mizzelle
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

Update problems?

[Post New]by mizzelle on Nov 23, 14 3:42 PM
I've been offline for awhile so I went into Game Manager and noticed updates for my games. Fine, I know the drill, let it run its course. But something went wrong and the Dark Manor update didn't take and now I can't get the update again to try running it. The manual updates shows a game update, but it won't show up at all. Do I need to reinstall something? Contact customer support? My connection is flaky lately, so I'm wondering if that's why it stalled.

Re:Update problems?

[Post New]by MissCuddleFish on Nov 24, 14 4:52 AM
Hi Mizzelle

The same thing happened to me once also.

The update 'hung' in my download queue, in the game manager.

Open up a ticket with CS, include your game number, manor name etc. and a Dr. Felix report.

But ... you might want to try this first ...

I fixed it myself before they answered. This what I tried.

Download another game ... anyone ... you can delete if you don't want to keep it. This sort of woke up the download queue.

If that works ok, go back into options and check manually again for any updates and see if the Dark Manor one re-appears.

It worked for me, so it might be worth a try.

If that doesn't do it, you really have to get CS to help you.

BTW ... I play on a PC.

Edited on 11/24/2014 at 5:07:50 AM PST

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 24, 14 5:20 AM
I didn't have the same problem, but there was something strange with this update. Usually it is either optional or mandatory to download updates, not letting you play if you haven't done so. This time, it let me play once without downloading. Next time I opened the Game Manager I was surprised to see that the update was halfway downloading although I had not initiated it. I tried to stop it but couldn't.

psyche_
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by psyche_ on Nov 24, 14 9:10 AM
LMAO Eli. I just got a vision of a person sitting at their computer going "no, stop **** you, I don't want the update" whilst manically clicking on the trashcan

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by suetyler on Nov 24, 14 10:28 AM
I didn't have problems actually getting the update this time (I often do), but after this latest one, I've noticed that the game has started crashing periodically again, which seemed to be better after the last few updates. Also, I was hoping that the trouble with moving items had been addressed. It's still the same. I can move items 3 or 4 times, and then the function stops working, and I have to exit out to the Main Menu and go back in again to be able to move things 3 or 4 times more. It's so troublesome that I've found myself not playing the game for days at a time just because it's become so annoying.

mizzelle
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by mizzelle on Nov 24, 14 10:59 AM
MissCuddleFish, I tried downloading another game to see if it would nudge the update along, but it hasn't changed anything. Searching manually can see there's an update but it won't appear in the queue.

[Post New]by MissCuddleFish on Nov 24, 14 12:16 PM
Sorry it didn't help Mizzelle.

I can't remember if I downloaded more than one game. All I remember was that I thought it would take CS a few days to get back to me, so I thought I would download game(s) to keep me busy while I waited.

Mine was like yours, the first update didn't work and then after it showed there was a download available, but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Anyway after stalling the other game(s) ... poof ... the update re-appeared and I did it, opened the game and all was well.

I guess you will have go through CS. They might take a few days but I am sure that once they get to your ticket, things will move along quickly.

mizzelle
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by mizzelle on Nov 24, 14 1:16 PM
CS' suggestion was a clean uninstall/reinstall. Hope that doesn't cause any problems. Fortunately I'm backed up on FB.

mizzelle
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by mizzelle on Nov 24, 14 2:44 PM
AHA! I uninstalled it off the Game Manager and that triggered the download queue to give me the actual update! *breathes a sigh of relief*

drivin
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by drivin on Nov 24, 14 3:42 PM
This is the problem I'm having: The game told me I have to do an update. When I go to check manually for updates it says there are no updates for the game. So I try to log onto the game again and it tells me I have to install the new update and when I try to manually update it says there are no updates to install. None are in the download area either. Anyone else having that problem? I'm on a PC.

drivin
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by drivin on Nov 24, 14 3:53 PM
I think this is the straw that finally broke the camel's back with me and Dark Manor.

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 24, 14 4:37 PM
drivin wrote:This is the problem I'm having: The game told me I have to do an update. When I go to check manually for updates it says there are no updates for the game. So I try to log onto the game again and it tells me I have to install the new update and when I try to manually update it says there are no updates to install. None are in the download area either. Anyone else having that problem? I'm on a PC.

You can try uninstalling from Game Manager and reinstalling, as others have done. It's very brief and safe- you won't lose your game.

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 24, 14 5:03 PM
suetyler wrote: Also, I was hoping that the trouble with moving items had been addressed. It's still the same. I can move items 3 or 4 times, and then the function stops working, and I have to exit out to the Main Menu and go back in again to be able to move things 3 or 4 times more. It's so troublesome that I've found myself not playing the game for days at a time just because it's become so annoying.

The new editing function has become an ordeal for many of us for a variety of reasons. I have written extensively both here and to tech support, where I have sent a nauseatingly detailed analysis of the system's annoying flaws, the good features of the previous system which they removed, plus the preexisting problems that they didn't solve with the new system. They promised to forward it to the developers, along with my Dr Felix report. So far I have not received any feedback, and, as you said, they have not addressed this issue in the latest update (along with most other issues, which they seem to be either ignoring or unable to fix).

The problem you describe where the function is disabled after a couple of moves is one I've had since they changed the system. I think it is mostly caused by paths, which have become problematic in more ways than one. For example, when I lay out a path and then try to remove it, the system gets blocked and instead of picking up the path it tries to place on top of it more paths from inventory, if I happen to have any. It is a nightmare!

In any case, I have found that when the system is disabled like you describe, it is perhaps easier to temporarily place an item from inventory somewhere on the grounds. This will reboot the function just like exiting does. Any item will do, except paths.

Edited on 11/24/2014 at 5:18:35 PM PST

wjhadley51
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by wjhadley51 on Nov 24, 14 6:31 PM
I have that problem with not being able to move things sometimes and I found that if I do a HOS, when I come back it will let me move stuff again. You might try that and see if it works for you.

Go to: