Foul Language?

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 15, 09 8:56 PM
Am I the only person outraged that the "F" word is used in a derrogatory remark about a woman in this game???? I frankly am so appalled that Big Fish would put any game out here with both foul language, and a lack of moral perspective when talking about a woman!!
YIKES!

 
flaxin
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by flaxin on Apr 16, 09 12:09 AM
I'm not sure what F you're talking about, but I do believe there is a warning about the content..

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 16, 09 9:13 AM
When he goes up the stairs and talks to Billy I think his name is, at the piano.... it is one thing to insert the word as an expletive like as in "F**K this or that...but to say "I wouldn't F**K that (woman or girl)...in regards to the deaf mute woman on the beach.... is highly offensive. There isn't a warning on the planet for that (such as "this may be highly offensive and denigrating to women"

nor should there BE a place for that in a game as games are touted as TEACHING CHILDREN!

 
MamaNkid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by MamaNkid on Apr 16, 09 6:11 PM
I agree and disagree.

First of all, I agree that it's a terrible comment. The character who made it is obviously a pig. It's an extremely vulgar and sexist thing to say.

I disagree that the game should be removed from the site because of this part of the game. It is a comment from a character in the story, it is not the moral message of the game itself. Also, games are not simply playthings for children anymore. Some games may have been created to teach children excellent educational and moral lessons, but this one is not intended for children; the game's description doesn't promote it as a children's game. Some games, this one included, are intended to tell a story for adults, like many other media formats. Would you be protesting Sinking Island so strongly if it had been a movie or a book instead of a game?

Just remember that it's the (skewed) opinion of a fictional person. Treat it as you would if you had heard a character in a movie say it. Finally, though the character is obviously still a jerk, he is hardly the most misogynistic character in a game available at BFG. Charles in the Ravenhearst games, anyone?

 
Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Apr 16, 09 6:41 PM
totally

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 16, 09 7:34 PM
Well gee....Big Fish with all its childlike cartooney graphics for the site itself, gives me the impression it is a cutesy site for families and children. I am a fairly new game player of about a year, yet look to other sites to find more complex or "mature" games, not X rated. It is because it is on this site that I was so shocked.

I was unaware that there is an adult rated level of games in Big Fish and nor do I care to find them if they are being touted as that...and if there are such games they should be put in an Adult location that is made very clear that they are R rated or X rated. Like they do with books and magazines in stores, behind the counter wrapped in plastic with portions of them covered up so it is clear to everyone what they are.

Regardless of rating, and I am not defending anything of Big Fish's...this game differs from Ravenhearst (which has its disturbing elements) in that it is made to be more "realistic" in its own way and appears to be a mystery to solve. In any murder mystery you know there is a disturbed person at the end of it.

If someone is going to say this has explicit languaging or whatever...being a mystery and solving of a murder one can assume it might have some gore and language or whatever goes along with solving a murder mystery. And I've worked in non-traditional fields for women so coarse language is not new to me. Nor am I such a prude that I am offended by one word if in the right context.

The comment made that I am referring to is not only denigrating of women by objectifying the one referred to... as a sex object, (which is what women have fought against for many years....anyone remembering the sexual harrassment emergence in the 1970s? and the millions of parading feminists?)... but has NO POINT in the storyline! It just makes the writers come off as a group of sophomoric morons trying to smart mouth to another bunch of sophomoric guys at the expense of women for no reason! Its the same old thing of the good old boys' club members nudging each other to pass along a joke that puts women down and humiliates women which it is meant to do.

Big Fish tells me they are working with developers to change some of the content of the game and if that is true, then I doubt it is because of ONE person's objection. They also said that because you can't download a demo then children can't download it. As though that is enough of a deterrent because only people under the age of 18 shouldn't be exposed.

 
DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Apr 16, 09 8:07 PM
I agree with WhipFish. There's no rhyme or reason for language such as this being in games without there being a rating system. Warning about content doesn't cover the particular vulgarity of the words or the insinuation included in the words that WhipFish is reporting. Personally, I don't buy games with offensive language in it and I would definitely have requested my money back had I purchased it when it came out.

Vulgar language limits the vocabulary and lets the world know that you don't respect yourself, much less others. To include it in a game and direct it specifically towards women is even worse.

Considering that BigFishGames yanked Dangerous High School Girls for a particularly offensive scene directed at women......I would wonder why this one is allowed to stay.

I'm not a prude when it comes to my personal life since I use some choice words at times myself......but I don't put them in games to sell to the general public either. As I've stated, I would request a refund if any game I ever purchased had the language that WhipFish has reported..............even if it was used as a expletive........and even it was only used ONCE!!

That's my personal opinion and I'm sticking to it!!

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 16, 09 8:24 PM
Thank you Doobie!

I DID in fact quite vocally object to Big Fish before I ever put a comment up online. And this afternoon they responded, by refunding the cost and a free game and also say they are working with developers to change it somewhat. Hopefully they are actually doing that...no offense big fish you've always been good to me.

But I also don't think other members should be kept in the dark about such an issue because heaven knows I am not the only person offended by such comments (and way less offended than other people I know).

If people read the objections of some and still choose to buy the game, that is their choice. I would have preferred to know it because I wouldn't have bought it. I don't want to support game writers such as that, with my money. The whole game could have happened without that comment or with "Billy" saying "I'm not attracted to that woman" if it plays a part in the game at some future point. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to be tactful. Well obviously it takes someone with a bit more intelligence I guess...

 
karstenmp1
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by karstenmp1 on Apr 17, 09 12:45 AM
Not to offend anyone???
that would be nearly impossible.
I have a son ,OK now he is 17 years old, but when he was younger he played hard core action games.
You can't prevent this unless you lock them up in a room without computers or mobile phones.

Whipfish, I can easily understand your issue, but then again you can't blame BFG when they directly write a warning of content.
I haven't played the game, but if there are some foul language included you were warned.

Next issue would probaly be religions.....

BFG has provided me with tons of gameplay and never have I been offended, so I say keep the games coming (with content warning) and lets play on.
Well this is just my humble opinnion.

Karsten

Edited on 04/17/2009 at 12:46:09 AM PST


 
KenneyG
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Foul Language?

[Post New]by KenneyG on Apr 17, 09 2:25 AM
WhipFish wrote:Am I the only person outraged that the "F" word is used in a derrogatory remark about a woman in this game???? I frankly am so appalled that Big Fish would put any game out here with both foul language, and a lack of moral perspective when talking about a woman!!
YIKES!

 
KenneyG
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Foul Language?

[Post New]by KenneyG on Apr 17, 09 2:25 AM
WhipFish wrote:Am I the only person outraged that the "F" word is used in a derrogatory remark about a woman in this game???? I frankly am so appalled that Big Fish would put any game out here with both foul language, and a lack of moral perspective when talking about a woman!!
YIKES!

 
KenneyG
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by KenneyG on Apr 17, 09 2:26 AM
I was upset also. Someone had to know it was in there. I saw no warning about language. I would not have bought this game, had I known.

Edited on 04/17/2009 at 2:34:48 AM PST


 
KenneyG
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by KenneyG on Apr 17, 09 2:29 AM
MamaNkid wrote:I agree and disagree.

First of all, I agree that it's a terrible comment. The character who made it is obviously a pig. It's an extremely vulgar and sexist thing to say.

I disagree that the game should be removed from the site because of this part of the game. It is a comment from a character in the story, it is not the moral message of the game itself. Also, games are not simply playthings for children anymore. Some games may have been created to teach children excellent educational and moral lessons, but this one is not intended for children; the game's description doesn't promote it as a children's game. Some games, this one included, are intended to tell a story for adults, like many other media formats. Would you be protesting Sinking Island so strongly if it had been a movie or a book instead of a game?

Just remember that it's the (skewed) opinion of a fictional person. Treat it as you would if you had heard a character in a movie say it. Finally, though the character is obviously still a jerk, he is hardly the most misogynistic character in a game available at BFG. Charles in the Ravenhearst games, anyone?

 
KenneyG
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by KenneyG on Apr 17, 09 2:30 AM
I avoid movies with foul language. I try to stay away from all that stuff. I cannot avoid it in real life, but should not have to endure it in a game.

 
slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by slm1948 on Apr 17, 09 2:59 AM
I agree that we need a separate section of BFG for those of us who do not want any censorship and do not want other players to have the power to demand that certain games be altered or removed from this site.


 
twilyght
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by twilyght on Apr 17, 09 7:32 AM
The comment surprised me, even with the warning BUT the comment was not made to be disrespectful to the woman. he did *not* say 'I wouldnt **** THAT.' what he was referring to was his EIGHTY TWO year old grandfathers desire to have 'relations' with a TWENTY TWO year old woman.

If you've paid attention to some of Sonia's comments (and others of the family) you would know the old man is a pervert and possibly a molester. Infact 'the accident' where the old man becomes paralyzed and the woman becomes mute seems to be a direct result of his attempt to rape and/or molest her. She attempted to get away and they both fell off the pyramid in the area. He was paralyzed (rightfully so) and she was so traumatized by the event she never spoke again. Infact, some people on the island seem to believe that she almost died as well.

I'm not even halfway done with the game so my conclusions of the old man's moral standards may be wrong, but right now my gut is telling me the old man was definitely a pervert and I'm not sad he's dead at all... (and I realize this is a game lol but even with murder mystery games when they show the body and I find out more about the person that was killed, I usually have a moment of sadness touch me... before I remember its not real and its just a game... but with this guy? nah, I shuddered as soon as I saw his body bleh!)

This is NOT a kids game. Even if it didnt have the **** reference I still wouldnt feel comfortable letting my 12 year old twin nieces play this game! However.. its absolutely fine for me even if I still get creeped out by the storyline!

 
Therlin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by Therlin on Apr 17, 09 7:53 AM
The game is clearly marked as containing explicit language. If you don't like it, move on. Several people do not mind this content. Why deprive them of what could otherwise be a good game?

As for "cartoony and cutesy", so is South Park, and I don't let kids watch it.

 
LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by LizzieK on Apr 17, 09 7:54 AM
KenneyG wrote:I was upset also. Someone had to know it was in there. I saw no warning about language. I would not have bought this game, had I known.
Hi KenneyG, The Big Fish customer service is great. I believe they will refund your money or give you another game credit if you write to them and tell them that the game offends you.

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 17, 09 10:04 AM
Good gosh it is also surprising at the amount of flaming just because people express an opinion. I did not tell Big Fish to take this off their site, I expressed my shock and concern. That is called an OPINION.

 
WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Foul Language?

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 17, 09 10:06 AM
Therlin wrote:The game is clearly marked as containing explicit language. ]

* * * * * * * * *

Again explicit language and denigration of women aren't the same thing. And if anyone thinks that isn't denigrating to women then you must have either not been born, or had your head under a rock during the Women's Movement.

 
 
 
 
Go to: