catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Final Cut: The True Escapade here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 22, 14 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews!
Have a great day, and happy gaming!

Edited on 11/22/2014 at 6:27:24 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Final Cut: The True Escapade here!

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 22, 14 3:07 AM
Final Cut: The True Escapade CE

Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure

Fourth in the series:

(1) Death on the Silver Screen;
(2) Encore; and
(3) Homage.

Graphics crisp and clear

Voiceovers clear but not the best "acting"

Hidden Object Scenes - find by word list / shadow / x of y / interactive (and find a morphing object but not in all scenes - watch for the icon to let you know if there is one to find) OR in some (not all) you get the option to do match 3 instead

Collectibles - throughout the game, as per usual in this series, find the film strip (you will see an icon to let you know if you've found it yet - bottom right)

Achievements - quite a few but some I don't like e.g. you get an achievement for overclicking and also one for using the hint multiple times (20 I think)

Map - shows where you are, where you have things to do and also where you still will have something to do once you have what you need, and transportable. A pet hate of mine, is when the only thing you have to do is in the scene you are already in but it won't return you there, you have to exit out of the map. Please just send me back. Don't make me move my cursor all the way up there to click on the X

My opinion: didn't keep me interested and in fact I kept forgetting the characters' names - when I seen mention of names I thought they were referring to your character and her fiancé until I thought about it some more. Not a good sign. Bought, played and enjoyed (1) and (2) but didn't really get into (3). Not sure about this one unless I'm desperate for something to play. Each to their own though and I'm sure I'll be in the minority. Enjoy.

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Nov 22, 14 3:16 AM
Not sure they needed to make another Final Cut, but maybe that's just me. Here's what I thought after playing 60 minutes of the game -

Graphics are really good, music, sound effects, all what you would expect quality-wise from this developer.

Story is boring, at least for now. It starts VERY slow, and honestly, if you like logic, the fact that someone has been killed and yet you are looking for car keys, etc. will drive you nuts. They are also totally blasé about someone dying and sound like they are discussing the weather. It made me laugh but its a flaw in a game about actors.

I like the dual scenes, and they have found a new way to do this which I enjoyed. If you hate find the difference scenes, this is a recurring task which you may find really annoying. It does move they story along, at least.

HO scenes are interactive and there were just a few in the hour I played.

There's collectibles, achievements, all that sort of thing.

With the sale, this is a game that might be an enjoyable way to spend a rainy or snowy afternoon, but honestly, after Thursday's game and some of the others we have had lately, it pales in comparison.

As always, just my thoughts. Definitely try it for yourself.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Nov 22, 14 6:27 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Final Cut: The True Escapade Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Final Cut: The True Escapade Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 22, 14 6:37 AM
Thank you Julie Jay, you saved me the trouble of writing a review as you took the words right out of my mouth. I found the game lack lustre and a bit of a yawn fest for me.

The visuals are good as are the sprcial effects, and dispite the collectables and achievements as well as the choice of a M3 game during the HO scenes, I also found the storyline boring and gameplay slow and tedious. Some series just need to retire and we really do need some fresh ideas and a bit more challange in the gamplay. I realise there are alot of newbies amongst us but alot of seasoned gamers who need a bit more excitment in their games.

The best Final Cut was the very first game, and come to think of it, I think I will dig it out and replay it. Have a great week-end everyone

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 22, 14 6:48 AM
Agree with Julie Jay and other reviewers. I have played the other games in the series and find this one very boring. Might wait for SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 22, 14 6:54 AM
A GAME IN CONTENTION FOR AN OSCAR FOR BEST FILM NOIR EPIC OF THE YEAR

The PixIES take us back to the 1930's in a "film noir" vintage game taken from the Golden Age of "Silverwood." You play Julia, whose brother is producing the film "True Escapade" in which you fiancé, Ruben, is the star. After a series of tragic accidents which plagued the original production of the film, your brother attempts to resurrect its production. Tragedy continues when during a screen shot, your fiancé shoots a fellow actor. Was it an accident or murder most foul? You soon discover that your fiancé and another cast member have been kidnapped for ransom - the original footage of the film. Who is behind all the tragedy behind the production of this film?

LEVELS: Casual (Sparkles) Expert (Sparkles) Insane (slow hints and skips) and ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE THE GAME

LENGTH: Should be able to be played in about 5 to 6 hours.

GRAPHICS : The characters are realistic but the scenes themselves are set in muted tones, adding a nice "art deco " touch.

HOP SCENES: Brilliantly designed and puzzle-like as usual for this dev. Multiple variations of HOP scenes within each HOP scene itself and puzzle-like. Lists of items, search for a number of specific items were in the demo. You can play a Match Game in lieu of the HOP scene.

PUZZLES: Various degrees of difficulty, None terribly difficult. There is viewfinder to locate items within scenes. "Blinking lights" puzzles, maze puzzles were the ones I played in the demo.

INVENTORY: It is interactive and puzzle-like

EXTRA GOODIES: Morphing objects in HOP scenes 19 Achievements. Collect 40 film rolls. Collect souvenirs.

MAP: Provided at the beginning of the game as a "Golden Globe."

COMMENTS: With popcorn in hand, I will take a seat, purchase, and enjoy this game. I love this historic cinematic delight. I am always amazed at the GENIUS OF THIS DEV IN GAME DEVELOPMENT. The storyline is excellent and the dialogue is as well. It is truly a suspenseful game. Truly one of the best (and to "moi", they are the best) on this site.

BTW - TIRED OF CASTLES AND FAIRY FOLK - PLEASE KEEP THIS SERIES GOING! LOVE IT!!

NOW TO RATE THIS CINEMATIC SUSPENSEFUL MASTERPIECE: THIS FILM RATES 6 OSCARS OUT OF 5 OSCARS. THE EXTRA OSCAR IS AWARDED FOR THE TITLE OF BEST DEV ON THIS SITE!

Edited on 11/22/2014 at 7:29:21 AM PST

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Nov 22, 14 10:44 AM
Played 5 minutes then deleted this game! Way too easy and too much talking. nothing that requires the use of serious cranial matter. Is it just me or are the games getting easier and easier? Seems like the devs. are putting very little effort into developing games that actually require deductive reasoning. I guess the games are only as good as the imagination and the creative efforts that go into them!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Nov 22, 14 11:34 AM
saadia60 wrote:Played 5 minutes then deleted this game! Way too easy and too much talking. nothing that requires the use of serious cranial matter. Is it just me or are the games getting easier and easier? Seems like the devs. are putting very little effort into developing games that actually require deductive reasoning. I guess the games are only as good as the imagination and the creative efforts that go into them!

I do agree with saadia here. Have games become more simple or perhaps I am just getting bored with them. The gameplay was so slow and boring in this game. Too many characters... I kept forgetting who was who and why. No deductive reasoning was needed to play this. I'm not sure I can comment on whether this is CE worthy, as I don't even feel it was SE worthy. I suppose I shall once again return to some older games where actual thought process was needed. Please demo the game yourself. It may be just what you need for a lazy weekend inside

Poor dead Brian...

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 22, 14 1:07 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:Does anyone care about poor Brian, other than his wife? The director (your brother) is said to be "just worried about his friends," and you are only concerned that the cast/crew will quit. Brian was just murdered people! How about showing a little concern for something other than the film! I got a bit confused by the characters too (mentioned in another review) since I believe my fiance to be the "star," but Brian is given top billing and is quoted as the "acclaimed actor." Maybe Reuben did it after all out of jealousy?

Speaking of your brother the director... you move to Silverwood with your fiance (Reuben) to try to break into the business? Didn't I just hear your brother is a big director? He never bothered to give you or Reuben a job before?

Yes, so far I find the story a bit dumb. I lost track of who's who and am wondering why the actress would be the only one to call 911 after someone is killed. Everyone else just seems to be walking around the studio, all nonchalant and giving out helpful advice on where to find stuff.

twinsoniclab wrote:I got an achievement for opening the safe, but that was because I just clicked where shown!

To be fair, that achievement was for solving it under a minute (or something like that). I can see how someone might stare at that puzzle for a few moments before realizing what to do (I don't know, just my guess).

caliehs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by caliehs on Nov 22, 14 2:45 PM

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 3:15:39 PM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 22, 14 5:30 PM
The game features have been reviewed, so won't go there. I am in agreement with those who think that the game is lacking. It was just was a struggle to stay interested enough to jump through the hoops. Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen is still the best of the bunch. Definitely should try the demo though. You may have a totally different opinion.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 22, 14 6:14 PM
Hi all. Well, this is the 4th in the Final Cut series and I think it might be time to archive the film. The graphics were nice and clear, but nothing special. Colors were bright and true. Game play was very good and filled my large screen quite well. Voice overs were very good, when we got them. They are very few and far between. Music was about the same as all the others...yes, I have those too. I was very annoyed with the beeping sound I heard in the beginning, until it dawned on my that it was a phone off the hook. It was so small, I didn't even know it was a phone.

Not much in the way of HOPs either. You can switch between the HOP and a match 3 game. Items are very easy to find, no challenge there. Puzzles were extremely simple. The one thing I did like was the use of the viewfinder. Different and fun, but simple. Hint system worked okay and did transport to long distances. The one thing I didn't care for, was that if there was nothing to do, it didn't send you to the next area, it just said "maybe you need to look somewhere else." What good is a hint if it doesn't give you one? It did fill fairly quickly, so that was a plus. Didn't bother with the SG, it didn't give you anything but the first chapter anyway.

There are many achievements, most are the same, but some are quite silly, e.g. using the hint button numerous times. The only collectibles I found are the usual film strips, which are not too difficult to find. Some are a bit small, so look around, there are 40. I accidentally found a morphing object in a HOP. There are 13 to find.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed in this game, compared to the first 3. It lacked adventure or excitement and definitely no challenge.. Someone got very lazy with this one. Even with the collectibles, I do not feel this is CE worthy. I'll wait for the SE to come out and give it another try. A game has to be exceptional in all aspects for me to give it 5 stars, and this one was not. There was nothing here that kept my interest or made me want to buy it. It was just a very slow moving game. No buy for me. I will recommend this one for a beginner, but not for someone who wants a real challenge...or at least some challenge.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 22, 14 9:04 PM
For a more detailed review, check the main game page, but here's the jist of it:

Rating: 3/5 stars

Fun Factor: 4/5 (more like a 3.5/5 actually)
Graphics: 3/5
Challenge: 4/5
Story: 2/5

The story was terrible, but the gameplay was decent. To sum up my gameplay experiences, here's this quote from my review:

"Having failed to impress me after four games, I think it's time Eipix took Final Cut back to the drawing board. If this was the final cut of a movie, I'd be storming out of the cinema. This is one of Eipix's worst stories to date. I know they are capable of much better, so why haven't they delivered?"

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 22, 14 10:31 PM
The specifics about the gameplay have been reviewed, so I won't repeat things.

I have the previous 3 games in the series and thought they were interesting, and I felt that the third one was a fitting end to the trilogy. Why, then, do the devs feel that they need to continue the series (rhetorical question since we all know the answer)? Unless I saw the mention of the studio or the famous director Wolf, I wouldn't have made a connection to this game and the others in the series. This game was boring and didn't feel the need to figure out "who done it". I will pass on the CE and make a note to pass on the SE as well.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Script not to bad!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Nov 22, 14 10:38 PM
This was a short game! I did find myself a tad bored. I know when I am bored I just skip the puzzles.

I did not find the map useful and the guide I never used --

I am aware that it takes a team to bring a game to final production -- you work hard. Overall this game fell short.

Oh how I yearn for a good story/tale, journal entries that make me want to go back and read. A story that entertains me. A story that is intriguing.

Oh how I long for the days of the 13th Skull like productions -- entertaining, challenging, loads of humor and some rather disgusting scenes. Hoodoo, Voodoo, good old boy -- mama Amie and more.

The first time I played the game it took me a little over 3 days. I have replayed numerous times while not taking over 3 days may play is down to 1 1/2 days.

My .02cents.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Nov 24, 14 8:17 PM
Well I for one love this game! I am so sick of cute games that look and feel like something a young girl would love. Murder! Skulduggery! Old time film studios! I've been waiting for a game like this, and I'm sorry to discover I might be the odd man out here. Oh well! To each his own.

ShaunaPSmith
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by ShaunaPSmith on Dec 6, 14 8:14 PM
Really liked this game. Liked the story, liked the voice overs, liked the puzzles. Some were quite the challenge. What I truly love is when I'm able to choose a Custom difficulty level, and I make them as hard as possible. I do like map clues, though, and this one gave them to me. I love not being told what a puzzle's goal is unless I really get stumped, which actually happened a few times. Good, hard mini games. It was way too short, though. For a CE, I would've preferred it to be longer and THEN you get a bonus game. But I have to say, it's cool when they let you replay the puzzles and this one even gives you a Match 3 game to play as a Bonus.

It's a GAME!

[Post New]by siestakeyjac on Dec 26, 14 1:16 PM
Never given a review/been a BFG member since year 2000,,,have had so many pleasurable hours with BFG/so have not complained when the game was not the best/or not my thing/just did not buyor if bought by mistake deleted...I am 84 yrs 0f age with health issues and my computer along with being a fishie have helped keep my mind alert and active..Thank goodness for being able to download trials and make our own decisions whether to buy a CE or wait for a SE or pass/its a privilege offered by BFG and living in my good old USA!

I have the other Final Cuts and will use a PCC to get this one too.also get a little tired of so many "fairy tale" type games but glad to be able to choose or pass..as we all can,,,thanks BFG for the computer help given in the past from customer service reps/HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FISHIES AND THE BFG FAMILY!!!

[Post New]by neonette on Mar 5, 15 4:46 PM
did anyone of you experience a bug in the minigames? the ones where you have to swap items - one with the peacocks and, erm, swans or geese and the others with a dragon?
I can't swap certain tiles or I have only the tiniest spot to choose the tile.

I contacted Bigfish, but they haven't heard of that bug so far. so I'm wondering if it's just me....

thanks for replying :-)

neonette

Edited on 03/05/2015 at 4:47:20 PM PST

Go to: