prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

Please BFG

[Post New]by prchalpn on Nov 26, 14 12:28 PM
I love Elephants games but NO ONE does MCF better than you! I
I always look forward to the game every year, and get so excited when it arrives!
But when you passed the reigns to another developer, it hasn't quite been the same.
Don't get me wrong, they did a good job and I love their games for the most part but please if there is anyway to take ownership back on the game, Get it back and put your BF touch back in it. I know these games take along time to create, with all the research and all. But only the original creator knows how to do it.

NifaFifa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Re:Please BFG

[Post New]by NifaFifa on Nov 26, 14 2:39 PM
I agree. I miss the live actors, it's one of the things I LOVED about the original Dire Grove, and 13th Skull. I'm not that far in yet, but no, it doesn't feel like a MCF game at all really.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 26, 14 7:18 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one

I am only early on in the game but I'm feeling the same level of frustration as I felt with Dire Grove. Hunting everywhere for that elusive inventory item, only to finally unlock an area and explore around, pick up some inventory items and of course they aren't what I wanted. I've missed that in games. I also find the puzzles different and somewhat difficult. So far, I'm very content and don't see a difference.

I hated the live actors so I'm not sorry to see that go.

But that's just my opinion

AshleyD1979
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by AshleyD1979 on Nov 26, 14 8:57 PM
To me this felt very MCF- even more so than last year's Cursed Carnival game.

But I could always go for more, more, more classic BFG MCF! lol

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Nov 26, 14 10:23 PM
My two cents...I feel like this is an "enhanced" version of MCF games. Also, the devs took notice as far as what we do/don't like in games and adjusted. I do love the older ones (esp the 1st & 2nd Ravenhearst)...but welcome the continuation of Dire Grove which after playing, I did have a lot of ?'s. So yeah, I think this is a good game...and just like the first MCF (I'd never played a game like it beforehand) will take getting used to style for some players. Thanks !

Edited on 11/26/2014 at 10:24:26 PM PST

guppy3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by guppy3 on Nov 27, 14 7:51 PM
Everyone is a little different but I do agree with the concept that MCF games are the best. I have the all and replay them all interminably and haven't bought so many other games it's ridiculous but I always buy these. I LOVE the weird puzzles but must admit that these are more weird. Afraid the "logic" is somewhat more elusive than usual. I don't care whether live or artistic characters but I could do without SO MUCH dialogue. I disliked that component of 13th skull which is why Dire Grove and Return to Ravenhearst and Escape Ravenhearst were my favorite all time games until Fate's Carnival game. The combination of reduced dialogue, morphing objects and the extraordinary puzzles have made that my #1. Perhaps this latest will grow on me but I must admit that the excessive dialogue and hopping from location to location for everything (something I typically enjoy) became the drudge between the puzzles. All that said, this is a GREAT game.

PS Just finished the bonus and was distressed to find my least favorite gimmick in a classic MCF game! The ever popular helpful critter. PLEASE stop this. I will say that the best part of the game may be the alternate ending because you had minimum cut scenes and limited dialogue. However you had to redo a puzzle previously worked which is a real CHEAP out. I gave this four stars but maybe should have been three. It is a good game; better than most recent releases; however I'm no longer sure it is great. Oh well, made for some hours of fun.

Edited on 11/27/2014 at 11:36:43 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 27, 14 10:36 PM
I don't care for the older MCF games. They were good when they came out, and I played and enjoyed them at the time, but then I moved on to the next and the next...

(The only thing I don't care about Elephant Games' games is that they overuse the blue and purple colours. )

To me, an MCF game is just another HOG. The only difference to me was that the MCF games were the first to use those extensive mini games. But that's it.

Sometimes an MCF game is more exciting than other times, but honestly, I have played better HOGs than the MCF series. Just the way how I feel about them.

ETA: Also, I don't really care for real people in games. Much prefer those animated and really nice-looking characters that are in this game.

Edited on 11/28/2014 at 12:20:04 AM PST

FrauMeike
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by FrauMeike on Nov 28, 14 3:01 AM
I'm afraid it's not just the question of Elephant or BF making the game.

The first crash, real shattering crash, happened with "Shadow Lake", even though BF made the game themselves. I was eager to know what happened here and did a little research.
The only (visible) difference between SL and the former MCF games were the team involved. Up to "Escape from Ravenhearst", all games were created and developed by the same people and under the direction of MCF inventor Adrian Woods. I don't know why Adrian quit working on the series, but when he left, BF tried to make the next game on their own and failed miserably. "Shadow Lake" was the first game without Adrian.

The only thing they could do with their driverless MCF vehicle was a) involve fans in the process of making the game, i.e. asking them for their favorite game features, settings and stuff, and b) getting an experienced developer aboard who would be capable to create at least a "round" game.

Yes, Elephant games are made with cookie cutters, they are interchangeable, and have nothing exceptional. They simply don't come up with something original, daring or innovative.

But remembering the devastating "Shadow Lake incident", I hardly believe that MCF games would become better again without the help of an external developer.

Ivy10
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by Ivy10 on Nov 28, 14 7:44 AM
I'm sorry to say that I didn't even finish this game because I was just too bored. The game had absolutely nothing to do with the original game and I just couldn't get into it.

I agree that the downfall started with Shadow Lake. When Madame Fate came out last year I was very excited thinking that we all had been heard but that game was also just another Elephant Game trying to masquerade as an MCF game and they just are NOT the same, IMO.

For now I'm giving up - it seems like the good ol' days are over as far as the original MCF games go. Elephant does a good job but if I wanted to play another Elephant Game then I would buy one.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Nov 28, 14 10:01 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the MCF Games but I just feel like it doesn't have that nail biting, jumping out of skin feel like previous. Their still good but I guess its just me. And I like the live actors. It brought the realness to the game for me.
I hope everyone enjoyed playing it!!

ETA: Thank you FrauMeike! I didn't know all that. Guess that's why I felt the last couple years it was off.

Edited on 11/28/2014 at 10:14:15 AM PST

karatopa
Catfish
Catfish
1,550 Posts

[Post New]by karatopa on Nov 28, 14 11:20 AM
hope i won't be disappointed the Ravenhurst games were my introduction to MCF i loved them until i was traumatised by the last one i don't think i will ever get over that pimple but i loved the other one of these even if not related so fingers crossed

BFGMCFFAN
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by BFGMCFFAN on Nov 28, 14 11:57 AM
If Elephant develops MCF 12, they should put more feeling into it. If it's really Ravenhearst 4 they should bring back ALL MCF SOUNDS from BFG. First they brought back the "missplace" item sound this year, what I really love, but there's also the "pick up item" sound, the Inventory List sound and the case report.
As much as I liked the deductions in the new game, for another Ravenhearst, I want the Case Report back, as in the BFG games.

If BFG Studios develops the game, then do it like Escape from Ravenhearst, just without MO's and incloude super puzzles and a bonus Chapter.
I really wish that BFG returns to MCF, because their games were so unique. Now MCF still is my all time favorite game, but the feeling is lost. So it's 10 years MCF next year. Isn't this time for BFG Studios to take it back again?

sandybottom
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by sandybottom on Nov 28, 14 1:12 PM
Because I just replayed Dire Grove a couple days ago (and managed to get the entire collection of achievements), it is fresh in my mind how much I enjoyed the "pick-up sound" but alas, the Sacred Grove achievement of 3 items found in 3 seconds, etc. would not be possible. The lack of morphing items is what most disappoints me as I typically must replay, and replay again until they've all been located in the game.

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Nov 29, 14 10:22 AM
I absolutely LOVED the Madame Fate MCF that came out last! It had everything I loved in it, the morphs, the collectables, and all the different and colorful characters and scenes were brilliant to me. I think I enjoyed that one the best.

I agree with Valdy that I have moved on. Playing the old ones just feels old now. Maybe because I've been a member for so long and have all the games. I love the animated characters because they can do things real actors can't.

But I do miss the quick snap close ups of the first Dire Grove series that scared me and made me jump. I didn't buy Shadow Lake because I don't like Ouija or Demon games that are too real. I much preferred the Bloody Mary game. I really enjoyed that without the raising of demons theme. I'm tired of that. I think a game can be scary without the whole Ouija theme being dragged out. And I don't like live actors or too much dialogue.

Anyway, I really love the extras like morphing objects and collectables and I loved the extra pumpkin touches in the last Elephant game. Just wish every scene had the panning. That was a different feel too. But I couldn't follow the story.

I've been hoping for a new Drawn game for a while now, and I just hope the voice of the old man is still telling the story. I loved the first, but one of them was just too confusing. I think developers are trying too hard on story. Sometimes simple is better. I thought the last Elephant story with the panning was technically good, but the story was just everywhere and really impossible to follow.

A story needs a protagonist, an antagonist, (good guy and bad guy or opposites) and a small sub plot. That's all. Shakespeare really only used three main characters in each of his greatest plays (MacBeth, Hamlet, King Lear, etc) and used them to create conflict which made the story cohesive and easy to follow a universal theme; betrayal, revenge, love, etc.

And I really hate black and white scenes. It's hard to find collectables and see details that hide in the background. I play a game for color. I love color movies. Sure, some are in black and white, but a good story doesn't need it anymore. Having vision problems has made me appreciate all the beautiful colors of the world before I lose them to blackness forever.

Thanks for reading. I often speak my mind but I never mean to offend, and I truly cherish this site and all gamers that are not trolls.

LET THERE BE PEACE ON EARTH AND LET IT BEGIN WITH ME

Edited on 11/29/2014 at 10:29:49 AM PST

Go to: