joyost3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

What the "Data Execution Protection" message means

[Post New]by joyost3 on Nov 22, 14 4:35 AM
I was getting this message when I was still trying to play the game. Happened whenever the game would not open. This game either has a virus or is trying to mess with our computers. And I believe what Windows is doing over what Big Fish may say about this. So they can deny it, but I'll believe what Microsoft says over what they say. Big Fish dosen't KNOW what the developers are doing, they're not employees of Big Fish.

Copied from the Microsoft Windows website:
"What is Data Execution Prevention?
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you."

Doodlebug2
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

What the "Data Execution Protection" message means

[Post New]by Doodlebug2 on Nov 22, 14 3:10 PM
joyost3 wrote:I was getting this message when I was still trying to play the game. Happened whenever the game would not open. This game either has a virus or is trying to mess with our computers. And I believe what Windows is doing over what Big Fish may say about this. So they can deny it, but I'll believe what Microsoft says over what they say. Big Fish dosen't KNOW what the developers are doing, they're not employees of Big Fish.

Copied from the Microsoft Windows website:
"What is Data Execution Prevention?
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you."

This is known to generate some error messages as legitimate software can conflict with DEP. If you have so much distrust for Big Fish games, why are you here?

joyost3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:What the "Data Execution Protection" message means

[Post New]by joyost3 on Nov 22, 14 6:47 PM
If you trust a game website when you're getting messages from your computer that it's trying to mess with your computer, that's your business.
Most people do pay attention to Microsoft warnings about dangerous activity it recongizes from websites.
And trust is a mute point when the game dosen't even work. If Big Fish cared about trust, they'd either fix these problems or pull the game.

klfrr
Clownfish
Clownfish
807 Posts

[Post New]by klfrr on Nov 22, 14 7:13 PM
Can't speak for everyone, but I have no problem playing Agency 33, or any Big Fish games, which I have been playing for years. No conflict with Microsoft Windows 7, anyway, and I have never seen that message.

Edited on 11/22/2014 at 7:14:07 PM PST

4tinynana
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by 4tinynana on Nov 23, 14 10:11 AM
I don't know what OS you're using, but you can either turn DEP off or add BFG to the list.

I only run DEP on system programs.

Check your settings- system properties/advanced/performance/DEP.

annibelle1
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by annibelle1 on Dec 7, 14 3:19 PM
I have nothing but constant Data execution stuff happening and ever increasing. It seems to have to do with maybe using too much energy. It happens to me when I click near an intended target or outside some boundary set up in the game. Maybe it is a layering issue-that seems to have plaqued the game in the past. I dunno. I wish I understood about how to exactly turn off what is causing the problem. It has made me have sour grapes for an otherwise wonderful game. It looks like since it is a big problem the team in Seattle should give specific, clear directions for turning the DEP on/off or whatever. I give up with the game being able to work correctly. I trust the program and feel it is a false/positve type of situation, just can't fix it. So nervous I can't unrepair it if I run into a problem. Just saying. Anybody know? heard rumblings of another update?

4tinynana
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by 4tinynana on Dec 8, 14 11:29 AM
annibelle1,

What operating system are you using? You can turn DEP off or add the site to the list, if you're using windows.

Go to: