Awful translations and suggestion

[Post New]by dennisk on Apr 13, 09 2:21 PM
If you play many hidden object games as I do, you've undoubtedly noticed the wide range of sophistication in the presentation of clues and scripting. It's often, even usually, possible to determine the country of origin from the noun choices used to describe the search object and determining the country of origin can be a game of itself. Detective Agency, for example, is clearly a Chinese game, easily determined from the mangled syntax of the connecting scripts. The absence of articles is a sure giveaway.

My question is, "Why don't these companies do at least a cursory beta with game players?" I'm sure that there would be many Big Fish customers that would love to beta these games and give feedback and suggestions for more colloquial language. I know I would.

--- Dennis

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Re:Awful translations and suggestion

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 1, 10 6:03 AM
But as you said, figuring out the translation becomes a game in itself. That, in a way, adds to the value. As I said in another post; the translations are brave and adorable. It takes courage to plunge, head first, into another language like that.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jun 2, 10 9:03 PM
It spoils a game for me though, and really frustrates me because I can spend ages looking for an item.
Then I have to use a hint and it is obviously not what I was looking for.

I understand that there are different words for things in different languages/cultures but is that not what changing languages are for??

Having played Hidden Object games for a while now I have gotten used to the Americanisation of most of the games on this website as it is a American website but sometimes I am still left baffled.

Where are the English games baffling the rest of the world??

Of course it goes further then language as me and my partner are from opposite ends of the same country but we use different words for different things.

Maybe a notice on the game that this is a (Insert Country Here) game. It would also explain some of the obvious translation mistakes in story-lines as well.

Well I think that is my rant over now.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 4, 10 5:21 AM
RainbowElf wrote:It spoils a game for me though, and really frustrates me because I can spend ages looking for an item.
Then I have to use a hint and it is obviously not what I was looking for.

I understand that there are different words for things in different languages/cultures but is that not what changing languages are for??

Having played Hidden Object games for a while now I have gotten used to the Americanisation of most of the games on this website as it is a American website but sometimes I am still left baffled.

Where are the English games baffling the rest of the world??

Of course it goes further then language as me and my partner are from opposite ends of the same country but we use different words for different things.

Maybe a notice on the game that this is a (Insert Country Here) game. It would also explain some of the obvious translation mistakes in story-lines as well.

Well I think that is my rant over now.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 4, 10 5:32 AM
We all need a good rant now and then.

The whole question of how these games are designed and put together is interesting to me. I would love to sit in on work sessions, from when they are brainstorming ideas to actually putting the art together and whatever else it takes. Some one should make a video if they haven't already. I'd buy it - especially if BFG sold it for $6.99.

Go to: