breathtaking as far as the artwork goes, although I have to admit that on my computer, graphics are not as sharp as I would have liked. Our storyline begin with our always ready to help detective who now must investigate the legend of mermaids and a mysterious purple Tide. You have customized settings which allow you to select your level of difficulty, many achievements to earn, collectables to find, a jump map and parables to collect along with many extras like repayable HO scenes that will help earn you some gold stars. There are also surprises along the way which involve our BFG mascot so make sure you keep those eyes open.

I have no doubt that the game will earn many praises as it should; a lot of hard work has gone into it. The HO scenes alone are difficult at times and no way am I able to complete one without any mistakes. The mini-games on the other hand were easy peasy to solve. There is a lot of back tracking, a LOT of inventory items to pick up and that is another pet peeve I have about these games, a lot of picking up stuff along the way. I ended up with 13 items in my inventory which surprisingly earned me an achievement.

Another success as far as this series goes and if Saturday’s CE game is not spectacular, I will probably succumb to the temptation of the siren’s call and end up buying this game during a sale.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here!

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 13, 14 3:43 AM
Well, after being quite startled to see the game was made by Eipix, and not Blue Tea Games (I'm really curious as to how that happened!), I settle down to play (and hopefully enjoy) the demo of this latest instalment of Dark Parables.

And I did. Yay! Eipix have certainly worked very hard at keeping the artwork and story in line with the previous games. The music has changed (although I think Blue Tea did finally change it in their last game, but I'm not sure right now), and I found it to be quite pleasant and fitting with the action.

And, even better (imho), the mermaid (the only female character I have seen so far), does NOT have the same face and expression as the other female lead characters in the last 3 or 4 stories! I have to admit, I was very tired of seeing the same face and expressions used over and over again.

The story is definitely not a copy of Disney's children-friendly version. Instead, we are given hints of a curse, and some other interesting twists, including a variation (I think) of the Atlantis legend.

As in the earlier stories, there are little 'hullo's' here and there to previous characters - I really like that. I also like that the detective can never quite remember why they look familiar. I'm not the only one with a memory problem, lol.

I don't know how long the game is - but the earlier games were usually a good length. The SG only showed 2 chapters, but in the list of Achievements, there are teacups to find (0 for me); hiding places for Felix the Fish - we have to return his crown, apparently (also 0 for me); souvenirs (again 0); and crescent moons in every main scene (I found lots of those, lol). The usual CE bling is also available.

I will definitely be buying this game, but as always, try it for yourself

Jen

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 13, 14 4:23 AM
A GLISTENING UNDERSEA TREASURE TROVE OF ADVENTURE AND BEAUTY

Mermaids and a terrifying sea monster abound in this beautiful, glistening jewel of the sea by the collaboration of the Pixies and our Cup o' Tea. You traverse the watery depths of the kingdom of Prasino, which appears to be rising from the deep with a purple tide accompanying it - destroying everything in its path. This game is a truly an artistic masterpiece. The vivid beautiful gemlike graphics and FROG scenes are from our Cup o' Tea. The Pixies have probably provided the puzzle elements to this game.

You play a detective called to investigate a case off the shore of Creete? (misspelling?) Greece where a purple tide is killing everything in its path. The Kingdom of Prasino is rising again. Entangled in this is a love story about a king and the goddess of the deep. Something terribly remiss occurred to cause all the calamities arising from the deep.

LEVELS: Casual (with sparkles - no penalties, Normal (Sparkles, penalties) Hard (no sparkles or help) and CUSTOMIZATION

GRAPHICS: Absolutely astounding. A beautiful work of art. Beautiful colors abound with gemlike radiance. Such a beautiful game. Devs - truly a masterpiece
MAP: You receive the map at the beginning after solving a puzzle.

INVENTORY: Interactive

HOP SCENES: FROG scenes (which is probably the work of our Cup o'Tea).

PUZZLES: Not terribly difficult. A variation of jigsaw puzzles - disks to correct locations, storybook sequencing puzzles in which you must complete a mini puzzle to continue the story, marble location puzzles, (probably the contribution of the Pixies).

EXTRA GOODIES: I played the demo quickly - so I may have missed extras. However, I did not see any morphing objects nor collectibles. You do earn achievements

COMMENTS: My only complaint would be the need for more variety in the HOP scenes. The FROGS are beautiful but a little repetitive. Devs - there should be more variety in this aspect of the game.

TO ME DEFINITELY NOT WORTHY OF "EDITOR'S CHOICE." WHO MAKES THESE DECISIONS ANYWAY? SO MANY BETTER GAMES THAN THIS ONE.

NOW TO RATE THIS UNDERSEA ADVENTURE. I RATE THIS GAME 6 STARFISH OUT OF 5 STARFISH. THE EXTRA GLISTENING STARFISH IS FOR OUR LITTLE MERMAIDS TO WEAR IN THEIR HAIR.

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 2:53:27 PM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Nov 13, 14 5:39 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 13, 14 6:07 AM
Unlike Nilosh, as soon as I saw the title 'Dark Parables' I went straight to the buy button without even bothering with the demo! But I experienced a moment of concern when I saw the Eipix opening sequence; I have loved every Blue Tea game and the FROG's are a major part of why I love them. I was worried that Eipix would have taken away the elements that make these games pretty much unique amongst HOPA's.

Fortunately they've kept this game true to the previous Dark Parables, with a few minor additions which actually improve the gameplay. The FROG's remain intact but the pieces are not so 'in-your-face' as they have been before, making them harder to find. But they are just as beautiful, as is the artwork which in some places is simply breathtaking. You collect inventory items as usual, as well as Parable notes and also collectibles in the form of crescent moons (and various others). The puzzles were not overly difficult but fun to play nonetheless. You also earn achievements.

The map can transport (which I don't think the other Parable games did) and the gameplay is also fully customisable. The story takes place off the shores of Crete, where the lost kingdom of Prasino seems to be rising again. I love anything to do with lost kingdoms and Greek myths/legends, so the story is right up my street

Personally I'm very happy that Eipix have kept this game as a pure FROG (although I assume Blue Tea must have had some input) and I hope they continue to do so if they develop more Dark Parables. They are virtually the only FROG's available now and I for one would be very sad to lose them.

I'm not sorry I bought this game without trying the demo; it's just beautiful

ETA: There are 6 chapters. The SG is only 27 pages long. The bonus chapter (Trusty John and King Bluebeard) is 7 pages. The cut scenes are grainy but the rest of the game is not. The hooded man is not a prince; he's actually a boy from another story and it does become obvious why he doesn't do a lot. Some of the puzzles are repeated. But I just finished the main game and loved every minute

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 10:56:17 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Nov 13, 14 6:35 AM
Was happy to see this game, played the demo and decided it is a buy for me. Not thrilled w/ some of the games, have been seeing that a lot of that in all the games of late, also not too thrilled with the Eipix, do like the Blue Tea. I do recommend it.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Nov 13, 14 7:26 AM
Nilosh gave a very good thorough review on the game and game play. Like him, I do not like fragmented objects one bit. I find it tedious and more like a search and find than a story. I also, like him, find this series with all the colors totally overwhelming. There are many many players who enjoy this series so I am happy that a new Dark Parables has been released. Kudos to the developer, who is my favorite by the way, for a beautiful game. It just won't be a buy for me.

BronzeLady
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by BronzeLady on Nov 13, 14 7:42 AM
My 2nd most favorite series is the Dark Parables series (my favorite series are the MCF games, sry) ... and my most favorite part of Dark Parable games are the fragmented HOS .. so keep em coming plzzzzzzz.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 13, 14 8:29 AM
Anything with Fragmented Objects is a buy for me. I get so tired of picking through piles of stuff, it makes my eyes hurt. FROGs don't hurt my eyes, they're much easier to spot. If you don't like FROGs, I think you probably have about 99.99999 % of the rest of the HOGs here to pick from, I just have to be happy that my preferred genre has a game released once or twice a year. Oh, that's right, a lot of people would like to take away those two games a year cause all the 'normal' type HOGs aren't enough for them. Thank you BlueTea/Eipix, you'll get my money because you are a FROG

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Nov 13, 14 8:30 AM
When I open the game it is a Blue Tea game. Where is everyone seeing Eipix?

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 13, 14 8:51 AM
I have mixed feelings about this game, I always loved the series but the constantly finds for tokens is getting on my nerves. Everything is needing one or more and they all look the same, so were did I have to put in which??
This is happening in the latest of the dark parables series and I start to resend it. Graphics are superb, you can trust both developers on that, but I need more than that.
Not sure it's a buy this time, although I do love the FROG's

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 10:46:27 AM PST

Sirocco
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

A Plea to Blue Tea Games

[Post New]by Sirocco on Nov 13, 14 10:26 AM
Dear Blue Tea, I LOVE YOUR GAMES and I am NOT enjoying this one because you have abandoned ownership of it and thus lost all the magic that your games usually possess. I love to enter a beautiful kingdom of exquisite detail and create/discover wonderful objects in enchanted spots and find their correct home simply because your graphics when you stick to what you are good at are simply the best. I don't think anything was ever better than exiled prince, things became less detailed and clear after that and I still think Briar Rose was the most beautiful of all in many ways.
I detest grainy graphics and completely pointless (if not unutterably beautiful ) objects unless they are leading me somewhere in the game. Restoring monuments are and placing vases unless somehow I believe this will move things forward in an important way in the story is just mindless and irritating. In this game here I am aimlessly wandering around picking up a bit of this and that. I am not attached to the mermaid or worried about the fate of the kingdom or scared by the monster because nothing has induced me to care about any of these things so far and I do hope this changes. The hooded prince is an idiot, he stands around sounding about 14 and makes inane comments like "Oh you have opened the temple" so insightful. Could he not be urgently engaged elsewhere or helping with something or just go away. He is so annoying waiting for me to complete the next step, not a prince in my mind and I am not even curious as to what his face looks like, which I assume i should be. Who is this mystery man frankly Scarlett I don't give a you know what. The exiled prince managed to be kind of hot by comparison.
This is such a tragedy, you can read other reviews when I have praised Blue Tea to the skies but this amalgamation with in my view another great developer has destroyed everything of value in what was my favorite series of all time. Please go back to being yourselves and put in more beauty not the gaudy, grainy graphics you have reverted to. Normally I hit buy without even trying one of your games but this year has made me more cautious with multiple games being rushed out by developers with a fall in standards. Yes, when i stop being so disappointed and recover from feeling my intelligence has been insulted due to the boring simplicity of this game I will probably buy it on sale but only because I own all the others. You can do so much better than this.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 13, 14 10:49 AM
julese53 wrote:When I open the game it is a Blue Tea game. Where is everyone seeing Eipix?

After the Blue Tea logo, you can't miss the Eipix opening sequence; it's the same as all their games. I noticed too in the end credits that BFG also had a hand in this game; must be why you see a very familiar fish included in the collectibles

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Nov 13, 14 11:04 AM
Completely agree with Sirocco, ruined it for me. Dark Parables were my favourite games, dont think im even going to buy this one. Why does Eipix have to get involved with it, Blue Tea were doing fine on their own.

hogfan
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by hogfan on Nov 13, 14 11:45 AM
Where's Vlady?

hogfan
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by hogfan on Nov 13, 14 11:45 AM
Where's Vlady?

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 13, 14 12:03 PM
WOO HOO....have been waiting for a new BT game, to be released, LOVE, LOVE them, so keeping fingers crossed, that Epix has not changed, all of the reasons why I love BT games, because I own every one of their games, and am SO looking forward to LOVING and playing this new release !!

I cannot afford to buy CE'S, like I use to, so have saved 2 game club credits, which took months to do, not easy, so I am praying that I will enjoy this BT/Epix game, as much, as I have LOVED playing all of the previous, BT games, especially after saving my game club credits, for so L-O-N-G .
My demo has downloaded, so off to play, happy dance, happy dance .

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Nov 13, 14 1:35 PM
This is no reflection on Eipix - they are who they are - but who they are not is Steven Zhao, and truthfully, I don't think anyone could be.

Yes, lately the Parables games had become formulaic, however, one thing remained - the original puzzles created by Mr. Zhao. You could always count on them. You might sometimes despair or despise because the entire game only contained a few types of puzzles, but they were all originals of a master mind. And the story line was his alone - twisted and brilliant. Yes, over the years the art work suffered and the games became stagnant, except his brilliance still shone through. However, I guess at the last, Mr. Zhao determined that iOS was a better outlet for his creativity (and it probably is - he's so dynamic and quick).

So BFG got the rights to a game series, turned the game over to another developer, and showed us (again) they care nothing about the purity and success of a series, (even their own), only about making money.

Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid bears little resemblance to a Dark Parables game other than the fragmented objects - Eipix simply lacks a subtle enough hand and understanding of nuance - everything smacks you in the face. This is just their style and not meant as a condemnation - it's just not right for all games.

phoenix_25
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by phoenix_25 on Nov 13, 14 1:49 PM
Hespera wrote: Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid bears little resemblance to a Dark Parables game other than the fragmented objects - Eipix simply lacks a subtle enough hand and understanding of nuance - everything smacks you in the face. This is just their style and not meant as a condemnation - it's just not right for all games.

I agree... I downloaded this without demo because it's Dark Parables!!..I was so excited, been looking forward to little mermaid since Jack and the sky kingdom. The mermaid looked weird but I shrugged it off. I started playing and immediately noticed the difference, even before the EiPix logo came up. EiPix is really not one of my fave devs and they have simply butchered this series.. The extras are very cookie-cutter, they've changed the parables, the sounds, the puzzles, NO MORPHING OBJECTS The graphics have a bit of the Blue Tea magic but it's just not the same. Would've been better if they'd turned it over to Elephant Games. I have my issues with those devs too but their graphical style is the closest to Blue Tea

I literally feel as though a close friend has died. No longer interested in this series. Giving it 2 1/2 stars.... Never thought I'd see the day

Go to: