MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edition

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Nov 25, 14 12:47 AM
A place for your reviews

Edited on 11/25/2014 at 10:44:51 AM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for -Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edi

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Nov 25, 14 4:16 AM
Disappointed it was developed by Elephant Games and not bfg. I assume they've given up on the development side which is a great shame because they were simply the best. Elephant games are all much the same and the atmosphere is totally missing. The whole point of Dire Grove was its creepy atmosphere and difficult problems. Too simplified in my opinion. Same old same old.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for -Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Ed

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 25, 14 4:34 AM
The original Dire Grove remains one of my all time favourite games and I felt very much at home with this sequel. The surroundings are so familiar; the hotel, the garage, the outbuildings all look virtually the same. Even the trees and shrubs look as though no time has passed since we last set foot in Dire Grove, although it's been 5 years. I have to applaud Elephant Games for keeping the feel of the game faithful to the original classic from BFG.

Of course the gameplay is different, as this is made by Elephant and therefore has many elements from their other games. But we still get the 'super puzzles', which I found to be totally incomprehensible! Even the SG instructions were hard to follow; the in-game puzzle hints were slightly more useful but not much! There are other puzzles which thankfully are easier.

There were no 'list' type HOS during the demo, mostly 'find so many of one item' (as far as I remember). There are collectibles but no morphing objects, which is one of the things I loved about the original game. Thankfully there is no helper! The map is in the briefcase (left of screen) and shows where there is something to do, as well as being able to transport. There are several modes of play, from casual to a timed mode (good luck with that!). I chose the 2nd of the options and there were no sparkles anywhere.

In spite of the almost impossible to understand 'super puzzles', I loved this game! It really did feel very much like the return of an old friend who had new tales to tell. Needless to say it's a buy for me and a big 'well done' to Elephant Games for staying true to the excellent original.

ETA: There are morphing objects, although they are done in the form of another collectible; in the original Dire Grove they were integrated into the scenery and therefore much less obvious (and more fun to find). The 'super puzzles' were so complicated I skipped them all; the ones in Madame Fate were far less complex but still challenging and I could solve those. I just couldn't understand any of the ones in this game.

Edited on 11/25/2014 at 2:48:21 PM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for -Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edi

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 25, 14 4:44 AM
Will make this fast as I have to go but I too am disappointed. I thought the storyline was weak and vague, none of the fear factor that I so looked forward to. Graphics were good, not spectacular and gameplay was just okay. I loved the first mini-game I came across and HO scenes were the usual. No morphing objects which I loved in the original D?re Grove and achievements only dealt with Hidden Object performances and mini-games, nothing challenging there. There are collectables, puzzle pieces and small souvenires to locate, a jump map but no extra HO scenes to play or difficult awards to earn. In my opinion, this pales in comparison to the MFC games we use to get and I found it easy to play. W?ll I get it? Probably when there is a CE sale but seriously, I still have no idea what the story is about. Sorry, but I waited all year for this and got the usual CE game that we have been getting. I agree with oldbag60, same ole same ole.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for -Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Ed

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Nov 25, 14 5:00 AM

Edited on 12/08/2014 at 3:32:20 PM PST

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Nov 25, 14 5:35 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's E

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 25, 14 8:50 AM

Edited on 12/08/2014 at 3:32:54 PM PST

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 25, 14 10:49 AM

Edited on 12/08/2014 at 3:33:13 PM PST

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edit

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 25, 14 10:49 AM
Just like last years MCF I found this not the same as previous ones. Elephant is a great developer, but they do not make MCF like BFG. I think I am done with MCF and that makes me sad.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edit

[Post New]by Mitzikerr on Nov 25, 14 1:03 PM
Very disappointing. Great artwork. That is about all I can say positively. Sad to say I am done with MCF. It seems instead of giving the customer what they want (tried and true), they feel they must be "new" and improved. Bye bye BFG.

barelyberlee
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edi

[Post New]by barelyberlee on Nov 25, 14 1:23 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I found this to be an average game. An average Elephant, which is too bad. They used to do so much better. I can't speak to it as a MCF, as I am not a big fan of the series. I own them, have played a few, and have liked only a couple. So, my review is about the game itself, not how it continues the legacy and all that hoopla.

HOS: Very easy. Making them super-interactive doesn't make them hard. The items are large and easy to find. A few "puzzles" within them, but things like put together a photo, and all you do is click the pieces and they go into their correct places automatically.

PUZZLES: Some harder than others, or if not harder, more complicated. There is that MCF standby, where you have to do one thing to get another to work. This was done much, much better in Fate's Carnival, although here we have a "puzzle hint" within the puzzle, and can get help on each step, one step at a time. That's better than skipping or having to check the SG if you need help. There is a case to open, and the code is scratched into the case. Why bother?

COLLECTIBLES:
Puzzles pieces and models of the Dire Grove buildings (these are morphing, but large and obvious when in their model state).

I am always puzzled by these games' time period. I believe the cassette recorder to be anachronistic. I didn't quite "get" what the story was about, as most of my demo was spent wandering around collecting items not related to the mystery of the druids and the wild animals.

We can't have a game without a missing zipper pull, and this game is no exception.

And, what's with finding a man laying in the snow? We say, "Hey, there's a man in the snow! This cold can't be good for his health." Wow, that's a really intelligent comment! My favorite part of that scene? We just go the other way, do other things, collect other items, play other HOS... I guess we eventually remember the man exists. Maybe the wolves eat him before we get back, solving his inconvenient presence.

The graphics are nice, the voice overs nicely done. But, the fun and/challenge just isn't there. Oh, I'll buy it, but on sale or as an SE. The first MCF came out in 2005. Maybe their heydays have ended.

I'm with you twins. I like the game, it is a great game, but I hold MCF's up to a higher standards. I'm honestly disappointed that it's not linked to the last Dire Grove. Just not MCF standard IMO

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 25, 14 1:38 PM

Farewell BFG's of old? This game just does not stand up to the standards of the past.... I own the original games both via BFG digital cloud and DVD yet can not even justify purchasing this one nor the recent past episodes even on one medium.

As mentioned by Nilosh & Oldbag60, twinsonline, and a few others... I agree, there is way too much hand-holding and same ole same ole. In addition? IMHO black bar comments were too much info, the graphic illustrations of Celtic lore were not impressive, the music was standard fare, main character voice acting was stiff and robotic (computerized vocal?) and the wolf theme [as presented in intro], while it could be exciting, seems it has been done just one time to many in recent memory.

Sigh.... hope you hear some of us that enjoy more challenge and variety BFG [new owners].

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Ed

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 25, 14 1:55 PM
A PACHYDERM HUNTING EXPEDITION LEADS US TO THEIR "BIG GAME" OF THE YEAR

The weather has turned frightful and nothing is delightful in Dire Grove. Facing a U.S. style polar vortex, you arrive in the English village facing not only bitter cold but animal attacks as well. You are greeted by , the lead hunter of the expedition hunting these animals. Wolves and bears abound - oh my! What is causing this weather modification and outbreak of animal attacks? Are the Druids causing all this havoc in the little community? This icy adventure game hunting expedition should heat up your Thanksgiving break!

LEVELS: 5 Casual (Easy with sparkles) Experienced (No sparkles and less hints) Hardcore (No help) Wise Druid (Scary hard) and Master Detective (Timed and opened after completion of game) You also have the choice between a male and female player roles.

GRAPHICS : Amazing and realistic. Very well-done. The colors are muted and varied throughout.

HOP SCENES: Puzzle-like. They contain puzzles within the HOP scenes. There were variations of jigsaw puzzles within the first HOP scene.

PUZZLES: Mini puzzles within puzzles. They require unlocking sequential "mini puzzles" before proceeding to the next one . You collect clues as you traverse the game. With a set of five clues you receive a new piece of information to help solve the case. In your interaction with the locals, you have several dialogue choices to help further the game.

INVENTORY: Can be locked. It is interactive and puzzle-like . Most of the items in the inventory require some type of interaction . Most items collected are found within the game scenes

EXTRA GOODIES: Collectibles are jigsaw puzzles pieces to complete 4 jigsaw puzzles; There are 8 landscape features to collect to recreate the village of model of Dire Grove; there are 19 achievements. There is a strategy guide. You receive the map at the beginning of the game.

COMMENTS: I absolutely LOVE this game. To me, this is Pachyderm's best game to date. This game has excellent graphics - a suspenseful storyline - an adventure-like gaming mode - collectibles, innovative puzzles and puzzle-like HOP scenes. There is absolutely nothing I dislike about this game.

NOW TO RATE THIS SNOWBOUND ADVENTURE: I RATE THIS GAME 6 HUNTERS OUT OF 5 HUNTERS . THE EXTRA HUNTER TO HELP ME THROUGH THE STORES ON BLACK FRIDAY.

Edited on 11/25/2014 at 2:01:40 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 25, 14 2:20 PM
Love it! What can I say.. It's so much fun and Elephant is the developer which I LOVE Can't wait until I buy as I know it will be a winner... Got everything you want in a game.. Happy Turkey Day.. You know what I will be doing. Give this a 5 out of 5 stars....

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 25, 14 2:37 PM
The first Dire Grove was my very favorite. Waited a long time for this game to be released I was hoping it linked with the first one. Was also disappointed with this one. I too expect more from MCF. Will probably buy when there is a good sale .Elephant games could have followed the format from the first game.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Nov 25, 14 3:54 PM
I like it. Played the first one years ago as a Newbie and didn't really understand it ,but this one is really good, as far as I am concerned.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 25, 14 4:57 PM
Hi all. Here we have the 7th installment in the MCF series. Yes, I have 5 of them. The only one I did not care for and did not buy was Shadow Lake...don't remember why. This one has the same quality as the others all the way around. Very nice active graphics, even down to the "cold breath." Very nicely done. There are some purples, but not over-powering at all. Colors are bright and clear. Game play was excellent, no problems with the demo at all. Excellent voice overs, appropriate for age and gender, with fear, excitement and pain, not just someone reading a script. Very well done. I got so engrossed in the game that I didn't pay attention to the music, except to note that it did move up and down with what was happening at the time. As always, I demo every game on casual mode to get a feel for the game play and this one is excellent. I've been waiting for this one since I beta tested it months ago.

HOPs are quite interactive, clean, clear and items are not difficult to find. I found them to be quite fun and somewhat challenging in some areas. The puzzles were very challenging, even though you could use a hint, e.g. do this to make that happen. Within the game, you will find clues to what is happening in the story and why. You must collect these clues in order to go to the "investigation board," where you will get the information you are looking for. Hint is quite helpful, fills quickly and transports you to the next location, if further than around the corner. This is one of my favorite features of any game. I did find that the "skip" button for the puzzles was pretty slow filling. I didn't remember the beta being quite that slow.

Collectibles: 84 puzzle pieces. Not sure what happens when you get them, but they are not that hard to spot. There are also 9 morphing buildings to collect. They pop in and out fairly quickly, so pay attention.

I was drawn into this game from the beginning and the more I played, the better it got. It's just a very nice game and one that I have to add to my collection. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players. It has enough action and constant movement to keep you interested and wanting more, and finally some challenge. I rarely give 5 stars to any game, but in my opinion, this one deserves them.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 25, 14 6:08 PM
I'll try to keep it short (it's based on the demo).

After the release of Madame Fate's Carnival, we have a sequel to Dire Grove.

Before I go into the storyline, I do have a couple of complaints, game-wise. Most of the graphics were straight from the first Dire Grove. Also, some of the tasks were the same as the first game, so much so that I felt as if I was replaying Dire Grove. It felt more like a remake than a sequel, and the changes in the graphics were so light,(the exact same car from the first one outside instead of inside[ didn't we fix it in the first one?], and some light changes in the backyard area [we have electric problems yet again]), they didn't felt like changes at all. The area where the stones were located was in an open field last I remember, but now it's in a forest.

The big puzzles were about the most interesting thing, as far as playing the game goes. It had elements of Ravenhearst 1. But I do have to question the decision to include a "deduction" machine. I'm sorry, but at this stage in the MCF series, it's redundant, and stupid. We didn't need one in the first MCF (Huntsville, about the only thing there was the pieces that you assembled to solve the case), nor in the first story-integrating one (Ravenhearst). All we needed was a journal, and that was strictly to keep track of the clues and events to solve the case. IMO, if you can't actually deduce things as you progress, you're not really a Master Detective.

As far as the storyline goes, it did began interesting, but the constant rehash of the tasks from the first Dire Grove just about drained any interest. By the time the demo was over, the devs. broke the cardinal rule of not giving away the whole story in the trial.

So, all that, I wouldn't recommend it. Their first try at the MCF series was a lot better, and that's saying a lot given that I'm not a fan of their sequel to Madame Fate, and the unholy mismash that they did with the Ravenhearst story. I just hope that if they are going to do the next installment, that it will be a different story, and not a continuation of one of the MCF stories (two sequels in a row is a bit much, IMO).

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Ed

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 25, 14 7:34 PM

MCF Series Goes "Sacred"

sa·cred adjective \?s?-kr?d\
1. worthy of religious worship : very holy

Setting: you are a detective this time. You've been summoned back to Dire Grove because a severe chill has descended, as well as the occurrence of wolf and bear attacks. Mystical druid "Mistwalkers" roam the woods. What is the cause of these events? Well that's why you're here.

I am usually a somewhat hard "grader" when it comes to these games. And besides, this is a MCF (*may it live forever*) game. Yes, I have a higher standard for MCF (*may it live forever*) games because this series is the one by which all others are measured.

Having said all that, I liked the the trial. It was fun to play. Is this a five star game? No, in my opinion, but only because it is a MCF (*may it live forever*) game. The story is simply too derivative for this to be a five star game, and we cannot forgive derivative in this series (the one by which all others are measured). Especially because this is back at Dire Grove, the location of one of the better games in this series (*may it live...etc).

Naturally, the artwork is great. The sounds and music are good. Hidden objects are very interactive but not difficult. The puzzles are good to great. You will have to think about these puzzles - they are similar to the "Ravenhearst" type, but not quite as clever. The voices are good. So everything is good - except the story is just OK. That makes it not quite "Dire Grove -worthy," but fortunately neither is it "Shadow Lake -like."

You will also gather sets of clues. When you have completed each set, you will make a "deduction" and more of the story will be revealed. There are five (5) difficulty levels, the last of which is timed. And there is a jump map which is an actual map (yay!)

This CE has 84 collectible jigsaw puzzle pieces, morphing objects (buildings), a bonus level, strategy guide and the other usual pseudo-extras.

Sacred Grove falls short of being "worthy of worship" but it is a solid entry. Rating: four cold beers...I mean bears.

Edited on 11/25/2014 at 7:40:04 PM PST

1goodmom
Flounder
Flounder
2,053 Posts

[Post New]by 1goodmom on Nov 25, 14 7:45 PM
For me? IMHO this games lacks the snap and hiss that was always present in the MCF's of days gone by. I bought it and will play it but so far it shows me nada. It makes me sad to see mediocre games touted as the "best". Unfortuately this is not the best. they would have done better but decided not to, So another MCF game fails. What's new?

Go to: