Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

All That Was Wrong With This Game (spoilers included)

[Post New]by Wigi on Nov 29, 14 1:06 PM
I have never made a thread on BF forums before, but am so disappointed with this game I need to rant.

I know there are review and technical problems threads but it wouldn't be fair to clog up those threads with ranting.

First off the nonsense of the story.

It's set in Dire Grove and nobody thinks to say "oh, I hope it's not the banshee making trouble again".

And where were all these Druids when that trouble kicked off anyway? The premise of the original was that the cold was unexpected, unusual and sudden (Britain has a temperate climate thanks to the gulf stream).

So then we get to the bit where the brother has disappeared, nobody bothers to go to the family and say "we found this youngster with no memory wandering in the woods".
Cheers for that Mr and Mrs Druid, that isn't going to cause people to mistrust you now is it?

Then on top of that we find out the wife/mother has been murdered by a member of the same group who happened to be Alister Dalimar who also happened to be her father.

How exactly?
And when did he have this daughter?
First Ravenhurst game set in the 1800's, still producing children a good hundred years later?
To put it crudely, with whom, or should we just draw a veil?
And without telling the son Charles of course.

Considering how busy old Alister has been, it's a wonder he has had any time to research immortality, and what about all that business with the locks he learnt that was mentioned in "Escape" which was the answer to immortality?
(which at least tied into the first Ravenhurst game and went some way to explaining why Charles was obsessed with locks)

The story was balderdash, I honestly think the developers just wrote some random notes, bunged them in a hat and picked them out at random.

Then there was the mistakes.
No feel for setting, no feel for language and accents, no historical references that weren't completely wrong.

Dire Grove founded in the 1700's and described constantly as a city?
How many cities have people seen with two houses and a shop?

The "museum" is a tudor style building, that's a hundred or so years earlier. And they have displays about early settlers/bronze age/paleolithic. In the UK, chances are the settlement of "Dire Grove" dated from those times or at least the Doomsday Book, 600 years earlier.

And lastly, the last bears in Britain were in 1000AD, the last wolves when Henry VIII was on the throne.

Anyway, feeling better now so that's enough for now, but I could go on................. .

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

Re:All That Was Wrong With This Game (spoilers included)

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Nov 29, 14 2:30 PM
Wigi you made me smile

To stop myself getting het up about these things, I've decided casual games which are set in Britian, are actually set in a parallel universe.... then there are no inconsistencies or plot holes... because of string theory, all games will make perfect sense in one of the universes.

This is the universe, where Washington State is the cradle of civilisation, Jon Bon Jovi discovered Europe in 1711 and founded the capital city of England a year later, naming it, Dire Grove... oops scrap that he was a lieutenant something to do with U-571 and won a war after stealing a machine or something Unfortunately Dire Grove only had a hotel, shop, chemist, museum and a few houses dotted around, so the inhabitants with yorkshire accents decided it was a poor do that their city had less pubs than a hamlet (which everyone knows has at least 2 pubs, villages have at least 4) and moved to Blackpool to sell plastic boobs to lads on stag nights and confectionary in the shape of sorta anatomically correct male parts to squiffy ladies on hen nights. This left the city of Dire Grove to the folk with american, west country and mockney accents to deal with any wandering evil which may drifted by. The druids are just city bankers who like to run around the woods at the weekend in animal skins. It was definitely a wednesday when I, as MCF detective, came to Dire Grove last time.

Oh and Charles Dalimar exiled the ex-Dire Grovers some time in the 1800s for turning Blackpool into a vulgar den of iniquity, demolished the Pleasure Beach and built cliffs out of the rubble then perched Ravenhurst on top.

I've just remembered who discovered Europe... Walt Disney

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Nov 29, 14 3:29 PM
Well don't take my word as gospel, as my grip in this particular universe is pretty shaky, but it was Felix with a wad of cash in the meeting room

As an aside, despite the inconsistencies I really enjoyed playing it, but I'm a sucker for convoluted puzzles

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 29, 14 3:57 PM
This is a true story and I'm embarrassed that the developer got so many facts wrong!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 29, 14 4:48 PM
The first time I ever posted in the forums, I thought maybe I get a conversation started about the cognitive dissonance I experienced....playing my first Steampunk game.
I thought it was laughable that some little army from an alternate Universe was going to take over 'modern' Europe or America.....I never really figured out where it was set....and there were tons of errors and inconsistencies.
OOPS! lol, I sent myself off track!
So, this little army wearing majik robes and carrying steam weapons was going to invade a modern country...and my reaction, although I was enjoying the game was WTF?!!

Sadly, most of the answers I got, instead of the conversation I wanted were along the lines of "It's a game and it is set in an alternative or parallel world."
an "get over yourself, or you will drive yourself crazy"
I took all their advice.
Yes, often there are embarrassing mistakes all over the place, and weird names for objects like an hourglass called a sandglass....
oooh, and my favorite....fireflies collected to light a lantern.

I am glad I followed the advice, and stopped wanting anything in the games to make sense.

Sorry to hear this game didn't tickle your entertainment centers....
I am loving it!

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Nov 29, 14 4:55 PM
Tauret wrote:Wow, I knew there were inconsistencies in the MCF series and other games set in other countries, but I had no idea it was a plague released on the world by weak-minded Americans.

Perhaps someone could explain to me, in very simple and childlike language (no multi-syllabic words please or words with more than one definition or words that aren’t commonly used in the U.S. city where I reside) how we American morons managed to infect a developer that is in Russia?

Firewater?

I wasn't having a go at developers' nationality, just the laze with which they churned out this game.

I am aware that there are mistakes in games, but usually they are somewhat affectionate and you can have a giggle (cliffs in Blackpool for instance, if you knew Blackpool, anything done to the place is an improvement).
Or the Queen phoning up the MD to thank him.

This one was just insulting to the intelligence. It had no sense of place at all because it completely disregarded everything about the country it was meant to be set in.

Not surprised they are based in Russia (I didn't know that), it did reflect that country more than Britain.

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Nov 29, 14 5:12 PM
tookat wrote:The first time I ever posted in the forums, I thought maybe I get a conversation started about the cognitive dissonance I experienced....playing my first Steampunk game.
I thought it was laughable that some little army from an alternate Universe was going to take over 'modern' Europe or America.....I never really figured out where it was set....and there were tons of errors and inconsistencies.
OOPS! lol, I sent myself off track!
So, this little army wearing majik robes and carrying steam weapons was going to invade a modern country...and my reaction, although I was enjoying the game was WTF?!!

Sadly, most of the answers I got, instead of the conversation I wanted were along the lines of "It's a game and it is set in an alternative or parallel world."
an "get over yourself, or you will drive yourself crazy"
I took all their advice.
Yes, often there are embarrassing mistakes all over the place, and weird names for objects like an hourglass called a sandglass....
oooh, and my favorite....fireflies collected to light a lantern.

I am glad I followed the advice, and stopped wanting anything in the games to make sense.

Sorry to hear this game didn't tickle your entertainment centers....
I am loving it!

Are you saying you can't!!!

Well there goes a childhood belief.

I understand what you are saying, but this game took it to anther level IMO for nothing other than indifference.

And it's called a MCF game and the care was missing.

Remember the first Ravenhurst game and how well they did the diary entries so that it was believable that it was written by a young Victorian lady?
How much computing/technical expertise was needed for that?

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Nov 29, 14 5:44 PM
Rumbitothecore wrote:Wigi you made me smile

To stop myself getting het up about these things, I've decided casual games which are set in Britian, are actually set in a parallel universe.... then there are no inconsistencies or plot holes... because of string theory, all games will make perfect sense in one of the universes.

This is the universe, where Washington State is the cradle of civilisation, Jon Bon Jovi discovered Europe in 1711 and founded the capital city of England a year later, naming it, Dire Grove... oops scrap that he was a lieutenant something to do with U-571 and won a war after stealing a machine or something Unfortunately Dire Grove only had a hotel, shop, chemist, museum and a few houses dotted around, so the inhabitants with yorkshire accents decided it was a poor do that their city had less pubs than a hamlet (which everyone knows has at least 2 pubs, villages have at least 4) and moved to Blackpool to sell plastic boobs to lads on stag nights and confectionary in the shape of sorta anatomically correct male parts to squiffy ladies on hen nights. This left the city of Dire Grove to the folk with american, west country and mockney accents to deal with any wandering evil which may drifted by. The druids are just city bankers who like to run around the woods at the weekend in animal skins. It was definitely a wednesday when I, as MCF detective, came to Dire Grove last time.

Oh and Charles Dalimar exiled the ex-Dire Grovers some time in the 1800s for turning Blackpool into a vulgar den of iniquity, demolished the Pleasure Beach and built cliffs out of the rubble then perched Ravenhurst on top.

I've just remembered who discovered Europe... Walt Disney

You should be writing game plots.

You actually make sense and have a handle on cultural identity. That's two more attributes than the makers of this dog's dinner.

In your parallel universe, where do you see the "story arc" going?

I reckon it's about time Victor, (the son of Charles yet no mother has ever been mentioned), turns up dragging the slightly reanimated corpse of his father, onto a Mississippi riverboat in order to find the treasure lost in the swamp by the great grandfather who was a pirate, to rebuild their fortunes and allow the Dalimar dynasty to carry on defeating death and making intricate locks.

I reckon there are a few offspring we haven't met or heard about before willing to lend a hand.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 29, 14 10:39 PM
As a Canadian, I need to tell the Brits here to just roll your eyes and move on. Just seeing the temps in Fahrenheit and no "u"s in certain words bugged me but everything is done for a US audience. It's irritating but that's just how it is. I've spent my entire life dealing with idiotic stereotypes. You just need to roll your eyes and resist the urge to punch the moron in front of you.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 30, 14 12:40 AM
Wigi wrote:
tookat wrote:
I am loving it!

Are you saying you can't!!!

Well there goes a childhood belief.

I actually have to admit....although there are a lot of fireflies in my area, and one summer I seemed to have a pet firefly that ensconced itself in my bedroom to bring a little magic to someone who lives in bed.....
I have never attempted to make a firefly lantern.
So, maybe you can.

They were a cause of my getting lost quite often as a little kid, because I could not resist following them....and I was delighted to see the environment was healthy enough for them to come back into abundance here once again.

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Nov 30, 14 3:47 AM
Well Wigi in the next MCF's universe, following the trend of revisiting old game settings, I think the next game will take place in the deep south somewhere in the mangrove swamplands of Furnace Creek, ca. In the Crown mansion we will come across the Ghost Patrol investigating paranormal phenomena and discover that Kellie has been kidnapped by the time-travelling Victor who in turn turns out to be the dread pirate Crown We are whisked back in time to confront Victor after stepping into a portal opened by Jack in a chalk circle incanting the spell "Yo! freaky father christmas man, come and get us!"

Spoiler
After a lot of toing and froing and collecting stuff and opening doors and chests, we rescue Kellie and destroy the runic necklace, then put Victor in a home for retired Santa impersonators. We will have lots of help along the way in the form of "mummy's little helpers" - a flamingo to get high up stuff, a prarie dog to shove into holes for things (Be warned. You'll have to fix the vending machine to get its favourite snack of pickled onion flavoured monster munch before it will do anything for you) and a manatee called Flipper to ride and guide you during a nightmare journey through the swamp to the final confrontation.

There, I think that about does it

Hope I haven't spoiled the speculation for next years game

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Nov 30, 14 9:06 AM
Aw Tret, it's not an anti-american hatefest. I've never met an american I haven't liked

I was showing up, in a silly way, the film industry and games developers use of artistic licence. I guess they haven't access to Google to do a teeny-weeny bit of research (a 50p coin is 7-sided in britain - not a difficult one to get right!)... or perhaps they do and believe everything they read on the web

So I decided to use a bit of artistic licence for my version too ... google says I'm right about the swamps but I may be a couple of 100k years out

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Nov 30, 14 11:52 AM
This really isn't an anti American hatefest, the complete opposite in fact.

It's since MCF have moved away from the US, and it's this game that has disappointed me.
And in the OP, I made it quite clear that the main complaint was the ridiculous, lazy, non sensical storyline. Plus the lack of any wit or humour or innovation.

The US and the UK do have a shared culture to a large degree, lots of affection between the countries. My daughter is currently in the US for a year at Uni, why on earth would I hate the US?

The games are knocked out on the cheap, "cookie cutter" is the phrase I think people are using?
And it shows.

deebers2u
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by deebers2u on Nov 30, 14 5:23 PM
>>It's set in Dire Grove and nobody thinks to say "oh, I hope it's not the banshee making trouble again".

And where were all these Druids when that trouble kicked off anyway?<<

I wondered about that myself! I really wish they had given more reference to the earlier case than just the location.

>>And it's called a MCF game and the care was missing.<<

I think you hit it right on the head, Wigi. It's such a loss to the entire Big Fish community to lose the care and creativity that was in the earlier MCF games. Was this one playable? Sure, and maybe even a cut above many others. But there were too many obvious shortcuts by the developers and not enough time/effort spent on it to take it to that old blockbuster level, when we waited all year for the new offering.

The grand days of Mystery Case Files are over and I guess we might as well get used to that.

RIP MCF

bookworm42
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bookworm42 on Dec 1, 14 9:16 AM
i am too very disappointed with this latest game from MCF. after reading the initial 5* reviews i got really excited and decided to blow money i shouldnt on the collectors edition. i am a faithful buyer of all things MCF and get really excited near the time of release. this is the first game that is such a let down im struggling to play it. all of the above reviews sum it up really plus it just hasnt got that magic that earlier games had

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Dec 1, 14 10:39 AM
bookworm42 wrote:i am too very disappointed with this latest game from MCF. after reading the initial 5* reviews i got really excited and decided to blow money i shouldnt on the collectors edition. i am a faithful buyer of all things MCF and get really excited near the time of release. this is the first game that is such a let down im struggling to play it. all of the above reviews sum it up really plus it just hasnt got that magic that earlier games had

BIB

No they don't.

I didn't even get round to mentioning the "Oh dear, my memory was taken away by these Druid chaps and my family was torn apart and I missed my mother's death but that's all alright and I couldn't possibly bear a grudge" which would have been the expected reaction from the Druid brother/son.

Or did he kill the mother first which leads one to wonder why that wasn't ever mentioned by the hunter bloke along the lines of "it was so hard on his brother as he had lost his mother as well".

Or why once the brother found out he was the brother he had no interest in saying a quick "Hi" to his heartbroken Dad.

Nor the "red squirrel" (wrong in most of England) with the wonky ear who you had to feed to get it to do anything.
Now that wasn't annoying now was it?

pavlovscat
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,478 Posts

[Post New]by pavlovscat on Dec 1, 14 11:13 AM
Wigi, you made my day. I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

I was born in, and live just outside of, New Orleans, so I feel the British pain with these incongruities. Don't even get me started on the problems with how New Orleans and Louisiana are portrayed like in MCF13th Skull or Deadtime Stories. LOL

If you play games (or watch movies), you'd think everyone in Louisiana talks with a Cajun accent (I've been told I sound like I'm from New York or New Jersey), we all have alligators in our backyards (nope, just in my dinner!), we all live in swamp huts (I live in an average USA suburban house with a fenced back yard, plumbing and electricity) and the swamps are steps away from the city proper (nope again, gotta drive to get there unless you live in farthest New Orleans East and the swamps closest to the city are nothing like the spooky, moss draped cypress swamps in the games). Yes, we have a rich voodoo history, but you don't find the friendly neighborhood Voodoo Mistress on every corner.

I will say that it greatly aggravates me that the folder name for this one is abbreviated to MCF. Since the game manager rarely works properly anymore (And, yes, my AVP is set properly. Everything worked fine until the last update. The latest update to the game manager is just borked with no plans as far as I can see to fix it.), I had several minutes of hissy fit over not being able to find the folder to play the game. It never occurred to me that a flagship BF game would be abbreviated. That is just plain lazy. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because that is the typical result when successful companies get too big and start outsourcing. I'm sad to say that I feel the days of BFG's superiority are waning. Soon not even the bonus punches will be enough to make up for the loss of quality and customer care.

karatopa
Catfish
Catfish
1,550 Posts

[Post New]by karatopa on Dec 1, 14 11:46 AM
I haven't got very far in the game, but so far i'm enjoying it. I have been enjoying reading your posts, perhaps things will improve now that big fish has been sold.
but i won't hold my breath i think you are right the raven hurst games are what got me hooked on MCF i loved them until the last one (still traumatized by that pimple) but every game i am playing has slid in quality lately, and i think that is a reflection on the whole of this industry seemingly being moved to place's where English is not the first language i am still not sure where this game is set but i think the parallel universe theory is a good one

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 2, 14 11:49 AM
I am an American. I thought that there was something off about the accents but being generally ignorant about British regional accents I shrugged it off. I have also thought it odd that there is no Pub in DG (both games). In the original game there was a little more to the place than I have seen so far (am in CH. 6).

Overall, it is an OK game. I got it on sale at a good price so I took a chance. It is worth what I paid, maybe more. I like the art which is major in my decision to buy a game. In fact, I have nt bought some good games because I hated the art and have bought some fairly poor games because the art was great Eye Candy. I am, therefore, maybe not the best judge of a game as far as other peoples' prefs.

I do hate lots of videos and chit chat. This is why I have purchased few MCFs since the original Dire Grove. When I want to watch a movie I do that. When I want to play a game, I do NOT want to watch a movie. I think that BFG is under a good bit of pressure to produce something amazing each holiday season. Gamers have high expectations and the MCF brand is prime in that department. So, each Thanksgiving they release a game that has been a bit overworked in some parts (the Eye Candy/movies) and a bit under worked in other parts (actual game play and detail). I seldom by MCF any more. My last good one (IMO) was maybe the original Ravenhurst. I did like "Return to Ravenhurst" but it had a few bits that I did not like (no Skip option for puzzles, some of which were deviously difficult at the time). I did NOT like "Madame Fate". I must be one of the small handful of MCF fans that didn't. Well, I don't like carnivals for one thing. I shrugged that off as just a fluke and went on. Later I just stopped buying MCF. Sad because it is a favorite series and is a BFG product (even though made by the Pachyderm or whoever).

I always have hope that MCF will once again become a favorite for me but now that BFG is in the "movie business" regarding this series, I am not holding my breath. If the sales are good and BFG gets great reviews and wins awards for the series then I am very glad for them and all who develop the MCF games. I am happy for those who love these "movies". I am glad that the art is still top notch even if the acting is not. My best advice is to try the new games in the series. Many people still love them and they do get a little more challenging (I love that!) each year as new minis are introduced. Enjoy if you can!

SabreQueen
Clownfish
Clownfish
658 Posts

[Post New]by SabreQueen on Dec 14, 14 4:01 PM
I missed the disaster that was b4 Fates Carnival ( I will not even admit it as part of the MCF series) but do agree that the quality has deteriorated mightily from therein. MCF is the only game I buy now and really will consider this the last one unless things improve. MCF used to be something really special but w BF move to the online gambling and Play for Free, Things have changed. MCF is now just another game yes w hard puzzles but really so many have that now. Elephant Games does it's job but just enough- there is nothing special any more. The Dalimar connection has become SO strung out now does anyone rally care anymore?

I don't consider the sale of BF as a good portent- the home company's history is in the gambling industry not casual gaming.

Funny, years ago I warned about going back to the well too often in a series- eventually all u get is muck.

Go to: