catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Stone Guest here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 15, 14 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 11/15/2014 at 6:34:24 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Stone Guest here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Nov 15, 14 6:34 AM
Good morning Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Legends: The Stone Guest Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Legends: The Stone Guest Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Nov 15, 14 7:01 AM
There is a jump map and 3 difficulty levels, no customization.
I played the game for 13 minutes and in that time I had to travel back and forth constantly between the first 2 areas/scenes. For that reason it is no buy for me.
As always, try the game for yourself.
Happy gaming!
lea

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 15, 14 7:43 AM
I'm not a huge fan of ERS games but was quite prepared to give the demo a try in the hopes I'd like it, as I have enjoyed a few of this devs games.

But I'm sorry to say it was one of the dullest games I've played for a long time. The graphics were nice enough but the game was uninspiring and frankly, just plain boring. I dislike the dwarf anyway so that didn't help and yet again there's another fiddly gadget to contend with. I also encountered a weird string doll which was just creepy.

The HOS were quite varied but fairly easy and I didn't like any of the puzzles. There is a map which transports but no option to customise the playing mode. I didn't see any collectibles, so can't say if there are any or not.

It was all just too predictable with no real challenge or anything to make it memorable. I can't see me getting the SE, never mind this CE. After Thursday's lovely game, this is a real let-down. Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by felixplayer on Nov 15, 14 8:07 AM
Had to skip the 1st puzzle because the CE solution did not work

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 15, 14 11:56 AM
I wish all the devs would listen to us, the consumers when we express our likes and dislikes. Most of them have gotten rid of the click penalty which we hated. But, they haven't all caught on to the fact that we like a "custom" level. I really like ERS games, all of them, but am not going to buy any in the future until they put in a custom level.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 15, 14 12:20 PM
THIS GAME WILL PUT YOU UNDER ITS SPELL TO FORGET MEMORIES OF GAMES PAST

"Let rocks become flesh and flesh become ashes" states our dwarf. Yes, the dwarf is up to his old tricks in this latest game from the GamERS. Sorcery abounds with powerful voodoo like dolls turning people to stone and stealing their memories, leaving them in a zombie-like state. You play a detective who receives a letter from Dr. Leporello, who has invented a cure for his son. He is accused by those in his town of kidnapping children to use in his experiments. Up to his old tricks, the dwarf is tied into the poor doctor's misery. You must now find out the "who" and the "why" for all this black magic.

LEVELS: 3 levels - Casual (Sparkles), Advanced, Hard (still has hints and skips)

GRAPHICS: They are consistent with other games from the GamERS. The graphics are cartoonish but nicely done.

MAP: You have the map from the beginning of the game.

INVENTORY: It is NOT interactive. The inventory can be locked. Many of the needed inventory items you needed to interact with other items to continue in the game were practically right next to each other.

HOP SCENES: Finding a specific amount of a certain item (which are not always easy to locate) , replace items into scenes. You can switch from the HOP scenes to a variation of a Match 3 game.

PUZZLES: Not terribly difficult. A variation of mathematical puzzles, gear puzzles, finding hidden symbols from the ones I encountered.

EXTRA GOODIES: Strategy guide. Collect hearts to insert in a heart-shaped amulet to be used in the game. There are achievements which are placed in an aquatic setting (what this has to do with the theme of the game is beyond me) There is a magic magnifier to help locate hidden symbols

COMMENTS: Thank you GamERS. You have restored my affection for your games. A much better game for the GamERS and a much needed improvement from their usual menagerie of animals and "cutesy" helpers. It probably is a little "short" on being CE worthy. The graphics could be better. Customization should be part of a CE game. The inventory is not interactive. There are NO COLLECTABLES NOR MORPHING OBJECTS. However it is so much better, I will probably give all 5 stars.

NOW TO RATE THIS BLACK MAGIC. I RATE THIS GAME 6 POPPETS OUT OF 5 POPPETS. THE EXTRA POPPET HAS LEFT ME SPELLBOUND.

Edited on 11/16/2014 at 8:50:11 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 15, 14 4:33 PM
Hi all. Well, we have the 5th in the HL series and yes, I have the other 4 already (no surprise there). This one is very much like the others, even having the creepy little dwarf again. Graphics are good and clear, colors are bright and true. Game play was good, no problems at all during the demo. Either there wasn't much music, or it was so low I couldn't hear it. Not much in the way of sound FX either. Voice overs were pretty good, even sinister in some cases, but few.

HOPs were standard and very simple. Items were very easy to find. Puzzles were way too easy. Hint button filled fairly quickly, but the skip was very slow on the return. Hint was not as helpful as it should have been. When I want a hint, I don't want to see "keep moving, or might be clues elsewhere." Show me something! There is a jump map that is quite helpful, since the hint does not transport you to other locations. You do run back and forth quite a lot.

The only collectibles are hearts for an amulet that is suppose to do something when you find all the hearts. Don't know what. There are hidden symbols to find that help solve the easy puzzles.

As much as I liked the first 4 games, I was somewhat disappointed in this one. Not much of anything in the way of collectibles, very few achievements and no challenge anywhere. If you aren't into voodoo dolls and black magic, then you won't care much for this game. Actually, it might be time to retire this series. This game will probably appeal to beginners (and that is the only reason I will recommend it), but not too sure about seasoned players. I do not feel the need to purchase this game as a CE. I'll look at it again when the SE comes out, but no buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 15, 14 5:50 PM
Another dull, boring game that people seem to love, although I just can't fathom why.

Graphics/colorizations are the usual non-descript kind.

VO/lip sync is atrocious.

The dwarf/little person is just annoying.

Usual music which I turn down so it doesn't become bothersome.

HOS are ok, not the usual messy, junk pile kind.

Puzzles were just annoying with clear instructions lacking some of the time & the skip button took forever.

I made it to the lab where the little boy was & then the screen freeze took over. It froze at least 5 times with me having to ctr/alt/dlt out & come back in. Unfortunately, I came back too the same spot even though previously I had moved on in the scene. This meant I had to repeat the scene, get a little bit further, & have the screen freeze again with the same memory issue message. I surrendered at this point & the delete button will be my next move.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 15, 14 10:58 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with this installment. I am getting tired of the dwarf, and I still don't understand his purpose, except to just cause trouble for no reason. At this point, there should be a custom gameplay option, and the characters' mouth should move with speaking. I might buy the SE with a PCC if I have one when the SE comes out.

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Nov 16, 14 6:36 AM
I agree -- this installment didn't do it for me. I have an older computer, so the graphics weren't very clear, and the gameplay just seemed tedious to me, not fun. And I usually love ERS games -- I'm not as critical of them as some. But this one, meh. I also couldn't get past the logic that the creepy little dwarf could incite the village to riot. In your average village, the creepy little dwarf would be the first suspect, rightfully or not. And yes, I know it's just a game, but still...

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 16, 14 7:21 AM
I have to give ERS credit, they obviously read the complaints and comments and try their hardest to accommodate their customers. I have two suggestions: when we pick up something and a pop-up shows us the items, please let us click anywhere to release that item. Having to click precisely on the okay button is a pain in the neck. Also, I'd really like to see customized playing levels. I don't want glints, even on the HOS but I want super fast hint and skip buttons.

This is a beautifully made game, they do the best character faces of all the devs. However the game play itself is so nonsensical that I get a little annoyed... a gate that was previously working now has a part imbedded in a wall that you have to find a tool to reveal, etc. How did that stupid part get stuck in the wall when the gate was working minutes earlier? I hate stuff like that. So much running back and forth to do weird things like having the only access to a major street though a house window.

I hope that stupid dwarf will never be used in a game again, his grunts and snuffles make me want to squeeze his giant head till his eyes pop out.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 21, 14 11:22 AM
I played game and it wasn't as good as the other Haunted Legends. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but story confused me and puzzles and HOG's were a bit much.. I do have most of the ERS games and was disappointed but can't like them all. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 27, 14 10:26 PM
angelfish106 wrote: I'm sorry to say it was one of the dullest games I've played for a long time. The graphics were nice enough but the game was uninspiring and frankly, just plain boring. I dislike the dwarf anyway so that didn't help and yet again there's another fiddly gadget to contend with. I also encountered a weird string doll which was just creepy.
The gadget was indeed fiddly -- at the town gate puzzle, I couldn't get it to work at all, and the skip button took entirely too long to fill. I played 20 minutes of the demo and did not encounter an HOS. It was just a lot of going back and forth between the two opening scenes.
snapnhiss wrote:I hope that stupid dwarf will never be used in a game again, his grunts and snuffles make me want to squeeze his giant head till his eyes pop out.
Tamlin55 wrote: I also couldn't get past the logic that the creepy little dwarf could incite the village to riot. In your average village, the creepy little dwarf would be the first suspect, rightfully or not.
I, too, hate the stupid, ugly dwarf, and I'm not too crazy about the old witch. When she began to explain the weird string doll, which seemed to be yet one more fiddly gadget, that's when I quit.

Go to: