bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The 13 Keys here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Nov 21, 14 5:54 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fear for Sale: The 13 Keys here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fear for Sale: The 13 Keys.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The 13 Keys here!

[Post New]by ValerieG on Nov 21, 14 3:18 PM
No reviews yet??? its 3:30pm Pacific time and NO ONE has posted a review?

That's bizarre.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 21, 14 11:27 PM
ValerieG, looks like I'll be the first to post a review, probably because there are several reviews in the CE forum. In fact, I'm bringing over a small quote from there.
steve_san wrote:I found no problems with this game. On the other hand, I didn't find anything about it that was especially well done or memorable.
I bought the SE of this game after completing the demo for the CE. Now that I've finished playing it, I have to agree with steve_san.

The story involves a haunted hotel wherein the ghost is scaring the guests away, and you, as the woman detective, have been asked to find out what is happening. Not only is this not an original storyline, but it also involves making a deal with a demon to be fulfilled at the end of a year's time. Tsk tsk tsk. We all know you can't make that kind of a deal and break even, and in this version, the awful price to be paid is so obvious, you have to wonder what kind of half-wit the poor schlemiel had to be to fall for it.

Much of the game's action takes place in nightmarish dreams and through "doors of memory," which might have made a good hook if the deal hadn't already been given away. Too bad.

There is a custom option which allows you to shorten the hint and skip waits (yes! thank you!) and a jump map with locations marked where there is something to do. The easy HOS are sometimes interactive, sometimes straight lists. Puzzles are the usual thing... concentric circles, matching tiles to their color and context, pouring liquids into differently sized beakers, etc.

I enjoyed playing it without really liking it. It was okay. It could've been better, but it wasn't too bad. It wasn't all pink and blue, and there were no talking piggy banks nor riddling doorknobs.

I'll score it on the low side of three demons.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 22, 14 11:38 AM

13 Keys Open An Ordinary Door - (updated review after completing CE)

Setting: you are investigator Emma Roberts, who has been summoned to the Hotel Berkeley by the stunning Caroline who owns the hotel with her husband Stanley. It seems that ghosts are scaring away the guests. For experienced gamers, this will not be an original story line. However, those of us who like scary games can excuse a lack of originality if everything else is done right. The time period is not specified, but it could be present day, though the Hotel itself is naturally quite old (see above).

The drawing palette is varied, a lot of blues and greens for mood as well as reds and yellows for seasonal flavor. The style is typical of games of this type, kind of semi-realistic combined with fantasy. There is little or no music or sounds. The voice acting is mostly good, but some of the "scare" sequences were cartoonish (i.e. Ha ha ha!)

Those who like fairly easy play should enjoy this as there is a very straightforward and linear flow to the play. I encountered about the same number of hidden object scenes as mini-games during the demo. The HO scenes are pretty standard with a few twists Some are progressive, but they are also very easy to follow. Those who prefer can play a jigsaw puzzle in place of the HO scene. Mini-games were mostly simple to complete as well. During the demo period I found only one puzzle that required some thought.

There are four levels of difficulty including a custom level. There is a tutorial and the option of a limited tutorial - special features only. There is also something called a map which is not, however it does enable you to jump from scene to scene.

For reference, the Collector's Edition has 33 morphing objects, 30 collectible items, as well as a strategy guide, bonus level and the usual assorted pseudo extras - none of these extras are available in this SE version.

I found no problems with this game. On the other hand, I didn't find anything about it that was especially well done or memorable. Also, due to the straightforward nature of the play, I have concerns about game length. I'll rate this three and 1/2 slightly scary ghosts.

Update - I purchased the CE (must have been a sale!) and found the game play to be good and the length satisfactory (I played over several days so can't give actual hours.) So I'll recommend either, but the SE seems a better value.

Edited on 11/22/2014 at 7:12:11 PM PST

Go to: