TGT Escape Rosecliff Island

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 15, 09 1:09 AM
Thank you Spintop! They are the best maker of the "junkpile" HOGs. I love their games and will buy this one even if it doesn't make the "list".

A creepy take on the haunted house mystery, I think. I have only played 20 min. It has the usual Spintop features. Find the Locks to open more play later. It has the usual punny list items which I love. New in this game are items that need to be combined to make a match: put the sardines in the can, the egg in the nest, etc.

Spintop games are ususally pretty lenthy. I don't know how long this is but it promises to be long. Another feature of Spintop is the return to most locations which gives you another chance to find and Locks you missed. I don't know if that will happen in this game but it seems likely.

Nice graphics and OK music with some creepy sound effects are all pluses here. No Timer! Hints are probably renewing, I only used one so far and forgot to notice if it began to renew but thiese games always seem to have endless Hints.

I played one simple mini so far, a Match 3. There promises to be a mini at the end of each level.

This game gets my Some people don't like junkpiles so they may not go for this. I sometimes don't like them, but i have yet to meet a Spintop I didn't like and this may be the best one so far!

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

Re:TGT Escape Rosecliff Island

[Post New]by Anniejo on Apr 15, 09 1:12 AM
I have downloaded and will play later, looks like being a good one.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Apr 15, 09 1:30 AM
I'm with you Bribling, played & finished this one, I also love the "junkpile" HOGS from Spintop - it does have all the usual Spintop features and was a lot of fun as usual

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 15, 09 1:47 AM
Loving it!

[Post New]by PeaHeath60 on Apr 15, 09 1:51 AM
Am Loving this game!! I hope it turns out to be a FF ...I'm almost at my Mousepad

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Apr 15, 09 2:03 AM
I have already played the demo from another site, but waited until BF released it...I have now paid for it and just finished downloading it. Will start playing later today. Yippee...I'm excited that we're finally getting some good HOGs...(not BF fault either)

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 15, 09 2:35 AM
Spintop seems to have fully embraced the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Escape Rosecliff Island is pretty much identical to any Mystery P.I. or Amazing Adventure game you care to name, with a few small, but noticably pleasing, additions.

First of all they have dipped their toe into the Interactive evolution with a *very* simple combine object puzzle in each Hidden Object screen. Pick up and egg and place it on a nest, put a painting in a frame, sardines in a can. This is a nice change to break up the monotony but not so radically challenging as to put off HO traditionalists.

One thing Spintop has always done, which I'm surprised other HOs haven't embraced as well, is the use of word play clues in object lists: an umbrella becomes a "rain protector", a half a coconut a "split nut", a baseball bat a "sluggers tool". With this itteration they've added many more of these on each screen which I personally love and again, breaks up the monotony of simplistic HO play.

Offered again are the items to find in each scene to unlock the bonus games, which is always a fun diversion. There is an option for unlimited hints, which I think is new and glad to report there is also a Relaxed Mode, though pretty sure this is standard for Spintop, god bless 'em. I've seen 2 mini-games so far (1/2 hour of demo) - Match 3 and rotate to form picture, nothing new there.

Amazing Adventures: Around the World was the first game to prompt the question for me, "Can a game be too long?" as I slogged through the last few levels of that. I passed on the last 2 Mystery P.I.s because screen after screen of repeated scenes of more lists of stuff to find just doesn't do it for me any more. BUT I think this one has just enough "sugar on top" to make me take the plunge again. We'll see if I regret that.

...a nothing to go gaga over but a sturdy, comfortable Hidden Object Poodlebear Approved.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 15, 09 2:54 AM
I've been waiting for this one! I already did 2 hours of trial (from Spintop and Popcap) and wrote a "sneak peek" about it. If you like Mystery PI: New York, you will like this one. If that game bored you silly, odds are you will get bored before the end of this one. Use "Options" to turn Relaxed mode on, and if you like lots of hints to turn on Unlimited hints as well.

edit: If you did a trial from another site and want to continue where you left off, you will need to copy the save game state to the new location. For Vista, this is found at:
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\SpinTop Games\Escape Rosecliff Island
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\PopCapv1002\Escape Rosecliff Island

To make it work in the BigFishGames version, paste the files into:
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\BigFishv1002\Escape Rosecliff Island

Odds are if you have WinXP it will be in C:\Documents and Settings in a similar subfolder. Just search for a folder named "Escape Rosecliff Island" and you should find it.

edit #2: Looks like this one is NOT a "Felix Favorite". I'm getting it anyway.

Edited on 04/15/2009 at 3:16:31 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 15, 09 3:27 AM
lordkalvan wrote:Looks like this one is NOT a "Felix Favorite".

Not necessarily so. When Family Flux was launched as TGT they said it would be added when it was available to all, so still might make it tomorrow.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 15, 09 3:38 AM
Oh, that's good news! Not that it matters to me - I didn't use more than 5 minutes of my trial (just enough to verify that the game worked correctly and that I did indeed manage to get it to continue from where my Spintop+Popcap trials left off) before I hit the Buy button.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 15, 09 4:16 AM
I am another one who just loves this game. Also letting my friend know it is here as I always recommend HOGs to her that are pretty simple and straightforward.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Apr 15, 09 4:35 AM
Looks interesting, but am I the only one who thinks they took some of their ideas from RTR? The gate and the house and the steps leading up to a house look a bit similar to the steps up to Victor's house... I guess this one is different because it's on an island... I am going to try it out later, and if it's a Felix Favorite then I'll get it.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Apr 15, 09 4:38 AM
Yay! Like someone else said...spintop has a formula down that is working, and they are sticking to it. It may not be for everyone, but it's definitely my cup of tea. Thank you BF for getting this one to us quickly. Can't wait to play it all the way through.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 15, 09 4:58 AM
You know one thing I have to say that I always appreciate about the Spintop HOs is at least they take the time to adjust the items so all the texture, tone and lighting of objects is the same as the background. I do lots of Photoshop for fun and this is a relatively easy but time consuming thing but it makes it for a much more cohesive feeling game. I don't normally like "jumble" type HOs all that much but when this step is taken, and when it's in this sort of environment, it's far less jarring to see that "junk pile". Really enjoing the art in this.

...and yes, Rose427, I did notice similarities to Ravenhearst... let's call it a homage...

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Apr 15, 09 5:05 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess. I am guessing that is how BFG looks at how Rosecliff pays homage

Glad I am not the only one who noticed it though Poodle.

Okay time to download.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Apr 15, 09 5:16 AM

Looks like im going to be sent the advert for this tomorrow, will look forward to giving it a go, have 6 credits left, so maybe end up with it.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 15, 09 5:22 AM
bribling wrote: Another feature of Spintop is the return to most locations which gives you another chance to find and Locks you missed. I don't know if that will happen in this game but it seems likely.

Yep, it does. Just got to my first repeat area and I'd apparently missed a lock first time through, so will be able to get it this time. ...assuming I can find it...

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 15, 09 5:29 AM
Thanks I enjoy Spin Top games and have already purchased it. I the addition of the little "put the sardines in the can" extra type puzzles instead of just finding a tin of sardines.

It might also count as a Felix Favourite tomorrow when it is the "Game of the Day" as Picman said that 3 or 4 of this weeks games would be on Felix's list. *Fins crossed* that it does.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 15, 09 5:44 AM
Since the Spintop Mystery PI games have never been on a BF promo, I doubt this one will be.

Why is it that EVERY game that comes out now is compared to RTR? I didn't see any comparison except an old house.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Apr 15, 09 5:49 AM
Well I haven't compared EVERY game to RTR I just noticed the gate and the steps and the house that reminded me Greatly of RTR.

If it's as good as everyone says, hopefully it is on the Felix Favorite list, I don't know how some of those games got on there.

Go to: